Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

First Clipless Purchase?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

First Clipless Purchase?

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-12, 09:08 PM
bike12345

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
First Clipless Purchase?

Evening all,

After roughly 3500 ish miles I have destroyed my base 05 Allezs pedals. Now that Ive gotten somewhat serious about riding it I am told clipless is the way to go. Bikes not being my forte thought I would come here.

So, what would you buy/where at? I live in BFE so Ill have to order it, going to the bike shop and looking at different stuff really isnt an option. Doesnt have to be fancy just has to work, my fitness level/pursuit of the sport doesnt require rolls royce level gear.

Any help is appreciated,
Thanks
Old 04-29-12, 09:15 PM
dpeters11

Bikes: 2010 Trek FX 7.5, 2011 Trek 2.1

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
They aren't actually road pedals, but I like Speedplay Frogs. Easy in and out, recessed cleat. They are technically mountain bike pedals.
Old 04-29-12, 09:15 PM
generalkdi

Bikes: Argon18 Gallium 2016, Trek Emonda SL6 Pro 2018, Salsa Beargrease

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
depend of your budget, I'd suggest some speedplays, but you might as well get something cheaper like 105 pedals.
Old 04-29-12, 09:28 PM
Mike F

Bikes: 2017 Specilized Roubaix, 2012 Scott CR1 Team, Felt Z85

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
105's or KEO classics would work.
Old 04-29-12, 09:30 PM
UCF Eric
OASAASLLS

Bikes: Pake, Surly Pacer, Kilo TT, Giant XTC, SE Stout, 853 Ritchey MTB

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You might want to make the drive out of BFE to try on some shoes and see what fits your foot and what doesn't. I know that I can't wear Shimano shoes unless they're the wide version. You spend money in gas but it's a lot less than trying to sell a pair of shoes that are uncomfortable. As for pedals, I have Speedplay Zero's and personally thing they're the best things ever invented. I rode with SPD-SL's but my knees didn't like them.
Old 04-29-12, 09:53 PM
JonnyUtah75

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
+1 on Speedplay Frogs
Old 04-29-12, 09:56 PM
abstractform20

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
i recommend speedplay zeros as well.

pros:
-15 degrees independently adjustable float
-dual sided
-virtually impossible to accidentally release
-easy maintenance
-most aftermarket fit options available
-best cornering clearance
-low stack height
-more contact area than shimano and look
-light weight

$130 new w/cleats
Old 04-29-12, 09:56 PM
abstractform20

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
also, whats BFE? we arent all your locals.
Old 04-29-12, 09:58 PM
bike12345

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the replies guys. Dont really have any budget constraints, just need something that will work. I am going to assume anything is going to kick the crap out of what I have been using, maybe not I am not sure.

I am going to try and hit a shop, more of a time thing than a distance or gas issue. Any favorites for an online retailer?

BFE = Bum f*** egypt. Middle of nowhere, end of the earth then ten miles more kinda thing.

I am going to assume all shoes have the same size stud/whatever you call it on the bottom, or do I have to match up sizes?

Last edited by CbadRider; 05-01-12 at 09:29 PM. Reason: corrected spelling
Old 04-29-12, 10:05 PM
UCF Eric
OASAASLLS

Bikes: Pake, Surly Pacer, Kilo TT, Giant XTC, SE Stout, 853 Ritchey MTB

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bike12345
Thanks for the replies guys. Dont really have any budget constraints, just need something that will work. I am going to assume anything is going to kick the crap out of what I have been using, maybe not I am not sure.

I am going to try and hit a shop, more of a time thing than a distance or gas issue. Any favorites for an online retailer?

BFE = Bum f*** egypt. Middle of nowhere, end of the earth then ten miles more kinda thing.

I am going to assume all shoes have the same size stud/whatever you call it on the bottom, or do I have to match up sizes?
If you're looking at road shoes, most lower end road shoes have a 3 hole system for Look or Shimano pedals, and a 2 bolt system for MTB pedals.

Last edited by CbadRider; 05-01-12 at 09:30 PM. Reason: Edited quoted post.
Old 04-29-12, 10:44 PM
bored117 

Bikes: Lynskey R230 DA DI2 ENVE 3.4 SES, 6KU Fixie, Cheap Aluminum Slapstick Trainer only bike

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Speed play Zero for me was extremely hard to clip in for whatever reasons (175lbs rider). I literally had to pounce on the pedal to clip in. Giving it a shot with light action for this week. Seems to be much easier. We shall see if it's good enough for stop and go commuting for this week...
BTW, been using SPD before this for about a year. Just need something that feels more stable platform with a little more float preferably... (and potentially getting rid of hot foot syndrome when pedaling beyond few hours)
Old 04-30-12, 06:23 AM
generalkdi

Bikes: Argon18 Gallium 2016, Trek Emonda SL6 Pro 2018, Salsa Beargrease

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bored117
Speed play Zero for me was extremely hard to clip in for whatever reasons (175lbs rider). I literally had to pounce on the pedal to clip in. Giving it a shot with light action for this week. Seems to be much easier. We shall see if it's good enough for stop and go commuting for this week...
BTW, been using SPD before this for about a year. Just need something that feels more stable platform with a little more float preferably... (and potentially getting rid of hot foot syndrome when pedaling beyond few hours)
It certainly has nothing to do with your weight, I clip in easily and am 130lbs. If you just got them, get on a trainer and clip in, out, in, out, in, out. They'll get easier, just remember to push FLAT on the pedal, instead on "front then back" like other pedals, turning your foot on the pedal like squishing a bug is a good trick too.
Old 04-30-12, 07:14 AM
trustnoone

Bikes: 2011 Colnago World Cup, 2012 Eddy Merckx AMX-2

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Speedplay X or light action too. A bit less than zero's. Feel funny for the first mile but after that are great. If you get speedplays get cleat covers.
Old 04-30-12, 07:17 AM
Homebrew01
Super Moderator

Bikes: Old Steelies I made, Old Cannondales

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1173 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 612 Posts
If you have to mailorder shoes, consider return policies as well as price, because it might take a few tries to get the right brand & size.

FYI: https://www.bikeforums.net/forum-sugg...ad-please.html
Old 04-30-12, 09:56 PM
Hendo252 

Bikes: 1983 Trek 620, 2010 Roubaix

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Well, it depends.

I had "Look" compatible pedals and shoes; the 3-hole style. They were great when I was clipped in, but I found them difficult to walk in away from the bike as they tended to slip on slick surfaces like my garage floor, and they put dents in my kitchen floor.

So I changed to Shimano "off-road" shoes/pedals; like these:
https://www.jensonusa.com/!JmZHpXEg5Q...medium=organic
https://www.jensonusa.com/Shimano-M077-MTB-Shoe

I love them. I can walk/drive easily and safely while wearing them, they are comfortable and easy to clip in/out of.

Some folks point out that they are a few grams heavier, but that seems like a nit to me.

We are lucky to have many choices; pay your money and take your choice!

I've never had much luck buying shoes online so I'd also suggest taking the long drive out of BFE to somewhere that you can be fitted properly.

-Tom in SoCal
Old 04-30-12, 09:57 PM
Hendo252 

Bikes: 1983 Trek 620, 2010 Roubaix

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Homebrew01
If you have to mailorder shoes, consider return policies as well as price, because it might take a few tries to get the right brand & size.
And don't forget the shipping cost if you have to return them... it can add up fast.

Don't ask me how I know!

-Tom in SoCal
Old 04-30-12, 10:02 PM
twodownzero

Bikes: Surly Disc Trucker, Ribble Nero Corsa, Surly Karate Monkey, Surly Ice Cream Truck, Cannondale MT800, Evil Insurgent

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 186 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bored117
Mine were a big pain in the ass for a long time but they finally loosened up. It took a few hundred miles.
Old 04-30-12, 10:15 PM
BarracksSi
Bike ≠ Car ≠ Ped.

Bikes: Some bikes. Hell, they're all the same, ain't they?

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Pick a style of shoe first (basically, 3-bolt "road" or 2-bolt "MTB"), then we'll narrow it down a lot more for ya.

I'd already say to look at the ones that require zero to little maintenance. All clipless systems work one way or another to hold your feet in place. I just don't like to spend off-bike time futzing around with pedals and cleats when I could be either riding or playing video games.