Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

2018 Campagnolo Scirocco wheelset false advertising

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

2018 Campagnolo Scirocco wheelset false advertising

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-17, 06:08 PM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3132 Post(s)
Liked 1,700 Times in 1,027 Posts
Originally Posted by Narhay
I rode them today and I'm happy. No rim tape, no shimano/campagnolo weight penalty, wider, cup and cone bearings, smooth.
I don't understand...Zonda C17 are wider than Scirocco C17? Why is there no shimano/campagnolo weight penalty? Don't both Zonda and Scirocco share cup & cone bearings?
Old 09-27-17, 06:31 PM
bbattle

Bikes: 2014 Trek Domane 5.2, 1985 Pinarello Treviso, 1990 Gardin Shred, 2006 Bianchi San Jose

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 13 Posts
I got the Campagnolo Zonda C17 replacements today.

Chopstick is 5g this time. Rear.

Front

Total minus chopsticks is 1547g. Official specs are 678g and 862g for a total of 1540g, no rim tape. 7g is a reasonable plus minus in my books. I'll see how they ride when I have time to mount them.

I verify my analytical balances at work daily using a very expensive set of calibrated weights. Every 6 months they undergo a more intensive calibration.

When was your balance last calibrated?

What are the specifications for your balance?

As long as everyone's looking for reasons for the weight discrepancy, I thought I might point out the most obvious one.
Old 09-27-17, 07:05 PM
Narhay

Mentioned: 124 Post(s)
Quoted: 956 Post(s)
Liked 568 Times in 314 Posts
Originally Posted by chaadster
I don't understand...Zonda C17 are wider than Scirocco C17? Why is there no shimano/campagnolo weight penalty? Don't both Zonda and Scirocco share cup & cone bearings?
Sorry, wider than what I have now. They should be the same width.

Scirocco appears to be heavier in the shimano version than the campagnolo version and it uses industrial bearings, not cup and cone.
Old 09-27-17, 07:08 PM
Narhay

Originally Posted by bbattle
I verify my analytical balances at work daily using a very expensive set of calibrated weights. Every 6 months they undergo a more intensive calibration.

When was your balance last calibrated?

What are the specifications for your balance?

As long as everyone's looking for reasons for the weight discrepancy, I thought I might point out the most obvious one.
I replied a few posts ago that I had a set of calibrated weights pass by me. I tested and the scale was within a few grams. That these wheels weigh within 7g of spec on this scale vs the 3 figure discrepancy of the sciroccos lends more to a heavier wheel theory than balance error.

I did a few summers of 3 and 4 significant digit total suspended solids and volatile suspended solids weighing on analytical balances. Not that it adds any merit to my kitchen scale but I'm familiar with expensive and sensitive balances.
Old 09-27-17, 08:07 PM
Jiggle

Bikes: BH, Cervelo, Cube, Canyon

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 212 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
In this thread, the TS trusts is wrong first impression and spends the rest of the thread in post fact rationalization. I'm sure a sunk cost fallacy is in there as well.

All this whining over 67g. Go ride your bike, Homer.

A 4% error? there could be a difference in the local value of gravity from where the wheels were weighed when spec'd.
Old 09-28-17, 09:54 AM
Campag4life
Voice of the Industry

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1188 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Jiggle
In this thread, the TS trusts is wrong first impression and spends the rest of the thread in post fact rationalization. I'm sure a sunk cost fallacy is in there as well.

All this whining over 67g. Go ride your bike, Homer.

A 4% error? there could be a difference in the local value of gravity from where the wheels were weighed when spec'd.
The sentiment of many including me. I prefer the Scirroco wheels to the Zondas anyway because of their aero benefit. Also, if the wheels were weighed on the moon, they would be much lighter. But because of lack of atmosphere on the moon, aero benefit will no longer be appreciated.
Old 09-28-17, 04:12 PM
Narhay

Ok. Next time someone sells you A and you get B remember B is really only 4% of the alphabet further down the line than A.
Old 09-29-17, 07:06 PM
Jiggle

Bikes: BH, Cervelo, Cube, Canyon

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 212 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Ok. Next time someone sells you A and you get B remember B is really only 4% of the alphabet further down the line than A.
Ok dude, I'll admit that was pretty good.
Old 09-30-17, 09:16 AM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 3132 Post(s)
Liked 1,700 Times in 1,027 Posts
Sorry, wider than what I have now. They should be the same width.

Scirocco appears to be heavier in the shimano version than the campagnolo version and it uses industrial bearings, not cup and cone.
Ah, I see, and I didn't realize the Scirocco used cartridge bearings (which I prefer, generally). And just to be clear, you're saying there is no weight difference between Zonda w/ Shimano freehub and Zonda w/ Campy freehub?
Old 10-28-17, 10:54 AM
jamesdak 

Bikes: Paletti,Pinarello Monviso,Duell Vienna,Giordana XL Super,Lemond Maillot Juane.& custom,PDG Paramount,Fuji Opus III,Davidson Impulse,Pashley Guv'nor,Evans,Fishlips,Y-Foil,Softride, Tetra Pro, CAAD8 Optimo,

Mentioned: 156 Post(s)
Quoted: 2323 Post(s)
Liked 4,981 Times in 1,775 Posts
Do yours have rim tape?
Ok, just for those that search this later.

I just got in another set of these exactly as the ones pictured in my earlier post. They are the Shimano version.

They do have rim tape.

I weighed them on my digital scale before even taking them into the house. All weights are the bare wheels with rim tape installed, no skewers, and the plastic axle protectors removed.

Front - 1 lb, 11 ozs or around 765 grams - listed at Probikekit as 788 grams
Rear - 2 lbs, 2 ozs or around 964 grams - listed at Probikekit as 937 grams.

So the fronts are over 23 grams lighter and the rears are 27 grams heavier. So for the wheelset they come in 4 grams heavier than advertised. Not even something to worry about.

Of course this means nothing for the 2018 version but just thought I'd share this info since it was asked for earlier.
Old 12-23-17, 12:39 PM
jamesdak 

Bikes: Paletti,Pinarello Monviso,Duell Vienna,Giordana XL Super,Lemond Maillot Juane.& custom,PDG Paramount,Fuji Opus III,Davidson Impulse,Pashley Guv'nor,Evans,Fishlips,Y-Foil,Softride, Tetra Pro, CAAD8 Optimo,

Mentioned: 156 Post(s)
Quoted: 2323 Post(s)
Liked 4,981 Times in 1,775 Posts
Ok, just to add to this for those researching.

I just unboxed a set of the Fulcrum Racing Quattro LG Clincher wheels I got from Probikekit.com. These are not the 2-way version. I weighed them right out of the box, with the plastic hub protectors still on. No skewers but they do have a factory rim tape installed.

I got 935 grams for the Campagnolo compatible rear and 793 grams for the front. That's 1728 grams total with rim tape installed. They were advertised as weighing 1725 grams. That's pretty dang accurate and good to me.
Old 12-23-17, 03:38 PM
raisinberry777

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by jamesdak
Ok, just to add to this for those researching.

I just unboxed a set of the Fulcrum Racing Quattro LG Clincher wheels I got from Probikekit.com. These are not the 2-way version. I weighed them right out of the box, with the plastic hub protectors still on. No skewers but they do have a factory rim tape installed.

I got 935 grams for the Campagnolo compatible rear and 793 grams for the front. That's 1728 grams total with rim tape installed. They were advertised as weighing 1725 grams. That's pretty dang accurate and good to me.
Interesting. Thanks for the update.
Old 12-23-17, 08:48 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3658 Post(s)
Liked 5,404 Times in 2,744 Posts
Good info. Hard to make a case for a widespread conspiracy regarding weights, apparently.