Search
Notices
Long Distance Competition/Ultracycling, Randonneuring and Endurance Cycling Do you enjoy centuries, double centuries, brevets, randonnees, and 24-hour time trials? Share ride reports, and exchange training, equipment, and nutrition information specific to long distance cycling. This isn't for tours, this is for endurance events cycling

Why does everyone like Camelbacks?

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-13, 10:34 PM
dwmckee

Bikes: Co-Motion Cappuccino Tandem,'88 Bob Jackson Touring, Co-Motion Cascadia Touring, Open U.P., Ritchie Titanium Breakaway, Frances Cycles SmallHaul cargo bike. Those are the permanent ones; others wander in and out of the stable occasionally as well.

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 427 Post(s)
Liked 339 Times in 229 Posts
Why does everyone like Camelbacks?

I see so many folks use camelbacks and I'd like to get a better understanding of why. Common sense says to me that I would not want all of that weight on my back and I'd also not want the ventilation blocked on my back underneath it. But I also have never actually tried a Camelback. Can some folks weigh in here about their experiences pro and con of one? Also, any idea what percent of distance riders use them?

Your comments much appreciated.

Don
Old 01-08-13, 10:42 PM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 329 Posts
You have to try them to understand.

For one thing, that "ventilation blocked" thing you brought up is not an issue. In fact, a camelbak is nice on a hot day because it keeps your back cool.

And having the cold water right there is quite handy. They are also a decent option for carrying water on long remote rides.

However, the reason I don't use a camelbak very often, and definitely not on really long rides, is that the weight of the camelbak on my shoulders gave me some serious issues on the Last Chance 1200K.

My impression is that quite a small percentage of long distance riders use camelbaks.
Old 01-08-13, 10:44 PM
pilate7004

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Another way to use it is to put the bladder into a larger back pack, if you need to carry extra gear as well.
Old 01-08-13, 11:20 PM
Homeyba

Bikes: Colnago C-50, Calfee Dragonfly Tandem, Specialized Allez Pro, Peugeot Competition Light

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I take mine on long brevets but I don't wear it all the time for the very reason mentioned by Machka. When I don't need it I strap it to my rear rack. When it's really hot or you have a long distance between water stops they are invaluable.
Old 01-08-13, 11:22 PM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 329 Posts
Originally Posted by pilate7004
Another way to use it is to put the bladder into a larger back pack, if you need to carry extra gear as well.
Not the best idea for a really long ride. Weight on your shoulders can cause some serious issues after quite a number of hours in the saddle.

Another way to use the camelbak is to strap it to your rack or to the top of your trunk bag. Let your bicycle do the heavy lifting.
Old 01-08-13, 11:32 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,696 Times in 2,517 Posts
People who have hydration packs don't run out of water very often. I don't know why I haven't bought one, water can easily be the biggest issue on a long ride in the summer.
Old 01-08-13, 11:47 PM
zonatandem

Bikes: Custom Zona c/f tandem + Scott Plasma single

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 11 Posts
On our tandem we have room for 7 water bottles.
We live in the Arizona desert and prefer not to have the weight on our backs while riding.
We actually partially freeze our bottles when riding in summer (yes, 100+ degrees).
Let the bike do the carrying . . .
Pedal on TWOgether!
Rudy and Kay/zonatandem
Old 01-09-13, 10:09 AM
DXchulo
Upgrading my engine

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have one, but don't use it very often. My main issue with it is that I do a lot of standing while climbing and the Camelbak isn't comfortable in that situation and makes a lot of noise. I'd probably get used to it if I made myself wear it long enough, but I prefer to just put a 3rd bottle in a jersey pocket if I'm going to need extra water. It does get warm and dry here in the summer, but 3 bottles is usually enough to get me to the next campground or gas station.

The Camelbak is good for winter riding. If I put it under my jacket it won't freeze as easily as a water bottle. I don't do much climbing in the winter, so it doesn't bother me as much. It's also great for hiking.
Old 01-09-13, 10:19 AM
prathmann

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
I don't wear a Camelback for the reasons mentioned by the OP - I find it causes back pains by the end of the day. But I do sometimes use a Camelback bladder inside my handlebar bag when touring. The extra insulation inside the bag lets me have cold water all day long.
Old 01-09-13, 11:08 AM
catonec 

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I use one (plus 2 bottles) when I know Im going to be riding in the woods all day and not near any stores but on the road 2 24oz bottles are enough for a 3 hour ride. Plus I could always get more at multiple places along my 47 mile loop.
Old 01-09-13, 11:15 AM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3889 Post(s)
Liked 1,938 Times in 1,383 Posts
I'll take mine when it's going to be a long way, like 50 miles, between controls or water sources and it's going to be hot. A lot of climbing is a given. Two liter bottles plus a 70 oz. Camelbak is about right for those conditions. I just wear it on my back, empty, when I don't need it, 'cause I don't have a rack when I'm randoing on my single. We don't do crazy stuff like that on the tandem.
Old 01-09-13, 03:31 PM
maxine

Bikes: Airborne Carpe Diem; Trek 520

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I don't use mine as much as I used to, because if at all possible I would rather have my bike than my body carry weight. But another minor advantage that I don't think has yet been mentioned is that when you are clawing up that umpteenth big climb at the end of a looong day, and you're beginning to get stupid tired, it's just so much *easier* to pop that conveniently nearby hose into your mouth for a swig. No reaching down to wrestle a bottle out of a cage, and then again to get it back in there when you're done.
Old 01-09-13, 05:29 PM
Pug
High Modulus

Bikes: Cervelo R3, Ridley X-Night

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have a 100 oz Camelbak. Use it primarily in the summer. I'm a clyesdale size rider and I go through a lot of water when it's warm outside. For example, a 24 oz water bottle will last about 1 hour. On a long ride the Camelbak saves me the trouble of having to stop for water. Since the bladder is insulated it keeps water cold long after water bottles go warm, too. The Camelbak also has storage for extra food/snacks, another spare tube & CO2, and a light rain jacket. My back definitely feels it the first few times I use each season then I adjust and it's not uncomfortable.
Old 01-11-13, 11:49 AM
CoMotionRider

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I use it on my Tandem. I can carry 5 water bottles on that bike, but it is hard for me to get to the bottles to drink, so I don't drink as often as I should.
On my other bikes (singles) I will wear it when it is really hot out, I put ice in it and the water stays cold longer and keeps my back cool and I find I drink more when I wear it than using the bottles. The camelback I find makes it very simple to get a drink
Old 01-11-13, 12:06 PM
StephenH
Uber Goober

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 190 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 32 Posts
Before I had my Camelbak, I would have two 24 oz bottles on the bike, two 32 oz bottles in a trunk bag. But that also meant I had to stop and transfer water every few miles.

With a 100 oz Camelbak and two bottles on the bike, I'm good for about 30 miles in the heat of summer. Get me a bike with 6 bottle holders and I don't guess I'd need the Camelbak.

I learned long ago that some people sweat more than others, so how much you need to drink can be completely different from what someone else needs.

Usually, I use the Camelbak for water and the botttles for Gatorade, etc.
Old 01-11-13, 04:06 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,696 Times in 2,517 Posts
one time in Utah I went through 5 water bottles in less than 30 miles. I was so dehydrated I had to make the call of shame.
Old 01-18-13, 11:59 PM
cheg

Bikes: 2020 Thompson Randonneur, 2008 Davidson Custom Titanium, 2012 Custom Seven Steel Tandem, 1981 Shogun Touring Bike, 1974 Raleigh International

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
I use a camelback on rides through remote places like the Colorado High Country 1200k. 60 to 80 miles between towns was typical. I carried 2 large bottles with Perpetuum and a camelback. I was never sorry I had it. I don't enjoy wearing it but it's better than running out of water.

I started out on PBP wearing one but soon realized that there was little chance of running out of water because so many townspeople were standing by the road offering to fill your bottles!
Old 01-23-13, 03:05 PM
lhbernhardt
Dharma Dog

Bikes: Rodriguez Shiftless street fixie with S&S couplers, Kuwahara tandem, Trek carbon, Dolan track

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I don't use a Camelback because I am the camel.

I just have one bottle cage on my fixie. Used one large bottle for PBP, refilling at the controls, no problem (but the 2011 ride was pretty cool).

On my long rides last year (three California Triple Crown double-centuries), one bottle was sufficient between rest stops, even at a warm Davis and Knoxville. But when I arrive at the rest stops, I do tend to slam down a cold Coke pretty fast!

And on my winter rides up here in the cool Pac NW, I've even taken off the bottle cage. No bottle at all for rides up to 3 hours (80 km). Usually I just forget to bring one...

Luis
Old 01-23-13, 03:26 PM
Yo Spiff
Carpe Velo

Bikes: 2000 Bianchi Veloce, '88 Schwinn Prologue, '90 Bianchi Volpe,'94 Yokota Grizzly Peak, Yokota Enterprise, '16 Diamondback Haanjo, '91 Bianchi Boardwalk, Ellsworth cruiser

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 13 Posts
I drink more frequently because the valve is so conveniently located. In cooler weather, I may just take a bottle on shorter rides. However, I've noticed I drink less when I have to fumble with the bottle. That's more of an issue when riding in a group.

It also has a bit of storage if I am wearing a jersey or shirt without rear pockets. (I have a 2010 Lobo) My phone goes in the upper compartment right behind my head where I can hear even the light dingle of a text message.

Weight isn't an issue. I notice the pack at first if I've done riding without it recently, but it disappears very quickly.
Old 02-27-13, 03:47 PM
benajah
One legged rider

Bikes: Kuota Kharma, Surly LHT, CAAD9, Bianchi fg/ss

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
For me it's pretty ride-specific. I prefer bottles so I can better measure my fluid and perpetuem like product intake, but I'll use a camelbak if I feel like I need that much water.
I did see an interesting product on the camelbak website, a flow meter for the hose. Seems you can measure how much you are drinking. Might check it out.
Old 02-27-13, 04:17 PM
Barrettscv 
Have bike, will travel

Bikes: Ridley Helium SLX, Canyon Endurance SL, De Rosa Professional, Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra, Schwinn Paramount (1 painted, 1 chrome), Peugeot PX10, Serotta Nova X, Simoncini Cyclocross Special, Raleigh Roker, Pedal Force CG2 and CX2

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 910 Post(s)
Liked 288 Times in 158 Posts
I'll use a seatpost mounted water bottle cages and frame mounted cages to carry enough water for 4 hours.

When I ride my bike I feel free and happy and strong. I'm liberated from the usual nonsense of day to day life. Solid, dependable, silent, my bike is my horse, my fighter jet, my island, my friend. Together we will conquer that hill and thereafter the world.
Old 02-28-13, 12:32 PM
benajah
One legged rider

Bikes: Kuota Kharma, Surly LHT, CAAD9, Bianchi fg/ss

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Barrettscv
I'll use a seatpost mounted water bottle cages and frame mounted cages to carry enough water for 4 hours.

Yeah that's a good location. Also under the downtube, it's really easy to attach an extra bottle cage with hose clamps from the hardware store (I've only found metal ones with the right metal tabs though).
On my MTB I have two bottles in the normal spots, one under the downtube, and can fit a fourth, 20 ounce bottle on my seat post right under my saddle. It's awkward to get out and in but it does fit.
wont work on a road bike fork, but Salsa makes cages that can clamp on a MTB fork as well. I've never tried them though.

Last edited by benajah; 02-28-13 at 12:36 PM.
Old 03-02-13, 07:37 PM
LucF

Bikes: Cervélo R3, Trek Wahoo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I use a Camelback 70 oz /2 L Antidote reservoir inside my frame with a tube extension to reach the handlebar. Couldn't stand to have it on my back for long distances. It holds about 3 big water bottles and by the time I have to refill (every 3 hours usually) a 1.5 L water bottle will top it up nicely.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Cervélo R3 Camelback 009.jpg (97.3 KB, 56 views)
Old 03-03-13, 04:44 AM
Bekologist
totally louche

Bikes: the ever shifting stable loaded with comfortable road bikes and city and winter bikes

Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts
Like many other posters, have never enjoyed any weight on my back over a long days ride. However, this fall I picked up a LW Osprey hydration pack for this seasons endurance off-road rides and will give them another fighting chance.

For road riding I prefer to let the bike carry the water whenever possible, or at least as much as possible.

Iditabikers (dialing up the way-back machine to its inaugural) and endurance offroad rigs commonly use waterbottles mounted to the fork. I've snapped a couple of fork mounted bottle cages on gravel roads when using them to carry full liters, but fine when there's 20 ounce bottles or when riding low vibrational snow or pavement.

Here's one of my old drop bar endurance rigs set up with a gallon of water on the bike. Room for another under the downtube. I could have added two liters behind the seat like barretscv, but didn't need to.

indoors and native

If your bike's outfitted like Barretscv's Soma, finding a way to mount a water bottle AND your pump on the seattube brazeons can lessen a persons' need to use a camelbak. I've also often considered customizing the braze-on spacing on a frame to maximize bottle fit. Three in triangle, one below downtube in this size of frame.
Attached Images
gallonbottle.jpg (86.6 KB, 65 views)
bikewashout.jpg (99.9 KB, 65 views)
iditabike2.jpg (20.2 KB, 33 views)

Last edited by Bekologist; 03-03-13 at 04:35 PM.
Old 03-06-13, 10:30 PM
ythe1300

Bikes: Trek 7100 Multi-Track

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Is there a good under saddle cage anyone would recommend, I ride a 50cm frame so there isn't really any extra room in the triangle. I have seen a few of these but they all look a bit flimsy.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.