Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Argh- headlight has huge shadow of front wheel

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-20, 11:11 AM
freckles

Bikes: BF NWT, Tern Short Haul

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 10 Posts

I successfully installed a new edelux II headlight on my oma'scenter fork mount. I love the new light but it casts a huge shadow of the front wheel/fender. I've gradually tipped it up to see if it clears but it does not unless I want to light up the sky and blind pedestrians/car drivers.

I tried the standard mount and the XL mount but still has the annoying shadow. light is 32" from the ground.

Original halogen light was mounted on left side of fork- where a rim dynamo would be. I read that would cast a shadow too?

What are my options? I read these lights are supposed to be mounted on the center fork mount for optimal lighting without dazzling pedestrian/car drivers?
Bend the mount to go up higher?
Handlebar mount?
Old 02-06-20, 11:25 AM
jadocs

Bikes: Ti, Mn Cr Ni Mo Nb, Al, C

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 942 Post(s)
Liked 527 Times in 349 Posts
A picture would help.
Old 02-06-20, 11:27 AM
base2 
I am potato.

Bikes: Only precision built, custom high performance elitist machines of the highest caliber. 🍆

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1789 Post(s)
Liked 1,629 Times in 933 Posts
If you use a much, much longer bolt and a bushing/stand-off/stack of 40 washers/etc... you should be able to move the light further forward away from the fork crown.
Old 02-06-20, 11:34 AM
tyrion

Bikes: Velo Orange Piolet

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 2228 Post(s)
Liked 2,011 Times in 972 Posts
If you have a front rack, that's a good place to mount a light.

https://problemsolversbike.com/artic...-see-the-light
Old 02-06-20, 12:43 PM
Wilfred Laurier
Señor Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 649 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 215 Posts
As above, a rack. Or modify or add to the existing bracket to move the light up and/or forward a few cms. Or figure out some way to mount the light on the handlebars or under the stem or something.
Old 02-06-20, 01:00 PM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2604 Post(s)
Liked 1,933 Times in 1,213 Posts
I'd suggest ride with it as is for a week or two. I've got a similar setup. It was a change, coming from a circular beam on mounted on handlebars, and pointed down to minimize lighting up the sky, which gives you a lot of light on the pothole you're about to (thwap!) hit. After a short acclimatization period, though, I've come to appreciate the shadow that's about a yard in front of the wheel. Looking a bit forward of the wheel, I've got a better chance to miss that pothole, stick, or rock, and there's a nice side effect: lifting my eyes and head a bit gives me much better situational awareness at night.
Old 02-06-20, 01:34 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,582 Times in 2,343 Posts
Originally Posted by freckles
Handlebar mount?
yes
Old 02-07-20, 09:49 AM
freeranger

Bikes: 06 Lemond Reno, 98 GT Timberline mtn.bike

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 427 Post(s)
Liked 700 Times in 436 Posts
Maybe put an "extender" on to move it further forward from the handlebar--Amazon has them also, here's on from DX: https://www.dx.com/p/multi-functiona...l#.Xj2Gtm5FyP8
Old 02-07-20, 09:59 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Originally Posted by freeranger
Maybe put an "extender" on to move it further forward from the handlebar--Amazon has them also, here's on from DX: https://www.dx.com/p/multi-functiona...l#.Xj2Gtm5FyP8
I have extenders on 2 of my bikes. it's good for lights & cameras. I probably have better pics of it in use but these were handy. I prefer the camera on my helmet, but it's good on the bars if the road or bike trail is smooth. the light is always great on the extender

also useful for 2 lights, one steady, one flashing

this is the one I have have 2 of. I tried using it sticking out forward but it's more secure & stable standing upright

Vinqliq Bike Cycling Lightweight Carbon Fiber Handlebar Extender Extension Lamp Holder Mount with Aluminum Alloy Bracket for Bike Mounts, GPS Units, Headlights, Cameras

this clip is with a wide angle diffuser on the light & a DIY beam cutoff hood

without the diffuser

Last edited by rumrunn6; 02-07-20 at 10:53 AM.
Old 02-07-20, 10:10 AM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1364 Post(s)
Liked 1,678 Times in 827 Posts
Long ago I had a headlight mounted to my fork crown with a bracket that lifted it high. NOw I use an LED light on the bars, but if it rains I strap it to the left front fork so I can drape my rain cape over the bars. From the fork mount the light casts a bow-shaped shadow to the right, but straight ahead is clear.
Anyway, I found this:

https://www.peterwhitecycles.com/schmidt-headlights.php
Likes For BobbyG:
Old 02-07-20, 05:29 PM
Digger Goreman
Quidam Bike Super Hero

Bikes: 1995 Trek 800 Sport, aka, "CamelTrek"

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 331 Post(s)
Liked 415 Times in 282 Posts
Given the suggestions, I will try my cygolite on my front rack
Old 02-13-20, 12:41 AM
freckles

Bikes: BF NWT, Tern Short Haul

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 10 Posts
moved it up to handlebars

moved it up to the handlebars and it clears the front wheel- no shadow! and i like it!

I had a handlebar mounted "flashlight" kind of headlight set to flash before. always kept it aimed down because it did not have a cutoff beam and the flashing lit up the front wheel too- i hoped it made me more visible without causing anyone seizures from the light!

since the edelux has a cut off, i raised the light a bit. its weird but even though its physically higher (on the handlebar vs center fork) the high beam part of the light is lower than it used to be on the center fork so it lights the path ahead of me really well.

when on the center fork, i kept tilting up the light to try and try and get over the shadow and ended up lighting the sky instead of the road ahead.
Old 02-13-20, 03:14 AM
OldTryGuy

Bikes: Day6 Semi Recumbent "FIREBALL", 1981 Custom Touring Paramount, 1983 Road Paramount, 2013 Giant Propel Advanced SL3, 2018 Specialized Red Roubaix Expert mech., 2002 Magna 7sp hybrid, 1976 Bassett Racing 45sp Cruiser

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1069 Post(s)
Liked 788 Times in 505 Posts
Rarely use my drops so I have a NiteRider mounted on inside of each drop. Solid, no extension, minimize vibration -- just a different approach
Old 02-13-20, 04:30 AM
JaccoW
Overdoing projects

Bikes: Batavus Randonneur GL, Gazelle Orange Excellent, Gazelle Super Licht, Gazelle Grand Tourist, Gazelle Lausanne, Gazelle Tandem, Koga-Miyata SilverAce, Koga-Miyata WorldTraveller

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 784 Post(s)
Liked 1,238 Times in 686 Posts
The Edelux should be positioned in such a way that, when riding and pointed at a wall, the bright part of the light beam does not go any higher than the light itself so that it doesn't blind other riders.
There is always a bit of a shadow when mounted on the fork crown but nothing that is too bad.
Old 02-13-20, 08:44 AM
rumrunn6

Originally Posted by OldTryGuy
Rarely use my drops so I have a NiteRider mounted on inside of each drop. Solid, no extension, minimize vibration -- just a different approach
that sounds cool, got a pic?
Old 02-13-20, 08:59 AM
rumrunn6

Originally Posted by freckles
lighting the sky instead of the road ahead
lol, I can relate. my light, before adding a DIY beam cutoff hood. used to do this (aiming it lower, helped a little, but didn't solve the blinding problem entirely)

then I did 2 things, 1, added wide angle diffuser &2, added a DIY beam cutoff hood (this spread the light sideways & cut off the beam from blinding oncoming traffic)

currently, I removed the wide angle diffuser but kept the hood & just play with aiming lower or higher depending on where I'm riding

aimed a little higher

Old 02-13-20, 04:09 PM
JaccoW
Overdoing projects

Bikes: Batavus Randonneur GL, Gazelle Orange Excellent, Gazelle Super Licht, Gazelle Grand Tourist, Gazelle Lausanne, Gazelle Tandem, Koga-Miyata SilverAce, Koga-Miyata WorldTraveller

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 784 Post(s)
Liked 1,238 Times in 686 Posts
FYI, my B+M IQ-X that's mounted to the front rack still casts a shadow.

Below are pictures of the IQ-XS before I replaced it with its brighter brother, the IQ-X.
I switched to the IQ-X because I didn't like the XS's beam shape for long-distance riding. The IQ-X has a much better beam that's less blotchy.

Beam shots:

Likes For JaccoW:
Old 02-13-20, 08:04 PM
rumrunn6

Oh that’s a great mount, wild looking lights & sweet beam
Likes For rumrunn6:
Old 02-16-20, 08:07 AM
63rickert

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 1090 Post(s)
Liked 331 Times in 247 Posts
An oma bike? Those have fenders. Fender mount always looks great. Easy with some lights, hard with others.

In home of oma bikes they believe the crown mount is best and the lights are designed to work best with that height. The shadow is there for everybody and they just accept it and work with it. If you can't accept it well you have some work to do.

Thank you for being aware of other road users and not blinding them.
Old 02-16-20, 08:26 AM
Flip Flop Rider

Bikes: 2010 Fuji Absolute 3.0 1994 Trek 850

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 762 Post(s)
Liked 555 Times in 322 Posts
use something to extend the top edge of the light housing, like a playing card or piece of plastic and tape it on there. Just make it for the top half of the light, like a small hood