Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Why don't motorcycle riders complain...

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-06, 06:29 PM
Digital Gee
I need more cowbell.

Bikes: 2015 Specialized Sirrus Elite

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

...about not having multiple positions for their hands on their handlebars? Or do they? After all, they go for long rides too?

Proud member of the original Club Tombay
Old 08-14-06, 06:42 PM
Bikewer

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
The riding position on most bikes is such that little weight is on the hands and arms. The exception would be racing-style "clip-ons" such as you see on actual road racers and cafe racers. But the full-bore riding position on these bikes is virtually lying on the tank. Some even feature a chin-pad.
Old 08-14-06, 06:52 PM
redden
Old fart

Bikes: 02 Specialized Allez, Cannondale M700

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
On the R1 the riding position is not condusive to long slow touring, you do learn to use the legs and abs for support on the track because placing your weight on the bars or holding on to them when coming out of turns (to keep from sliding back from acceleration) can resulting some very unnerving headshake. On the more upright MC's it's not an issue. There are far more similarities than differences but I doubt there will ever be a MC version of a Triathalon bike.
Old 08-14-06, 07:04 PM
Az B
Fattest Thin Man

Bikes: Miyata 610, Vinco V, Rocky Mountain Element

Liked 4 Times in 1 Post
I used to have a boss with a Ducati race replica. He let me ride it home once in a while, since he never rode it much and he figured it needed to be ridden some. It was a great bike, a lot of fun to ride, but after my 30 mile ride home, I was ready to get off. It put way too much weight on my hands.

Now my bike is more sport touring oriented and is comfortable for 300-400 miles at a shot. No issues with hand or butt.

Az
Old 08-14-06, 07:44 PM
bobkat
bobkat

Bikes: Modified Burley Koosah, Trek Navigater folding, downtube folding

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Bent riders go for long rides too, but don't need multiple places for their hands as they are so comfortable they never notice the carpal tunnel and back and neck pain that the upwrong bikers experience. Their main problem is trying not to fall asleep as they are so comfy! Hehe!
Old 08-14-06, 08:17 PM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8273 Post(s)
Liked 9,026 Times in 4,469 Posts
Motocross/desert riders have to deal with a thing called "arm pump" where the forearms get numb and stiff from holding on to the bars so tight. Training programs have been developed to help this. I used the thick foam grips and bar position was critical for me.
Old 08-14-06, 08:22 PM
2manybikes

Bikes: 2 many

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1266 Post(s)
Liked 323 Times in 169 Posts
Originally Posted by Digital Gee
...about not having multiple positions for their hands on their handlebars? Or do they? After all, they go for long rides too?
Sometimes we do. One thing in favor of the motorcycle is the air coming at your chest at 70 mph reduces some of the presure on your wrist on a long road ride. Depending on how upright your bars are.
Some motorcycles have vibration problems with the grips too. And uncomfortable seats etc.

I did not like a full fairing on my BMW, it put too much pressure on my wrists without the air coming at me. I took it off.
Old 08-15-06, 07:25 AM
gear

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by 2manybikes

I did not like a full fairing on my BMW, it put too much pressure on my wrists without the air coming at me. I took it off.
Thats funny, I took the fairing off my BMW too but it was because I felt like I was riding behind a refrigerator door. What a great ride it became after that.
Old 08-15-06, 07:39 AM
2manybikes

Bikes: 2 many

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1266 Post(s)
Liked 323 Times in 169 Posts
Originally Posted by gear
Thats funny, I took the fairing off my BMW too but it was because I felt like I was riding behind a refrigerator door. What a great ride it became after that.
I felt like I was in a car with the top down too.

I didn't want a convertible I wanted a bike.
Old 08-15-06, 08:02 AM
Olebiker
Resident Old Fart

Bikes: Douglas Precision Ti

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've been considering a Kawasaki Concours, a sport touring bike. One of the things riders complain about is hand numbness. I think that would make the bike a non-starter for me.
Old 08-15-06, 09:26 AM
Cyclist0094
Banned.

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I have had one motorcycle, a Norton Commando that seldom ran long enough to get tired on.

On a bicycle it has never been an issue of multiple hand positions for me. It has been how much load my hands are carrying. If your hands go numb it is because they are carrying a lot of weight for an extended period of time, The cure is raising the bars and/or shortening the stem reach. I can look aerodynamic and racy but only ride maybe 50-60 miles before my hands are ready to fall off, Or I can raise the bars to a comfortable level where I can ride well over 100 miles and not have hand problems
Old 08-15-06, 05:31 PM
TysonB

Bikes: 1969 Peugeot U08, unknown MTB circa 1980, '93? Merckx MX-Leader

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
DG,

I regularly ride a 1983 CB-1100f Honda. It's a 100 hp 4-cylinder sport touring bike with semi-low bars. I can ride it 10 hours a day and easily put in 600-mile days on cross-countries.

I have multiple hand positions, but in the end you have to keep your hand on the throttle and the right hand does get tired. Other posters have referred to lying on the tank, but I lie on a tank bag that keeps a couple of days of clothes/necessities. It takes a lot of weight off the hands.

Nontheless, on long straights I will use the left hand on the throttle sometimes and move around on the bike quite a bit.

Two wheeled vehicles are great, so long as the two wheels are one behind the other (no ox carrts please)!

Tyson
Cushing, Oklahoma
Old 08-15-06, 06:25 PM
redden
Old fart

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
One of the most comfortable bikes I ever owned was the BMW F650, once did 750 miles in a day. Rode to San Thomas, rode 50 miles of the Baja 1000 course and back. No monkey butt or sore arms.
Old 08-15-06, 06:32 PM
NOS88

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
Every motorcycle I've owned has gone from 0 to 60 in a very short period of time. A good motorcycle is like having a roller coaster at your beck and call anytime, anywhere. Additionally, you don't have to pedal to go up hills. Just what is there to complain about? A little hand pressure? Gladly make that trade off to get my azz going down the road as fast as a motorcycle will take it.
Old 08-15-06, 06:48 PM
redden
Old fart

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by NOS88
Every motorcycle I've owned has gone from 0 to 60 in a very short period of time. A good motorcycle is like having a roller coaster at your beck and call anytime, anywhere. Additionally, you don't have to pedal to go up hills. Just what is there to complain about? A little hand pressure? Gladly make that trade off to get my azz going down the road as fast as a motorcycle will take it.
Agreed!!!!
I started riding bicycles to stay in shape for riding trackdays and maybe some club racing. Funny thing is I get as much satisfaction out of the pedal pushes now.
Motocycles have been the love of my life. Fell in love with riding on a 1968 Honda Scrambler, over 1 millon miles and a few trips the ER later I enjoy them more now then when I was young. Can't imagine life without one.
Old 08-16-06, 10:16 AM
Artkansas 
Pedaled too far.

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
The problem is that the throttle is stuck on the end of the bar. You kind of have to keep your hand there wether you want to or not. Otherwise it's a brilliant suggestion. One foot is already busy with the gearing, so I guess you could put the throttle on the other foot. You'd have to design carefully or you might scrape your gas pedal off just when you need it to accelerate out of a corner.
Old 08-16-06, 06:38 PM
no motor?
Unlisted member

Bikes: Specialized Hardrock

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1376 Post(s)
Liked 432 Times in 297 Posts
I've used one of these for years, https://www.throttlerocker.com/ and it helps solve many of the postural problems associated with riding. No more numbness, tingling or cramping when I'm out, but I usually quit before 12 hours are up. I've seen them on many of the Iron Butt riders bikes too, and they know about long rides! https://www.ironbutt.com/about/default.cfm
Old 08-17-06, 11:15 AM
Big Paulie

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My motorcycle experience is limted to cable TV chopper building shows. Makes me think a reality show about the posters in 50+ would be a real winner. They could follow the main characters throughout their day, and then watch as they boot up their whisper-quiet, Lotus 1 2 3 driven computers that evening and start to post. On-going sub-plots could be DG going into shops and looking at new bikes, or Cross Chain's extensive collection of Dave Stoller memorabilia interfering with his romatic pursuits, or DnvrFox's musical career.

Last edited by Big Paulie; 08-17-06 at 11:20 AM.
Old 08-17-06, 10:58 PM
TysonB

Bikes: 1969 Peugeot U08, unknown MTB circa 1980, '93? Merckx MX-Leader

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This thread confirms what has been noted here before . . . there is an affinity between motorcycle riders and bicyclists. There are a lot experienced and still regular motorcyclists here.

Tyson
Cushing, Oklahoma

1983 Honda CB-1100-f
1969 Honda CB-750 (Sand-cast case original torquoise green/blue 4-piper)
1965 CB-160 (Baby Super Hawk)
1955 Simplex Sportsman
Old 08-20-06, 05:11 PM
mrisis

Bikes: Schwinn S-30

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I ride a 81 yamaha 750 seca sport/touring bike and also run with a throttle lock, really helps out with the numbness and pin cushions.
Old 08-21-06, 12:46 AM
greywolf
aka old dog

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
In a simular vane, reading a NZ motor cycle mag. they complain about the same things we do with cars & their drivers & even call them "cagers", maybe we should join to-gether to lobby for more ' two wheel freindly' legistation!
Old 08-21-06, 06:12 AM
capejohn

Bikes: Giant easy e, Priority Onyx, Scott Sub 40, Marin Belvedere Commuter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 56 Times in 32 Posts
Do you snicker when you post these things?