Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

My new Bianchi Pista

Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

My new Bianchi Pista

Old 08-20-19, 05:55 PM
Loose Chain

Bikes: 84 Pinarello Trevisio, 86 Guerciotti SLX, 96 Specialized Stumpjumper, 2010 Surly Cross Check, 88 Centurion Prestige, 73 Raleigh Sports, GT Force, Bridgestone MB4

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 278 Post(s)
Liked 71 Times in 56 Posts
My new Bianchi Pista

I just purchased a Pista Chrome, very good price so I could not turn it down. New to SS but love the Pista and really impressed with it. I have quite a few bicycles but my first of this kind. It is what I would call a 56cm frame, based on the C/C top tube and it has the track type (Pista) drop bar. But, one thing, I notice the stem is 120mm long. Most of my bicycles that I have owned through the years of this similar size are equipped with a 100mm stem. It seems awfully long and I was wondering why such a long stem on a medium size bicycle. Then I realized, well, it has no hoods. I usually ride, most of the time, on the hoods, as do many on drop bar bicycles. And it occurred to me that the lack of hoods is made up for by the extra length of the stem placing the inside curve of the bars close to the same position as would be my hands on the hoods (though a bit lower).

That aside, I have ordered new Mavic Open rims, a new alloy headset, Cinelli alloy Pista bars (it has steel bars!), a Velo Orange 100mm stem (with shim), Conti GP tires and lightweight tubes. These things will make a nice dent in the weight budget. Trying to decide what pedals I want for it now. I think I can get this bike down around 18 pounds.

Things I notice about the Pista are the high bottom bracket, steep seat tube and somewhat slightly more relaxed head tube angle. And the main tubes are double butted ChroMo and are hydro-formed. The bike is stiff and the frame is super straight and the bicycle is very responsive. I have seen and ridden the Kilo TT and no cut on the Kilo, I like the Pista little better. I was planning to purchase a Kilo when the Pista popped up on a back rack in a bike store I stopped into. I rode it around on a test and decided I liked it at least as well, actually better.

Last edited by Loose Chain; 08-21-19 at 06:05 PM.
Old 08-21-19, 11:00 AM
REDMASTA

Bikes: Bare Rum Sword Knuckle Runner

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Liked 122 Times in 64 Posts
good lookin bike
Old 08-21-19, 06:34 PM
Loose Chain

Bikes: 84 Pinarello Trevisio, 86 Guerciotti SLX, 96 Specialized Stumpjumper, 2010 Surly Cross Check, 88 Centurion Prestige, 73 Raleigh Sports, GT Force, Bridgestone MB4

Thanks, like I said, I ordered some things for it to "modify" it and serve my OCD. But the long stem bugs me, if it has purpose to the species, I would leave it and put the new100mm stem I just ordered for it from VO for another project (my wife just explained to me that this NEW bike is NOT a project!). But I am going to have to change the rims out, I know these are sorta heavy and I like MavicOpens, silver or black is the question?

Does anyone know of fake bar hoods that are not goofy amputated looking things? Or should I just install some brand new Shimano aero brakes and hoods I have NIB and install the 100mm stem?

I run a 75.5 to 76cm center bracket to seat crown saddle height on all of my bikes, all of them. This one is sitting a little low yet, maybe 75cm so it will need to go up a touch, also need to work on the saddle fore and aft setting a bit too to get dialed in.

I do not know a lot about track type bikes, are 36 spoke wheels the standard issue? I am 5-10 and 156 pounds, I doubt I could tear 36 spoke wheels up but maybe in velodrome racing these things get hammered hard?

An old friend I just recently got back on the road after several decades of dust collecting. It has Mavic Opens in silver, I wonder if the Pista would prefer the black?:

Last edited by Loose Chain; 08-21-19 at 06:50 PM.
Old 08-21-19, 07:43 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
My Pista and I vote for silver...

-Tim-
Likes For TimothyH:
Old 08-21-19, 09:11 PM
Loose Chain

Nice bike. I see you changed the bars and saddle and added hooded road brakes. You kept the long stem it seems. What else have you done? Are those the stock rims? You did radial spoking on the front, I am considering that.

Just out of curiosity, what is your height and cycling inseam if you know and what size frame is that?

Thanks for the pic!
Old 08-22-19, 06:30 AM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Originally Posted by Loose Chain
Nice bike. I see you changed the bars and saddle and added hooded road brakes. You kept the long stem it seems. What else have you done? Are those the stock rims? You did radial spoking on the front, I am considering that.

Just out of curiosity, what is your height and cycling inseam if you know and what size frame is that?

Thanks for the pic!
I'm 5'10" with a 33 inch inseam. It is a size 55.

Everything has been changed - the world's most expensive Bianchi Pista.

All the details are at https://www.pedalroom.com/bike/2015-...a-chrome-25191.

Good luck with yours.
Old 08-22-19, 11:59 AM
seau grateau

Bikes: Litespeed Catalyst, IRO Rob Roy, All City Big Block

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1332 Post(s)
Liked 398 Times in 194 Posts
The 120mm stem could be on there for any number of reasons (aesthetics, absence of hoods, previous owner had long arms, etc.). Use the stem that puts the bars where you want/need them.
Old 08-22-19, 06:35 PM
Loose Chain

Originally Posted by seau grateau
The 120mm stem could be on there for any number of reasons (aesthetics, absence of hoods, previous owner had long arms, etc.). Use the stem that puts the bars where you want/need them.
Yes, I understand, and one point, the bicycle is new so therefore it had no PO. I was just wondering if the stem is seemingly long as compared to my road bikes due to there being no hoods. That was all. My VO 100mm stem came today, thanks VO, super fast I must say!!!!!!. Now waiting on my new alloy Cinelli "65" bars. These things should help the bar position and reduce the weight of the (I am told) heavy steel track bar's contribution to my slightly heavy Pista. My goal is 18ish pounds.

TimothyH, thank you. I appreciate your link, a worthy goal for me to match, lol. I would have guessed you around 5-9 just looking at the bike, your post above says 5-10 and your linked page says you are 5-8! No worries, you seem to like a very aggressive set up, I did too when I was younger, but nowadays I have started to go more to the larger side of my fit range to reduce the saddle to bar drop a little. My bike measures out (by my method) to be a 56cm but the Bianchi decal I removed says 57cm so they measured seat tube C/T, I use C/C and TT length C/C. No matter, I was just curious as bike fit is an area of interest to me from my competitive years. Oh, me? I am 5-10 and a skosh and shrinking, I have a cycling inseam of 86cm (33.8 inches). Long legs, long arms, slightly short torso and a touch of scoliosis. I like your set up, I will try to come close and have the second most expensive Bianchi Pista .

The saddle on this things is super comfy, I think I will keep it even if it is a bit heavy.
Old 08-22-19, 09:33 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

IIRC, depending on year, the larger size Pistas had longer stems. I seem to recall that the stem on mine now is shorter than stock. I think I gave the stock stem to @bonsai171

Bianchi changed the geometry over the years. It used to be a track bike but somewhere around 2009 they relaxed everything.

I hesitated to post mine and don't mean to steal your thunder. Mine is not a goal to match but just a bike. Please enjoy yours for many miles.

Mine is actually too aggressive and gives me numb hands when I ride it for more than 1 hour.

Yes, saddle to bar drop is interesting. My custom has only 16 mm saddle to bar drop.

Yeah, I think the silver is cool in today's world where everything is flat black. People ask me about the bike whenever I ride it.

Where are you located?

-Tim-
Likes For TimothyH:
Old 08-22-19, 10:16 PM
Loose Chain

No, I am happy that you did post yours. Thank you for the information. I am in Wichita, I purchased the bike in Mandeville, La. while visiting my parents. The Trace MUP is an excellent ride, though I had my Bridgestone MB4 with me, I wandered into a local shop just for a look see and a Cateye for the MB4 and the Pista caught my eye. I know these are not high end machines but they are at least as nice or nicer than the Kilo TT I was about to order.

People obsess over weight, me included but at 5-10, under 10% BF and barely 156 pounds soaking wet, the only place I need to loose weight is on my bikes and I am not sure that I have ever owned anything that I did not "modify" and this including the Pista! For future fitting purposes, my barefoot cycling inseam is 33.8 inches, 86cm. I have long legs and arms and a slightly shorter torso so I am easy to fit a range of size.

I got the new VO 100mm stem on, like that better for sure, waiting on my Cinelli 65 bars. Those two things alone will dent the weight, plus I have a spare set of Conti GP4000 and light racing tubes. I will hold those until I get some Mavic Open rims laced up. At that point, based on previous builds, I should be below 20 pounds, probably around 19.5. To get to your 18ish I will need hubs and saddle and some other things, might not try to unseat your most expensive Pista, .

Believe it or not, stripped of the farkles, this is an 18 pounds bicycle right here and if bicycles can be fast, it is FAST. I rescued the perfect frame from a dumpster, stripped. I was clear coated and green mold under the clear coat, ugly as sin, now removed, the 6061 is polished and waxed with carnauba and it shines like chrome:

Some years ago, Walmart had those Bell genuine carbon fiber water bottle cages for $4.95. I bought a dozen of them, every one I could find. Shortly after, they completely disappeared only to reappear, identical save for branding, in bike shops for exactly 10 times $4.95. They weigh nothing.

Last edited by Loose Chain; 09-03-19 at 09:17 PM. Reason: more info and typo
Old 08-23-19, 07:52 AM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Originally Posted by Loose Chain
waxed with carnauba and it shines like chrome:
Try Meguiars Ultimate, or if you really want to obsess, some Wolfgang's sealant and then wax.

I like your wall art.

-Tim-
Likes For TimothyH:
Old 08-28-19, 06:56 AM
TugaDude

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 586 Post(s)
Liked 612 Times in 447 Posts
I had a chrome pista like yours but sadly it was too big. It was listed as a 57cm but I swear it rode like a 60. I would buy another one in a heartbeat if I could get a deal on it like I did the first time around.

Glad you are loving yours. You mentioned "fake" hoods and the fact that many look janky. I agree. I did see some knobs that served the same purpose that might work for you. Unfortunately I couldn't find a picture. They basically attach where you would rest your hands and clamp around the bar. They can be purchased in a color to coordinate with your bar wrap. I thought Velo Orange had them but couldn't find them on their site.

Last edited by TugaDude; 08-28-19 at 07:34 AM. Reason: added pic
Old 08-28-19, 07:37 PM
Loose Chain

Originally Posted by TugaDude
I had a chrome pista like yours but sadly it was too big. It was listed as a 57cm but I swear it rode like a 60. I would buy another one in a heartbeat if I could get a deal on it like I did the first time around.

Glad you are loving yours. You mentioned "fake" hoods and the fact that many look janky. I agree. I did see some knobs that served the same purpose that might work for you. Unfortunately I couldn't find a picture. They basically attach where you would rest your hands and clamp around the bar. They can be purchased in a color to coordinate with your bar wrap. I thought Velo Orange had them but couldn't find them on their site.

Yeah, those are what I had in mind for sure.

Yes, I think the reason the Pista and other track type bikes I have ridden seem to ride large (for their size) despite the aggressive geometry is the long stems. I removed the 120mm stem and installed the VO 100mm stem (a nicer, lighter stem) and the "large"ness has disappeared entirely, it feels super quick but not twitchy now.
Old 09-02-19, 11:50 AM
vailskier3

Bikes: 2011 GT Series 2 SRAM Apex, 1980's Bianchi Rekord 841, 1954 Schwinn Twinn

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
good lookin PISTA. i'd love to have one of those.
Old 09-02-19, 02:51 PM
Loose Chain

Took the Pista out for it's first real run. Just about 25 miles. The Pista is taught and lively feeling but is also not twitchy, a very taut frame. I was able to ride hands off with no problem. Only very, very minor toe overlap if at all. I was able to ride the 48/16 but had a light wind behind me on Kansas rolling terrain. If I had been going against the wind, I would need an 18 (ordered) or 20. So a compromise is in order, I was spinning out at every downhill but if I have to do a two-way instead of today's one way I would have to go to the 18.

If bikes can be described as fast, the Pista is fast, quiet, smooth and the stock saddle is great. I have Shimano RD560 SL pedals installed. Tomorrow I should get new Michelin tires, latex tubes and some Dia-Compe hand rests. The new installed VO 100mm stem and Cinelli track bars are just right but I will need the knobs to give my hands a resting place since I am accustomed to riding the hoods and the overall set up is similar to my road bikes. Dang this thing has a high bottom bracket which makes the bicycle look bigger than it is. My Surly Cross Check has a high BB but not this high! The Surly, they also pushed the top tube down justifying the cycle cross roots of the bike for significant standover, the Pista on the other hand rides tall and proud!

Anyone suggest a place to carry a water bottle?

J
Old 09-02-19, 05:35 PM
diff

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
I had 48/16 on my langster. That would be tough on a steel bike. I ride 48/19 on that one, 48/18 would be decent too. 48/20 maybe a bit too light.

Wanted to mention about those VO stems. I cracked the faceplate on 2. You probably won't have any issues on a bike with drops and brakes, but they are pretty crappy stems. I would be scared a 120mm would crack in half due to the leverage and length. The 2 I cracked were 90mm.
Old 09-02-19, 07:54 PM
Loose Chain

Thanks, I will explore for a better 100mm stem. Thought VO was decent stuff. Silver is hard to find what with everyone riding a matte black carbon fiber CanTre-alize with all black everything. Not sure if Henry Ford or Johnny Cash is picking the color schemes for new bicycles but seems to be an over abundance of black.

I past a fellow going the other direction and he nearly snapped his neck and almost crashed trying to seem the Pista, he on a black CanTre-alize of some sort. I try to be a Brontrager free zone, lol.

Last edited by Loose Chain; 09-02-19 at 07:58 PM.
Old 09-03-19, 10:49 AM
ceelint
^that guy^

Bikes: '17 Wabi Classic, '17 Trek DS3, '12 S-Works Tarmac SL

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked 137 Times in 51 Posts
Don't hamfist the tiny faceplate bolts on and you shouldn't have any issues with cracking. Tighten just enough so the bar doesn't move
Old 09-03-19, 09:31 PM
Loose Chain

My bare weight is now 20.5 pounds. The Dia-Compe drop bar hand rests came in, as pictured earlier in the thread. Not installed yet but included in the weight. The part number is DC138/BK for anyone looking. I think they are used often on tandem bicycles. They are good quality and not much extra weight. I may wait until I have to re-wrap my bars to install. The Michelin Lithion 2 folding bead tires are nice, I use them on several bikes, and they are inexpensive. I usually get the 220 gm 23 size but these are the 235 gm 25mm. Much lighter than the wire beaded clunkers that were OEM. I reused the tubes and did not install my racing lightweight tubes as the installed tubes were not especially heavy as I thought they would be so might as well get some use from them. From here it could get expensive to reduce weight, new wheels/hubs in due course will come. I think 19 pounds bare is possible with a few more tweaks including a wheel set. A carbon fork, different saddle and seat post and a higher end crank set with hollow spindle would be needed to get to 18 give or take.

Thanks ceelint, I always use a torque wrench, I am actually an A&P mechanic. I doubt the stem clamp will break but I will keep an eye on it.

Last edited by Loose Chain; 09-03-19 at 09:35 PM.
Old 09-04-19, 06:09 AM
IAmSam

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 399 Post(s)
Liked 273 Times in 136 Posts
Hope you won't take this the wrong way - but considering that you are running your bike SS with brakes...why in the world would an experienced bicyclist keep those interrupter levers on his handlebar and then compound the misery with those goofy stubs?

Did you not pay good attention to TimothyH's "World's most expensive Pista?" Whatever anyone thinks about throwing lotsa money at a pretty basic frame (and it looks like you may be well on your way in that endeavor) - he did his brake lever set-up...right.

Good luck...
Old 09-04-19, 06:42 AM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

IIRC the interruptor levers comes on the bike stock.

Being a pseudo tarck bike but knowing that most people ride them on the street, and given that the bike comes with a freewheel, my guess is that Bianchi puts them on as much for legal liability as they do for actual functionality.

Trying to remember but I think my cable housing were white.

-Tim-
Old 09-04-19, 08:53 AM
seau grateau

Bikes: Litespeed Catalyst, IRO Rob Roy, All City Big Block

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1332 Post(s)
Liked 398 Times in 194 Posts
Originally Posted by iamsam
hope you won't take this the wrong way - but considering that you are running your bike ss with brakes...why in the world would an experienced bicyclist keep those interrupter levers on his handlebar and then compound the misery with those goofy stubs?

Did you not pay good attention to timothyh's "world's most expensive pista?" whatever anyone thinks about throwing lotsa money at a pretty basic frame (and it looks like you may be well on your way in that endeavor) - he did his brake lever set-up...right.

Good luck...
+1,000,000
Likes For seau grateau:
Old 09-04-19, 05:33 PM
Loose Chain

Originally Posted by IAmSam
Hope you won't take this the wrong way - but considering that you are running your bike SS with brakes...why in the world would an experienced bicyclist keep those interrupter levers on his handlebar and then compound the misery with those goofy stubs?

Did you not pay good attention to TimothyH's "World's most expensive Pista?" Whatever anyone thinks about throwing lotsa money at a pretty basic frame (and it looks like you may be well on your way in that endeavor) - he did his brake lever set-up...right.

Good luck...

Thanks for the input. To answer, first, nothing goes to waste, the removed bars and tires went to my path racer project, the removed 120mm stem went to a MTB conversion to a city bike for my brother who needs the reach. And the plastic test pedals went to a neighbor kids BMX.

Not sure what you mean by basic? I especially like the Pista frame, I like it a lot. I do not care anything for carbon fiber bicycles and aluminum I have nothing against but prefer steel. If by basic you mean not carbon fiber, yeah, I guess. Who makes a titanium track bike frame?

Why did I not yet consider brakes with hoods? Well, because I want to keep the fixie, track bike look and profile and the interrupter brakes are hidden from the side view and work well. I may yet run the bike some as a fixie. I have two sets of Shimano brakes that are NIB vintage plus two more sets NIB Shimano brakes and hoods (non-vintage) looking for a home so I have them if I want them. I just stripped a Centurion Ironman with Shimano components, the poor frame was cracked. The hoods and levers would be perfect. Maybe I will.

I have not installed the Dia-Compe rests because of the reason above, I cannot bring myself to spoil the aesthetic of a clean track bike look. So that remains to be seen if I will install them. Everything I have ever had, I modify in some ways or other and I cannot think of any bicycle I have ever owned I did not switch out rims on. I know what I like in a wheel set and these rims will likely find another home even if I use the hubs to lace another set.

Mostly, I just want to do something a bit different this time around and this bike feels different from my other road bikes, the very high BB is fun and the geometry of this frame just seems to work very well and is different from my other bicycles.

J
Old 09-04-19, 08:36 PM
Loose Chain

I borrowed Timothy's image to just make a comparison of the Pistas just for fun:

We not only have similar tastes in Pistas but garage doors as well, . Mine is as I brought home with that honking long stem and steel bars. More recent here:

J

Last edited by Loose Chain; 09-04-19 at 08:40 PM.
Old 09-05-19, 06:21 AM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Keep in mind that my sw8 fixay has the numb scrotum option.

I really need to pressure wash the driveway.