Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Regional Discussions > Western Canada
Reload this Page >

Spring Osoyoos-Vernon-Kelowna Trip

Search
Notices
Western Canada Alberta | British Columbia | Manitoba | Northwest Territories | Nunavut | Saskatchewan | Yukon Territory

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-11, 07:40 PM
trustnoone

Bikes: 2011 Colnago World Cup, 2012 Eddy Merckx AMX-2

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Good day,

I am considering this route around Okanagan Lake for our annual cycling trip in 2012

https://ridewithgps.com/routes/857863

With a start in Osoyoos this route lends itself to two nights in Kelowna. Do any cyclists have recommendations for lodging in Kelowna. We we be a group of at least five guys so sharing beds is out of the question. A motel or suites are fine, and direct outside access to rooms is preferable for bike security.

We've stayed in hostels in the past as well, so they are an option we would consider as well.

Any information on Highway 97 north from Osoyoos to Vernon and Highway 33 South from Vernon to Highway 3 would be appreciated to.

Ride hard,
TNO
Old 12-19-11, 10:45 PM
lhbernhardt
Dharma Dog

Bikes: Rodriguez Shiftless street fixie with S&S couplers, Kuwahara tandem, Trek carbon, Dolan track

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Accommodation: check out Accent Inns. I have never stayed in one, but they have been marketing to cyclists at the Vancouver Bike-to-Work-Week. They say they have a bike room with tools and rags at all their motels; google them and check out their web site. Their Kelowna location is quite central; it's on the main drag, but close to "The Sails" (a statue on the lake front where people gather for rides). Kelowna is not bad for cycling as long as you stay off Hwy 97 (the main drag). It's got the most bike lanes per capita of any city in Canada!

Some suggested modifications (assuming you are riding clockwise): when you reach the northernmost part of the ride (the right turn off Westside Rd to Hwy 97), rather than stay on 97 to where it meets 97A, turn right at Old Kamloops Rd and take that into Vernon. At the south end of Vernon, rather than get on Hwy 97, take the parallel 34th St, which becomes Mission Rd. It climbs into the hills, but is far nicer than riding on the shoulder of Hwy 97. Watch for the junction with Bailey Rd, where you turn left and descend to join Hwy 97 at Kalamalka Lake.

You can then stay on Hwy 97, as planned, as it has a good shoulder at this point. But this shoulder disappears south of Oyama, so you want to make the left turn and ride into Oyama on that narrow piece of land between Kalamalka Lk and Wood Lk. You then turn right and take the back road east of Wood Lake to Winfield. Once there, you can get onto Glenmore Road to get back to Kelowna. As you can see, you want to stay off Hwy 97 whenever you can, but the most critical part to be off of it is that section adjacent to Wood Lake, which the eastside route will let you do.

As far as Hwy 33, I've never ridden it beyond Garner Road (your route thru the apple orchards in southeast Kelowna is a good choice). It has good shoulders coming out of Kelowna, but that's all I know.

Hwy 97 from Osoyoos goes thru red wine country. It's pretty busy; your route via Hwy 3 to Keremeos is just as good, though it gets busy between Keremeos and Penticton. Hwy 97 thru Westbank is not very pleasant; I would consider taking Boucherie as a detour, getting back on 97 just before the exit to Westside Road.

I live near Vancouver, but I spent three weeks in Kelowna on business this past September, managing to ride my bike every day, and on weekends I did rides with the local club riders, so I'm just passing on some of what I picked up about the area. Hope you have a great ride!

L.
Old 12-23-11, 08:56 AM
jdon

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 343 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by lhbernhardt
Accommodation: check out Accent Inns. I have never stayed in one, but they have been marketing to cyclists at the Vancouver Bike-to-Work-Week. They say they have a bike room with tools and rags at all their motels; google them and check out their web site. Their Kelowna location is quite central; it's on the main drag, but close to "The Sails" (a statue on the lake front where people gather for rides). Kelowna is not bad for cycling as long as you stay off Hwy 97 (the main drag). It's got the most bike lanes per capita of any city in Canada!

Some suggested modifications (assuming you are riding clockwise): when you reach the northernmost part of the ride (the right turn off Westside Rd to Hwy 97), rather than stay on 97 to where it meets 97A, turn right at Old Kamloops Rd and take that into Vernon. At the south end of Vernon, rather than get on Hwy 97, take the parallel 34th St, which becomes Mission Rd. It climbs into the hills, but is far nicer than riding on the shoulder of Hwy 97. Watch for the junction with Bailey Rd, where you turn left and descend to join Hwy 97 at Kalamalka Lake.

You can then stay on Hwy 97, as planned, as it has a good shoulder at this point. But this shoulder disappears south of Oyama, so you want to make the left turn and ride into Oyama on that narrow piece of land between Kalamalka Lk and Wood Lk. You then turn right and take the back road east of Wood Lake to Winfield. Once there, you can get onto Glenmore Road to get back to Kelowna. As you can see, you want to stay off Hwy 97 whenever you can, but the most critical part to be off of it is that section adjacent to Wood Lake, which the eastside route will let you do.

As far as Hwy 33, I've never ridden it beyond Garner Road (your route thru the apple orchards in southeast Kelowna is a good choice). It has good shoulders coming out of Kelowna, but that's all I know.

Hwy 97 from Osoyoos goes thru red wine country. It's pretty busy; your route via Hwy 3 to Keremeos is just as good, though it gets busy between Keremeos and Penticton. Hwy 97 thru Westbank is not very pleasant; I would consider taking Boucherie as a detour, getting back on 97 just before the exit to Westside Road.

I live near Vancouver, but I spent three weeks in Kelowna on business this past September, managing to ride my bike every day, and on weekends I did rides with the local club riders, so I'm just passing on some of what I picked up about the area. Hope you have a great ride!

L.
Great post. I stayed at Accent Inns in both Kelowna and Kamloops during cycling stays last summer. Both cater to cyclists and have a bike wash station, bike stand and even some loaner tools. They are motels and both have exterior access. Nothing fancy but nice and clean. If you tell them you are cycling when you make the reservation, they try to give you the ground level floors. A+ for a cycling trip.
Old 12-26-11, 11:52 AM
trustnoone

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by lhbernhardt
... so I'm just passing on some of what I picked up about the area. Hope you have a great ride!

L.
Fantastic information. Thanks ihbernhardt and jdon!
Old 12-26-11, 12:55 PM
trustnoone

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
So this route instead: https://ridewithgps.com/routes/866006
Old 01-24-12, 06:23 PM
mikemcma

Bikes: Spec. Roubaix, spec Epic mtb, kona mtb.

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
An alternate route suggestion

Looks like a great ride! However I would like to make a suggestion for the beginning of your ride, an alternative to the Osoyoos/Keremeos/Penticton route. And that is the Osoyoos/Oliver/Okanagan Falls/Penticton route.
Starting from Osoyoos, head north for a few clicks on Hwy 97. Turn right on road 22, which turns into Black Sage Road once over the bridge, and follow to Oliver. Very quiet road rolling past several vineyards with nice views to the west. When you reach the stop sign in Oliver carry on across the intersection and the road now becomes Tuc-El-Nuit Road. Follow this road past Tuc-El-Nuit Lake and merge onto Hwy 97 north of Oliver. Follow the highway past Vaseux Lake and into Okanagan Falls, making a pit stop at Tickleberry's Ice Cream Emporium if one is so inclined. Carry on to 7th Ave, one block past the 97 turnoff and turn right, then left on East Side Road. This windy road follows the shoreline of Skaha Lake most of the way to Penticton.
So thats it, some nice, rolling country roads, vineyards, an impressive rock bluff and other cool geologic formations, 3 lakes and not a lot of traffic in the spring. Mostly travelling in the 50-80 kmh range. Oh yeah, and Tickleberry's. One of the nicest road bike rides around.
On the other route right off the bat you have Richter Pass, a big high/lowlight of the Penticton Ironman Triathlon. Many a grown man and woman have shed big tears on the side of that road. But don't despair!! There are many more giant hills to follow. There are some nice views on that route as well but you may not get to see or enjoy them while you are battling the unceasing wind and the cars and trucks whipping by at 100-140 kmh.
Whichever route you choose, you guys have a great time. And if you see someone on a white Specialized Roubaix, looking like he may have stopped for a few too many tastings, give him a wave!!

Mike
Old 01-30-12, 08:42 AM
trustnoone

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mikemcma
On the other route right off the bat you have Richter Pass, a big high/lowlight of the Penticton Ironman Triathlon......There are many more giant hills to follow. ...
Whichever route you choose, you guys have a great time. And if you see someone on a white Specialized Roubaix, looking like he may have stopped for a few too many tastings, give him a wave!!
Mike
Thanks for the suggestion Mike. One of our riders is racing IM so I think we are pretty firm on leg one. I'll map it anyway as since it sounds nice. As for giant hills, I hope so! Half our group lives on the Prairies and our mountains are incessant head winds. The higher and steeper the better
Old 04-04-12, 11:24 AM
wapiti

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I am coiming late to this thread, so my apologies for that.

I live in the area, so if you want any assistance with routing in the area or any remaining questions - let me know.

Last edited by wapiti; 04-11-12 at 09:44 AM.
Old 04-09-12, 07:23 AM
trustnoone

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by wapiti
I am coiming late to this thread, so my apologies for that.

I live in Kelowna ( SE Kelowna actually), so if you want any assistance with routing in the area or any remaining questions - let me know.
That's great. Thanks!
Old 04-09-12, 09:41 AM
Dan_R

Bikes: 2011 Stevens Super Prestige

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This route looks strangely similar to what we are planning to do that same weekend....oh!

hehehe
Old 04-12-12, 12:59 PM
trustnoone

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Dan_R
This route looks strangely similar to what we are planning to do that same weekend....oh!

hehehe
Not as much of a coincidence as you would think
Old 04-26-12, 04:41 PM
Trikin'

Bikes: Catrike Trail/Catrike Expedition

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 6 Posts
Part of this route inspired a loop trip for us.
I'd like to leave from Osoyoos and head east on the Crow's Nest Hwy to Hwy33
Then up to Kelowna/Rutland and back on Hwy97
I've been trying to aquire a tent site and car storage in Osoyoos with little luck
And I'm still wondering about tent sites along Hwy33
Still awhile off (July1) but I'd like to get this finalized soon