Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Ribble Audax Build

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Ribble Audax Build

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-17, 09:24 AM
slimyfrog

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ribble Audax Build

Justifications and notes:
- Gain experience by building a bike
- Something more 'disposable' than my carbon bike to ride with my 9 years old son [ he's collided into me once already ], something that I can throw on a crowded bike rack
- A different geometry and material from my endurance carbon bike [and the +1 effect]
- "Wow... that's a lot of spacers!" Since I am new to this type of geometry, I wanted to err on the side of caution when cutting the steering tube. They'll go away once I feel like getting back into build mode.
- SPD pedals. I have SPD SL on my other bike, but when you go on a ride with a young kid you are rolling dice. You might have to walk for a while, or your planned 30 mile ride turns into a 5 minute venture. In this case, wearing shoes with recessed cleats is a plus for me. And I had pedals and shoes sitting unused.
- Yellow handlebars are my son's pick. They'll be dirty and gross soon, but I kind of love it with the blue...
- Shimano 105 groupset except for the brakes. Frame requires long reach so I went with Shimano BR-R451
- Wheels stolen from my other bike. The other bike will get better wheels soon.
- Didn't care about weight, but for curiousity's sake it turned out to be 21lbs despite the 25mm gatorskin hardshell tires and 1980g wheels.
- A few small parts were sitting in the shed unused (pedals, stem, saddle, chain). Total cost not counting wheels 631.72
- Cinelli logo on $12 seatpost adds at least 2 mph.

Last edited by slimyfrog; 01-05-17 at 09:28 AM.
Old 01-05-17, 09:43 AM
rjones28 
Mostly Harmless

Bikes: Have two wheels

Mentioned: 169 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13711 Post(s)
Liked 4,525 Times in 2,504 Posts
Nice
Old 01-05-17, 01:28 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7652 Post(s)
Liked 3,473 Times in 1,834 Posts
What makes it an "Audax" build. I thought Audax was almost sort of like randoneurring---I would have expected rack mounts and multiple bottle cages---and lights.

Pretty bike as it sits, though.
Old 01-05-17, 01:49 PM
slimyfrog

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Maelochs
What makes it an "Audax" build. I thought Audax was almost sort of like randoneurring---I would have expected rack mounts and multiple bottle cages---and lights.

Pretty bike as it sits, though.
The frame has rear pannier and fender mounts (fork has fender mounts as well). I was surprised by the single bottle as well. Incidentaly, pic on site shows one on the seat tube as well, but I know this frame have been around several years in various flavors and incarnations.
Ribble Winter Audax 7005 Frame - Frames - Ribble Cycles
Old 01-05-17, 01:54 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7652 Post(s)
Liked 3,473 Times in 1,834 Posts
Dual bottlers isn't that big a deal---on a long ride you will go through more than two, so they will be packed away elsewhere anyway.

I like the general style of bike---a lot like my Dawes, set up to not be slow but to be practical---good for everything from quick rides to light touring (prettier than my Dawes, which I resent very much.)

Is it 11-speed 105?

I need to buy a couple Cinelli stickers.
Old 01-05-17, 03:14 PM
slimyfrog

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hehe yeah, generally I need two bottles. But I have one of the SKS adapters for seat post that fits where the second cage would be on the frame as well.
Aye, it's the 11 speed 105, 5800. Ordered in bits and pieces as things appeared on sale. Honestly, it took much more patience and time than I cared to have.

No stickers! Get the real deal for $10.
Cinelli Pillar Nero Seatpillar - Seat Posts - Ribble Cycles
or extra fancy for $15.
Cinelli Vai Seatpillar - Seat Posts - Ribble Cycles
Old 03-02-17, 08:01 AM
jlax2485

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
How well do the R451 brakes work with the 5800 levers? I had to go with a longer-reach brake on my own build, and I bought the R451 brakes to pair with my 5800 groupset, so I was wondering how you liked them. Thanks!
Old 03-02-17, 11:47 AM
superdex
staring at the mountains

Bikes: Obed GVR, Fairdale Goodship, Salsa Timberjack 29

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 394 Post(s)
Liked 197 Times in 112 Posts
great winter/light-tourer/kidparty ride. Well done.
Old 03-02-17, 07:58 PM
Succhia Ruota
in bagnomaria

Bikes: N+3 dependents

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 10 Posts
Yes, very nice!
Old 03-05-17, 01:00 PM
HazeT

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Did you have to pay any importing fee? I've been waiting for their sportive racing disc, but of course I don't want to do with duty fees + california sales tax.

Originally Posted by slimyfrog

Justifications and notes:
- Gain experience by building a bike
- Something more 'disposable' than my carbon bike to ride with my 9 years old son [ he's collided into me once already ], something that I can throw on a crowded bike rack
- A different geometry and material from my endurance carbon bike [and the +1 effect]
- "Wow... that's a lot of spacers!" Since I am new to this type of geometry, I wanted to err on the side of caution when cutting the steering tube. They'll go away once I feel like getting back into build mode.
- SPD pedals. I have SPD SL on my other bike, but when you go on a ride with a young kid you are rolling dice. You might have to walk for a while, or your planned 30 mile ride turns into a 5 minute venture. In this case, wearing shoes with recessed cleats is a plus for me. And I had pedals and shoes sitting unused.
- Yellow handlebars are my son's pick. They'll be dirty and gross soon, but I kind of love it with the blue...
- Shimano 105 groupset except for the brakes. Frame requires long reach so I went with Shimano BR-R451
- Wheels stolen from my other bike. The other bike will get better wheels soon.
- Didn't care about weight, but for curiousity's sake it turned out to be 21lbs despite the 25mm gatorskin hardshell tires and 1980g wheels.
- A few small parts were sitting in the shed unused (pedals, stem, saddle, chain). Total cost not counting wheels 631.72
- Cinelli logo on $12 seatpost adds at least 2 mph.
Old 03-05-17, 01:06 PM
slimyfrog

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by HazeT
Did you have to pay any importing fee? I've been waiting for their sportive racing disc, but of course I don't want to do with duty fees + california sales tax.
No. Out of the 4 or 5 orders I placed I didn't have to pay any extra fees.