Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

DIY armrest design for bike trainer?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-19, 08:23 AM
DArthurBrown
Chasing the horizon.

Bikes: 2016 Felt F75, 2008 Mercier Corvus Steel, 2006 Trek 4300, 1985 Trek 620 (modernized)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Not sure if this is the best thread for posting this, but...

I'm wondering if anyone has designs or experience buillding a weight-bearing armrest/small table that fits over the handlebars of a bike on a trainer. I spend a lot of time riding indoors during the winter months. It's tough on the bum sitting in one position like that even if I try to stand up once in a while. I'd also like to be able to work, browse the web, or play video games while riding to pass the hours, hence the need for an armrest that gets me hands free. (I've already burned through every streaming show I'm interested in.)

My current model is to basically wrap a 2x4 in an old blanket and strap that to the handlebars across the hoods. It sort of works, but having the weight-bearing position centered over the steerer tube top would be more comfortable.

Any ideas?
Old 12-10-19, 08:40 AM
AeroGut

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 254 Post(s)
Liked 182 Times in 141 Posts
Not really DIY, but you might try clamp on aero bars that have the cup shaped elbow/forearm rests. Those are often available used for not much money. If there’s a co-op near you, they probably have some.
if you need a table surface, that could be laid across the forward extending bar part of the aero bars.
Old 12-10-19, 08:50 AM
jadocs

Bikes: Ti, Mn Cr Ni Mo Nb, Al, C

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 942 Post(s)
Liked 526 Times in 349 Posts
I don't know how you browse the web and play video games when riding indoors. Having said that I've seen tables that are designed to sit out front for a computer. I have never seen a weight bearing one that goes over the handlebars. I suppose it would be you could make perhaps?
Old 12-10-19, 11:16 AM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,096 Times in 742 Posts
How's this? https://www.amazon.com/Travel-Trac-B...16243804&psc=1
Likes For HillRider:
Old 12-10-19, 03:37 PM
trailangel

Bikes: Schwinn Varsity

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1931 Post(s)
Liked 742 Times in 422 Posts
Here:

Old 12-13-19, 02:03 PM
TiHabanero

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1744 Post(s)
Liked 1,370 Times in 719 Posts
Bag the trainer stand and get a set of rollers. Won't have to worry about anything other than staying on to rollers.