Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Helmets for the hirsutically challenged

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-06, 10:50 AM
DougG
Road Runner

Bikes: 2017 Felt VR5, 2013 Specialized Crosstrail, 2020 Specialized Vado 4.0

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked 46 Times in 21 Posts

I've been thinking of getting a new roadie helmet for next year that will be lighter and better-vented than the MTB-oriented helmet that I've been wearing. But then I started thinking of the possible effect of the sun through those vents on my bare scalp.

There is nothing more painful than a sunburned scalp, and I am rarely outside without a cap on sunny days. And the only thing I could think of that could be worse than a sunburned scalp would be a scalp that is sunburned with a helmet-vent pattern! I guess I could use sunblock, but putting sunblock on my head also doesn't sound too appealing.

Is this a valid concern? Anyone else have any experience in this area?
Old 10-10-06, 11:04 AM
Digital Gee
I need more cowbell.

Bikes: 2015 Specialized Sirrus Elite

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DougG
I've been thinking of getting a new roadie helmet for next year that will be lighter and better-vented than the MTB-oriented helmet that I've been wearing. But then I started thinking of the possible effect of the sun through those vents on my bare scalp.

There is nothing more painful than a sunburned scalp, and I am rarely outside without a cap on sunny days. And the only thing I could think of that could be worse than a sunburned scalp would be a scalp that is sunburned with a helmet-vent pattern! I guess I could use sunblock, but putting sunblock on my head also doesn't sound too appealing.

Is this a valid concern? Anyone else have any experience in this area?
While not follicly challenged, I do wear my hair short, so I can relate. I started wearing a skull cap under my helmet to protect my dome from the sun, which at first felt funny but now feels so normal I never ride without it. Plus, if I fall and there is some skull damage, the cap will keep my brains in place a little longer.

Proud member of the original Club Tombay
Old 10-10-06, 11:07 AM
buelito
train safe

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
HEADSWEATS or the generic equivalent worn under the helmet... have been doing it for years

train safe-
Old 10-10-06, 11:27 AM
bcoppola
King of the molehills

Bikes: '04 Giant OCR2, DIY light tourer built on on Scattante cross frame, '87 Schwinn World Sport F/G conversion, '85 Schwinn Super Le Tour

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
And there's always the cotton bandana, aka "do-rag".

But having a lush, thick head of hair myself I wouldn't know about your situation.
Old 10-10-06, 11:43 AM
head_wind
Hypoxic Member

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
On my first day with a high-zoot helmet, in the late afternoon, I cast a shadow with holes in it. (Yea, yea, yea, mostly from the helmet!) I have to wear a beanie and I have come to prefer it.
Old 10-10-06, 11:54 AM
leob1

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 292 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 69 Posts
Not me personally but, my nephew who had a job as a bicycle police officer, was required to wear a helmet, and he shaved his head. His head had the pattern of the vent holes burned into his scalp, it was quite funny looking. So yes you are right to be concerned. Try sunscreen.
Old 10-10-06, 12:58 PM
Nightshade
Humvee of bikes =Worksman

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by buelito
HEADSWEATS or the generic equivalent worn under the helmet... have been doing it for years

train safe-
+10000 on Headsweats. I'm not bald but I wear them whenever I work outside or ride. Great product!!

Originally Posted by krazygluon
Steel: nearly a thousand years of metallurgical development
Aluminum: barely a hundred, which one would you rather have under your butt at 30mph?
Old 10-10-06, 01:32 PM
sauerwald

Bikes: Bianchi San Remo - set up as a utility bike, Peter Mooney Road bike, Peter Mooney commute bike,Dahon Folder,Schwinn Paramount Tandem

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have a tan where the vent holes are - it can be prevented by wearing a cap or do-rag under the helmet.

DO NOT use sunscreen, when you sweat, the sweat will carry the sunscreen down into your eyes and it will hurt like he**.
Old 10-10-06, 01:41 PM
stapfam
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
try night riding?

I am getting a less hair to cover the bald patch- but I do not find sun a problem. I keep moving around and the sun does not hit in one place long enough to cause a problem- Except for the back of the neck and this is where the bandana worn at the back of the helmet comes in.

Spike Milligan
Old 10-10-06, 02:42 PM
BluesDawg
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
Headsweats or just a bandana folded into a triangle and tied behind the head. Works great. Keep the bandana wet and the evaporation cools your head on a hot day.
Old 10-10-06, 04:41 PM
Metric Man
Old Fart Racing

Bikes: 2015 Trek Domane 6.9 disc D/A Di2

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Wasn't it already determined in another thread that helmets are useless?

Oh yeah, doo rag.
Old 10-10-06, 06:04 PM
KenP

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm folicly challenged also, and had never worn a bicycle helmet in my life until got the Trek 4500 this spring. LBS had sale running so picked up a helmet and looked in mirror to check fit. Oh, oh bare skin, thats not gonna be good, plus looks wierd. Can't see me wearing a rag on my head. May sound silly, but I took gray landscape cloth and cut banana shaped pieces to fit in the gaps, and hot glued in place. Air flows thru nicely, but no rays, and no bugs. Real cheap, easy and from the outside looks all same color as helmet.
Old 10-10-06, 07:02 PM
SemperFi

Bikes: 05' Specialized Sequoia Elite

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
+1
Old 10-10-06, 07:13 PM
DnvrFox
Banned.

Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts

train safe-
+2
Old 10-10-06, 09:49 PM
Mojo Slim
Lincoln, CA

Bikes: 94 Giant ATX 760, 2001 Biachi Eros, 2005 Giant OCR2 Composite +

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by sauerwald
I have a tan where the vent holes are - it can be prevented by wearing a cap or do-rag under the helmet.

DO NOT use sunscreen, when you sweat, the sweat will carry the sunscreen down into your eyes and it will hurt like he**.
+1 on no sunscreen above the eyes. It hurts. Being follically challenged myself, I have a light weight headsweat, a heavier "do rag" )actually for motorcycles) and a bike hat. I rotate them. Never leave home without one. Besides sun protection, there is sweat management.
'05 Giant OCR Llimited Carbon Fiber + upgrades
Old 10-10-06, 10:03 PM
oilman_15106

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

train safe-
Look in Wally marts hunting department. They had a camo thing like the Headsweats thing for less than 2 bucks. Works just fine. You can buy 10 of em for the price of one Headseats thing.
Old 10-11-06, 04:25 AM
BluesDawg
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
Cut the psuedo-PC nonsense. We're not follicaly challenged or however you spell it, we're bald.
Old 10-13-06, 06:08 PM
KenP

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Can't be. If I'm bald, why the hell do I still have to pay 10$ for a haircut??
Old 10-13-06, 06:30 PM
DnvrFox
Banned.

Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by KenP
Can't be. If I'm bald, why the hell do I still have to pay 10$ for a haircut??
$10

Around here it is $12 (plus a very expected tip), and I bought my own clippers and said to heck with the barbershop. And I do it myself.
Old 10-14-06, 11:07 AM
GreenRiver

Bikes: Gary Fisher Zebrano

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DougG
I've I guess I could use sunblock, but putting sunblock on my head also doesn't sound too appealing...
Bull Frog quick gel spf 36. My bald cabeza aint been burned yet , and the sun is brutal around these parts.
Old 10-15-06, 05:40 PM
NextLevelMentor
Born To Ride Fast

Bikes: Bianchi Track Bike as a Fixed Gear on the Road

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Helmets, Baldness and Sun

I've opted to go with a Windcheetah Recumbent Racing Trike so I am both very low to the ground and only really feeling the need for a helmet on long high speed mountain decents. I go helmentless other wise and just do sun screen on days where I'm in the saddle heading in one direction for over 2 hours at a time. You would think some helmet company would make a helmet series that takes in all of its air at the forhead area and vents at the back at the bottom of the skull for this purpose. I can't see a Do Rag as climbing with one or riding in 100 + degree temps would be miserable to fatal insulating ones head like that I would think. Plus my skull is so wide that the only helmets I have found that will fit it (and then only with the thinnest pads they make for it is the Bell's. Forget Giro or any of the skinny head Euro brands.
Old 10-15-06, 05:45 PM
Metric Man
Old Fart Racing

Bikes: 2015 Trek Domane 6.9 disc D/A Di2

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by NextLevelMentor
I've opted to go with a Windcheetah Recumbent Racing Trike so I am both very low to the ground and only really feeling the need for a helmet on long high speed mountain decents. I go helmentless other wise and just do sun screen on days where I'm in the saddle heading in one direction for over 2 hours at a time. You would think some helmet company would make a helmet series that takes in all of its air at the forhead area and vents at the back at the bottom of the skull for this purpose. I can't see a Do Rag as climbing with one or riding in 100 + degree temps would be miserable to fatal insulating ones head like that I would think. Plus my skull is so wide that the only helmets I have found that will fit it (and then only with the thinnest pads they make for it is the Bell's. Forget Giro or any of the skinny head Euro brands.
You know, with a bike like that you could just put a roof on it.
Old 10-15-06, 08:06 PM
greywolf
aka old dog

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My hair is grey/blonde , the sun bleaches my hair through the vents in the helmet, & my daughter (a hairdresser) recons it looks like I've had a budget high-light job done !
Old 10-15-06, 08:15 PM
spry

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Wallymart camo head net

That elastic camo mesh at Wallymart can also be placed over your helmet as sun and bug protection.
This will give you a middle age,no nonsense,urban commando type look while protecting that Q-ball from the rays.The image may develope a profound respect of right-of-way for you when riding near auto,s.
Besides,I heard they are coming out with camo spandex riding shorts this spring.