Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Sitting on front of saddle for more power

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Old 08-20-19, 11:06 AM
Lowerkeys

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

i feel stronger as I slide up forward on saddle nose. Do they make longer nosed seats to get even more forward? Not the position for long rides but rather shorter bursts
Old 08-20-19, 11:13 AM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
It is called "on the rivet."

https://www.velominati.com/nostalgia/on-the-rivet/

As stated in essay, saddle position or length doesn't matter. You will still slide forward onto the rivet when you ride hard.

-Tim-
Likes For TimothyH:
Old 08-20-19, 11:16 AM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3571 Post(s)
Liked 3,367 Times in 1,916 Posts
on the rivet [definition]
Extreme physical exertion to the point of almost giving up. Derived from bike racing in the olden days when bike seats had rivets, and in an effort not to get dropped one would slide forward on the saddle to exert maximum pressure on the pedals so as to hang on the the amphetamine-loaded Belgian in front of you.

https://www.urbandictionary.com/defi...%20the%20rivet
Likes For JohnDThompson:
Old 08-20-19, 11:57 AM
roccobike
Bike Junkie

Location: South of Raleigh, North of New Hill, East of Harris Lake, NC

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Specialized Roubaix, Giant OCR-C, Specialized Stumpjumper FSR, Stumpjumper Comp, 88 & 92Nishiki Ariel, 87 Centurion Ironman, 92 Paramount, 84 Nishiki Medalist

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 27 Posts
That's funny because I get more power by pushing myself back on the saddle!
Old 08-20-19, 12:35 PM
kingston 
Jedi Master

Bikes: https://stinkston.blogspot.com/p/my-bikes.html

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1759 Post(s)
Liked 488 Times in 313 Posts
It's length is one of the main reasons the Fizik Airone is so popular with racers.
Likes For kingston:
Old 08-20-19, 12:39 PM
Phil_gretz
Zip tie Karen

Bikes: '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked 1,542 Times in 806 Posts
Originally Posted by Lowerkeys
i feel stronger as I slide up forward on saddle nose...
Re-assess your saddle positioning relative to the crank spindle? You should be able to use most of the length of the saddle to vary how you apply pressure and which muscle groups get engaged.
Old 08-20-19, 12:52 PM
GlennR
On Your Left

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR, Sram eTap, Zipp 303

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 3004 Post(s)
Liked 2,433 Times in 1,187 Posts
Originally Posted by Phil_gretz
Re-assess your saddle positioning relative to the crank spindle? You should be able to use most of the length of the saddle to vary how you apply pressure and which muscle groups get engaged.
^^^^^^
This

You should alter your fit.
Old 08-20-19, 12:54 PM
Bandera
~>~

Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Quoted: 1112 Post(s)
Liked 180 Times in 119 Posts
Originally Posted by roccobike
That's funny because I get more power by pushing myself back on the saddle!
Try this: Find a relatively flat 1 mile stretch of decent pavement and ride it as hard and fast as you possibly can sprinting all-out for an imaginary finish line at the end.
Were you 1)"on the rivet" or B) "back on the saddle"?
My bet is on 1).

-Bandera

Last edited by Bandera; 08-20-19 at 02:32 PM.
Likes For Bandera:
Old 08-20-19, 02:09 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
Fit doesn't matter. Saddle position doesn't matter. Saddle length doesn't matter.

One could ride a Schwinn banana seat with a six foot sissy bar. It doesn't matter.

Analyze it all you want. Alter your fit all you want.

Go hard enough and you will be on the rivet regardless.

It remains an enigma.

-Tim-
Old 08-21-19, 12:14 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,798 Times in 1,798 Posts
Take off the saddle. Stick a big rivet in the seat post. Problem solved.
Old 08-21-19, 03:19 AM
aclinjury

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 497 Post(s)
Liked 170 Times in 128 Posts
You must enjoy frictional heat on the scrotum sack and numbness in soft tissue.
However, moving forward doesn't allow you to generate more power. For sustained max power, sitting in a normal position on the saddle and hunching down a tad more to engage more gluts muscles
Old 08-21-19, 03:31 AM
Rollfast
What happened?

Bikes: 3 Rollfasts, 3 Schwinns, a Shelby and a Higgins Flightliner in a pear tree!

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1835 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 255 Posts
Please stop playing with the newbie and answer the question.

And it was indeed answered, where you sit on the saddle is not as important as where it is set (height) for best stroke.

Too tall and you have no rebound, stroke is wasted, too low and it becomes a chore.

Last edited by Rollfast; 08-22-19 at 01:00 PM.
Likes For Rollfast:
Old 08-21-19, 04:47 AM
SHBR
C*pt*i* Obvious

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 596 Post(s)
Liked 53 Times in 44 Posts
Its normal for me on short bursts.

Most people crouch a bit when they are pushing hard, its more efficient than standing, and easier to wind up to a high cadence. (120+ RPM)

Riding the rivet is usually combined with "gnawing on the stem", not a pretty sight.
Old 08-21-19, 06:41 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,094 Times in 5,053 Posts
What usually gets lost in these discussions is that riders' bodies are not standard issue. All we can really offer you is "it does/does not work for me". There is no substitute for trying things yourself.
Old 08-21-19, 08:19 AM
weiwentg

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Rollfast
Please stop playing with the newbie and answer the question.

And it was indeed answered, where you sit on the saddle is not as important as whee it is set (height) for best stroke.

Too tall and you have no rebound, stroke is wasted, too low and it becomes a chore.
To some extent, it's not a matter of playing with the newbie. Often, when we're newer to the sport, we don't know what to ask. So, some people try to read between the lines to determine what someone's asking. Or some people go off on tangents.

Summing up, some people do slide forward on their saddles to get more power in shorter efforts, especially in road races. If this is the extent of the question, then yes, road saddles vary in length. As already stated, the Fizik Arione is one potential recommendation for people in aggressive riding positions. I think I've heard this saddle is designed for people who vary their position a lot, e.g. sliding forward, sliding back, etc. I've heard a couple bike store managers say that the Arione is mainly popular among racers, however. My position used to be more aggressive, but since I've moved to a slightly more upright position, I found that the Arione isn't playing well with me. I changed to an Antares.

If you feel you need to frequently slide forward on the saddle, then it's possible your position is too far back. If you're new to riding, you should consider this. When I was new to riding, I found myself doing this a lot, and it turned out that I did need my saddle positioned further forward.
Likes For weiwentg:
Old 08-21-19, 08:45 AM
MAK

Bikes: Yes, I have bikes.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 276 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 65 Posts
I think the real answer is in defining what you're doing regarding where your butt is when you need to feel "stronger". I don't race but...when I'm sprinting, sliding up a bit (on the rivet) becomes a stronger position. When I'm climbing, sliding back a bit becomes a stronger position.

If you're riding flat ground and not sprinting, the need to move up on the saddle may indeed be a fit question or problem.

That said...Your fit may be fine as is. Even the pros, who one would assume would have their optimal fit, slide up and back on their perfectly fitted saddles depending on circumstance.
Old 08-21-19, 08:53 AM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Bikes: Propel, red is faster

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 1575 Post(s)
Liked 1,568 Times in 973 Posts
I define "on the rivet" for myself as going more than 150%. So, it ain't going to be for long. Maybe 2 minutes, then take a dirt nap beside the road. That's pretty much a prolonged sprint. You're recruiting what will make the power for that long, and hopefully staying low.

Watch a crit on youtube, you'll see a good amount of "on the rivet" footage. You know when you see it, and if the person does a nice power overlay.....you'll see the watts they're doing.
Old 08-22-19, 01:10 PM
Rollfast
What happened?

Bikes: 3 Rollfasts, 3 Schwinns, a Shelby and a Higgins Flightliner in a pear tree!

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1835 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 255 Posts
Originally Posted by weiwentg
To some extent, it's not a matter of playing with the newbie. Often, when we're newer to the sport, we don't know what to ask. So, some people try to read between the lines to determine what someone's asking. Or some people go off on tangents.

Summing up, some people do slide forward on their saddles to get more power in shorter efforts, especially in road races. If this is the extent of the question, then yes, road saddles vary in length. As already stated, the Fizik Arione is one potential recommendation for people in aggressive riding positions. I think I've heard this saddle is designed for people who vary their position a lot, e.g. sliding forward, sliding back, etc. I've heard a couple bike store managers say that the Arione is mainly popular among racers, however. My position used to be more aggressive, but since I've moved to a slightly more upright position, I found that the Arione isn't playing well with me. I changed to an Antares.

If you feel you need to frequently slide forward on the saddle, then it's possible your position is too far back. If you're new to riding, you should consider this. When I was new to riding, I found myself doing this a lot, and it turned out that I did need my saddle positioned further forward.
If you are sliding around trying to find your best 'power spot' you are most certainly not able to move the pedals as well as you should. Adjust your height first, and it you have a positioning setting then set that. Where you sit on the saddle is usually in direct relation to where it feels 'right' for you to keep steady action to the pedals, it's a matter of comfort and surety. If you don't feel comfortable in your saddle then adjust it.; Some people like to tilt the front down because they feel it gives then the best leverage against the back and keeps them on the saddle. A lot of new saddles don't even have a front to speak of for some reason (I know, something about less pressure to you know what) but I don't use those, I ride on comfort seats or old 60s/70s Troxels for cruisers, I prefer them.
Old 08-22-19, 03:22 PM
Freddyonabike

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
I feel like when im going really hard, therefore sit on the rivet, I angle myself forwards, so it becomes like a "push away from you" kinda movement. If that makes sense
Like the start of a sprint run.
Old 08-22-19, 03:53 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 128 Post(s)
Quoted: 4745 Post(s)
Liked 3,861 Times in 2,510 Posts
Look also at the rear of the saddle. I use the entire saddle. I push back for power climbing seated in bigger gears. I come far forward as you do going hard, both on the flat and sometimes uphill. For me, the entire saddle matters. I need seats that are not too wide in back so I can sit pushed far back and not cut off circulation in my legs. If I can do that, I still have a lot of nose up forward for riding "on the rivet". (One of the reasons I will probably never own a traditional leather saddle is because literally riding on rivets isn't a whole lotta fun.)

As posters have said above, I ride all wrong. So do most racers. We've been riding wrong all of the past century. Sooner or later the pro peloton will get word that they need to come to Bike Forums and get it right. When that happens we will see the next huge increase in speed.

Ben
Old 08-22-19, 05:53 PM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1722 Post(s)
Liked 1,272 Times in 734 Posts
Originally Posted by TimothyH
It is called "on the rivet."

https://www.velominati.com/nostalgia/on-the-rivet/

As stated in essay, saddle position or length doesn't matter. You will still slide forward onto the rivet when you ride hard.

-Tim-
Yes it is. So glad someone else knows that.