Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

What say you? New bike: Aero vs. Lightweight

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Old 08-01-19, 08:43 AM
rodey

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts

Hey everyone,

I'm currently in the market for a new bike for various reasons. I don't dislike the bike I have (2014 Cannondale SuperSix Evo 105), but I want to upgrade and have been saving up for awhile. Getting a good new bike instead of spending on new wheels and new groupset just seems to make sense, especially since I'm not too fond of my paint job.

Anyway, I'm torn between whether it makes more sense for me to get a lightweight bike or something more aero. Or does it even matter? I know that GCN has covered the topic and there have been countless of other places that have, as well, but I'd like a little more advice.

I live in Wisconsin. Some of my rides cover parts of the Ironman course we host, which is said to be one of the tougher ones.

More about my rides: I'm trying to get back into top shape, but typically around 30-50 miles. Right now my standard routes are covering about 1000-1500 feet of elevation gain according to Strava, and I typically average around 18-18.3 mph. When I have more time and can get further west, we're talking 1000-3000 feet of elevation gain. Mostly short, steepish hills, with some longer ones out there.

Should also note that I usually ride solo, occasionally in groups. Also sometimes do sportives. I don't race, but like to push myself to go as fast as possible/act like I'm competing.

So, what would you do if you were me: go lightweight or more aero? Does it even matter? I'm currently eyeing either a 2019 Argon 18 Gallium Disc or 2019 Orbea Orca Aero. I'm open to other suggestions, but I'm not overly fond of Trek and Specialized, which are the big sellers around here.

Just looking for input/advice. Thanks in advance!
Old 08-01-19, 09:20 AM
TrojanHorse
SuperGimp

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 147 Post(s)
Quoted: 1106 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 47 Posts
Probably Aero. Fit and comfort trump marketing slogans though.
Old 08-01-19, 09:30 AM
AlmostTrick
Tortoise Wins by a Hare!

Bikes: Wabi Special FG, Raleigh Roper, Nashbar AL-1, Miyata One Hundred, '70 Schwinn Lemonator and More!!

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1549 Post(s)
Liked 941 Times in 504 Posts
After tending to fit/comfort, I wonder if the minute differences in weight and aero would even be noticeable.
Old 08-01-19, 09:36 AM
Marcus_Ti
FLIR Kitten to 0.05C

Bikes: Roadie: Seven Axiom Race Ti w/Chorus 11s. CX/Adventure: Carver Gravel Grinder w/ Di2

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 2349 Post(s)
Liked 406 Times in 254 Posts
Originally Posted by rodey
Hey everyone,

I'm currently in the market for a new bike for various reasons. I don't dislike the bike I have (2014 Cannondale SuperSix Evo 105), but I want to upgrade and have been saving up for awhile. Getting a good new bike instead of spending on new wheels and new groupset just seems to make sense, especially since I'm not too fond of my paint job.

Anyway, I'm torn between whether it makes more sense for me to get a lightweight bike or something more aero. Or does it even matter? I know that GCN has covered the topic and there have been countless of other places that have, as well, but I'd like a little more advice.

I live in Wisconsin. Some of my rides cover parts of the Ironman course we host, which is said to be one of the tougher ones.

More about my rides: I'm trying to get back into top shape, but typically around 30-50 miles. Right now my standard routes are covering about 1000-1500 feet of elevation gain according to Strava, and I typically average around 18-18.3 mph. When I have more time and can get further west, we're talking 1000-3000 feet of elevation gain. Mostly short, steepish hills, with some longer ones out there.

Should also note that I usually ride solo, occasionally in groups. Also sometimes do sportives. I don't race, but like to push myself to go as fast as possible/act like I'm competing.

So, what would you do if you were me: go lightweight or more aero? Does it even matter? I'm currently eyeing either a 2019 Argon 18 Gallium Disc or 2019 Orbea Orca Aero. I'm open to other suggestions, but I'm not overly fond of Trek and Specialized, which are the big sellers around here.

Just looking for input/advice. Thanks in advance!
Unless you're racing...it doesn't really matter.

A new bike or new wheels probably won't make you meaningfully faster....they might get you to ride more, which could make you faster.
Likes For Marcus_Ti:
Old 08-01-19, 09:38 AM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3185 Post(s)
Liked 2,020 Times in 1,158 Posts
I would think a lighter bike would be more noticeable. Especially if it's in the wheels as the effort to get up to speed will be felt.

Aero not so much as you need to be at higher speeds before the sero benefits results in less effort.
Old 08-01-19, 09:44 AM
Wittyname
Some Guy on the Road

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot, Trek Domane

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
The aero bike will almost certainly be the faster one over most of your riding, but only by a few watts. Are you able to test ride the bikes you're considering buying? It's possible you may love one and dislike the other, making it a moot point
Old 08-01-19, 09:51 AM
rodey

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Wittyname
The aero bike will almost certainly be the faster one over most of your riding, but only by a few watts. Are you able to test ride the bikes you're considering buying? It's possible you may love one and dislike the other, making it a moot point
I am, which I will most certainly do. I will say that comfort obviously plays a bit of a role, too, and I'd imagine the lightweight one would be a little bit more comfortable. Just didn't know if there was any inherent benefit to choosing one or the other when it comes to the type of riding I do, especially since the lines are kind of becoming blurred between aero and lightweight.
Old 08-01-19, 10:13 AM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
Why not both aero and light weight?

Why does it have to be one or the other and how light is light?

-Tim-
Likes For TimothyH:
Old 08-01-19, 10:42 AM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,645 Times in 6,054 Posts
If you're averaging 18+ you're allowed an aero frame.

Are you keeping our selling the one you have? Which is another way of asking whether you should get one to fill out your fleet.
Old 08-01-19, 10:50 AM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 128 Post(s)
Quoted: 4743 Post(s)
Liked 3,860 Times in 2,509 Posts
Like other said - fit. All else is far secondary. Next - how fast are you? Until you are riding in the 20 mph range, aero means very little. Over 25 mph it is real. At 30 mph it is huge. Weight counts only on hills and only as a percentage of your entire weight. I weigh 155 pounds. That's 175 pounds even with a super light bike. (Remember - clothes. helmet, shoes, water bottles, tool bag.) 5 pounds saved while riding up a 25% grade will be a 3% advantage. (Since we are talking of a near 15 pound bike, that 5 pounds can only be had at probably a cost of $1/gram = $2300.)

Now, if you race, very light wheels make a very real difference as they take the sting out of the dozens of accelerations you have to make to stay with the group and maintain position. But don't sweat this now. Get the bike, then get some tubular race wheels for race days only.

Again - fit rules. Always.

Ben
Old 08-01-19, 11:10 AM
ldmataya 

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked 43 Times in 28 Posts
Welcome to the forums. I regularly ride the roads you are talking about (Mount Horeb, Blue Mounds, New Glarus, Barneveld, Mineral Point). All modern bikes are light, but a bike that fits and that I am comfortable on, especially going up AND down steep hills, is most important to me. These roads have a lot of chip seal, and after a rain you never know what has washed into some spots, so the bike I mostly use handles very predictably and I make sure it has brake pads that are solid and quiet. If I ever replaced this bike with something modern, I would definitely go with disc brakes. You've probably already noticed how many of these steep downhills end at a stop sign. The bottom of Scherbel Road at Highway 14 is a notorious spot where people regularly misjudge the steepness and lock up or dump their bikes at the bottom.
Old 08-01-19, 11:36 AM
rodey

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by TimothyH
Why not both aero and light weight?

Why does it have to be one or the other and how light is light?

-Tim-

It has to be one or the other because there's no way I'm convincing my fiance-to-be I need two bikes.

The light bike I'm looking at is an Argon 18 Gallium Disc. A medium sized (I'd need an XL) is quoted at 1,341g for frame and fork. The shop I'd be getting it from has it equipped with an Ultegra groupset and Mavic Ksyrium wheels.

Originally Posted by Seattle Forrest
If you're averaging 18+ you're allowed an aero frame.

Are you keeping our selling the one you have? Which is another way of asking whether you should get one to fill out your fleet.

I'd be selling the one I have. Hard for me to currently justify two bikes. Maybe someday.

Originally Posted by 79pmooney
Like other said - fit. All else is far secondary. Next - how fast are you? Until you are riding in the 20 mph range, aero means very little. Over 25 mph it is real. At 30 mph it is huge. Weight counts only on hills and only as a percentage of your entire weight. I weigh 155 pounds. That's 175 pounds even with a super light bike. (Remember - clothes. helmet, shoes, water bottles, tool bag.) 5 pounds saved while riding up a 25% grade will be a 3% advantage. (Since we are talking of a near 15 pound bike, that 5 pounds can only be had at probably a cost of $1/gram = $2300.)

Now, if you race, very light wheels make a very real difference as they take the sting out of the dozens of accelerations you have to make to stay with the group and maintain position. But don't sweat this now. Get the bike, then get some tubular race wheels for race days only.

Again - fit rules. Always.

Ben

I'm averaging 18 mph right now, and at 6'3", 185 pounds, not on the light side due to not really being on a strict nutrition plan and enjoying too much beer.

Originally Posted by ldmataya
Welcome to the forums. I regularly ride the roads you are talking about (Mount Horeb, Blue Mounds, New Glarus, Barneveld, Mineral Point). All modern bikes are light, but a bike that fits and that I am comfortable on, especially going up AND down steep hills, is most important to me. These roads have a lot of chip seal, and after a rain you never know what has washed into some spots, so the bike I mostly use handles very predictably and I make sure it has brake pads that are solid and quiet. If I ever replaced this bike with something modern, I would definitely go with disc brakes. You've probably already noticed how many of these steep downhills end at a stop sign. The bottom of Scherbel Road at Highway 14 is a notorious spot where people regularly misjudge the steepness and lock up or dump their bikes at the bottom.

Yep, those are the roads! Comfort is definitely part of my consideration. I'm pretty comfortable on my current bike, and have never really even thought about getting something aero until recently. I do definitely want to get disc brakes as well. I have rim brakes right now, but I've definitely misjudged on some of the roads around here before.
Old 08-01-19, 11:39 AM
dmanthree

Bikes: Garmin/Tacx Bike Smart

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 646 Post(s)
Liked 289 Times in 191 Posts
Depends where you live. Vermont? Light weight. Florida? Aero.
Likes For dmanthree:
Old 08-01-19, 11:43 AM
colnago62

Quoted: 741 Post(s)
Liked 412 Times in 230 Posts
I have a Domane and a Madone. I can tell the difference between the two when riding. The Domane is about 3 lbs heavier than the Madone.
Old 08-01-19, 01:02 PM
Dean V

Quoted: 1067 Post(s)
Liked 259 Times in 153 Posts
Either bike will be heavier than what you have. Disc brake bikes are bricks unless you spend a lot of money.
What is the weight difference between the 2 bikes you are looking at anyway?
Old 08-01-19, 02:13 PM
rodey

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Dean V
Either bike will be heavier than what you have. Disc brake bikes are bricks unless you spend a lot of money.
What is the weight difference between the 2 bikes you are looking at anyway?
Bike Radar did a review for the Orbea Orca Aero M20 Team, 57cm, full Ultegra and it came in at 17.1 lbs with rim brakes. I can't find weight for the Argon 18 Gallium Disc (non-Pro model) other than frame and fork, which was quoted at 1,341 grams. The one I'm personally looking at comes full Ultegra with Mavic Ksyrium wheels and disc brakes.

My current bike was quoted at 18.34 pounds by Bike Radar.

Old 08-01-19, 02:35 PM
topflightpro

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1851 Post(s)
Liked 675 Times in 427 Posts
Aero trumps weight unless you're spending a lot of time climbing. It doesn't sound like you are doing a lot of climbing, so I say go aero.
Likes For topflightpro:
Old 08-01-19, 02:38 PM
rubiksoval

Bikes: bikes

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 2622 Post(s)
Liked 1,429 Times in 711 Posts
Originally Posted by Steve B.
I would think a lighter bike would be more noticeable. Especially if it's in the wheels as the effort to get up to speed will be felt.

Aero not so much as you need to be at higher speeds before the sero benefits results in less effort.
Completely false. The slower you go, the more overall time savings you get from aero equipment.
Likes For rubiksoval:
Old 08-01-19, 02:39 PM
rubiksoval

Bikes: bikes

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 2622 Post(s)
Liked 1,429 Times in 711 Posts
It has to be one or the other because there's no way I'm convincing my fiance-to-be I need two bikes.
There are aero, light bikes. You don't have to choose between one or the other.

The bike you listed as a "light" bike isn't really that light. That's a half lb heavier than my "light" Chinese frame/fork.
Old 08-01-19, 02:52 PM
rodey

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by rubiksoval
There are aero, light bikes. You don't have to choose between one or the other.

The bike you listed as a "light" bike isn't really that light. That's a half lb heavier than my "light" Chinese frame/fork.
It was on a list of lighter ones I saw within my budget. At $3800, it's in my upper range. I can't spend more than that.
Likes For rodey:
Old 08-01-19, 02:59 PM
RedBullFiXX

Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 33 Posts
I picked up one of these for $3k
It's a good start, can always shave weight with the $'s you're saving
And yes, they are in stock
Canyon Aeroad
Old 08-01-19, 03:35 PM
seau grateau

Bikes: Litespeed Catalyst, IRO Rob Roy, All City Big Block

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1332 Post(s)
Liked 398 Times in 194 Posts
The one you like better.
Likes For seau grateau:
Old 08-01-19, 03:51 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts

The light bike I'm looking at is an Argon 18 Gallium Disc. A medium sized (I'd need an XL) is quoted at 1,341g for frame and fork. The shop I'd be getting it from has it equipped with an Ultegra groupset and Mavic Ksyrium wheels.

I'd ride the crap out of an Argon 18 Gallium. A guy near me has one with Bora wheels and EPS. They would shut down the hot or not thread if he posted it.

My question really is, whether there is an aero bike light enough for you to consider it light. If so, then it is a win/win.

-Tim-
Old 08-01-19, 03:58 PM
horatio 
Hump, what hump?

Bikes: See signature

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 337 Post(s)
Liked 227 Times in 145 Posts
Originally Posted by RedBullFiXX
I picked up one of these for $3k
It's a good start, can always shave weight with the $'s you're saving
And yes, they are in stock
Canyon Aeroad
I've been drooling over those bikes. How do you like yours so far?
2010 AB T1X ** 2010 Cannondale SIX-5 ** 1993 Cannondale RS900 ** 1988 Bottecchia Team Record ** 1989 Bianchi Brava ** 1988 Nishiki Olympic ** 1987 Centurion Ironman Expert(2) ** 1985 DeRosa Professional SLX ** 1982 Colnago Super ** 1982 Basso Gap ** 198? Ciocc Competition SL ** 19?? Roberts Audax ** 198? Brian Rourke ** 1982 Mercian Olympic ** 1970 Raleigh Professional MK I ** 1952 Raleigh Sports

Old 08-01-19, 04:07 PM
RedBullFiXX

Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 33 Posts
I picked up the Movistar edition
Rides smooth, not just for an Aero bike, but compared to any nice bike
The stack is very aggressive, but that's what you want in an Aero bike
Room for 28+ tires
It's pretty badass

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.