Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

H2O Bottle cleaning

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

H2O Bottle cleaning

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-07, 10:49 AM
campysuks

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
H2O Bottle cleaning

How do you guys clean the tops of your H2O bottle? I looked at all my bottle top and there is some "growth" in the nozzle and around the perimeter. Is there a way to get in there? A special cleanser?
Old 02-03-07, 11:00 AM
rha600

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
try bleach.
Old 02-03-07, 11:03 AM
happyvalley
crzylry

Bikes: BMC Team Machine, Santa Cruz Bulr LT, Specialized S-Works FSR

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Denture tabs kill everything.
Old 02-03-07, 11:15 AM
slvoid
2-Cyl, 1/2 HP @ 90 RPM

Bikes: 04' Specialized Hardrock Sport, 03' Giant OCR2 (SOLD!), 04' Litespeed Firenze, 04' Giant OCR Touring, 07' Specialized Langster Comp

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Um.. maybe if you just rinsed it out every day there wouldn't be any.. "growth".
In any event, I just chuck mine in the dishwasher, no probs so far, YMMV (might even melt).

Otherwise, try denture tabs or hydroperoxide.
Old 02-03-07, 11:40 AM
ElJamoquio
Burning Matches.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 4077 Post(s)
Liked 1,002 Times in 676 Posts
Rinse it every day. Goes in the dishwasher every once in a while. Usually when I put a non-water product in there, I re-fill it mid ride with water, though, so your mileage may vary.
Old 02-03-07, 12:19 PM
n4zou
Scott

Bikes: Too Many

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Dawn with Bleach.
https://www.homemadesimple.com/sites/...each_alt.shtml
Old 02-03-07, 12:37 PM
urbanknight
Over the hill

Bikes: Giant Defy, Giant Revolt

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 996 Post(s)
Liked 1,204 Times in 690 Posts
Yep, I rinse it out right after each ride and put them in the dishwasher once a week. If I forget and get some crud on it, bleach helps (then dishwasher, because bleach is not tasty or healthy).

edit: Slice2 is right, don't throw it away if it can be cleaned.

Last edited by urbanknight; 02-04-07 at 01:11 AM.
Old 02-03-07, 12:46 PM
rha600

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I typically use my camelbak anyway. I rinse that out good and then hang it to dry with their special hanger inserted. a little bleach won't hurt you either. key word, "little". during hurricanes down here that is actually how we make clean drinking water. But I think knight has the best solution. replace it.
Old 02-03-07, 12:55 PM
urbanknight
Over the hill

I forgot about the bleach for cleaning water. We don't have hurricanes here, but I'll have to keep that in mind if we have an earthquake. Had 2 small ones this week, that should buy us some more time before the big one.
Old 02-03-07, 01:00 PM
barba

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Like others suggest, a bit of diluted bleach will do wonders. You have to be especially mindful if you drink sports drinks or anything besides water in your bottles.
Old 02-03-07, 01:04 PM
urbanknight
Over the hill

That's true. I haven't any problems after switching to all water in my bottles. Be sure to bring salty energy snacks though.
Old 02-03-07, 01:37 PM
San Rensho 

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 383 Post(s)
Liked 133 Times in 91 Posts
Walgreens has cheapo "sports" bottles for less than $1 each in packages of 4. At the first sign of grunge, throw it away and pick up another.

They come in different colors for the OCP crowd, and they shoot a good tight stream of water a long way for fending off dogs.

1980 3Rensho-- 1975 Raleigh Sprite 3spd
1990s Raleigh M20 MTB--2007 Windsor Hour (track)
1988 Ducati 750 F1
Old 02-03-07, 02:31 PM
Husker72
For the love of cycling

Bikes: Fuji 2004 Team Issue DuraAce

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I put mine through the dishwasher as often as I can. But if you have growth in them, I'd fill the sink with as hot of water as you can get, even better would be boiling water and let em soak (bleach optional but may dull colored bottles or the writing on them). As the water cools enough that you can stand to grab the bottles, swish em around in the sink to try and loosen that stuff up. Then immediately put em in the dishwasher and start it on the longest cycle you can making sure the nipples are open. If it still doesn't get cleaned out, toss it.
Old 02-03-07, 09:37 PM
Slice2

Bikes: 2006 Cannondale Six13 Team 1, 1984 Cannondale, 1979 Motobecane Team Champion, 1994 Fat City Yo' Eddy Team

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by San Rensho
Walgreens has cheapo "sports" bottles for less than $1 each in packages of 4. At the first sign of grunge, throw it away and pick up another.

They come in different colors for the OCP crowd, and they shoot a good tight stream of water a long way for fending off dogs.
Please don't throw water bottles out merely because they need a little cleaning. Take it easy on the environment. Sheesh! Do you throw your clothing away when it's dirty?

To the OP - it's ridiculously easy to clean crud out of a bottle. As already posted, bleach (maybe 1/8" in the bottom), fill w/hot water from the tap, close cap, open the spout so the water can get at the inner part of the spout where your crud is, and lay horizontally in the sink overnight. In the morning, rinse w/hot water a few times and you're good to go. Also helps to get rid of the plastic smell, BTW.
Old 02-03-07, 09:57 PM
greywolf
aka old dog

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Put a bit hot water in the bottom of the bottle place the top beside it in the microwave & give them a good 'nukeing' this should sterilize them ok.
Old 02-03-07, 11:52 PM
Nachoman
well hello there

Bikes: Bill Holland (Road-Ti), Fuji Roubaix Pro (back-up), Bike Friday (folder), Co-Motion (tandem) & Trek 750 (hybrid)

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 503 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 206 Posts
[QUOTE=Slice2]Please don't throw water bottles out merely because they need a little cleaning. /QUOTE]

+1 Everything in our society these days is so disposable. No need.

Two wheels good. Four wheels bad.
Old 02-04-07, 12:16 AM
FIVE ONE SIX
SpIn SpIn SuGaR!

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
i don't know about you guys, but i would personally hesitate to use something like bleach to clean something that i'm going to drink out of, especially since it says "harmful if swallowed" and "do not ingest" on the back of the label. i use dish washing liquid and a bottle brush, after starting a similar thread a few months ago, and it gets pretty much everywhere i need to get to. but hey, that's just me...

and i agree about not throwing away a bottle, just because of something like this, there's no need to throw it away!
Old 02-04-07, 12:33 AM
Moochers_Dad
a blend of wit and charm

Bikes: Serotta Fierte and a 1989 Centurian Prestige (plus, various others)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by happyvalley
Denture tabs kill everything.
If it wasn't for Denture Tabs, my dear Aunt Mimi would still be with us.
Old 02-04-07, 06:23 AM
7Sisters

Bikes: Trek 6700 Mountain Bike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by FIVE ONE SIX
i don't know about you guys, but i would personally hesitate to use something like bleach to clean something that i'm going to drink out of, especially since it says "harmful if swallowed" and "do not ingest" on the back of the label. i use dish washing liquid and a bottle brush, after starting a similar thread a few months ago, and it gets pretty much everywhere i need to get to. but hey, that's just me...

and i agree about not throwing away a bottle, just because of something like this, there's no need to throw it away!
If you dilute the bleach you are fine! I will check with some of my backpacking colleagues to see how much you have to dilute it. The other thing that you can do is use a q-tip and alcohol swab. When I am long distance backpacking, I will get mold growing in my water bottles and will use the alcohol swab to clean off the mold. The other issue is water versus sugar drinks. You won't get too much mold growing if you just use water and rinse out your bottles. However you will eventually get mold if you use s sports drink - unless you wash it our after each use.

Regarding throwing away water bottles when they get gunked - I would rather see you throw away that idea and clean your bottles. It would be great for all if we walk softer and make a smaller footprint on the environment. Yea so many things are disposable, but doesn't mean you need to buy disposable items does it! Get something you can wash, wash it out and feel good about the smaller footprint you are leaving on the environment.

Peace be with you
Old 02-04-07, 09:43 AM
slvoid
2-Cyl, 1/2 HP @ 90 RPM

Bikes: 04' Specialized Hardrock Sport, 03' Giant OCR2 (SOLD!), 04' Litespeed Firenze, 04' Giant OCR Touring, 07' Specialized Langster Comp

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts

While I use a filter, I can also disinfect water with small amounts of bleach for drinking when I go hiking, I can assure you, it's safe to wash it with.
Old 02-04-07, 10:10 AM
ElJamoquio
Burning Matches.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 4077 Post(s)
Liked 1,002 Times in 676 Posts

You're basically just over-chlorinating the water when you add bleach to it. Rinse repeatedly and you'll be fine.
Old 02-04-07, 10:26 AM
dekalbSTEEL
Well, duh, Mr Obvious.

Bikes: see sig, and others

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i don't know about you guys, but i would personally hesitate to use something like bleach to clean something that i'm going to drink out of,

Then don't ever drink out of a glass at a restaurant, what do you think they use to sanitize them after washing?
Old 02-04-07, 10:33 AM
slvoid
2-Cyl, 1/2 HP @ 90 RPM

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by dekalbSTEEL
Then don't ever drink out of a glass at a restaurant, what do you think they use to sanitize them after washing?
They santize the glasses?
Old 02-04-07, 10:43 AM
rha600

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ElJamoquio
You're basically just over-chlorinating the water when you add bleach to it. Rinse repeatedly and you'll be fine.
https://www.bt.cdc.gov/disasters/bleach.asp
Old 02-04-07, 10:45 AM
banerjek
Portland Fred

Bikes: Custom Winter, Challenge Seiran SL, Fuji Team Pro, Cattrike Road/Velokit, РOS hybrid

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 232 Post(s)
Liked 53 Times in 35 Posts
Until this thread, it had never occurred to me to clean the top by doing any more than wiping it off.....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.