Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Thru axle question

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Thru axle question

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-17, 03:06 PM
JohnEBongo

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thru axle question

I just bought a new road bike that has thru axels. I do not have any experience with these. I noticed that on the front wheel if you tighten the thru axels it creates resistance and the wheel does not spin freely. If I loosen the thru axel until the wheel spins freely, then it seems way too loose. What gives?? Thanks!!
Old 11-18-17, 03:26 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6195 Post(s)
Liked 4,810 Times in 3,318 Posts
Sounds like the bearings may have been put up too tight. Or you are really putting a lot of muscle into tightening the through axle.

If wheel bearings feel perfect when the wheel is not clamped in or the axle tightened, then they usually will be too tight when installed with a QR. I'd think it would be the same for a thru-axle. IMO... of course.

Tightening the QR or thru-axle compresses the spindle the bearing cones are on. Possibly the cones, locknuts, spacers and such are installed wrong.
Old 11-18-17, 03:32 PM
Doge

Bikes: 1979 Raleigh Team 753

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3375 Post(s)
Liked 371 Times in 253 Posts
Originally Posted by JohnEBongo
I just bought a new road bike that has thru axels. I do not have any experience with these. I noticed that on the front wheel if you tighten the thru axels it creates resistance and the wheel does not spin freely. If I loosen the thru axel until the wheel spins freely, then it seems way too loose. What gives?? Thanks!!
I too am new at these. Kid bought a cross bike with 4 sets of wheels, then another cross bike, then I bought new wheels. So 6 sets. When one is moved to the other bike - there is resistance. The new wheels came with spacers. I hope to see in the next week if it is just spacers.
Old 11-18-17, 03:34 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6195 Post(s)
Liked 4,810 Times in 3,318 Posts
Oh, I suppose another possibility is that the brakes are rubbing and need adjusting. calipers, disc or cantelever?

Are you certain the spacers are installed and the frame is simply not being tightened against the part of the hub that is supposed to rotate?
Old 11-19-17, 10:05 AM
JohnEBongo

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Iride01
Oh, I suppose another possibility is that the brakes are rubbing and need adjusting. calipers, disc or cantilever?
Disc breaks...and they don't appear to be rubbing. Going to go by the LBS today.
Old 11-19-17, 10:45 AM
FlashBazbo
Chases Dogs for Sport

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 983 Post(s)
Liked 141 Times in 94 Posts
I've been using thru axles for a few years on gravel bikes and I have them now on my road bike. I've never had that problem with a hub . . . but I HAVE had an issue with a brake disc / caliper. If I tightened the thru axle too tight, the frame would flex enough to cause the caliper to rub the disc. If I backed the thru axle off 1/4 or 1/2 turn, the problem was solved.
Old 11-19-17, 12:35 PM
surak

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix, Canyon Inflite AL SLX, Ibis Ripley AF, Priority Continuum Onyx, Santana Vision, Kent Dual-Drive Tandem

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 878 Post(s)
Liked 726 Times in 436 Posts
Originally Posted by FlashBazbo
I've been using thru axles for a few years on gravel bikes and I have them now on my road bike. I've never had that problem with a hub . . . but I HAVE had an issue with a brake disc / caliper. If I tightened the thru axle too tight, the frame would flex enough to cause the caliper to rub the disc. If I backed the thru axle off 1/4 or 1/2 turn, the problem was solved.
I just had problems with disc rubbing after replacing my tires before seeing this thread, but didn't feel comfortable with loosening the thru axle, so I adjusted my brake alignment instead. The rubbing probably was due to frame flex though.
Old 11-20-17, 06:09 PM
dmanthree

Bikes: Garmin/Tacx Bike Smart

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 646 Post(s)
Liked 289 Times in 191 Posts
Originally Posted by JohnEBongo
Disc breaks...and they don't appear to be rubbing. Going to go by the LBS today.
Good idea. I have through axels and nothing like that happens on mine, and I've got the in tight.
Old 11-21-17, 08:04 AM
Jiggle

Bikes: BH, Cervelo, Cube, Canyon

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 212 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Through axles are so silly on road bikes.