Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Do cycling shoes improve your avg speed by at least 1mph?

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Do cycling shoes improve your avg speed by at least 1mph?

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-11, 03:06 PM
CraigB
Starting over

Bikes: 1990 Trek 1500; 2006 Gary Fisher Marlin; 2011 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 105; 2012 Catrike Trail

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by DX-MAN
Shimano has done a lot of study about pedaling dynamics, and their research indicates that even the pro's do NOT "pedal in circles", that there are dead spaces in our pedal circles. There IS no "360 degree" application of power.
I'm perfectly willing to believe this. But I also believe that trying to pedal in circles is beneficial for my efficiency, and being attached to my pedals aids me in that effort.

BTW, I don't mean for that statement to refute the rest of your post, DX-MAN. I think we're pretty much in agreement on the subject. I'm just trying to add to the conversation.

Last edited by CraigB; 12-21-11 at 03:09 PM.
Old 12-21-11, 03:27 PM
MinnMan

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease Carbon Deore 11, 2020 Salsa Warbird GRX 600, 2020 Canyon Ultimate CF SLX disc 9.0 Di2, 2020 Catrike Eola, 2016 Masi cxgr, 2011, Felt F3 Ltd, 2010 Trek 2.1, 2009 KHS Flite 220

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4393 Post(s)
Liked 3,016 Times in 1,865 Posts
Originally Posted by jackb
I have read the whole thread but remain unconvinced. As to your post, try being a little more civil.
You didn't say, "I have read the explanations and I remain unconvinced." You said, "Where is the explanation?" My apologies if you don't think I'm civil, but perhaps it would improve communication if you say what you mean the first time.
Old 12-21-11, 04:20 PM
Wogster

Bikes: Old Bike: 1975 Raleigh Delta, New Bike: 2004 Norco Bushpilot

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by DX-MAN
Shimano has done a lot of study about pedaling dynamics, and their research indicates that even the pro's do NOT "pedal in circles", that there are dead spaces in our pedal circles. There IS no "360 degree" application of power.

Having said that, I prefer clipless, because I get more power applied through more of the stroke than with flats. I know that, because during a short period of time a few years ago, I had to switch back to flats; it took two days for my calves to turn into solid knots of cramp because I had to modify my pedaling -- my foot came off the pedal every stroke! I was slower, it hurt more, and I was no longer 'part of the bike', I was just 'on the bike'.

1mph increase with clipless and cleated shoes? Shouldn't be a problem, once you get used to it.
Think of the physics and the biology, any conversion from reciprocating to circular motion, goes through 4 stages, TDC or top dead centre, there is no power applied, then the power stroke, then you reach BDC or bottom dead centre, then comes the up stroke, yes with a pedal system you gain the ability to pull up, where as otherwise your using momentum to carry the leg back to the normal position. The question is, does that ability automatically make you faster, without putting in additional effort, no, you need to now lift the leg on the upstroke which uses different muscles, but still uses muscles. The real question, if you don't race, does it really matter?
Old 12-21-11, 04:40 PM
az_cyclist

Bikes: Trek Domane 4.5, Trek 1500

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I dont pull up, but pull back when my foot gets to just before BDC, or maybe the 8 oclock position. I have to concentrate to do this, so I dont do it automatically. My goal is to mash less. It is a more efficient motion, and helps when I ride with a faster group. I also find this helps to ward off cramps in the toes.
Old 12-21-11, 05:13 PM
Mithrandir

Bikes: 2012 Surly LHT, 1995 GT Outpost Trail

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Wogster
So how much of it is the new equipment and how much is it psychological?
I would say it's 100% equipment. Went back to the MTB a few weeks after having the new bike, for one ride, and sure enough my RPM dropped again.
Old 12-26-11, 12:10 PM
trustnoone

Bikes: 2011 Colnago World Cup, 2012 Eddy Merckx AMX-2

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by VNA
But the most important improvement one can make to a bicycle is using good light wheels not just for speed but also going up hill!
Most enthusiast level bikes and better don't come with pedals anyway, so I say pedals and shoes first. Then once the bike is complete, wheels
Old 12-26-11, 12:17 PM
trustnoone

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by teachme
The Tour de Rouge demands a minimum of 15 mph througout the ride. Each day is around 80 miles. This is the reason I am seeking a way to increase my mph average without taxing the engine to severly.
Get them. You're money won't be wasted. Entry level Looks or Speedplays and whatever you are comfortable paying for shoes. You're money won't be wasted.

Clips and straps are a poor substitute unless you are seriously retro or a track racer that can rip his cleats out of his shoes.
Old 12-26-11, 12:34 PM
trustnoone

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jackb
I have read the whole thread but remain unconvinced....
Really!?

I think back to other circa mid 80's technology that was thrown out. Lemond road bars, suspension road forks and seat posts, soft-ride. clipless appears to be standing up well to the test of time.

The number of people who go backwards from clipless and cleats to platform or toe-clips for performance is likely pretty small.
Old 12-26-11, 12:37 PM
trustnoone

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Wogster
Yes the shoes might give you 1MPH, but if you train the engine to turn the pedals faster, you can gain more then 1MPH....
So shoes and training would be better than either by themselves?
Old 12-26-11, 12:43 PM
DnvrFox
Banned.

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
So, if shoes give you 1 mph faster, does that mean that if you are just sitting on the bike with your feet on the pedals you will go 1 mph?
Old 12-26-11, 12:59 PM
teachme

Bikes: 2011 Specialized Sectuer, 1988 Bianchi

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by DnvrFox
So, if shoes give you 1 mph faster, does that mean that if you are just sitting on the bike with your feet on the pedals you will go 1 mph?
Old 12-26-11, 01:00 PM
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1350 Post(s)
Liked 1,245 Times in 623 Posts
I got some walking shoes for Christmas..Will I be able to walk faster?

Old 12-26-11, 03:29 PM
JanMM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro A20, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 347 Times in 226 Posts
Originally Posted by 10 Wheels
I got some walking shoes for Christmas..Will I be able to walk faster?
At least 1mph faster.
Old 12-26-11, 04:56 PM
marmot

Bikes: Kona Dew Drop, Specialized Expedition Sport

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
"Pedalling in circles" and "pulling up" are both in dispute, I guess, but there's a clear efficiency edge to clipless that I don't think anyone has mentioned in this thread: You don't fight your own efforts. On platforms, to keep your non-powered foot in contact with the pedal, you have to exert some degree of pressure on the pedal -- pressure that is counter to the effort you are exerting on the opposite pedal. With your feet clipped in, you can fully unweight the unpowered side. Also, the retention system effortlessly keeps your feet in the ideal position for efficient pedalling. I don't know whether I CAN go faster on clipless pedals, but I know I DO go faster. It's just easier to pedal harder and faster when you know you can't slip off. Toe clips or stretchy straps provide some degree of help, but both are more dangerous and harder to use.
Old 12-26-11, 05:23 PM
Phil85207
Century bound

Bikes: Felt AR4 and Cannondale hybrid

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by marmot
"Pedalling in circles" and "pulling up" are both in dispute, I guess, but there's a clear efficiency edge to clipless that I don't think anyone has mentioned in this thread: You don't fight your own efforts. On platforms, to keep your non-powered foot in contact with the pedal, you have to exert some degree of pressure on the pedal -- pressure that is counter to the effort you are exerting on the opposite pedal. With your feet clipped in, you can fully unweight the unpowered side. Also, the retention system effortlessly keeps your feet in the ideal position for efficient pedalling. I don't know whether I CAN go faster on clipless pedals, but I know I DO go faster. It's just easier to pedal harder and faster when you know you can't slip off. Toe clips or stretchy straps provide some degree of help, but both are more dangerous and harder to use.
Very well said. You could have said his a long time ago and ended thread.
Old 12-26-11, 06:25 PM
NOS88

Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by rubic
Improved speed via cycling shoes. My first answer would be yes. Then I remember PF Flyers in my youth, you remember, they had a red dot on the back. When you wore them, you certainly ran faster, it seemed....
Well I know I got faster when I went to white cycling shoes from my black ones. Or, was it going to black shoes from my white ones?
Old 12-27-11, 12:02 PM
mprelaw

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by rubic
Improved speed via cycling shoes. My first answer would be yes. Then I remember PF Flyers in my youth, you remember, they had a red dot on the back. When you wore them, you certainly ran faster, it seemed....
PF Flyers, or Red Ball Jets? The Kid in the Red Ball Jets was the theme of their TV/radio ads.
Old 12-27-11, 12:20 PM
Don in Austin
Don from Austin Texas

Bikes: Schwinn S25 "department store crap" FS MTB, home-made CF 26" hybrid, CF road bike with straight bar, various wierd frankenbikes

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by teachme
Just wondering... My speed is less than 15mph on avg. and I am hopeing going from Nike training shoes to a good pair of cycling shoes would improve my effeciency by at least 1mph. I'm kinda believing the hype about carbon bikes being faster and so forth. Can't afford a new bike right now, but I could upgrade my shoes...
I guess I don't know how to take advantage of being locked in. I went to the local veloway and did alternate runs with Shimano SPD "flip" pedals and changed shoes after each 3 mile loop. My times were better with the pedals flipped to platform and my steel-toed work shoes. A riding partner had a bike stolen and I helped her put together a half-ass replacement. She has my SPD pedals and regularly asks about paying me for them or buying me another set. I told her no hurry whatsoever! Platforms suit me fine.

Don in Austin
Old 12-27-11, 05:07 PM
DnvrFox
Banned.

Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Don in Austin
I guess I don't know how to take advantage of being locked in. I went to the local veloway and did alternate runs with Shimano SPD "flip" pedals and changed shoes after each 3 mile loop. My times were better with the pedals flipped to platform and my steel-toed work shoes. A riding partner had a bike stolen and I helped her put together a half-ass replacement. She has my SPD pedals and regularly asks about paying me for them or buying me another set. I told her no hurry whatsoever! Platforms suit me fine.

Don in Austin

I am having this image of Don in Austin winning the TdF wearing steel-toed work shoes and work pants.
Old 12-27-11, 06:31 PM
Don in Austin
Don from Austin Texas

Bikes: Schwinn S25 "department store crap" FS MTB, home-made CF 26" hybrid, CF road bike with straight bar, various wierd frankenbikes

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by DnvrFox
I am having this image of Don in Austin winning the TdF wearing steel-toed work shoes and work pants.
In my dreams! But I did ride a century + 12 miles with the steel-toed shoes and levi shorts, the first half on a MTB. That was over Christmas vacation a year ago. I think I would rather not tell you how long it took, but let's just say I did it all within the same day. I plan to do it again Thursday. This will be another urban "century to nowhere" where I just ride around Austin aimlessly until I have 100 miles accrued. I will hang out for a while and then my riding buddies and I will go on the Thursday night 15 miles "supper ride" from my shop to the house. I will post when this has been accomplished.

Don in Austin