Search
Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

flat bars

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-09, 06:11 AM
bnelson

Bikes: lynskey cross 29 er teesdale custom snow bike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
flat bars

any one using flat bars instead of drops?
Old 11-24-09, 10:44 AM
UBUvelo
astrositupataphysicyclist

Bikes: too many now

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i wasn't the last race...good ole drops....just franken-modified another bike which had flats....too wide, so i cut it to about the length of my other drops.....AND added Origin 8 drop ends....after wrapping them, i have a nice compact flat bar w/drops! works well....i still have that flat bar feel ... they actually stil up and out a bit like regular drops but they feel pretty much like i have nubby jutting mtb end bars...but i think it'll be legal!

so yeah, i am using flats...
Old 11-26-09, 11:09 AM
meanwhile

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've ridden hybrids that we basically flat barred crossers off road. For everything that a bike with thin tyres should be asked to do I'd rate drops better - more pedalling leverage, less pressure on the carpal tunnel. Flats are better for jumping - definitely not a great idea on thing tyres - and steep technical descents, where it pays to get behind the saddle. But taking a descent like that isn't a great idea without the traction of 2 inch tyres; for the descents a 35mm tyre should be asked to do I think riding in the drops is fine. Otoh, a flat bat with 35mm tyres is definitely a good enough bike to be fun.
Old 11-26-09, 01:36 PM
acorn_user

Bikes: Dawes Kalahari, Puch Prima Super Sport, Graham Weigh 853

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Sure, one of my team mates is running a flat bar Lemond Poprad. It works fine and it allows him the luxury of using v-brakes.
Old 11-26-09, 01:45 PM
wunderkind
Pro Paper Plane Pilot

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by acorn_user
Sure, one of my team mates is running a flat bar Lemond Poprad. It works fine and it allows him the luxury of using v-brakes.
as opposed to?
Old 11-26-09, 02:02 PM
irideacenturion

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by wunderkind
as opposed to?
Cantilever brakes that 99% of cross bikes use. V-brakes don't work with road levers unless you're using a travel agent.
Old 11-26-09, 07:42 PM
wolfpack 
Rawwrrrrrrrrr!

Bikes: 2009 Specialized Ruby Sworks SL w/SRAM Red; 2006 Fuji Team RC; 2008 Felt F1x; 1980's Lotus Excelle; Mangusta FG/SS; Rossin (yet to be built up)

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
yes. love my bike now. running sram rd & shifters on it now.

Old 11-27-09, 05:19 AM
bnelson

Bikes: lynskey cross 29 er teesdale custom snow bike

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
nice I am going to have to give it a try.Thanks for all the replies
Old 11-27-09, 07:03 AM
Chris_W
Likes to Ride Far

Bikes: road+, gravel, commuter/tourer, tandem, e-cargo, folder

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by irideacenturion
Cantilever brakes that 99% of cross bikes use. V-brakes don't work with road levers unless you're using a travel agent.
V-brakes also work with drop bars, without using travel agents, if you use brake levers designed for the purpose (available from Tektro, Cane Creek, or Dia Compe), and then use bar-end or down-tube shift levers.
Old 11-28-09, 02:17 PM
M_S

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Most people race on integrated shifter/brake levers.
Old 11-28-09, 07:23 PM
wolfpack 
Rawwrrrrrrrrr!

Bikes: 2009 Specialized Ruby Sworks SL w/SRAM Red; 2006 Fuji Team RC; 2008 Felt F1x; 1980's Lotus Excelle; Mangusta FG/SS; Rossin (yet to be built up)

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
i ain't "most people" and, that shimano stuff just didn't fit my small hands, very hard to shift. this setup is 100x better. for me anyways and YMMV.
Old 11-29-09, 05:37 AM
cs1

Bikes: Specialized, Schwinn

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 225 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 22 Posts
Originally Posted by M_S
Most people race on integrated shifter/brake levers.
You mean sheeple. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sheeple Just because everyone else is doing it doesn't mean we all have to.
Old 11-29-09, 05:19 PM
jonestr

Bikes: Neuvation F100, Surly Cross Check, Van Dessel Holeshot

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cs1
You mean sheeple. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sheeple Just because everyone else is doing it doesn't mean we all have to.
There are a lot of good ideas that you dont have to abide by.
Old 11-29-09, 06:00 PM
M_S

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cs1
I've used both styles, thanks. My point is that if one prefers integrated shifter/brake levers, as is often the case in racing (i.e., "most people") then using a long pull road lever is not an option. Nowhere in my post do I criticize your personal equipment choice, I was simply pointing out that your suggestion does little good to most people looking to retrofit their cross bikes with v brakes. You like bar-ends, great. I get it. I like being able to shift and brake fromt he same position when racing, as do most people.
Old 11-30-09, 06:05 AM
meanwhile

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by M_S

Quote Originally Posted by cs1 View Post
I've used both styles, thanks. My point is that if one prefers integrated shifter/brake levers, as is often the case in racing (i.e., "most people") then using a long pull road lever is not an option. Nowhere in my post do I criticize your personal equipment choice, I was simply pointing out that your suggestion does little good to most people looking to retrofit their cross bikes with v brakes. You like bar-ends, great. I get it. I like being able to shift and brake fromt he same position when racing, as do most people.
The "sheeple" word is not a good one - and often seems to be favoured by people who are rather prone to group-think themselves.

Re shifters and hand size in general:
I like bar end shifters personally. But I like Campag brifters more - if Shimano brifters are too small for your hands then Campag shifters are very worth looking at. I don't think there would be a problem with using them with small hands either. If you've not seen one then it may help to know that Tektro single speed brake hoods are very close to being a copy - although the Campag hoods seem to be made of a slightly grippy and more comfortable plastic. So $25 spent on ebay would give you a very good idea whether you'd get on with the Campags.