Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

My New Dream Commuter Bike -- MEC Chance

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-12, 04:39 PM
cycle.stig

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I just settled on my dream commuter bike. Its the 'Chance' from Mountain Equipment Co-Op. I originally wanted a Nexus or Alfine IGH with a belt drive but all my LBS had to special order them, no fitting and non-refundable. This bike has the Alfine 11 IGH and standard chain. I've ridden it about 400 KM so far and its performed well. Nice thing about Mountain Equipment Co-Op is that they let you swap out parts if you don't like what the bike came with. I let them keep the pedals and got store credit, I swapped out the tires and grips for better ones. Only downside of the bike is the Fizik Nisene saddle it came with--its the worst saddle I've ever used. I'm going to return it for store credit. https://www.mec.ca/AST/ShopMEC/Cycling/Bikes/PRD~5024-502/mec-chance-bicycle-unisex.jsp

Last night after 400 KM I got my first flat on the rear tire. I've been watching the tires for glass and punctures but hadn't seen anything, and it doesn't look like any spokes were sticking through the rim tape. What I did notice once I re-inflated the tube is that it has all kinds of bulges and looks like its been twisted. I found the hole and it is right along one of the 'twist lines' that can be seen in the second zoomed in picture. Also, when inflated the valve sticks almost sideways instead of straight down. Is this just a defective tube or a really sloppy install?

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
P1000539.jpg (73.3 KB, 102 views)
P1000531.JPG (95.4 KB, 49 views)
P1000536.jpg (34.1 KB, 48 views)

Last edited by cycle.stig; 09-16-12 at 04:44 PM. Reason: add info
Old 09-17-12, 12:17 AM
El Duderino X
Hrumph!

Bikes: 2007 Dahon Cadenza w/ Alfine IGH11, modified MEC Desire w/Alfine IGH8,+ 2 ebikes: Bionx PL350 & 36V eZee FHB/Tidalforce frames.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Nice bike! After looking for a new frame to replace my previous commuter and coming up with bupkis I bought an MEC Desire (same frame) and swapped my wheel-set (Handspun Pavement series 2 Shimano IGH rear and dynohub up front) and various commuter bits over. Very happy with my choice.

That innertube on the other hand... yikes!
Old 09-17-12, 12:47 AM
FlatSix911

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Looks like a very bad tube installation ... next time try a little talcum powder when seating the tube in the tire
Old 09-17-12, 12:32 PM
cycle.stig

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by FlatSix911
Looks like a very bad tube installation ... next time try a little talcum powder when seating the tube in the tire
Agreed, a very bad install. Wasn't me though. That's how it came brand new from the shop. I'm gonna take the tube in and ask for a new one. It's not like there expensive, it's just the principle of it.
Old 09-17-12, 06:41 PM
irclean
Born Again Pagan

Bikes: Schwinn hybrid, Raleigh MTB

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Nice ride! Love the trekking bars, too! Run a cotton ball through the inside of the tire to look for slivers of glass, etc. before installing new tube.
Old 09-18-12, 07:25 AM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 3138 Post(s)
Liked 1,706 Times in 1,031 Posts
Yes, that's a proper commuter...with a whole lotta handlebar! I like it!

I'd probably go with a full coverage front fender myself, though.