Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Which 700c x 35mm studded tire: the Nokian W106 or the Schwalbe Winter?

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-11, 11:03 AM
Barrettscv 
Have bike, will travel

Bikes: Ridley Helium SLX, Canyon Endurance SL, De Rosa Professional, Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra, Schwinn Paramount (1 painted, 1 chrome), Peugeot PX10, Serotta Nova X, Simoncini Cyclocross Special, Raleigh Roker, Pedal Force CG2 and CX2

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 910 Post(s)
Liked 288 Times in 158 Posts

Hi,

The Nokian W106 and the Schwalbe Winter are being considered for winter use. These tires should fit my Cyclocross bike with fenders. Larger tires won't fit.

I'll have two wheelsets: one with studded tires mounted and another with touring tires. I ride in Chicago which has fast plowing, but ice is an issue most days from New-years to mid-March. Falling and getting injured is not an option. If we get mild weather and the roads are 100% clear shoulder-to-shoulder, I'll use my touring tires.

Which are better performers on ice?
Which roll well on dry pavement?
Which are more durable?
Are either prone to flats?

The pictures on Peter Whites website show that the Nokian W106 are 35mm tall. Does the Schwalbe Winter run smaller than 35mm?
When I ride my bike I feel free and happy and strong. I'm liberated from the usual nonsense of day to day life. Solid, dependable, silent, my bike is my horse, my fighter jet, my island, my friend. Together we will conquer that hill and thereafter the world.

Last edited by Barrettscv; 10-08-11 at 04:47 AM.
Old 10-06-11, 11:38 AM
Leebo

Bikes: Kona Dawg, Surly 1x1, Karate Monkey, Rockhopper, Crosscheck , Burley Runabout,

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 854 Post(s)
Liked 111 Times in 66 Posts
I have used the nokian 106's for 2 years on one of my winter commuters. Works good on ice, no flats. They have very thick rubber tread and casing with deep tread. No noticeble wear on the studs or rubber yet. North of Boston MA encounters a range of conditions. Slush, snow, ice, hardpack gunk, frozen footprints, and such. Compared to 35 mm touring tires, these are like riding in wet tar, they weigh 900gr each. I would not winter commute without them. On dry pavement, it sounds like you're riding on popcorn. They work for me. For tougher conditions, I run the nokian 26x 1.95 mount and grounds on my rockhopper. I find the wider tires do better in deeper snow. The chewed up snow run over by the cars " Car Snot" gives the greatest challenge for pedaling. Mine were about $ 45.00.
Old 10-06-11, 05:04 PM
iforgotmename

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have Marathon Winters in the 26" version, they do well in normal winter conditions...slush, ice, and light snow. They tend to wash out if the snow gets around 1.5 to 2 inches, but it's really no big deal as I ride on mostly plowed roads. They roll very nicely in my opinion.
Old 10-06-11, 05:51 PM
irclean
Born Again Pagan

Bikes: Schwinn hybrid, Raleigh MTB

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
After considering the same two tires I decided on the Schwalbes. Deciding factors included MW's 4 rows of studs vs. 2 for the W106s, the reflective stripe, and the reported lack of rolling resistance. They seem to be ideal in the conditions we see around here; plowed roads and a lot of freeze/thaw cycles that leave icy ruts along the shoulders. There are days that I wish for a 29er with fat, studded tires or a fatbike, but they are few and far between and the Schwalbes can handle the majority of what Mother Nature throws at me.
Old 10-06-11, 06:44 PM
electrik
Single-serving poster

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by irclean
After considering the same two tires I decided on the Schwalbes. Deciding factors included MW's 4 rows of studs vs. 2 for the W106s, the reflective stripe, and the reported lack of rolling resistance. They seem to be ideal in the conditions we see around here; plowed roads and a lot of freeze/thaw cycles that leave icy ruts along the shoulders. There are days that I wish for a 29er with fat, studded tires or a fatbike, but they are few and far between and the Schwalbes can handle the majority of what Mother Nature throws at me.
Careful what you wish for, those large studded tires are a beast to pedal.

I vote for the Marathon Winter... which i think is the one you mean.. schwalbe also sells the snow-stud which is more like the nokian 106.

The schawble's marathon winter have a kevlar weave, probably handle better on ice but worse on snow. The studs are super durable, didn't lose any, my problem is the rubber sidewall split on mine, perhaps glass or somebody trying to slash the tire.

35s are the smallest studded tire i've seen.

Last edited by electrik; 10-06-11 at 06:52 PM.
Old 10-06-11, 07:04 PM
Blues Frog

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I use the 700C Schwalbe Winter on the front and the Nokian 106 700C on the rear on the 520. I ride all winter on these and try to install them at the end of December. I'm near KC Missouri in the USA.
Old 10-06-11, 09:20 PM
alan s 

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1496 Post(s)
Liked 189 Times in 128 Posts
MW 26x1.75s here. Drop the pressure to 35-40 psi, and they work pretty well in light snow. Excellent traction on ice and icy ruts. Beyond 2-3 inches of snow you really need a more aggressive tread.

On dry pavement, they roll surprisingly well. Lose about 2 mph average compared to slicks.

Last edited by alan s; 10-06-11 at 09:23 PM.
Old 10-06-11, 09:55 PM
modernjess
ride for a change

Bikes: Surly Cross-check & Moonlander, Pivot Mach 429, Ted Wojcik Sof-Trac, Ridley Orion. Santa Cruz Stigmata

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Leebo
I have used the nokian 106's for 2 years on one of my winter commuters. Works good on ice, no flats. They have very thick rubber tread and casing with deep tread. No noticeble wear on the studs or rubber yet. North of Boston MA encounters a range of conditions. Slush, snow, ice, hardpack gunk, frozen footprints, and such. Compared to 35 mm touring tires, these are like riding in wet tar, they weigh 900gr each. I would not winter commute without them. On dry pavement, it sounds like you're riding on popcorn. They work for me.
+1 pretty much word for word, only I live in Minneapolis and have had mine through 3 or is it 4 winters ? I run them on my cross check and they are still in great shape.

With that said, If I were to replace them now I'd probably go for the Schwalbe. They weren't available when I bought the Nokian's, They look to have less rolling resistance on the tread which I would appreciate. They also appear to have the outer row of studs nearer the edge which I think is a a good idea in rutted icy conditions. I commute mostly on plowed streets and MUP's which also can have lotsa ice on them but not much deep snow. I think Schwalbe makes a good product overall so I think they'd be my choice. But it will be a while, the Nokian's are tough and proven and have more than a few years left in them.
Old 10-07-11, 09:40 AM
Barrettscv 
Have bike, will travel

Bikes: Ridley Helium SLX, Canyon Endurance SL, De Rosa Professional, Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra, Schwinn Paramount (1 painted, 1 chrome), Peugeot PX10, Serotta Nova X, Simoncini Cyclocross Special, Raleigh Roker, Pedal Force CG2 and CX2

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 910 Post(s)
Liked 288 Times in 158 Posts
Originally Posted by Blues Frog
I use the 700C Schwalbe Winter on the front and the Nokian 106 700C on the rear on the 520. I ride all winter on these and try to install them at the end of December. I'm near KC Missouri in the USA.
Hi B-F,

Installing a 700x35 studded tire with fenders might be a tight fit on my cyclocross bike. I've seen pictures of the Nokian 106 on the Peter White Website: https://www.peterwhitecycles.com/studdedtires.asp (scroll down). This tire would be an easy fit.

How much larger, if at all, is the Schwalbe?
When I ride my bike I feel free and happy and strong. I'm liberated from the usual nonsense of day to day life. Solid, dependable, silent, my bike is my horse, my fighter jet, my island, my friend. Together we will conquer that hill and thereafter the world.
Old 10-07-11, 10:34 AM
No Whey

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Like my Nokians, but because of the swift transition at the edge of the knobs, they handle somewhat poorly on dry pavement.
If you are used to a squarish profile of knobby tires, then you won't have any problem.
They also are squirrely on road paint such as fog lines, I think the studs may dig in TOO much then.

I don't know if the Schwalbe are better/rounder. Still totally worth it during freeze-thaw season here (Leebo Zone).
I'll try a Schwalbe at replacement time, but I've got a few seasons on 'em already, so it may be another year or four.
I've never regretted getting them. And when they come off in the spring, suddenly I'm strong!

Leebo, I think they sound like frying bacon when on dry pavement.

Last edited by No Whey; 10-07-11 at 10:39 AM.
Old 10-07-11, 11:39 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
You can gain mudguard clearance by cutting them, so passing under the fork crown,
and seat stay brace is avoided.. L bracket on each portion can set the mudguard higher then..

106 studs are closer together when the circumference is smaller ie 26/vs700c

only slickness I sensed was walking the bike on a 'linoleum' floor
Old 10-07-11, 12:04 PM
Mr IGH
afraid of whales

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 347 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Another option is the Kenda Klondike 35mm studded tire, mine measure 35mm on a 25mm rim.
Old 10-07-11, 12:52 PM
tjspiel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 13 Posts
One warning about size. I think the Nokians are actually 35/37 or some such thing. Because of the deeper tread, they're taller than the typical 35 mm tire.

I've had both the Schwalbe and Nokian you're considering. The Schwalbe is a really nice tire. Fairly lightweight and low rolling resistance for a studded tire. The reflective stripe is nice too.

However, for the conditions I ride in I prefer the Nokians. The Schwalbe's are (maybe) marginally better on ice but aren't that great in snow deeper than an inch or so. If your primary concern is ice, then the Schwalbes are the better option.