Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Training & Nutrition
Reload this Page >

Training and using hybrid

Search
Notices
Training & Nutrition Learn how to develop a training schedule that's good for you. What should you eat and drink on your ride? Learn everything you need to know about training and nutrition here.

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-13, 08:57 PM
Graupel731

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Starting a program and using this (https://tour.diabetes.org/tdc12/sampl...ingprogram.pdf) "10 weeks to 60 miles" as a guide (I am riding in that event fwiw). Any suggestions? Can already bike 10-15 miles solidly. Other programs available?

Also, for this ride and future rides, I ride a Trek Fx series. Is that frowned upon in rides, etc.
(outside of being at a disadvantage to a road bike)?
Old 04-01-13, 10:19 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3886 Post(s)
Liked 1,938 Times in 1,383 Posts
That looks like a good program. It will more than adequately prepare you. Your bike will be fine. I've seen people on MTBs with knobbies, even unicycles. The instructions for the HARD rides may be difficult to follow. If the event course is nearby, you might want to drive it. Match the terrain on your HARD rides to approximate the event course and just go hard on the hills. If it's flat, then easy to follow the instructions. If your area is hilly, it will take some discipline and low gears to do the easier rides, but do try to do that. Have a fun ride! I'm sure you will.
Old 04-02-13, 07:17 AM
Myosmith
Lover of Old Chrome Moly

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 17 Posts
If you're doing the Tour de Cure, no need to worry about what bike you ride as long as it is comfortable, reliable, and suitable for the terrain. Your FX will be just fine and will fit in with many of the other bikes there. TdC isn't a race and they allow plenty of time and have great support. At the starting line, you will notice that there will be a number of roadies with kit and carbon fiber who take off like a shot and you won't see them until the after party. There will be a much larger pack of recreational cyclists who are there for the fun. In this group you will see a diversity of bikes, including road, touring, fitness, commuter, CX, and slick tired MTBs. I ride an old steel flatbar touring bike for charity centuries and have a great time and don't feel the least bit out of place.

The TdC training information is a good general program that will prepare you well. If you are new to this, remember that your improvement comes not during the riding, but during the rest periods inbetween. If you notice your progress stalling take a day off once in a while and be sure to included some relaxed "recovery" rides.
Old 04-02-13, 10:19 PM
Graupel731

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Carbonfiberboy
That looks like a good program. It will more than adequately prepare you. Your bike will be fine. I've seen people on MTBs with knobbies, even unicycles. The instructions for the HARD rides may be difficult to follow. If the event course is nearby, you might want to drive it. Match the terrain on your HARD rides to approximate the event course and just go hard on the hills. If it's flat, then easy to follow the instructions. If your area is hilly, it will take some discipline and low gears to do the easier rides, but do try to do that. Have a fun ride! I'm sure you will.
Thanks for the advice!

Originally Posted by Myosmith
If you're doing the Tour de Cure, no need to worry about what bike you ride as long as it is comfortable, reliable, and suitable for the terrain. Your FX will be just fine and will fit in with many of the other bikes there. TdC isn't a race and they allow plenty of time and have great support. At the starting line, you will notice that there will be a number of roadies with kit and carbon fiber who take off like a shot and you won't see them until the after party. There will be a much larger pack of recreational cyclists who are there for the fun. In this group you will see a diversity of bikes, including road, touring, fitness, commuter, CX, and slick tired MTBs. I ride an old steel flatbar touring bike for charity centuries and have a great time and don't feel the least bit out of place.

The TdC training information is a good general program that will prepare you well. If you are new to this, remember that your improvement comes not during the riding, but during the rest periods inbetween. If you notice your progress stalling take a day off once in a while and be sure to included some relaxed "recovery" rides.
Good insight - thanks!
Old 04-03-13, 06:41 AM
cplager
The Recumbent Quant

Bikes: 2012 Cruzbike Sofrider, 2013 Cruzigami Mantis, 2016 Folding CruziTandem

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
I was in a similar situation last year when I started training for a metric century (100 km - 62 miles).

Here's what I did:

I modified the program for the NYC century (100 miles) and set goals that way:

I found that this worked well.

What I have is less structured than what you have linked. Either should work well.

The only other piece of advice that I'll add is make sure you train on the same (or harder terrain) than the actual ride. It would be a hard ride if the event is hilly and you trained where it is flat.

Enjoy!
Charles
Attached Images
File Type: png
training.png (10.8 KB, 3 views)