Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Tallahassee, FL area rides

Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Old 08-06-19, 09:07 AM
WaveyGravey

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Liked 115 Times in 80 Posts

Can anyone recommend a good ride in the Tallahassee, FL. area? Or a reference source that may have some good info. Thanks
Old 08-06-19, 09:43 AM
staehpj1

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1250 Post(s)
Liked 753 Times in 560 Posts
What kind of ride are you looking for?
Old 08-06-19, 12:00 PM
WaveyGravey

My son just started school at FSU. I may go visit around Labor Day. Thought there may be an easy to moderate ride of about 25 to 50 miles for road bikes. Traffic safety is of my utmost concern.

I'm not familiar with Tallahassee. But I'm thinking maybe some roads on the outskirts of town. We're open to any advice or recommendations. Thanks!
Old 08-06-19, 02:27 PM
staehpj1

Originally Posted by WaveyGravey
My son just started school at FSU. I may go visit around Labor Day. Thought there may be an easy to moderate ride of about 25 to 50 miles for road bikes. Traffic safety is of my utmost concern.

I'm not familiar with Tallahassee. But I'm thinking maybe some roads on the outskirts of town. We're open to any advice or recommendations. Thanks!
Lots of nice roads to the south of town. Fairly rural, moderate traffic, but usually no shoulder. It tends to be hilly for Florida.

One popular ride is the St Mark's trail. I think it is about 30 miles down and back. There is a nice lunch stop on the water. It is flat, paved, shaded, and free of cars. They recently added a spur, but I have not explored that.
Old 08-06-19, 03:12 PM
staehpj1

I should have added that you could ride to the St Marks trail to add some miles if you want. The food is good at the Riverside Cafe. I think there is a St Marks Extension to the campus, but I don't think it is all paved, not sure though.
Google the trail and the extension for more info (maybe the spur too).
Old 08-06-19, 06:02 PM
257 roberts

Bikes: 2008 Trek Police bike 2019 Jamis Coda Sport 2021 Surly Bridgeclub

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 924 Times in 304 Posts
There's also the 4 Freedom trail in Madison if you don't mind the drive
Old 08-13-19, 06:37 PM
Bassmanbob

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale Supersix EVO 3, 2015 Trek 520, 2017 Bike Friday Pocket Rocket, 2022 Moots Vamoots Disc RSL

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 285 Post(s)
Liked 267 Times in 140 Posts
Go Noles! My daughter is an FSU grad and continued to live there for three years after graduating. I've ridden there a few times, but I don't know it well enough to recommend routes. If you are from south Florida, this will be a great opportunity to ride hills. Many of the back roads are fine for cycling. Tallahassee seems to me like a safer place to ride compared to south Florida, with all of the old folks who should be off the road. Once again, it is my limited experience that says that.

Don't forget to go to Bada Bean for breakfast and Wells Brothers for great and inventive burgers for lunch!
Old 08-14-19, 06:32 AM
staehpj1

Originally Posted by Bassmanbob
If you are from south Florida, this will be a great opportunity to ride hills. Many of the back roads are fine for cycling. Tallahassee seems to me like a safer place to ride compared to south Florida, with all of the old folks who should be off the road.
Yes moderate hills here. Rolling hills, sometimes steeper and longer than you'd expect in Florida. Safer is a relative thing. I consider the roads here pretty good. Drivers aren't too bad, it helps that they are used to seeing cyclists. On the other hand most of the nice rural roads do not have shoulders. I am fine with that but it may be an issue for some. I hesitate to recommend specific routes to strangers because my traffic tolerances are too often different that the person who asks.

YMMV, but I find the following pleasant:
For a 40 mile ride, we have sometimes gone out Buck Lake Rd (you could park and start somewhere near Costco), right on Baum Rd, right on Wadesboro Rd, left on Jefferson Rd, right on Mahan Rd, right on Gamble Rd, right on White House Rd, left on Capitola, left on Chaires Cross Rd, right on Old St Augustine Rd, right on Blairstone Rd, and right on Mahan Rd back to Buck Lake Rd. This is a pretty ride on mostly rural roads with a briefly busy section here and there. Lots of rolling hills, canopy roads, and so on. There are a few places to stop and get a cold drink or a snack. It is pretty easy to extend or shorten the loop, this is just one variation, we generally do distances ranging from 18-50 miles there. Traffic on the loops varies from very light for a lot of it to moderate for some sections with a bit of busier road. You probably could work out loops that avoid the busiest part but I never tried since I start at my house and that negates that option.

Definitely pre-map it to check me on transcription errors (I am notorious for not knowing my left from my right ) and maybe pre drive it or at least check it out via google street view if you have the time.

Things are busier when the state legislature or university are doing something that brings in traffic. Football weekends may be the worst, but if you ride during the game traffic can be light.
Old 08-14-19, 08:59 AM
WaveyGravey

Thanks for all this great info!!
Old 02-15-20, 03:48 PM
WaveyGravey

Rode St Mark's Trail today. Fun ride. Very flat and easy. Nice treat to have lunch at Riverside Café. On the water. Will do it again next time I'm in town
Old 02-16-20, 04:50 AM
staehpj1

Glad you enjoyed it. For an easy laid back ride the St Marks trail is hard to beat and lunch at the Riverside Cafe is always nice.