Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

8 sentences or less.

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

8 sentences or less.

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-09, 04:40 AM
Rowan

Mentioned: 125 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1454 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 40 Posts
Yep bobframe is on the right track...

She's a woman, not one of your dogs!
Old 11-10-09, 08:10 AM
cyclist2000

Bikes: Masi, Giant TCR, Eisentraut (retired), Jamis Aurora Elite, Zullo, Cannondale, 84 & 93 Stumpjumpers, Waterford, Tern D8, Bianchi, Gunner Roadie, Serotta, Serotta Duette, was gifted a Diamond Back

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 305 Post(s)
Liked 2,038 Times in 604 Posts
When I tour with friends we are not joined at the hip. if some want a long lunch and I am getting antsy then I ride. we all know the route and where the next camp is and have cell phones if necessary. I find it irritating to not have some quiet time.
Old 11-10-09, 09:19 AM
mtclifford
Ceci n'est pas un vélo.

Bikes: Trek 7.2 FX, Canondale Six Carbon 3

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
In my mind I picture a guy standing over me with a ruler screaming "8 SENTENCES OR LESS!" and then rapping my knuckles when I go to far.....or maybe that is just a flashback from my early schooling.

Either way....seems a little inflexible to me, and my guess is the inflexibility will only get worse when the tour is under way.
Old 11-10-09, 09:36 AM
jamawani 
Hooked on Touring

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 347 Post(s)
Liked 143 Times in 93 Posts
I am reminded of Aunt Julia who lived in Wetumpka, Alabama and was a little bit on the "interesting" side - if you know what I mean - but we'll go into that later because the real story is about how she had a way with words and more words - which we all realize is a gift given to those in the Southern climes - sooo, Aunt Julia would come walking down the sidewalk - (by the way, did I tell you that Aunt Julia really wasn't my aunt - it's just that everybody called her Aunt Julia?) - and my grandmother would just scream that she was going to be trapped all evening while she ran for the kitchen - but sure enough, Gram would answer the front door when the doorbell rang and have tea and cookies and very comfortable chairs at the ready.

So, I guess it depends on how long your sentences are.
Old 11-10-09, 09:49 AM
wolfpack 
Rawwrrrrrrrrr!

Bikes: 2009 Specialized Ruby Sworks SL w/SRAM Red; 2006 Fuji Team RC; 2008 Felt F1x; 1980's Lotus Excelle; Mangusta FG/SS; Rossin (yet to be built up)

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
LOL...depends on how you punctuate that one sentence, eh?
Old 11-10-09, 11:20 AM
LeeG

Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 64 Posts
Originally Posted by cyclist2000
When I tour with friends we are not joined at the hip. if some want a long lunch and I am getting antsy then I ride. we all know the route and where the next camp is and have cell phones if necessary. I find it irritating to not have some quiet time.
Joined at the hip or team time trial is my impression if one person can't handle the other one having time during the day to do what they want.
Old 11-10-09, 12:16 PM
Niles H.
eternalvoyage

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
# 12,931 - The last section of James Joyce's Ulysses, Molly Bloom's soliloquy, consists of two sentences. The first one is 11,281 words long, and the second is 12,931 words long.

# 3,000,000 - Mark Leach’s Marienbad My Love, marketed as the world’s longest published novel in English, features a sentence that contains about 3 million words of the 17 million-word book.

Eight of these would be 24,000,000 words. Blogging at sixty words per minute....

She could set a record for continuous hours spent blogging.

Last edited by Niles H.; 11-10-09 at 12:41 PM.
Old 11-10-09, 12:25 PM
superdex
staring at the mountains

Bikes: Obed GVR, Fairdale Goodship, Salsa Timberjack 29

Quoted: 394 Post(s)
Liked 197 Times in 112 Posts
actually, 8 sentences --or even better, haiku-- would be a great creative technique to encapsulate the experience. Make it something to do on purpose, instead of a 'limit.' I like the idea, but not for your reasons
Old 11-10-09, 12:31 PM
Niles H.
eternalvoyage

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Maybe the issue is something along the lines of 'being on the same page' when touring -- if someone values not spending a lot of time watching TV, for example, and wants to get back in touch with a simpler way of living while on tour (being with nature, with the sky, the sun, fresh air, and a different approach to the hours in a day), then it makes sense to have a partner in touring who shares that approach.

But it seems that the decision to share that approach could be based on volunteerism, free choice and understanding, and actually wanting to share the approach (once the approach is clear), rather than rules or imposed limits that may chafe.
Old 11-11-09, 06:29 AM
wolfpack 
Rawwrrrrrrrrr!

Bikes: 2009 Specialized Ruby Sworks SL w/SRAM Red; 2006 Fuji Team RC; 2008 Felt F1x; 1980's Lotus Excelle; Mangusta FG/SS; Rossin (yet to be built up)

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
yes, i want to keep in touch with family & friends - small family - so giving my Dad a call every now & then to let him know i'm still alive/well would be appreciated no doubt (he doesn't use a computer). friends - i'm really more inclined to go the ole postcard route with them - i thought it was SO cool to get postcards from my Dad from the places he had been while traveling....

it's just a big unknown at this point in planning, how much i would want to blog each day or even if i would feel like it.....but, we've been discussing this and i think we'll be able to reach a mutually satisfying compromise on the amount of time spent keeping (a personal blog) electronically up to date.

btw - Airwick knows that setting or trying to set such limits as "8 sentences" with me, will go over about as well as a snowball in hot places. hmmm, but then again....i love challenges....
Old 11-11-09, 12:58 PM
Airwick
jackrussellsonabicycle

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by jamawani
I am reminded of Aunt Julia who lived in Wetumpka, Alabama and was a little bit on the "interesting" side - if you know what I mean - but we'll go into that later because the real story is about how she had a way with words and more words - which we all realize is a gift given to those in the Southern climes - sooo, Aunt Julia would come walking down the sidewalk - (by the way, did I tell you that Aunt Julia really wasn't my aunt - it's just that everybody called her Aunt Julia?) - and my grandmother would just scream that she was going to be trapped all evening while she ran for the kitchen - but sure enough, Gram would answer the front door when the doorbell rang and have tea and cookies and very comfortable chairs at the ready.

So, I guess it depends on how long your sentences are.
I know better than to tour with you, jamawani.

Originally Posted by spinninwheels
Airwick,

When I did my first tour with someone of the fairer sex (now my SO), I wasn't too concerned with her desire to blog. I was more concerned with the amount of time that I would have available to journal myself. That is why I decided to carry a digital recorder. I could just make entries whenever I chose, and I just wrote everything up after the trip.

Maybe it had to do with us touring in remote regions, or lots of mountain, or just getting to know each other better, but she only used a computer once in ten days IIRC.

The days unfolded as they needed to. And yes, there was stress, but that had more to do with our personality differences. Overall, it was a huge learning experience.
Can't believe she's put up with you this long. Good to see you.....

Last edited by Airwick; 11-11-09 at 01:04 PM.
Old 11-11-09, 01:25 PM
jamawani 
Hooked on Touring

Quoted: 347 Post(s)
Liked 143 Times in 93 Posts
Dear Wolfpack -

(And I'm afraid to ask what you think about Chapel Hill - that loveliest of towns)

I am much more into snail mail than e-mail - even though we are connected thru the intertubes right now. I like getting e-mails, but I like getting cards and postcards even more. There's something about the physicality of a card and seeing the handwriting of your friend or family member - even if you can hardly read it. Yeah, postcards cost and so does postage - but I enjoy sitting down on a park bench and writing a line or two. I don't have to worry about finding a computer or an outlet or making sure my batteries are charged. I can write a card or two in my tent in the evening by flashlight - or in the morning before I am ready to get out of the sleeping bag.

Have you considered an old-fashioned journal? I still keep one. It allows me to write up the day's experiences sitting by the creek. I guess if you have one of them new-fangled mini notebooks, you can take it out by the creek just as easily. But I believe that there is a qualitative difference in putting pen to paper and jiggling a keyboard. Just me and my 2c.

J
Old 11-11-09, 01:39 PM
Airwick
jackrussellsonabicycle

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by jamawani
..... postcards......
precisely
Old 11-11-09, 01:39 PM
wolfpack 
Rawwrrrrrrrrr!

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
J -

Old fashioned journals....yes. When my ex and I used to go hiking/primitive camping for day trips or long weekends, I would take one with me and in the evenings I would write about our day. I love to do that and think that this is what I will end up doing. As I said above, I'm tied to a computer way too much and to be able to get away from it for any length of time would be a good thing. Would there be some withdrawal? Of course there would be, but I think I'd get over it pretty quickly.

Send us your address and maybe I'll drop you a postcard from somewhere while we are touring.

BTW - I'm ABC - Anyone But Carolina.
Old 11-11-09, 01:40 PM
wolfpack 
Rawwrrrrrrrrr!

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
y'all need to read the words i'm typing.....how many times does a woman have to say things? more than once and you're gonna get on my nerves for having to repeat myself. Postcards FTW.
Old 11-12-09, 08:16 AM
lighthorse

Bikes: LeMond Buenos Aires, Trek 7500, Scattante CFR, Burley Hudson

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Airwick,
I can't believe that you actually posted this item. If keeping a journal is an interest for this friend you should be helping her expand her interest, not limit it. Get a life.