Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

How tight?

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-19, 09:54 AM
sirjag

Bikes: Giant Contend SL 1 Disc

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 155 Post(s)
Liked 78 Times in 52 Posts
How tight?

If I have to graps the fork with one hand and use considerable effort to unhinge it that’s way too tight I think ....

Also the forks and the rear part of the frame seem to pull in quite a bit when too tight...it’s an aluminum frame and carbon forks.

There must be a spec for this and I could not locate it in the manual

Can someone tell me what has worked best for them ?
Old 08-01-19, 09:55 AM
sirjag

Bikes: Giant Contend SL 1 Disc

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 155 Post(s)
Liked 78 Times in 52 Posts
Also this forum I have found is an incredible wealth of information and full of lots of helpful people

I appreciate you guys thanks a bunch

jag
Old 08-01-19, 10:33 AM
phughes

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1034 Post(s)
Liked 1,289 Times in 743 Posts
https://www.parktool.com/blog/repair...icle-section-2
Old 08-01-19, 10:35 AM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4792 Post(s)
Liked 3,918 Times in 2,548 Posts
That quick release want to be tight! When you brake hard, that caliper is trying to stop the edge of the disc which is traveling up. Physics and all that - also trying to force the hub down; out of your dropouts. That force, because of leverage, is far higher than your weight; the only thing besides your quick release holding your front wheel in place.

There are two things you can do for both more security and ease of use. 1) Don't line up the lever with your fork. Rotate it a little clockwise so it points to about the saddle. Then you can get all your fingers behind all of the lever. (Feel free to fin e tune the "point" to where works best for you. But keep it pointed roughly back so if it ever gets tangled with anything, it won't open.) And 2) get a better quick release. You see how your QR is aluminum, symmetrical and you can see the two cams on either side of the lever? All bad. The good skewers are steel (well the lever only can be aluminum on a racing quality QR), have just one steel cam inside the head of the skewer, completely out of sight, and the lever comes out the side of the head and takes a right angle turn. These good levers generate far more clamping force with less effort and are far more secure. Common, cheap Shimano QRs are what you want. Any bike shop. (On your bike, the front is the only one that you need. The rear disc brake is in front of the hub, trying to force the hub more solidly up into the dropout. Any old QR will work there.)

Don't worry about the QR squeezing your frame and fork. Both are made to be about a mm wider than the hub to make putting the wheel in easy. That tiny squeeze in, while you can see it, won't hurt anything at all.

Ben
Old 08-01-19, 10:49 AM
AnkleWork

Bikes: old clunker

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 684 Post(s)
Liked 105 Times in 83 Posts
Originally Posted by sirjag
If I have to graps the fork with one hand and use considerable effort to unhinge it that’s way too tight I think ....

Also the forks and the rear part of the frame seem to pull in quite a bit when too tight...it’s an aluminum frame and carbon forks.

There must be a spec for this and I could not locate it in the manual

Can someone tell me what has worked best for them ?
How strong are you?
Old 08-01-19, 11:36 AM
dabac

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 1074 Post(s)
Liked 295 Times in 222 Posts
The traditional guideline is that a quick-release should be closed hard enough to leave an imprint in your palm as you close it. Opening, will be whatever it is.
It is recommended NOT to use a q/r with an open cam - as yours - on disc brake fronts, as braking does create a force that will try to eject the wheel. Internal cam q/r have a greater pinch force for a given amount of hand effort and does a better job of keeping he front wheel secure.
And no, there’s generally nothing like a repeatable, tested torque value.
It wouldn’t be horribly difficult or expensive to create such a q/r, but apparently the current system is considered adequate, flawed as it is.
Old 08-01-19, 01:14 PM
Steelman54 

Bikes: Allegro Model 77, Gitane Team Pro SLX, Waterford R2200

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 38 Posts
I found with a pair of external quick releases they would not stay tight on the front wheel, but to answer your question were incredibly tight to undo. I switched to internal cam QR's and both problems went away.
Old 08-01-19, 01:55 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5223 Post(s)
Liked 3,579 Times in 2,341 Posts
wish it was more descriptive than "Quick release: tighten the axle so that the lever meets resistance at 90° from the frame or fork."

I've found on some old bikes if the QR is pressed too tightly it will affect wheel/hub rolling. but I've read if your hubs are adjusted properly that should happen. it's hard to describe how tight I make mine. in this video he doesn't seem to be straining too hard to lock them down & I guess that how I do it

I like this guy for a lot of stuff & he does a better job showing how firmly to lock it in

Last edited by rumrunn6; 08-01-19 at 01:58 PM.
Old 08-01-19, 08:15 PM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,095 Times in 741 Posts
The second video makes a good point about tightening a QR but his insistence on positioning the flags the way he shows is overdone. Having the flags pointing backwards making them prone to snagging and inadvertently opening is not an issue. I've heard this claim before but never heard of an actual case of it happening.
Old 08-01-19, 09:27 PM
Gresp15C

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1062 Post(s)
Liked 665 Times in 421 Posts
I had a front wheel pull out of the fork on a disk brake bike. The lawyer lips kept the wheel on the bike, fortunately. I can't possibly diagnose whether I had the QR tight enough or some other neglect caused the problem, so I hesitate to generalize about it. Instead, I installed a fairly new internal-cam QR skewer and got it good and tight.

My habit with positioning the QR is to think about whether I'm going to be able to get my fingers under the lever before pushing it home, so I can get it back apart again.