Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Living Car Free
Reload this Page >

Pro-bike propaganda film

Notices
Living Car Free Do you live car free or car light? Do you prefer to use alternative transportation (bicycles, walking, other human-powered or public transportation) for everyday activities whenever possible? Discuss your lifestyle here.

Pro-bike propaganda film

Old 05-03-08, 06:12 PM
bragi
bragi

Bikes: LHT

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Pro-bike propaganda film

I just watched this film, and, despite its Pollyanna-like tone, sorta liked it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5rwwxrWHBB8&NR=1
Old 05-03-08, 06:38 PM
bhc

Bikes: Surly Crosscheck, Haro Mary, Redline Monocog, Trek 930

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for finding that. I did notice that no one was wearing helmets. Of course no cars around to fear an accident. (Not trying to start a debate on helmet use, just an observation)
Old 05-03-08, 07:01 PM
bragi
bragi

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by bhc
Thanks for finding that. I did notice that no one was wearing helmets. Of course no cars around to fear an accident. (Not trying to start a debate on helmet use, just an observation)
I noticed the lack of helmets, too, and then decided it's because they're all riding around on really heavy Dutch 3-speed bikes at a speed that rarely exceeds 12 mph. Combined with the relative absence of cars, they couldn't really hurt themselves anyway, unless they got drunk and fell into a canal, in which case a helmet wouldn't help them much anyway.

I also noticed that they were all wearing "normal" clothes. Not a stitch of Lycra anywhere. I've said this elsewhere, but I'll say it again: if they didn't feel that they had to wear special clothing, more people would ride bikes.
Old 05-03-08, 07:32 PM
wahoonc
Membership Not Required

Bikes: Giant Excursion, Raleigh Sports, Raleigh R.S.W. Compact, Motobecane? and about 20 more! OMG

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by bhc
It was filmed in countries where people don't wear helmets on a regular basis. ie; Denmark and The Netherlands. They also have a well developed cycling infrastructure where they don't necessarily have to fight for road space, with vehicles that out weigh them by a ratio of 200-800:1 I honestly think the lack of cycling specific infrastructure is what keeps a fair number of people from cycling in the US. That and the constant sensationalism by the media when a cyclist gets killed or injured, followed by the ignorant, uniformed comments of the average motorist, and the rhetoric as well as divisiveness of the various groups lobbying for cycle structure. Also the lack/lax enforcement of traffic laws on everybody, cyclists included.

I saw a comment somewhere on Copehagenize that the last 6 cyclists that died in Copenhagen were killed when they ran into signpost or light poles after a night drinking.

Aaron

ISO: A late 1980's Giant Iguana MTB frameset (or complete bike) 23" Red with yellow graphics.

"Cycling should be a way of life, not a hobby.
RIDE, YOU FOOL, RIDE!"
_Nicodemus

"Steel: nearly a thousand years of metallurgical development
Aluminum: barely a hundred
Which one would you rather have under your butt at 30mph?"
_krazygluon
Old 05-03-08, 09:05 PM
stevo9er

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This video is amazing; every city planner should have to watch it.

Last edited by stevo9er; 05-03-08 at 09:13 PM.
Old 05-04-08, 11:45 AM
Nightshade
Humvee of bikes =Worksman

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Soon someone will post....."In America the distances are so far and
America isn't flat like Denmark."

Anything to take away from the hard truth in this video.

Originally Posted by krazygluon
Steel: nearly a thousand years of metallurgical development
Aluminum: barely a hundred, which one would you rather have under your butt at 30mph?
Old 05-04-08, 12:52 PM
jamesdenver
jim anchower

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Nice - I made my own videos. I think I was going a bit faster - but no helmet for me either...
Old 05-04-08, 01:22 PM
donnamb 
tired

Bikes: Breezer Uptown 8, U frame

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I've seen this before and I really like it. I think could show North Americans that cycling for transportation can be as "normal" as getting into a car.
"Real wars of words are harder to win. They require thought, insight, precision, articulation, knowledge, and experience. They require the humility to admit when you are wrong. They recognize that the dialectic is not about making us look at you, but about us all looking together for the truth."
Old 05-04-08, 01:47 PM
BarracksSi
Bike ≠ Car ≠ Ped.

Bikes: Some bikes. Hell, they're all the same, ain't they?

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Either it was edited with great focus, or most of the young women there are simply beautiful.

Old 05-04-08, 02:17 PM
Nycycle

Bikes: Long Haul Trucker

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
How we gonna get that on every TV in the US?
Old 05-04-08, 02:43 PM
bragi
bragi

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by BarracksSi
Either it was edited with great focus, or most of the young women there are simply beautiful.

It's all those dairy products and beer. And maybe cycling.
Old 05-04-08, 02:43 PM
Chuckie J.

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I got the tingles watching this. Its very hard for me to imagine living in such places yet-- there they are.

Did anyone notice that the people in Bogota seem to bike faster than the other places mentioned or is it just me?
Old 05-04-08, 02:44 PM
donnamb 
tired

Bikes: Breezer Uptown 8, U frame

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by BarracksSi

They are able to incorporate moderate yet consistent exercise into their everyday lives - of course they are beautiful. Unless you are using lots of cosmetics and/or plastic surgery, good health = beauty most of the time.

Originally Posted by Nycycle
How we gonna get that on every TV in the US?
A really wealthy yet eccentric bikey person?

Originally Posted by Chuckie J.
Did anyone notice that the people in Bogota seem to bike faster than the other places mentioned or is it just me?
I noticed it, too. I think if more North American cities begin the shift to this way of life, we'll be more like Bogota than Copenhagen in that respect.
"Real wars of words are harder to win. They require thought, insight, precision, articulation, knowledge, and experience. They require the humility to admit when you are wrong. They recognize that the dialectic is not about making us look at you, but about us all looking together for the truth."
Old 05-04-08, 06:40 PM
travelmama

Bikes: Kona Ute, Nishiki 4130, Trek 7000, K2 Mach 1.0, Novara Randonee, Schwinn Loop, K2 Zed 1.0, Schwinn Cream, Torker Boardwalk

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Great video. It brings back memories of living in Japan, Switzerland and Germany. I biked everyday and never wore a helmet as I didn't have to. The roads were biker friendly. I wonder what the theft is like in Colombia being that commuting is relatively new to the people.
Old 05-04-08, 11:20 PM
Snails
tarck bike dot com

Bikes: mountain, cruiser, road, fixie, bmx

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by stevo9er
glad i watched it then, planning on majoring on CRP at cal poly slo next year
no pun intended
Old 05-05-08, 04:36 AM
mike

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by bragi
I just watched this film, and, despite its Pollyanna-like tone, sorta liked it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5rwwxrWHBB8&NR=1
Wow, the Netherlands looks so peaceful with everybody walking and riding bicycles. The street scenes look like something from a fairytale. I wonder if life really is like that in the Netherlands.

One thing they mention in the film is that the average rider travels 7 kilometers in 30 minutes. That is 14 kilometers per hour = less than 9 miles per hour! WOW, that really is a slow pace. I don't think people in the USA can even think that slow much less bicycle that slow. No wonder they are riding around in wool instead of Spandex.

Now, I understand why they ride those big gas-pipe frame bicycles with bathtub sized baskets on their bicycles. At 9 miles per hour, you can just about pedal a mobile home around town.

So, we can understand that it is peaceful in bicycle paradise, but you still better leave for work early because the slow traffic is going to be a problem.

Still, it is encouraging to see a country where automobiles do not rule supreme. The place sure does seem to be comfortable without automobiles zooming around and making noise.
Old 05-05-08, 05:41 AM
Sianelle 
Sister Annie

Bikes: Retro Hercules adult tricycle, 1953 Hercules ladies roadster, 1950s Wearwell fixed gear 'Club' pathracer, 1980s Malvern Star 'Super Star', 1980s Healing GTX-105 Arabesque, 1980's Morrison Concorde & etc & etc.......

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
It's about shifting mental gears Mike so you're not in a hurry. I regularly ride heavyweight roadster bicycles over rural roads and the simple joy of taking your time on a solidly made low geared bicycle that rolls on 28inch wheels is something I never get tired of.
OMNIPOTENS aeterne Deus, qui nos secundum imaginem Tuam plasmasti, et omnia bona, vera, pulchra, praesertim in divina persona Unigeniti Filii Tui Domini nostri Iesu Christi, quaerere iussisti, praesta quaesumus ut, per intercessionem Sancti Isidori, Episcopi et Doctoris, in peregrinationibus per interrete factis et manus oculosque ad quae Tibi sunt placita intendamus et omnes quos convenimus cum caritate ac patientia accipiamus. Per Christum Dominum nostrum. Amen.
Old 05-05-08, 07:27 AM
wahoonc
Membership Not Required

Bikes: Giant Excursion, Raleigh Sports, Raleigh R.S.W. Compact, Motobecane? and about 20 more! OMG

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Sianelle
It's about shifting mental gears Mike so you're not in a hurry. I regularly ride heavyweight roadster bicycles over rural roads and the simple joy of taking your time on a solidly made low geared bicycle that rolls on 28inch wheels is something I never get tired of.
Most Americans are so busy "doing things" that they can't seem to grasp the concept of slowing down and taking life a slower pace. That one thing that cracks me up in the commuter forum on here, the constant quest for a faster commute, should I use straight bars or drop bars, which tires are the fastest...

I went for a ramble Saturday on my grocery getter (got lost on the way to the grocery store) went past a couple of the farms I buy my veggies from just to see what was available this early in the season (mostly strawberries) I stopped off and watched a couple brim (fish) in the creek making their nesting beds and one had just laid some eggs. Stopped and talked to a couple of people that I hadn't seen in a while. Rode a grand total of maybe 12 miles...and was gone for 5 hours (nice average mph there!) Yes a couple of chores didn't get done, but they weren't critical to my or anyone else's survival for the day. I have enough deadlines during the week, so I don't plan any on weekends.

Also FWIW the Danes and I believe the Dutch have a shorter mandated work week than we do, flex scheduling of that work and longer/more vacation time. So they aren't in as much of a hurry as Americans.

Aaron

ISO: A late 1980's Giant Iguana MTB frameset (or complete bike) 23" Red with yellow graphics.

"Cycling should be a way of life, not a hobby.
RIDE, YOU FOOL, RIDE!"
_Nicodemus

"Steel: nearly a thousand years of metallurgical development
Aluminum: barely a hundred
Which one would you rather have under your butt at 30mph?"
_krazygluon
Old 05-05-08, 07:49 AM
Juha
Formerly Known as Newbie

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by wahoonc
That one thing that cracks me up in the commuter forum on here, the constant quest for a faster commute, should I use straight bars or drop bars, which tires are the fastest...
+1.

I'm first to admit I like to sleep late and so have absolutely no extra time in the mornings. It would be rational for me to look into ways of shaving my commute time. Then there was this recent thread in Touring about wattage and cadence on tours, with a post stating that with better average speed one would finish a day's ride earlier or could do longer legs per day.

All this is true, and there's nothing wrong with it. But for me, smelling the roses is an essential part of both bike touring and commuting.

--J

Who is this General Failure anyway, and why is he reading my drive?

Become a Registered Member in Bike Forums
Community guidelines
Old 05-05-08, 11:54 AM
mike

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Sianelle
I thought I WAS shifting mental gears by bicycling at 16 mph instead of driving at 70 miles per hour (slower in school zones, of course )
Old 05-05-08, 12:08 PM
gwd
Biker

Bikes: one Recumbent and one Utility Bike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mike
Wow, the Netherlands looks so peaceful with everybody walking and riding bicycles. The street scenes look like something from a fairytale. I wonder if life really is like that in the Netherlands.
Every few months I seem to post this web cam link in response to a question like that.
https://www.eyelogue.com/donniecam.html
Old 05-07-08, 01:01 AM
expat
car-light

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The extent of biking in the Netherlands is phenomenal, both in the countryside and in the cities. I have visited in the Hague a few times and the vast majority of car drivers simply adapt their driving to all of the bicyclists - at some point they bike, too, so the awareness is astounding. You will see lots of granny-bikes, parents hauling 1, 2 or even three kids (two child seats behind on the back rack and one small toddler seat on the handlebars). Besides driver awareness, however, part of the safety of biking in the Netherlands is that the cyclists are also responsible. Peddling along at a comfortable, non-sweating pace to work also means that the cyclist doesn't make rash manoeuvers in traffic - with only 1 meter between the park cars on the side of the road and cars and streetcars, it requires that cyclists stay with the flow of bike traffic.

In the countryside it is fascinating to watch all of the kids biking into the villages for school - not on the roads, but on an extensive network of bike paths. On the weekends and in the evenings then the cycle clubs head out en masse. Pretty cool to see a bunch of old boys in club colors zipping along.
Old 05-07-08, 11:43 AM
swwhite

Bikes: Trek 4300

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by stevo9er
The video is/was available on the web site of the outfit that made it. I did not observe any copyright restrictions, so I downloaded it and have it on my computer with a few other bike-related videos.

I actually have mailed it on a CD to the planning departments of a few cities in my area. Not that it will do any good.
Old 05-07-08, 05:40 PM
BarracksSi
Bike ≠ Car ≠ Ped.

Bikes: Some bikes. Hell, they're all the same, ain't they?

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by swwhite
The video is/was available on the web site of the outfit that made it. I did not observe any copyright restrictions, so I downloaded it and have it on my computer with a few other bike-related videos.

I actually have mailed it on a CD to the planning departments of a few cities in my area. Not that it will do any good.
It's also available as a free video podcast on iTunes. It's the episode titled, "Cycling Cities Show The Way", posted by Quickrelease.tv.

https://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/M...5&id=252244643
Old 05-07-08, 07:19 PM
Dahon.Steve

Quoted: 261 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by mike
Now, I understand why they ride those big gas-pipe frame bicycles with bathtub sized baskets on their bicycles. At 9 miles per hour, you can just about pedal a mobile home around town.
If you rode 15 mph on those paths with all that traffic, you would probably end up in the hospital. Everyone rides at beach cruiser speed because anything faster would lead to accidents.