Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Fizik and Specialized printed saddles

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-24, 08:11 PM
Jon_g2 

Bikes: Cannondale caad10

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked 39 Times in 22 Posts

Anyone use one of these 3D printed saddles for more than a year or so? What I'm trying to find out is if bibs wear out faster with these saddles. I read in different places that the specialized ones wear out some people's bibs faster. I think this is because more people ride specialized saddles than fizik but I have no stats or anything on that. My guess is that the tackiness of the nature of the material doesn't allow for much movement, therefore moving around wears out bibs faster. To be fully honest, I just want one because I think they look amazing.
​​​​​​Currently I get along with the fizik tempo Argo. I want either the vento argo adaptive or the specialized romin evo pro mirror. I ride a Cannondale and didn't want specialized products but I'm slowly starting to get over that way of thinking. I just want to ride whatever is more comfortable.
Old 04-04-24, 09:43 PM
Barry2 
LR÷P=HR

Bikes: 1981 Holdsworth Special, 1993 C-dale MT3000 & 1996 F700CAD3, 2018 Cervelo R3 & 2022 R5, JustGo Runt, Ridley Oval, Kickr Bike 8-)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 868 Post(s)
Liked 1,211 Times in 699 Posts
Jon,
Have you measured your sit bones?

Barry
Old 04-04-24, 09:53 PM
Jon_g2 

Originally Posted by Barry2
Jon,
Have you measured your sit bones?

Barry
Hey Barry,

Yes I have. My bike fitter measured me at 143. My current saddle is a 150. I also wondered what would happen if I got a 140mm saddle. Is it generally OK to go up a bit in size and not down and/or vice versa? I would assume it's OK to use a slightly bigger saddle since I get along with my 150mm.
Old 04-04-24, 10:09 PM
Barry2 
LR÷P=HR

Bikes: 1981 Holdsworth Special, 1993 C-dale MT3000 & 1996 F700CAD3, 2018 Cervelo R3 & 2022 R5, JustGo Runt, Ridley Oval, Kickr Bike 8-)

Quoted: 868 Post(s)
Liked 1,211 Times in 699 Posts
Jon,
Not a question I have an answer for.
I get on well with a 135mm, but just purchased two 145mm.
I’d like to try a 145mm indoors in the hope of more comfort.

if you try a 140mm, I would guess you’d need pretty good accuracy sitting on it.
Some bike shops have loaners, it’s a great way to experiment on the cheap.

Barry
Old 04-04-24, 10:15 PM
Jon_g2 

Originally Posted by Barry2
Jon,

if you try a 140mm, I would guess you’d need pretty good accuracy sitting on it.

Barry
That's a good point to consider. I guess if I do go fizik I can stick with the 150 and if I go specialized they do make a 143 anyway so I should be good. I suppose it could take some getting used to if going from my 150 to that 143 though. I will definitely call around to see if there are shops that can loan me what I'm looking for. Thanks Barry!
Old 04-04-24, 10:53 PM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2252 Post(s)
Liked 3,466 Times in 1,818 Posts
I tried a Fizik 3D printed saddle with high expectations, but expectation bias wasn't enough to overcome the empirical reality that it was a literal PITA and also quite abrasive. I immediately sent it back, so I can't tell you how it would have abraded my bike shorts, but I could easily see how this could happen.

Make sure you get the right to return, and put electrical tape on the rails when you try it to keep them from getting scratched. Keep the original packaging.

I love the idea of a 3D printed saddle, but the current products are literally half-assed. When they can take a CAT scan of my rear end, model, and 3D print a custom saddle, I will happily give this another try.
Likes For Polaris OBark:
Old 04-04-24, 11:01 PM
Jon_g2 

Originally Posted by Polaris OBark
I tried a Fizik 3D printed saddle with high expectations, but expectation bias wasn't enough to overcome the empirical reality that it was a literal PITA and also quite abrasive. I immediately sent it back, so I can't tell you how it would have abraded my bike shorts, but I could easily see how this could happen.

Make sure you get the right to return, and put electrical tape on the rails when you try it to keep them from getting scratched. Keep the original packaging.

I love the idea of a 3D printed saddle, but the current products are literally half-assed. When they can take a CAT scan of my rear end, model, and 3D print a custom saddle, I will happily give this another try.
Would that happen to be their antares saddle that you tried? I know pushing on a saddle with your fingers is not at all the same as sitting on it but I had that antares in my hands and couldn't believe someone would even consider that damn thing. It was hard as ugly and hard as a rock lol. When their tempo 3D saddle came out it felt much different. I do believe there's a bike shop like 30 minutes from me that loans saddles. Last time I was in there they had the fizik. I am going to call them tomorrow and ask if they have one I can use.
Old 04-04-24, 11:47 PM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Fizik Vento Argo R3 Adaptive Saddle Black - 150mm
Old 04-05-24, 06:46 AM
Jon_g2 

Fizik Vento Argo R3 Adaptive Saddle Black - 150mm
Dang really? What do you use now?
Old 04-05-24, 09:04 AM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Originally Posted by Jon_g2
Dang really? What do you use now?
My least uncomfortable saddle is a 10 year old Brooks B17 special edition (I think everything is the same as the normal one except the copper rivets). The second in line is a Berthaud Aspin, which I actually like better, but it starts to hurt after about 50 miles. The best non-leather saddle I have found is an SQLabs 611. My ischial protuberances are 120mm apart, fwiw. However, I have the flexibility of a 5 day old cadaver.

I would have gladly paid the ransom had the Fi'zi:k saddle worked, but I think it was just uncomfortable, no doubt due at least in part to all of the spurious punctuation.
Old 04-05-24, 10:12 AM
Garfield Cat

Bikes: Cervelo Prodigy

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 478 Post(s)
Liked 87 Times in 67 Posts
Sit bones:

There is the "fixed" which is the saddle. There is the "variable" which is the rider.

A rider's sit bones appears to be fixed if you measure it sitting down. In the dynamics of riding, the sit bones move around, depending on the various moments of each ride. The distance between the two sit bones may be fixed but taken together, they move around.

There are so many things related to saddle discomfort.
Old 04-05-24, 11:46 AM
Jon_g2 

My least uncomfortable saddle is a 10 year old Brooks B17 special edition (I think everything is the same as the normal one except the copper rivets). The second in line is a Berthaud Aspin, which I actually like better, but it starts to hurt after about 50 miles. The best non-leather saddle I have found is an SQLabs 611. My ischial protuberances are 120mm apart, fwiw. However, I have the flexibility of a 5 day old cadaver.

I would have gladly paid the ransom had the Fi'zi:k saddle worked, but I think it was just uncomfortable, no doubt due at least in part to all of the spurious punctuation.
😂 You never fail to provide a good laugh. Thanks for taking the time to respond with great information in this, and other questions I've had in the past!
Likes For Jon_g2:
Old 04-05-24, 03:46 PM
Mojo31
-------

Quoted: 9656 Post(s)
Liked 6,366 Times in 3,506 Posts
I have the Fizik with carbon rails on both bike - one for well over a year and the other for about 8 months, both in size 135. I love them, and they’re super comfortable. None of my PI or Rapha bibs have been abraded. The saddle look like new.
Old 04-05-24, 03:49 PM
Jon_g2 

Originally Posted by Mojo31
I have the Fizik with carbon rails on both bike - one for well over a year and the other for about 8 months, both in size 135. I love them, and they’re super comfortable. None of my PI or Rapha bibs have been abraded. The saddle look like new.
Which one? I don't see one in size 135. Would you happen to know measurements of your sit bones?
Old 04-05-24, 08:20 PM
Mojo31
-------

Quoted: 9656 Post(s)
Liked 6,366 Times in 3,506 Posts
Which one? I don't see one in size 135. Would you happen to know measurements of your sit bones?
ANTARES VERSUS EVO R1 ADAPTIVE

Make that 139 size.

Dont know my measurement anymore (did before buying). Wife says I have a scrawny ass.
Old 04-05-24, 08:27 PM
Jon_g2 

Originally Posted by Mojo31
ANTARES VERSUS EVO R1 ADAPTIVE

Make that 139 size.

Dont know my measurement anymore (did before buying). Wife says I have a scrawny ass.
😂 Dang. Yeah I think 139 may be a tad too small for me but that's what I'm trying to figure out; if you are able to get a slightly smaller saddle than what your sit bones measure.
Old 04-05-24, 09:30 PM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

😂 Dang. Yeah I think 139 may be a tad too small for me but that's what I'm trying to figure out; if you are able to get a slightly smaller saddle than what your sit bones measure.
I'm guessing your true measurement is 123mm, and the recommended ideal saddle size is therefore 143mm. I am much stockier than the average cyclist, and although down to 185 lbs now, have never been thin (since about age 10). Mine measure at 120mm spacing.

Also, your pelvis narrows toward the front, so the measurement is effectively narrower if you are more aero, wider if you sit more upright.
Likes For Polaris OBark:
Old 04-05-24, 09:34 PM
Jon_g2 

I'm guessing your true measurement is 123mm, and the recommended ideal saddle size is therefore 143mm. I am much stockier than the average cyclist, and although down to 185 lbs now, have never been thin (since about age 10). Mine measure at 120mm spacing.

Also, your pelvis narrows toward the front, so the measurement is effectively narrower if you are more aero, wider if you sit more upright.
Yes I do believe you are correct! I had an offer for a saddle I wanted at 140mm and I didn't take it. I can't even remember now what saddle that was. I don't think going under 143 to 140 will be a huge deal. If anything, I can del or return whatever I end up with. I am, however, still very indecisive if I want a 3D saddle or not. On Monday I will call the shop near me that loans saddles to see if they have either of the ones I want.
Old 04-07-24, 12:29 PM
Lamont Cobb

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 37 Posts

+1 on the Brooks Saddle.
Old 04-07-24, 01:10 PM
Jon_g2 

I think I am going to check out the cadex amp saddle when it comes out. Giant said they are expected late May
Old 04-07-24, 09:16 PM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Bikes: Trek FX 2, Cannondale Synapse x2, Cannondale CAAD4, Santa Cruz Stigmata 3

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1972 Post(s)
Liked 1,494 Times in 1,036 Posts
My bike fitter measured me at 143. My current saddle is a 150.
Your fitter (a) measured your sit bones at 143 mm apart or (b) measured your sit bones to fit you on a 143 mm saddle? Big difference there.

I also wondered what would happen if I got a 140mm saddle.
It really depends on whether you answer (a) or (b) to the above. If really (a) you may need something even wider than a 150 mm saddle. Doesn't your fitter have a few saddles of different widths for you to try?

Is it generally OK to go up a bit in size and not down and/or vice versa? I would assume it's OK to use a slightly bigger saddle since I get along with my 150mm.
It is best to get the one that fits. That is why most saddles come in two sizes and some even come in three.
Old 04-07-24, 09:38 PM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

I think in post 18 he says it is (b).
Likes For Polaris OBark:
Old 04-07-24, 09:43 PM
Jon_g2 

Originally Posted by SoSmellyAir
Your fitter (a) measured your sit bones at 143 mm apart or (b) measured your sit bones to fit you on a 143 mm saddle? Big difference there.

It really depends on whether you answer (a) or (b) to the above. If really (a) you may need something even wider than a 150 mm saddle. Doesn't your fitter have a few saddles of different widths for you to try?

It is best to get the one that fits. That is why most saddles come in two sizes and some even come in three.
Yes I realized I didn't specify that I was at 123 and he added 20mm. I forgot to mention that.
Likes For Jon_g2: