Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Recreational & Family
Reload this Page >

Air Free tires, are great

Notices
Recreational & Family Ride just to ride? Have a family and want to get them into cycling? Drop in here to discuss recreational and family cycling issues.

Old 08-05-06, 10:21 PM
DougJ
Just starting out

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

As a novice pleasure rider, I really enjoy the freedom from worrying about flats. Now all I do is just ride. No more watching the road like a hawk to see every little pebble or nail or whatever. I just watch the road to make sure I stay on it. The Daytona TT simulated @120 psi are a great tire.
This is not an endorsement, merely a happy customer.
Old 08-05-06, 10:57 PM
twahl
Tom (ex)Builder

Bikes: Specialized Allez

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Glad you like them. They actually look like a decent solution and the price isn't bad. I'd consider them if I saw enough endorsements.

"It hurts so good..."
Old 08-06-06, 09:35 PM
scottogo

Bikes: Electra Townie 7D

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
They are solid tires. https://www.airfreetires.com/
Too hard for me. I'll vote for no-mor flats.
https://www.nomorflats.com/html/faq.html
Both add extra weight increasing rolling resistance but I'll agree with the OP: No more worries about flats!
Old 08-07-06, 02:05 AM
NzAndy

Bikes: 2004 Giant OCR3, 2003 Giant Upland (mtb)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
When I lived in Phoenix, AZ I had solid tires in my mtb. It was the only way I could keep from worrying about flats when the trails were all rocks and cactus. By the time I left and sold the bike the tires probably got more traction from all the goathead stickers in them than the actual tread.

If you get out on normal roads you can usually do well with normal tires. I haven't had a flat on the road bike for nearly 500 miles/800 km's. I'm running Conti Gator Skins in 700x21. Not quite bullet proof but a good tire for the money.
Old 08-07-06, 03:09 AM
trmcgeehan

Bikes: 1980 Univega; 1985 Ross; 1994 Trek 1400 -- all road bikes

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
How much does the airfree tire cost?

Doug: The Airfree tire sounds good to me. How much do they cost, and are they difficult to mount on the rim? I couldn't get the website www.airfreetires.com to load up.

Last edited by trmcgeehan; 08-07-06 at 03:25 AM.
Old 08-07-06, 08:09 AM
DougJ
Just starting out

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by trmcgeehan
Doug: The Airfree tire sounds good to me. How much do they cost, and are they difficult to mount on the rim? I couldn't get the website www.airfreetires.com to load up.
Another guy and myself did a small review of these tires on another forum, I'll PM you the forum link as I am not sure of the rules about linking to other forums.
Old 08-18-06, 10:37 AM
mudskipper99

Bikes: 2001 Schwinn Mesa Gsx

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
That is just what I was looking for, to ride on the Dempster Highway up in the Northwest Territories, Canada. The highway is gravel, 480 miles or so long, and they use sharp and pointy slate rock for some reason. I drove it in my VW and kept getting flats, but ive always wanted to ride my bike to the end at Inuvik. Ive seen others on their bikes. You would need to bring a trailer full of spares.
Old 08-18-06, 02:10 PM
scottogo

Bikes: Electra Townie 7D

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by trmcgeehan
From the site:
Never worry about another flat tire again.

You paid a lot of money for your bike and last thing you need in the middle of your exercise, pleasure ride or commute is a flat tire. Our easy to install and comfortable riding tires will let you go places that you wouldn’t go before because of rocks, glass and debris. Get a pair of Air Free and get peace of mind.

Any two tires and FREE install tool - One Low Price find out more....

Bicycle Tires Mobility / Wheelchair Tires
Complete Tire Kits Garden / Industrial Tires
Sale Tires Scooter Tires

Easy Tire Selection! Find your new tires in under 6 clicks. New!! QuickSize, use your pocket change to find your new tires. What is the size of your tire? 16", 20", 24", 26", 27", 700c, 28"

*Easy Installation for your Tires
Air Free has easy installation instructions with pictures you can actually see and use. We also include the instructions with each tire sent out and we are here for you seven days a week.

*Easy Ordering 24 Hours A Day
Air Free can take your order over the phone, the internet, fax and mail. We make it easy to do business with us on your terms.

The Air Free Guarantee
Our 90 day money back offer is good on all the tires that we carry. No other manufacturer or website gives you this complete of an assurance.

The Best Tires
With quality tires starting at $22.50, you can count on Air Free to bring you the best airless tires available today. Every tire we carry has been tried, tested and proven. We ride bikes too, so anything we sell has to be good.

Customer Support
We answer the phone, have pre-recorded messages, 24 hour ordering, return all emails and even install tires for customers ourselves. Air Free is the only company that is driven completely by customer feedback.

Information you can use
Air Free has the most comprehensive website ever put together about airless tires. Informative articles, test data, honest assessments and even little blurbs on the competition. We believe in airless tires and the benefits of increased safety and freedom from worry.

Get the tire you want made your way
Only Air Free can customize your tires to the psi you like. Everybody has certain needs and we understand this and this is why we can custom make tires for you.

Ask the President of Air Free your questions.
We get questions all the time, but our new "Ask Hugh" section lets you ask a question for which an answer will be posted to the Ask Hugh section so that others can read it.

Choose from Two Different Urethanes
Air Free now has a high resilient elastomer option for many of our tires. For those who are very demanding, the new elastomer is sure to please.

Ongoing Research and Development
We test tires and put the results where you can find them. Our tests actually compare our airless tires to name brand rubber tires. No other manufacturer has ever dared to do this.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
16h.jpg (7.1 KB, 676 views)
24e.jpg (6.2 KB, 675 views)
700c.jpg (5.1 KB, 676 views)
Old 06-05-08, 06:44 PM
rmcoburn

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Airfreetires.com less than reliable

They talk a good game about being reliable, how you can reach them by email and by phone and how they've got a great help desk.
Then they took my money
It's been more than a month since I placed my order. I can't reach them on the phone, the emails are not returned and the automated order look up doesn't work.
Look around on the web-I'm not the only one this has happened to.
Check with the Better Business Bureau in Florida:
https://www.orlando.bbb.org/codbrep.h...td.asp#CustExp
They've had 19 complaints in the last year! And that's just the ones that went to the BBB!
If you buy from them, make sure it's C.O.D. Try one of the other no-air tire systems.
Old 08-26-09, 07:05 PM
limeylew

Bikes: A 3-speed fixed, a single speed (freewheel), etc.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DougJ
As a novice pleasure rider, I really enjoy the freedom from worrying about flats. Now all I do is just ride. No more watching the road like a hawk to see every little pebble or nail or whatever. I just watch the road to make sure I stay on it. The Daytona TT simulated @120 psi are a great tire.
This is not an endorsement, merely a happy customer.
I have been using airless tires for about 10 years and they work perfectly for me.

Here is where I buy mine:-

https://www.bikemania.biz/Airless_No_...ires_s/173.htm

They seem to have the best prices and keep their promise about shipping time.
Old 08-27-09, 12:46 PM
DieselDan

Location: Beaufort, South Carolina, USA and surrounding islands.

Bikes: Cannondale R500, Motobecane Messenger

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Shill!!!!!!!!
Shill!!!!!!!!
Spammin is against forum rules shill.
Old 08-31-09, 01:06 PM
jdmitch
Non-Spandex Commuter

Bikes: Trek Soho S

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rmcoburn
They talk a good game about being reliable, how you can reach them by email and by phone and how they've got a great help desk.
Then they took my money
It's been more than a month since I placed my order. I can't reach them on the phone, the emails are not returned and the automated order look up doesn't work.
Look around on the web-I'm not the only one this has happened to.
Check with the Better Business Bureau in Florida:
https://www.orlando.bbb.org/codbrep.h...td.asp#CustExp
They've had 19 complaints in the last year! And that's just the ones that went to the BBB!
If you buy from them, make sure it's C.O.D. Try one of the other no-air tire systems.
Similar experience for me. Air Free promised to refund my money. They never did. I finally tried to get the money back via my credit card company but it had been too long. AFT has CRAPTASTIC customer service that lies.

You can buy direct from the MFR nu-teck.com. Which is what I will do sometime.
You don't need to dress up like a spandex super hero to ride your bike.
Old 08-31-09, 04:19 PM
RonH
Life is good

Bikes: 2018 Lynskey Helix Pro

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 522 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
If you're worried about flats, get some decent tires. I have Continental Grand Prix 4000 tires on my bike. I average about 2000 miles between flats. And I ride on the crappy streets on Atlanta.

I am a cyclist. I am not the fastest or the fittest. But I will get to where I'm going with a smile on my face.
Old 09-01-09, 09:42 PM
Velo Dog

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If they work for you, great. I tried them briefly, and I'd rather fix a flat every 50 miles than keep using them.
Old 09-01-09, 09:57 PM
zonatandem

Bikes: Custom Zona c/f tandem + Scott Plasma single

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 11 Posts
Did test riding years ago on airless tires on our tandem.
Tough to install/remove even with their special mounaing tool.
On super smooth roads, they rode fine.
Once it got bumpier/less perfect surface so was the ride.
Upon crossing a cattleguard (if you live out West you know what they are) it was like riding an eathquake!
I'd rather fix a flat!
Just our experience/opinion.
Old 09-01-09, 10:56 PM
Sci-Fi

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
These threads get revived or created periodically. IF you want to try a set, suggest looking at the wheelchair tires (even have 700C [28-622] and 26x1" [20-559] sizes). They have inserts (tube replacement) as well as 'airless' tires and in some applications, different densities (what they call 60, 80, or 100 psi equivalent). For $20 on up, it's not that big of an investment and there's plenty of tread patterns, colors, and tire construction materials to choose from. If you need to do a return, the big Medical supply companies are a lot better to deal with.

Kenda offers inserts, if you want a brand name:
https://www.americanairless.com/airfree_innertubes.htm
I would use tubular glue though to keep the tire on the rim, esp critical for fast cornering.

Airfree tires and/or inserts will be heavier than any pneumatic tire/tube or tubeless combination. And as mentioned, mounting airless anything is a pain.
Old 09-10-09, 12:59 AM
Sixty Fiver
Bicycle Repair Man !!!

Bikes: See my sig...

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 128 Times in 95 Posts
A quality conventional tyre is a better way to go... more and more of my bikes are sporting Schwalbe Marathons as I have found I like everything about them.

The performance is great; they roll fast, corner well, handle wet weather, and to date I have not gotten a flat in thousands upon thousands of kilometers.

I figure I will wear them out before I get a flat (and wearing them out takes a long time too) and this has been the experience of many of my customers at the shop.
Old 11-04-09, 10:30 PM
pradoro
Two-Wheeled Turtle

Bikes: Kona

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Airfree and Nu-tech are the worst...

Purchased some tires from Airfree - Nu-Tech (700x28, 90PSI) against the better judgment of others. The tires weren't even made correctly. The support cords on one weren't molded into the tire all the way making it un-usable and the other has a hard spot that is so bad that the bike wants to come apart over about 12 MHP. Multiple E-mails, support tickets, calls and I received nothing in return. Visa wouldn't step in since I tried to give the supplier a chance to correct the defects and went over the 30 day time limit. Save your hard earned money for something worth having....
Old 01-08-18, 10:33 AM
jstack6

Bikes: dahon folding

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm in Arizona too (Chandler) and got Global bikes flat guarantee. They do it on almost any tires and I have almost not flats and if I do they fix them for free.

Recently I got a Citizen folding bicycle with Muffin airfree tires. It's seems very good but is a little harder riding and maybe 10% more rolling resistance. Maybe they will be even better in 2 or 3 year when I replace them.
It's great to never have a flat. The extra RR gives me more exercise too.
Old 01-10-18, 03:15 PM
VegasTriker

Bikes: Catrike 700, Greenspeed GTO trike, , Linear LWB recumbent, Haluzak Horizon SWB recumbent, Balance 450 MTB, Cannondale SM800 Beast of the East

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 521 Post(s)
Liked 227 Times in 179 Posts
Zombie Thread Alert

It's "Muffin Airless Tires" https://www.businesswire.com/news/ho...-Airless-Tires

I realize with only four posts you are new to the site. Please start a new thread when you want to discuss something that has been discussed before but has been dormant since 11/09 and was started in 2006. I'm not sure if the brands mentioned in the older part of the thread are still available. From the negative comments I would guess they are probably not.

Reading the hype that accompanies the article I am not impressed (I'm a chemist).

Filled with a natural, stable gas, integrated with macromolecular materials, instead of air, Muffin tires will never need air - and never go flat." I am guessing that macromolecular materials means a polymer (plastic foam) and a "natural stable gas" could well be nitrogen. Sounds really mysterious if you couch it in the right words.
Old 01-23-18, 03:16 PM
Ogsarg

Bikes: 2019 Specialized Roubaix Comp Di2, 2009 Roubaix, early 90's Giant Iguana

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 636 Post(s)
Liked 1,490 Times in 543 Posts
clicked on the airfreetires link in the above post and my anti virus detection started flashing. Started seeing redirect here and there and quickly aborted.
Old 01-28-18, 06:37 PM
jstack6

Bikes: dahon folding

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
try www dot citizenbike.com and look at the airfree tire option like I got.

Exclusive: Upgrade to MuffinŽ Airless tires

Want to ride flat-free forever? Upgrade to a set of airless Muffin tires for $89. These tires can ride from MIAMI to TOKYO without a pit-stop. Learn more.
Old 01-28-18, 06:53 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18320 Post(s)
Liked 4,489 Times in 3,338 Posts
Originally Posted by jstack6
These tires can ride from MIAMI to TOKYO without a pit-stop. Learn more.
How well do they float?

Or do you head up to Alaska, and cross on the winter sea ice? Do Polar Bears eat them?
Old 06-21-18, 01:36 AM
Francisco Vega

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yeah the airless tires are really good, I've been using them for 2 years and I prefer them, also the price is really low!