Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

We're going to yell at you.

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

We're going to yell at you.

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-09, 01:17 PM
botto 

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by wfrogge
On yesterday's ride there was only two of us due to the weather. We took turns during 20 minute yelling intervals.
gpac ftw.
Old 03-25-09, 01:36 PM
dmb2786

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
first group ride of the year for me tonight. i'm gonna yell at someone.
Old 03-25-09, 01:59 PM
mollusk
Elite Fred

Bikes: 2009 Spooky (cracked frame), 2006 Curtlo, 2002 Lemond (current race bike) Zurich, 1987 Serotta Colorado, 1986 Cannondale for commuting, a 1984 Cannondale on loan to my son

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked 42 Times in 19 Posts
I yelled on 3/17/09.

It was a HUGE group assembled for the Tuesday night sufferfest and we had a couple of UI boys down here on their Spring break getting some miles in training for the Little 500. On the rollout out of town some folks were not communicating road hazards. I yelled - literally.

I yelled at myself on 3/24/09.

Tonight it was a much smaller group (maybe about 25 riders or so) and I was planning on sitting in for the first 16 miles or so and then taking the shortcut home. The shortcut home would give me a good 20 minute "interval" and I had visitors coming into town to go to the Penn State/Florida NIT basketball game. I really needed to get home early.

Early on I got behind a couple of riders that were getting gapped and I watched for a while while the gap grew. It got to the point where I was pretty sure they wouldn't close it without some help. I then went around and pulled them up, or so I thought. Only one of them latched on. It was so much "fun" that I went out the back again looking for the other guy to do it again. When I finally saw him he was WAY behind and there was no way that I could pull him back. Since I was cutting it short I thought "Why not be the nice guy", let him catch up, and give him a wheel to follow home instead of bridging back up. The next time I looked back I saw that he turned around! Now the pack is way up the road and I'm by myself. Much self-inflicted yelled ensued. I suitably punished myself riding back home.
Old 03-25-09, 05:50 PM
Bob Dopolina 
Mr. Dopolina

Bikes: KUUPAS, Simpson VR

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Liked 117 Times in 41 Posts
Originally Posted by Tariq08
LOL @ bullies on bikes, all I'm going to say is I hope you guys don't try this crap with the wrong guy
Sometimes you need to move dangerous or overly aggressive riders out of the way.

Sometimes you get boxed in and want to work and a rider won't let you out.

Sometimes a rider will drift into you and almost push you off the road. It may be intentional.

Sometimes you are being hooked before a sprint, climb or attack.

Sometimes you are being bullied and need to push back.

It's not a bully thing. It is a racing thing.

Old 03-26-09, 09:40 PM
Tariq08

Bikes: Felt F4

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Bob Dopolina
Sometimes you need to move dangerous or overly aggressive riders out of the way.

Sometimes a rider will drift into you and almost push you off the road. It may be intentional.

It's not a bully thing. It is a racing thing.

And sometimes people just need some coaching

Look, I just think it's funny that you guys think you can put your hands on anyone you want to just because you ride a bicycle well, it's ridiculous, I just don't know who you guys think you are lol. I mean I see wayyy more patience and understanding at my Thai Boxing gym and those are guys that can actually give you the biz. But ok, keep bullying n00bs because they don't ride as well as you, like I said I just hope you don't do it to the wrong guy. On second thought..maybe I do hope you do it to the wrong guy..sometimes that's the only way a bully learns.
Old 03-26-09, 09:43 PM
Flatballer
No matches

Bikes: two wheeled ones

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1398 Post(s)
Liked 444 Times in 250 Posts

Look, I just think it's funny that you guys think you can put your hands on anyone you want to just because you ride a bicycle well, it's ridiculous, I just don't know who you guys think you are lol. I mean I see wayyy more patience and understanding at my Thai Boxing gym and those are guys that can actually give you the biz. But ok, keep bullying n00bs because they don't ride as well as you, like I said I just hope you don't do it to the wrong guy. On second thought..maybe I do hope you do it to the wrong guy..sometimes that's the only way a bully learns.
And yet again, you miss the point.

If some newb is in your gym, are they a danger to the experienced guys? By not knowing how to punch, are they gonna randomly hurt someone? I kinda doubt it.

On a group ride, some newb could easily end your season, or worse. Get them out of your way first, explain it to them later. The key is to get yourself and the other riders safe first, if it hurts the guy's feelings, so be it.
Old 03-26-09, 09:58 PM
EventServices
Announcer

Bikes: More than I need, really.

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 13 Posts
Happy to do that..... just not on Tuesdays.
Old 03-26-09, 10:07 PM
halfspeed

Bikes: are better than yours.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Flatballer

If some newb is in your gym, are they a danger to the experienced guys? By not knowing how to punch, are they gonna randomly hurt someone? I kinda doubt it.

On a group ride, some newb could easily end your season, or worse. Get them out of your way first, explain it to them later. The key is to get yourself and the other riders safe first, if it hurts the guy's feelings, so be it.
Originally Posted by EventServices
Forty-six pages and over 1130 posts and this is still completely incomprehensible to Tariq08 and all the rest. Unbelievable.
Old 03-26-09, 11:00 PM
Tariq08

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Flatballer

happens ALL THE TIME, people get kicked in the balls, toes in the eye, elbow to the shin, just the other week a guy got punched in the face with no glove while he was showing a new guy how to uppercut

we don't respond by beating the crap out of people that don't know any better, we respond by letting them know what they are doing wrong and helping them fix it because in the long run it's better for our gym and better for the sport, get over yourselves man..
Old 03-27-09, 12:03 AM
ElJamoquio
Burning Matches.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 4077 Post(s)
Liked 1,002 Times in 676 Posts
happens ALL THE TIME, people get kicked in the balls, toes in the eye, elbow to the shin, just the other week a guy got punched in the face with no glove while he was showing a new guy how to uppercut

we don't respond by beating the crap out of people that don't know any better, we respond by letting them know what they are doing wrong and helping them fix it because in the long run it's better for our gym and better for the sport, get over yourselves man..
You're using a bad analogy. Better one: your two best guys are duking it out. Newbie from off the street wants to show his stuff, walks straight in the door, without acknowledging anyone, and jumps in to knee somebody.

Similar, better, analogy: guy wants to show his stuff. Walks up to Houdini and punches him in the stomach as hard as he can.
Old 03-27-09, 12:07 AM
schnee

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 11 Posts
If a newbie throwing a bad punch could break the necks of ten other people in the gym at the same time, you'd react the same way.

Think with your frontal lobe, not your lizard brain.
Old 03-27-09, 01:37 AM
Tariq08

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Alright..I will go ahead and say that if someone is LEGITIMATELY threatening your well being and there is absolutely no way to communicate with them then you gotta do what you gotta do. Personally I would rather interrupt my training to have a quick chat with the guy than risk hurting him, that should only be a last resort. Really, I can't think of many situations where it would be necessary to hurt someone, especially the ones cited here. But hey I'm not a cat 5 racer what do I know.
Old 03-27-09, 02:01 AM
schnee

Alright..I will go ahead and say that if someone is LEGITIMATELY threatening your well being and there is absolutely no way to communicate with them then you gotta do what you gotta do. Personally I would rather interrupt my training to have a quick chat with the guy than risk hurting him, that should only be a last resort. Really, I can't think of many situations where it would be necessary to hurt someone, especially the ones cited here. But hey I'm not a cat 5 racer what do I know.
I see where you're coming from, but you want to pull someone aside to have a quick chat at 25+mph, six inches from someone's wheel, in the middle of a pack of 10 people? After they just took down four other people and put two of them in the hospital? That's the possible result of a lapse in attention that would just give you a bloody nose in the gym. (I used to spar with some damn good kick-boxers in college, so I can vouch for that part .)

I'm not a cat 5, I'm just a fat-ass that barely hangs with the B's at the local club, but I've been in a bike crash that fractured my skull and spine. When someone is squirrelly it scares the crap out of me. Racers have to ride much closer, faster and further than I probably ever will, so I can empathize with the 'trial by fire' for newbies.
Old 03-27-09, 02:07 AM
Tariq08

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by schnee
I see where you're coming from, but you want to pull someone aside to have a quick chat at 25+mph, six inches from someone's wheel, in the middle of a pack of 10 people? After they just took down four other people and put two of them in the hospital? That's the possible result of a lapse in attention that would just give you a bloody nose in the gym. (I used to spar with some damn good kick-boxers in college, so I can vouch for that part .)

I'm not a cat 5, I'm just a fat-ass that barely hangs with the B's at the local club, but I've been in a bike crash that fractured my skull and spine. When someone is squirrelly it scares the crap out of me. Racers have to ride much closer, faster and further than I probably ever will, so I can empathize with the 'trial by fire' for newbies.
I see where you're coming from too, but it's not impossible to slow down or stop if its necessary, it's not like every time someone gets a flat the whole line goes down and two people go to the hospital. What i'm saying is I'd rather compromise my training and have a word with someone than risk sending them to the hospital. Inflicting harm like that on someone should not be taken lightly, as someone that's been in a crash you probably know that better than me..
Old 03-27-09, 02:19 AM
botto 

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 12 Posts
I see where you're coming from too, but it's not impossible to slow down or stop if its necessary, it's not like every time someone gets a flat the whole line goes down and two people go to the hospital. What i'm saying is I'd rather compromise my training and have a word with someone than risk sending them to the hospital. Inflicting harm like that on someone should not be taken lightly, as someone that's been in a crash you probably know that better than me..
you're missing the point. again, and again, and again.
Old 03-27-09, 03:20 AM
jonathdo
Noj Noslo

Bikes: S1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
zzzzzzzz.
Old 03-27-09, 04:36 AM
schnee

I give up.

Old 03-27-09, 12:36 PM
badfishgood
B(.)(.)BS

Bikes: My bicycles?

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i <3 this thread.
Old 03-27-09, 12:59 PM
<3 2 Ride 
Found my way

Bikes: Salsa Campeon, Specialized Crux, Bottechia Mixte

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by EventServices
I can vouch for that. He's a good coach every other day of the week.

Life is what happens to you while you are busy making other plans. - John Lennon

Old 03-27-09, 01:49 PM
wanders
going roundy round

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
In certain circles, this can be called "yelling".
Old 03-27-09, 02:08 PM
Tariq08

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I don't have a problem with yelling, I was just responding to the posts about getting physical with people, I just can't think of any situation where that would be necessary. ADMITTEDLY I have not read through all 46 pages or anything close do it, I did learn a little about pacelines from the last 5 pages though, maybe the argument to get physical with someone is justified but I really doubt it..
Old 03-27-09, 02:29 PM
substructure
RustyTainte

Bikes: zilch

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Last week. Masters 35+ road race. We have approx. 80 racers on this narrow road. Later in the race he official actually gives up, rolls to the front on his motorbike and protects us from oncoming traffic. There was no way in heck he could hold the centerline rule to anyone.

But here I am tooling around in back on the first part of the race. No where to go. After flying down a nice hill we get to a climb where the field spreads out like warm butter. But this dimwit yells at everyone to quit jamming their brakes.
We're almost dead last with roughly 70 riders ahead of us. I shake my head and laugh. I wish I could have twittered to this thread. "Rider in 75th place yells at the front of the pack."
Old 03-27-09, 02:38 PM
mattm
**** that

Mentioned: 151 Post(s)
Quoted: 1099 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 30 Posts
Originally Posted by Bob Dopolina

It's not a bully thing. It is a racing thing
is that "hooked" as in, right-hooked, or something else?

my race videos
Old 03-27-09, 02:41 PM
substructure
RustyTainte

Bikes: zilch

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mattm
Handlebars.
Old 03-27-09, 02:41 PM
skipmcne
CAT = 5

Bikes: 2001 Caad 5; PF RS2; Ridley Noah; Trek Fuel

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mattm
See: My bars cross your Bars, and we are now inexorably linked and destined for one of two paths.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.