Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Shoe fitting question.

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Shoe fitting question.

Old 10-01-11, 07:01 AM
WISCONS1N

Bikes: Cervelo R3

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Shoe fitting question.

I found a pair of road shoes on clearance at my lbs. They are a size 45. The problem I'm having is that my toe feels comfortable in the toe box, but my heals are a little sloppy. I tried on a 44 and my heels were tight but my toe was almost touching the front of the shoe. Is the 45 a good fit, or am I probably a 44.5? The guy at the bike shop told me that a little movement in the heel is normal.
Old 10-01-11, 07:12 AM
bianchi10
King Hoternot

Bikes: 2015 Cannondale Evo Hi mod

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
your probably good. from my own recent experience I can tell you that buying shoes where your toes are to close to the end will be really uncomfortable. going up a size you can have room for your toes with winter socks. I made this mistake and wasn't able to get anything more than a summer sock on which made cold weather riding miserable. I just ordered new shoes to go up a size and I'm sure I will be more happy. Reason i went with the smaller choice with my current pair was for the same reason you are tlaking about. in the shimano (My current) a 43.5, my heel felt a little sloppy and was concerned that it would have an effect on my stride so I went smaller. Wrong move. Once your clipped in and have them tight on your foot you should be fine.
Old 10-01-11, 07:19 AM
WISCONS1N

Bikes: Cervelo R3

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm currently wearing size 44 mtb shoes. I also have to wear thin cycling socks with these shoes. They feel good because they are all I've ever worn. The sloppy heel is what worries me.
Old 10-01-11, 07:24 AM
bianchi10
King Hoternot

Bikes: 2015 Cannondale Evo Hi mod

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
it depends on just how sloppy it is. but if your 44 shoes are a snug fit when wearing thin socks, you will be fine going up 1 size. at worst case, you will have to tighten them down really tight, but I dont even think you will have to do that. go back, try them on with some thicker socks and tighten them down. walk around in them a little. If your heel is litterally popping out then they are to big. If your foot is secure but you just feel a little space in the rear, I'm sure you will be fine. you can also ask one of the salesman at your LBS for assistance and an opinion. just go with your gut, if it doesn't feel right dont get it. las tthink you want to do is waste money on a pair of shoes that you wont wear.
Old 10-01-11, 11:04 AM
springs

Bikes: Emonda SLR, Salsa Warbird carbon

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Buy the bigger shoe. You can always put in insoles (Dr. Scholls, etc.) to make a bigger shoe fit.

Last edited by springs; 10-01-11 at 02:44 PM.
Old 10-01-11, 11:40 AM
Phil85207
Century bound

Bikes: Felt AR4 and Cannondale hybrid

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Go try them on in the late afternoon after a good walk when you feet are a little bigger. I think the larger size would be the wise choice.
Old 10-01-11, 11:50 AM
NaBlade
Dammit!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
For my regular non-cycling shoes, I like a comfortable fit with room in the "toe box". Back when I was buying my first pair of road shoes, I was debating between a 42 and 44. The 42 seemed tight but the 44 seemed "comfortable" with only a slight sloppiness at the heel. I was relying on my basic instincts on fitting non-cycling shoes. But my bike fit guy recommended the tighter fit of the 42, he said "trust me". I did, and he was right. Since I don't walk in my road shoes, the tighter fit actually felt perfect on the bike, right from the first pedal stroke.