Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Upgrading a 1996 Koga-Miyata GentsTour

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-19, 06:46 AM
JaccoW
Overdoing projects

Bikes: Batavus Randonneur GL, Gazelle Orange Excellent, Gazelle Super Licht, Gazelle Grand Tourist, Gazelle Lausanne, Gazelle Tandem, Koga-Miyata SilverAce, Koga-Miyata WorldTraveller

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 784 Post(s)
Liked 1,238 Times in 686 Posts

I'd like to have some feedback on a planned 1x11 build for a friend of mine.

Story:
Last summer I sold a friend a Koga-Miyata GentsTour bike that I build up from a bare frame with some parts I had lying around for cheap. It's the 1996 model and originally came with 3x7-speed Shimano STX, cantilever brakes and Hardtlite cr-mo triple-butted spiral splined tubing (comparable to Columbus SLX).
Now, a few months later he is using it for longer-distance (20km/13miles one way) commuting and says he loves it and wants to upgrade it to newer parts.

Plans are to turn it into a 1x11 dropbar bike with dynohub front wheel and fenders. He's willing to spend quite a bit on it to make it last a long time.
He wants to keep using it for commuting and perhaps some lightly loaded touring next summer.

I can build my own wheels but since there don't seem to be any affordable pre-built wheels that both support 11-speed and rim brakes in Europe I was planning to build my own for him.
Only downside I can see right now is that he'd have a 36H front and a 32H rear. There is also this 32H front wheel option with Shutter Precision dynamo and the more durable Mavic A719 rim.
That would be a fairly easy change to build the rear around

Current setup:
  • Shimano STX 3x7-speed drivetrain
  • Lepper Weltmeister sprung saddle
  • Derusted and clear coated.

Upgrade parts:Question:
Did I miss anything? Any suggestions, comments or questions?

I'd love to have a final sanity check before we get started.

Last edited by JaccoW; 12-11-19 at 06:50 AM.
Likes For JaccoW:
Old 12-11-19, 07:16 AM
JaccoW
Overdoing projects

Bikes: Batavus Randonneur GL, Gazelle Orange Excellent, Gazelle Super Licht, Gazelle Grand Tourist, Gazelle Lausanne, Gazelle Tandem, Koga-Miyata SilverAce, Koga-Miyata WorldTraveller

Welp, seems like I may have found a good solution to the wheel problem:
Wheelset: bc basic Mavic A 319 + Shutter Precision PL-8/Shimano XT M8000 28" Wheelset
Or just a rear wheel: bc basic Mavic A 319 + Shimano XT M8000 29" Wheel

Add two SON centerlock covers and you wouldn't even see these were centerlock hubs.
Old 12-11-19, 10:56 AM
AeroGut

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 254 Post(s)
Liked 182 Times in 141 Posts
The current set up with a relatively short stem and swept back bars on a small frame suggests that your friend likes a short reach. Are you sure that switching to drop bars will be comfortable?
Old 12-11-19, 11:35 AM
JaccoW
Overdoing projects

Originally Posted by AeroGut
The current set up with a relatively short stem and swept back bars on a small frame suggests that your friend likes a short reach. Are you sure that switching to drop bars will be comfortable?
Sorry, I should have mentioned we swapped this around for the Nitto stem with bullhorns where he rides mostly in the "hoods". Don't have a good picture but I could ask if he can make one to see how he rides it now.
Old 12-11-19, 11:47 AM
GamblerGORD53

Bikes: 2013 Custom SA5w / Rohloff Tourster

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1237 Post(s)
Liked 321 Times in 248 Posts
First get a 25" bike at least. Pffft
Old 12-12-19, 12:41 PM
lubloi

Bikes: Koga Miyata GranTourer 1985, Koga Miyata Adventure 1992, Cinelli Sentiero, Giant Terrago 1993, Presto Amsterdam 1975(?), Dahon Classic III Stainless

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 21 Posts
I would keep the 3x7 setup. I doubt that 1x11 is useful for commuting. With the 20KM commute your friend is going to do 800 km a month. That means 2-4 chains and probably 2 cassettes per year. There is a significant price difference between 7 speed and 11 speed parts. Of course this is subjective, but on the bikes I commute with, I only use 7 or 8 speed drivetrains.
Likes For lubloi:
Old 12-12-19, 12:50 PM
lubloi

Bikes: Koga Miyata GranTourer 1985, Koga Miyata Adventure 1992, Cinelli Sentiero, Giant Terrago 1993, Presto Amsterdam 1975(?), Dahon Classic III Stainless

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 21 Posts
Wonderful bike by the way. I love Koga Miyatas. There are three Koga's in my family's fleet. This may have something to do with the fact that even though I don't live there anymore, I grew up in the Netherlands in the 70s and 80s...
I'm always on the lookout for an old Valley Runner or Ridge Runner in a large frame size.
Likes For lubloi:
Old 12-12-19, 03:11 PM
jimc101

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 453 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 87 Posts
Originally Posted by GamblerGORD53
First get a 25" bike at least. Pffft
The bike does look to be way too small for the rider as currently pictured, also, would really do the math, and work out how much all this is going to cost vs just buying a new on off the shelf, much as it may be appealing to upgrade an old bike, that bike has a short headtube which was common back then and has now thankfully fallen out of favor, as it results in the rider being bent over the bike if a riser or severely extended stem are not used (like the one fitted)

Would wonder how much your total build is vs just what say Rose, Spa, SJS or another euro bike supplier would charge for a similar spec new bike?

Would also be asking why the upgrade of gearing, NL is not exactly known for it's elevation, but from what appears to be currently fitted (looks like a touring triple 46/36/26) going to a 1x11 will lose a lot of top-end speed with a 42-11) this would seem to be a loss rather than a gain.
Old 12-12-19, 05:13 PM
zacster

Bikes: Kuota Kredo/Chorus, Trek 7000 commuter, Trek 8000 MTB and a few others

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 464 Times in 365 Posts

This is what I spent to upgrade a 3x7 Trek 7000 to 3x10 about 5 years ago. Add $17 for shipping where I had to pay for that. I scoured the 'net for bargains on all of these items. You can decide if that's worth it.

In my case, riding this bike as my commuter for 5 years before I retired, it was worth it. I have a very similar Trek 8000 that is still all original and I find the DX 7speed shifting to basically suck compared to the 10sp. The light touch, the sure shift, the smaller jumps all make a difference. The dynamo wheels are great, also built myself. After putting it all together I decided to replace the rear hub too, since I was running 9 of 10 cogs on the 7sp hub. I didn't need cables, both sets of levers came new with cables. They didn't have housing, so my all Shimano bike has Campy housing, you gotta put a little class on every bike. Oh, ditch the cantis , go with v-brakes. Much better stopping. I noticed that too between my two Treks. Note that the single most expensive item was the B&M light. The bike cost me about $100 on ebay, so $600 to upgrade a $100 bike!

My first attempt at posting from Excel looked good until I posted it. I replaced the spreadsheet with a snapshot of it.

Last edited by zacster; 12-12-19 at 05:21 PM.
Likes For zacster:
Old 12-14-19, 09:57 AM
JaccoW
Overdoing projects

Thanks everyone for all the input.

Spoke to my friend again today and we'll most likely sit down to plan some maintenance of his current bike using 7-speed parts and converting it to a drop bar design with bar-ends.
Should be a lot cheaper than what he was planning with the above 11-speed version.
He was already on the fence of looking for a new bike. Told him we could always convert this to a simpler singlespeed or something as a city bike.

Oh and he'll be sending me a picture that shows what it looks like right now.

Updates to follow.
Old 12-14-19, 10:12 AM
JaccoW
Overdoing projects

Originally Posted by zacster
In my case, riding this bike as my commuter for 5 years before I retired, it was worth it. I have a very similar Trek 8000 that is still all original and I find the DX 7speed shifting to basically suck compared to the 10sp. The light touch, the sure shift, the smaller jumps all make a difference. The dynamo wheels are great, also built myself. After putting it all together I decided to replace the rear hub too, since I was running 9 of 10 cogs on the 7sp hub. I didn't need cables, both sets of levers came new with cables. They didn't have housing, so my all Shimano bike has Campy housing, you gotta put a little class on every bike. Oh, ditch the cantis , go with v-brakes. Much better stopping. I noticed that too between my two Treks. Note that the single most expensive item was the B&M light. The bike cost me about $100 on ebay, so $600 to upgrade a $100 bike!

My first attempt at posting from Excel looked good until I posted it. I replaced the spreadsheet with a snapshot of it.
Good feedback. He'll probably do something like this.

Luckily those B+M lights are a lot cheaper over here (and could be for Americans too if you order from German webshops like Bike24.com, Bike-components.de or Bike-discount.de).
V-brakes might be a worthwile change, though well-adjusted cantis with Koolstop pads can work just as well IMHO. I'll talk to him to see what he wants. At the very least I still have a pair of V-brake compatible drop-bar levers laying around that I'm not using. He can have them if he wants.
Old 12-14-19, 10:03 PM
zacster

Bikes: Kuota Kredo/Chorus, Trek 7000 commuter, Trek 8000 MTB and a few others

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 464 Times in 365 Posts
When I looked at Bike24 at the time, the light was cheaper, but the shipping more than made up for it. I decided that buying in the states was a better option, plus warranty would be easier. As it turns out though I've never had a single issue with it and people still ask me about it.