Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Training & Nutrition
Reload this Page >

What free SW do you use for your indoor training? How? Why?

Search
Notices
Training & Nutrition Learn how to develop a training schedule that's good for you. What should you eat and drink on your ride? Learn everything you need to know about training and nutrition here.

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-18, 09:26 AM
fstrnu

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 232 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I use the free SW that came with my trainer to manually control workouts because intervals are easy to control manually and manual control allows you to add/extend/split intervals as needed. For example, if know you have another interval in you, you can add one. Similarly, if you know you won't be able to complete the second interval of a 2x20, you can preserve workout quality by splitting the second interval into a 2x10 and still get 40 minutes at intensity.

Any interval-based training plan is also easy to perform manually and without having to pay for a subscription.

Lastly, a small technology footprint means I don't have to fuss with as many software problems. It's also convenient because I can just jump on the bike, do my thing, and jump off.

What about you?

Edit - I've created the following list of valid responses to help readers navigate around off-topic responses:

Originally Posted by gl98115
I manually control my workouts with my shifters. Bigger gears work great for efforts and smaller gears for recovery. The clock on the wall is great for measuring the duration of the interval and recovery periods.
Originally Posted by canklecat
IpBike app has programmable intervals with audio, voice and vibration prompts. Looks like beta ware but it's functional and free.

Cyclemeter is more sophisticated, has programmable timers for interval training, and the annual subscription is only $10. It uploads to Strava, no problems. But user data is accessible via the Cyclemeter app only as long as the annual subscription is paid. The free trial version is very limited so it's difficult to get a good sense of how much the app can do.

I used Cyclemeter for a couple of years, then let it lapse. I might renew in January just to have access to the programmable timers and other features. I haven't found another app quite like it. IpBike has some similar features and is free, but it looks and feels crude and unfinished. Starting some features in non-intuitive compared with Cyclemeter.
Originally Posted by newduguy
I use Golden Cheetah and Racermate One with my computrainers for all of my workouts. Racermate One for 3d courses and Golden Cheetah for ERG workouts since it handles ERG files better than Racermate One does (Racermate One cannot scale ERG files to FTP). I have my own curated ERG workout database (I use Golden Cheetah's workout builder to create ERG files) that has a couple plans (TR Sweet Spot Base and Sustained Power-similar plans, 4wk FTP Builders, 4wk Climbs, CT 20 week PIG, etc) and misc. workouts (Sufferfest, etc). I particularly like training in Golden Cheetah because once I'm finished with my workout I can instantly look at the post-ride analysis and be done with data-ogling before I even stop sweating.

I do like wireless smart trainers, however, I have space in my garage for a permanent Computrainer space and have room for 3-4 other riders if I wanted to host some groups. If I went with more than 2 people, I'd probably buy PerfPro at that point. $100, computrainer support, multi-rider support, training schedules and calendar. I may upgrade to a more modern smart trainer some day, but I have two like-new CT's that are both super reliable and pretty accurate in terms of power readings.

I've used Zwift and it's fun, but I really detest rent-seeking services. It's why I cancelled Trainerroad after about 4 months. I bought The Time Crunched Cyclist and Base Building for Cyclists and noticed TR plans seem kind of derivative of the concepts in those books.
Originally Posted by monstorr
I just found out about something similar to Zwift but is going to be free to play. Look into CVRcade. According to their website it will be opening in closed beta December 1st.
Originally Posted by fstrnu
Found this Flanagan FTP plan over on Slowtwitch. Can be performed on any trainer without special software.

https://forum.slowtwitch.com/forum/?...32446#p2932446
Originally Posted by srode1
I used external controls with a smart trainer for my intervals and found it to be more of a problem than benefit, but probably depends on what workouts you are doing and why. For me doing lots Steady State 3x20s / 4x15s etc I like to come in from the bottom side of my target power for the first one, and the target is set high enough that I fade near the end and have to drop power to keep going. I also use my breathing along with the bike computer to see how i'm doing staying in the target zone. A smart trainer with external control won't let you do this, it just keep ramping up the power if you back off and eventually grind to a stop. Now I just use the smart trainer to set resistance so I'm in the middle of the cassette near the target power, that way I can shift with small steps in RPMs to manage power output. I can keep my power much more stable and consistently at the target on my own than I can letting the trainer do it's thing to manage power. Using this approach I also have learned much better how to manage my efforts off the trainer through just listening to my body.

Last edited by fstrnu; 12-28-18 at 08:22 AM. Reason: Added to list of valid responses
Old 11-25-18, 12:08 PM
gl98115

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I manually control my workouts with my shifters. Bigger gears work great for efforts and smaller gears for recovery. The clock on the wall is great for measuring the duration of the interval and recovery periods.
Old 11-25-18, 03:08 PM
rubiksoval

Bikes: bikes

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 2622 Post(s)
Liked 1,429 Times in 711 Posts
I use Zwift. Because, you know, fun.
Old 11-25-18, 03:51 PM
zacster

Bikes: Kuota Kredo/Chorus, Trek 7000 commuter, Trek 8000 MTB and a few others

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 460 Times in 362 Posts
Lastly, a small technology footprint means I don't have to fuss with as many software problems. It's also convenient because I can just jump on the bike, do my thing, and jump off.

What about you?
I don't fuss with software problems, it just works. Zwift and The Sufferfest just connect to sensors and work. I just start one up, choose a program, get on the bike and start pedaling.
Old 11-25-18, 06:35 PM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 329 Posts
Originally Posted by rubiksoval
This.

Not free but it has kept me entertained on the bicycle this past winter.

I used to do commercial intervals and still do them to some extent even with Zwift.
Old 11-26-18, 03:38 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
IpBike app has programmable intervals with audio, voice and vibration prompts. Looks like beta ware but it's functional and free.

Cyclemeter is more sophisticated, has programmable timers for interval training, and the annual subscription is only $10. It uploads to Strava, no problems. But user data is accessible via the Cyclemeter app only as long as the annual subscription is paid. The free trial version is very limited so it's difficult to get a good sense of how much the app can do.

I used Cyclemeter for a couple of years, then let it lapse. I might renew in January just to have access to the programmable timers and other features. I haven't found another app quite like it. IpBike has some similar features and is free, but it looks and feels crude and unfinished. Starting some features in non-intuitive compared with Cyclemeter.
Old 11-27-18, 03:06 PM
monstorr

Bikes: Trek Crockett 7 and a bunch of projects =)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
You may be better off getting a subscription for the winter. I use Zwift and its great fun! But if you are determined on not spending a dime on subscriptions I would probably go online and watch some trainings from GCN on Youtube
Old 11-27-18, 06:34 PM
newduguy

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
I use the free SW that came with my trainer to manually control workouts because intervals are easy to control manually and manual control allows you to add/extend/split intervals as needed. For example, if know you have another interval in you, you can add one. Similarly, if you know you won't be able to complete the second interval of a 2x20, you can preserve workout quality by splitting the second interval into a 2x10 and still get 40 minutes at intensity.

Any interval-based training plan is also easy to perform manually and without having to pay for a subscription.

What about you?

I use Golden Cheetah and Racermate One with my computrainers for all of my workouts. Racermate One for 3d courses and Golden Cheetah for ERG workouts since it handles ERG files better than Racermate One does (Racermate One cannot scale ERG files to FTP). I have my own curated ERG workout database (I use Golden Cheetah's workout builder to create ERG files) that has a couple plans (TR Sweet Spot Base and Sustained Power-similar plans, 4wk FTP Builders, 4wk Climbs, CT 20 week PIG, etc) and misc. workouts (Sufferfest, etc). I particularly like training in Golden Cheetah because once I'm finished with my workout I can instantly look at the post-ride analysis and be done with data-ogling before I even stop sweating.

I do like wireless smart trainers, however, I have space in my garage for a permanent Computrainer space and have room for 3-4 other riders if I wanted to host some groups. If I went with more than 2 people, I'd probably buy PerfPro at that point. $100, computrainer support, multi-rider support, training schedules and calendar. I may upgrade to a more modern smart trainer some day, but I have two like-new CT's that are both super reliable and pretty accurate in terms of power readings.

I've used Zwift and it's fun, but I really detest rent-seeking services. It's why I cancelled Trainerroad after about 4 months. I bought The Time Crunched Cyclist and Base Building for Cyclists and noticed TR plans seem kind of derivative of the concepts in those books.

Last edited by newduguy; 11-27-18 at 07:02 PM.
Old 11-28-18, 12:13 PM
fstrnu

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rubiksoval
Awesome. When did they stop charging for it?
Old 11-28-18, 01:08 PM
fstrnu

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by gl98115
Nice!
Old 11-28-18, 01:11 PM
fstrnu

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by newduguy

Great post. Thanks!
Old 11-28-18, 04:05 PM
rubiksoval

Awesome. When did they stop charging for it?
Ha. I know. Fun evades you.

Walls are much better.
Old 11-29-18, 06:45 AM
fstrnu

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This thread is about free SW.
Old 11-29-18, 07:07 AM
monstorr

Bikes: Trek Crockett 7 and a bunch of projects =)

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
I just found out about something similar to Zwift but is going to be free to play. Look into CVRcade. According to their website it will be opening in closed beta December 1st.
Old 11-30-18, 04:17 PM
rubiksoval

This thread is about free SW.
So fixated on single variables. You gotta expand your horizons a bit!

Indoor training has come a long way since your computrainer days.
Old 12-05-18, 12:00 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3885 Post(s)
Liked 1,938 Times in 1,383 Posts
I used a spreadsheet for a couple years, many years ago now. I created a SS with a training plan which I created using Friel. Each week was a line, with calculated totals off the the right. The next line was what I did, with totals. Problem was that the the totals didn't numerically reflect training stress. So that didn't work at all for me. I blew up after only a couple of months. After that, I quit using planning software and only recorded my training. I was using Polar devices and software back then and the recording software was free. I also happened upon an application (one-time purchase) which had an interactive training plan built into it. Unfortunately, their sales volume wasn't enough to keep up with the costs of maintenance as the Windows platform changed and they went out of business. I still use the software, but have to virtualize it on an XP platform. It was called PC Coach. It helps keep me organized to some extent as I periodize my way through the year.

Now I use TrainingPeaks Premium, a pay-for, because it's a lot cheaper than making training errors. A little money in exchange for improved performance over the long haul.

I don't need video or stuff like that to keep me entertained on my resistance rollers. IMO all that stuff is a distraction which prevents me from paying 100% attention to my work on the bike. It's be like being a manager who watched cable news all day. We have a good example of that now. A few weeks ago, a good friend walked in on me during a training session. I said, "Hi" and was on the floor in an instant. Concentration on the job at hand is critical for max improvement for minimum time spent.
Old 12-05-18, 01:43 PM
redlude97

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 1975 Post(s)
Liked 232 Times in 173 Posts
Had a computrainer setup last winter and couldn't get myself to ride it more than a handful of times, performance this year wasn't where I wanted it to be even though I put in lots of time April-Oct. GF got me a 3 month Zwift subscription for the winter and I've already ridden it almost as much as I rode the trainer all last winter. Some people have the mental drive to put in indoor work that's focused based off of strict time in zone intervals while staring at a timer. Others don't. Whether or not zwift workouts and races are perfect training to maximize and asses fitness, if it gets a person to ride when they otherwise wouldn't, its beneficial.
Old 12-07-18, 09:10 AM
fstrnu

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Found this Flanagan FTP plan over on Slowtwitch. Can be performed on any trainer without special software.

Old 12-07-18, 09:21 AM
prj71

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 2975 Post(s)
Liked 1,179 Times in 770 Posts
Why do you want to ride indoors?
Old 12-07-18, 09:30 AM
fstrnu

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
OP updated with a list of on-topic responses.
Old 12-07-18, 04:06 PM
rubiksoval

Originally Posted by prj71
Maybe he's secretly training for an upcoming e-sport championship? Britain just announced a national e-sport championship next year...

Ah, no, nevermind. That'd involve multiple intensities within the same ride. And Zwift.

The horror!
Old 12-07-18, 04:08 PM
rubiksoval

OP updated with a list of on-topic responses.
I'm curious why you need software in the first place.

If you're trying to be as outdated and archaic as possible, surely your pencil and pad of paper is enough to produce any number of results that you can then analyze with some graphing paper.
Old 12-07-18, 10:16 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3885 Post(s)
Liked 1,938 Times in 1,383 Posts
Originally Posted by prj71
Because you can do stuff indoors which you can't do outdoors. Plus it's 40° and raining now and I'm just not feeling it. Plus cleaning the bike after a wet ride takes time I could better use in other ways. The worst is actually immediately after a rain. Real rain rides are like a car wash sans soap. Anyway, you get the idea.
Old 12-08-18, 06:10 AM
rubiksoval

Originally Posted by Carbonfiberboy
Because you can do stuff indoors which you can't do outdoors. Plus it's 40° and raining now and I'm just not feeling it. Plus cleaning the bike after a wet ride takes time I could better use in other ways. The worst is actually immediately after a rain. Real rain rides are like a car wash sans soap. Anyway, you get the idea.
Apparently that's not the OP's reasoning, however. He doesn't seem to ever ride outdoors, seems to vehemently eschew any real-world performance or application, and thinks mixed-intensity training robs one of their ability to see how fixed intensity training works.

So what you say makes sense. Unfortunately, none of that has anything to do with the OP or any of his diatribes.
Old 12-08-18, 09:15 PM
rubiksoval

Originally Posted by Flanagan
Zwift wasn’t around when I originally did this. Would be easier to do indoors nowadays than pre-Zwift.
Can be. But even Flanagan alludes to it being better with Zwift.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.