Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Attempting GCN "SuperBike" Build!

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Old 08-12-19, 08:00 AM
mtarrant05

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Hi team!

Recently watched the GCN Trek conversion to "Super Bike" episodes. Fascinating! Thinking this would be really fun.

First, Need your opinions on the starting Frame. I found a local Facebook listing for a 2007 Trek 1600 SL in my sizing. Aluminum Frame and Carbon Fork. He's asking $300. It has Shimano 105 and Ultegra rear derailleur. Good condition.

I'm thinking I could sell of most of those bits and rebuild with the same components GCN used. Newer Shimano 105 groupset. Vision Team 30s. Deda handlebar/stem.

Thoughts on the 1600 Frame? $300 fair for the stock bike? I whittled him down from $350 but won't go any further.

I like the aluminum because I will sometimes throw a Thule Ride-A-Long baby seat on it for our 1 year old.
Old 08-12-19, 08:04 AM
sdmc530
Heft On Wheels

Bikes: Specialized,Cannondale,Argon 18

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 887 Post(s)
Liked 560 Times in 346 Posts
keep looking.... try the proscloset or ebay.

Nothing wrong with alum.....I have a bike in that and carbon both are great to ride to me.
Old 08-12-19, 08:12 AM
mtarrant05

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by sdmc530
keep looking.... try the proscloset or ebay.

Nothing wrong with alum.....I have a bike in that and carbon both are great to ride to me.

What would you recommend I look for? Something different or just a better price?
Old 08-12-19, 08:27 AM
Sapperc

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix SL4 Comp, Trek 930, Nishiki International

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 15 Posts
That’s a 13 model year old bike. I’d be concerned about the wear and tear you can’t see (BB, headset and hub bearings, etc.) Also, choice of wheelset and tire width will be limited as compared to recent frames. Since you really only want the frame anyway, I wouldn’t consider this a particularly good deal.

But this is your project. Why are you asking others about subjective value? It only has to make sense to you. Unless you can find everything you want at a huge discount and do all of the restoration and rebuild yourself, you are unlikely to save money over what you could probably buy already built into a bike of new stock.

Good luck!
Old 08-12-19, 10:51 AM
sdmc530
Heft On Wheels

Bikes: Specialized,Cannondale,Argon 18

Quoted: 887 Post(s)
Liked 560 Times in 346 Posts
Originally Posted by mtarrant05
What would you recommend I look for? Something different or just a better price?
both!

Pick a budget and then decide where you want to take this. You can get a NOS super nice frame or slightly used for not a lot of money. What isn't a lot of money to me may be a chunk to you.
Old 08-12-19, 11:32 AM
velojym

Bikes: Konas: Jake the Snake-Fire Mountain-Zing Supreme, Dew Deluxe,Zone Ltd. (frame, needs parts), Surly Long Haul Trucker, Santana Arriva tandem, Montagues: Paratrooper-Fit, Trek 1200, Bianchi Ocelot, Fantom Cross Uno, Bridgestone 200

Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked 227 Times in 122 Posts
I enjoyed that GCN video as well, and the timing was pretty good, as I'd just won a 2005 1200 frame on the bay.
I'm mounting Deda stem/bar, and bought a Tiagra groupset on alibaba for just over 200 bucks. I have a takeoff wheelset, from a Trek a friend upgraded a few years back and never rode on these... probably almost the same sort of wheel that came with the frame.
I really wanted 105, but for the price difference, and for the type of riding I do, I figured Tiagra will do just fine.
While this frame may seem a little gaudy, I don't think I'll be painting it any time soon.

Old 08-12-19, 12:03 PM
mtarrant05

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by velojym
I enjoyed that GCN video as well, and the timing was pretty good, as I'd just won a 2005 1200 frame on the bay.
I'm mounting Deda stem/bar, and bought a Tiagra groupset on alibaba for just over 200 bucks. I have a takeoff wheelset, from a Trek a friend upgraded a few years back and never rode on these... probably almost the same sort of wheel that came with the frame.
I really wanted 105, but for the price difference, and for the type of riding I do, I figured Tiagra will do just fine.
While this frame may seem a little gaudy, I don't think I'll be painting it any time soon.

Nice!! Mind me asking how much that frame set you back?

I'm with you. My riding is light and I don't need to get to far in here. That said, these little projects are very cathartic for me.

As for the paint, have you checked out Spray.Bike? Seems interesting and fairly straight forward. That said, I don't mind the style of your 1200. Looks good.
Old 08-12-19, 12:04 PM
ridelikeaturtle

Bikes: Bianchi Ti Megatube; Colnago Competition; Planet-X EC-130E; Klein Pulse; Amp Research B4; Litespeed Catalyst; Trek Y11

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 596 Post(s)
Liked 478 Times in 258 Posts
A nice Italian steel frame - I'd recommend a Bianchi, Colnago, or De Rosa - with better-than-entry-level wheels and tyres, and you may shock yourself. It may not be purely as light as an aluminium frame, but it won't be far off, and the ride quality will more than make up for any weight difference.

The only problem is it just might bounce you out of your budget.
Old 08-12-19, 12:13 PM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Bikes: Propel, red is faster

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 1575 Post(s)
Liked 1,569 Times in 974 Posts
I'd say Ebay and Craigslist like a madman (madwoman).

I'd say aero and initial frame weight and stiffness you can't really "soup up". If you're starting with a turd of a frame, the rest of the kit will be lipstick on a pig.

IMHO, I think more people need to learn carbon repair and buy up crashed frames if you want superbike on a budget. If it's a chainstay or top tube, it's about as easy as auto body repair. Just takes time and patience.

It's pretty cheap for the materials for a modest repair, like $50.

You can probably score a frame that was nearly $10k new with a few years use and carbon damage for like $500. Or less.

Also, people seem willing to buy name-brand decade old frames (bikes) with unknown wear/tear/damage to them but totally snub their nose at a Deng Fu or "Chinarello" frameset.
Old 08-12-19, 12:34 PM
firebird854

Bikes: 2016 Specialized Tarmac Expert

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 258 Post(s)
Liked 114 Times in 62 Posts
Meh, an old frame with 105, value wheels, bar and stem, doesn't scream "superbike" to me (I know that's what they called in the GCN video, but really?) throw some SRAM AXS, ZIP 404s, and some ENVE on there and that'd be something "super".
Old 08-12-19, 12:53 PM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20808 Post(s)
Liked 9,450 Times in 4,668 Posts
105 in 2007 should put you at 5600 - a really nice-shifting 10-speed group. Going to 7000 would get you cables routed under your tape, somewhat better front shifting, somewhat better brakes and an extra cog. Is that worth it for a newly-bought, 12-year-old bike? Not in my book.

In general, buying a bike of this vintage with the intent of sinking money in to it just doesn't make sense to me. If you already have the thing sitting around and what to spiff it up just because... well, okay, I guess, but I'd rather cruise the LBSs and see if I can find a closeout Allez or something for around $1k.
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 08-12-19, 12:59 PM
rosefarts
With a mighty wind

Quoted: 1086 Post(s)
Liked 858 Times in 487 Posts
If I was going to build a bike from scratch, there is no question that I'd use a Chinese carbon fiber one from eBay. T800-1000, brand new, and with most of the attributes of something worth 5x as much.
Old 08-12-19, 01:15 PM
ridelikeaturtle

Bikes: Bianchi Ti Megatube; Colnago Competition; Planet-X EC-130E; Klein Pulse; Amp Research B4; Litespeed Catalyst; Trek Y11

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 596 Post(s)
Liked 478 Times in 258 Posts
Originally Posted by rosefarts
If I was going to build a bike from scratch, there is no question that I'd use a Chinese carbon fiber one from eBay. T800-1000, brand new, and with most of the attributes of something worth 5x as much.
I've been looking at this lately, only briefly, but it seems there's little-to-no savings to be had from buying a Chinese frame off AliExpress or Ebay.

Compare it to buying a carbon bike from Planet X (the "Pro Carbon Evo", for example), and you're spending more money doing it yourself. Not only would you be spending less getting a complete bike from Planet X, but you'd have some level of assurance with regards to quality control.

I'm not saying the frame you'd get off Ebay or AliExpress isn't just fine - in fact I think they're probably great, may even be exactly the same! - but the reality is they're not cheaper than would be available elsewhere, and there is a level of risk (that is accepted up front of course) in the case of making any warranty claim.
Old 08-12-19, 03:31 PM
velojym

Bikes: Konas: Jake the Snake-Fire Mountain-Zing Supreme, Dew Deluxe,Zone Ltd. (frame, needs parts), Surly Long Haul Trucker, Santana Arriva tandem, Montagues: Paratrooper-Fit, Trek 1200, Bianchi Ocelot, Fantom Cross Uno, Bridgestone 200

Originally Posted by mtarrant05
Nice!! Mind me asking how much that frame set you back?

I'm with you. My riding is light and I don't need to get to far in here. That said, these little projects are very cathartic for me.

As for the paint, have you checked out Spray.Bike? Seems interesting and fairly straight forward. That said, I don't mind the style of your 1200. Looks good.
Bout a hundred. So, not a *screaming* deal, but still ok for me. Fortunately, though the GCN guys had different ideas, I'm not after a "super" bike, just a good solid mount for club and event rides.
Old 08-12-19, 03:46 PM
Plainsman

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked 40 Times in 30 Posts
You can get a new aluminum frame with carbon fork (brand x) from Chain Reaction for about $150
Old 08-12-19, 03:59 PM
rosefarts
With a mighty wind

Quoted: 1086 Post(s)
Liked 858 Times in 487 Posts
Does it end up cheaper than a new bike with 105. I've built a lot of bikes from scratch to get what I wanted. I don't think I ever saved money unless it was because I already had me at of the parts.
Likes For rosefarts:
Old 08-12-19, 05:34 PM
audiomagnate

Location: Omaha, the most bike unfriendly city in the Midwest!

Bikes: Cannondale Six 5, 89 Trek race bike

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 19 Posts
Originally Posted by firebird854
Meh, an old frame with 105, value wheels, bar and stem, doesn't scream "superbike" to me (I know that's what they called in the GCN video, but really?) throw some SRAM AXS, ZIP 404s, and some ENVE on there and that'd be something "super".
But it would look goofy. I saw the episode but I think it was more of a thought experiment brought to life than something that you'd actually want to do, but if you're having fun, who cares?
Old 08-12-19, 05:52 PM
velojym

Originally Posted by Plainsman
You can get a new aluminum frame with carbon fork (brand x) from Chain Reaction for about $150
If only they had one in my size.
Old 08-13-19, 04:16 AM
Plainsman

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked 40 Times in 30 Posts
Originally Posted by velojym
If only they had one in my size.
what size frame did you say you were looking for?
Old 08-13-19, 05:40 AM
Phil_gretz
Zip tie Karen

Bikes: '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked 1,542 Times in 806 Posts
Why not buy a carbon frame from China?
Old 08-13-19, 06:03 AM
horatio 
Hump, what hump?

Bikes: See signature

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 337 Post(s)
Liked 227 Times in 145 Posts
Originally Posted by audiomagnate
But it would look goofy. I saw the episode but I think it was more of a thought experiment brought to life than something that you'd actually want to do, but if you're having fun, who cares?
Have you checked out the "retro roadies" thread in C&V? Upgrading is more popular than you might think.

https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...i-s-ergos.html
2010 AB T1X ** 2010 Cannondale SIX-5 ** 1993 Cannondale RS900 ** 1988 Bottecchia Team Record ** 1989 Bianchi Brava ** 1988 Nishiki Olympic ** 1987 Centurion Ironman Expert(2) ** 1985 DeRosa Professional SLX ** 1982 Colnago Super ** 1982 Basso Gap ** 198? Ciocc Competition SL ** 19?? Roberts Audax ** 198? Brian Rourke ** 1982 Mercian Olympic ** 1970 Raleigh Professional MK I ** 1952 Raleigh Sports

Old 08-13-19, 06:05 AM
Kimmo 
bike whisperer

Bikes: https://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=152015&p=1404231

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1523 Post(s)
Liked 716 Times in 508 Posts
IMO there's not much performance to be gained with a new groupset unless it's electronic. Better off dumping the money into wheels, and waiting a bit for some second hand Di2.
Old 08-13-19, 06:28 AM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
Thank you for summarizing the video.

By this measure, I guess my 2002 Fuji with 105 group, Dura Ace wheels and carbon bar is a superbike. That's good to know for when I sell it on craigslist.

-Tim-
Likes For TimothyH:
Old 08-13-19, 11:10 AM
velojym

Originally Posted by Plainsman
what size frame did you say you were looking for?
Not looking. Already got. It's a 63
Old 08-14-19, 01:07 AM
Leinster

Bikes: MBK Super Mirage 1991, CAAD10, Yuba Mundo Lux, and a Cannondale Criterium Single Speed

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Liked 297 Times in 207 Posts
Originally Posted by TimothyH
Thank you for summarizing the video.

By this measure, I guess my 2002 Fuji with 105 group, Dura Ace wheels and carbon bar is a superbike. That's good to know for when I sell it on craigslist.

-Tim-
I think you both missed the “On A Budget” part of the video title. The purpose of the build was always to get maximum bang for minimum buck. AXS and Dura Ace are not budget choices. It is, as pointed out above, a “thought experiment” but for someone putting together a build, it’s a decent jumping-off point.

I like the idea of taking an old frame and putting modern parts on. As said above in a couple places, a vintage steel frame with 753 or Columbus SL would be a more fun project than an early 00’s Trek, but each to their own.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.