Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Where'd You Ride Today? (New & Improved)

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Where'd You Ride Today? (New & Improved)

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-10, 08:58 PM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3590 Post(s)
Liked 3,401 Times in 1,935 Posts
Originally Posted by leftthread
John, what are your favorite rides in the Appleton area?
I live on the Southwest side of town, so I generally head toward High Cliff State Park. If I'm short on time or feeling lazy I head north from there toward Kaukauna and then back home. Otherwise I'll head up the hill at High Cliff and go south toward Stockbridge, then east toward Chilton and then back North to the river and back home. There are plenty of nice roads to choose from on top of the escarpment, so where exactly I turn depends on how I'm feeling and how far I want to go.

Otherwise I sometimes go on group rides either from the Chain Reaction shop, with the Fox Valley Wheelmen, or from the Cranked Bike Studio.
Old 03-23-10, 09:10 PM
junkfoodjunkie
@$#!?&!!$

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Went out today with the kids and wife. Stopped at the park for playtime and pizza.

Jake
Old 03-24-10, 06:19 AM
Herbertle

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
hello from spain...

Old 03-24-10, 10:18 AM
bigbossman 
Dolce far niente

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by junkfoodjunkie
Went out today with the kids and wife. Stopped at the park for playtime and pizza.

Park? Playtime? Pizza? Will you be my dad?

Nice pics, and I'm glad to see the weather looking good in your neck of the woods. I'll be in OKC the second weekend of April.

S. J. Perelman
Old 03-24-10, 01:46 PM
junkfoodjunkie
@$#!?&!!$

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Went for one of my usual solo rides around my area today. I was racing against the rain, now I am home and still no rain.

Jake

Last edited by junkfoodjunkie; 03-24-10 at 01:50 PM.
Old 03-24-10, 01:49 PM
junkfoodjunkie
@$#!?&!!$

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bigbossman
Park? Playtime? Pizza? Will you be my dad?

Nice pics, and I'm glad to see the weather looking good in your neck of the woods. I'll be in OKC the second weekend of April.
What brings you to my neck of the woods?
I am about 95 miles North East of OKC. It looks like the weather is starting to shape up here.
Quite a bit of rain in the 7 day forecast, but in the low 70's.

Jake
Old 03-24-10, 03:50 PM
bigbossman 
Dolce far niente

Originally Posted by junkfoodjunkie
What brings you to my neck of the woods?
Turkey season. My best (and childhood) friend moved to OKC many years ago so I go visit him at least once a year, and we go turkey hunting. Usually around Minco ans Shawnee.

Say - you don't have any turkeys running loose that you want to get rid of, do you?

S. J. Perelman

Last edited by bigbossman; 03-24-10 at 04:06 PM.
Old 03-24-10, 04:01 PM
bigbossman 
Dolce far niente

Bikingshearer and I hit the road last Sunday, for a nice 60 mile loop through the hills of Solano county. Could not have asked for better weather, or a better ride.

Mt Diablo, way off in the distance:

Funny thing about geese - they like ShotBlock gel cubes. Go figure:

Tooling though some pretty scenery, enjoying the day:

Trees and stuff:

Downhill hijinks:

S. J. Perelman
Old 03-24-10, 04:31 PM
dudeona3V

Bikes: '69 Raleigh DL-1, '72 Paramount, '75 Eisentraut, '80 A-D Vent Noir II, '82 A-D Inter 10, '83 Motobecane Grand Touring, '83 Stumpjumper, '84 Masi GC, '87 Recherche, '87 Tesch 101, '88 Tesch S-22, '88 Davidson...

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by bigbossman
Nice shot!!!
Old 03-24-10, 08:58 PM
ewmyers

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
After a particularly frustrating day stuck in the office I *had* to get out. I live a mile and a half from the American River Bike Trail here in Sacramento, and have also been dying to get a chance to test out my '84 Gran Turismo after I put a new stem and bar-end silver shifters on it, so off I went. It was a perfect ride, low 70's and sunny, bright spring green grass and new leaves on the trees, wildflowers, and butterflies all over. The wild turkeys were abundant, feathers brilliant in the sun, especially the toms with their tails all open. I watched a hawk catch its dinner about 50 feet away. I rode mostly on pavement, but took a bunch of dirt side trails too, to get down to the water. Lots of friendly bikers, a couple C&V bikes. I passed a 50+ year old jogger in nothing but camo shorts and a survival knife, and later a mom towing a bike trailer with a 2 year old and a basset hound in it, barking as you would expect him too. It was fun ride, and perfectly reset my mood. I think I need to carry a better camera than the cell phone though, this is the only shot that came out halfway decent :-P

Old 03-28-10, 06:39 PM
Shp4man

Bikes: 1989 Schwinn World Sport. 1994 Diamond Back Response Elite MTB. 1964 Schwinn Typhoon. 1974 Bridgestone Sprinter, 2015 Scott Sub 10 Citybike.

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1688 Post(s)
Liked 84 Times in 37 Posts
Rode the 28 miles around the bay again today on the Centurion, with a pretty good headwind on the northbound part of the route. Lots of people out today.

Old 03-28-10, 06:46 PM
khatfull
FBoD Member at Large

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
No pics but took the Cannondale out (only working bike at the moment ) for a 60 mile solo jaunt:

https://www.mapmyride.com/ride/united...26980041587048

I had a WNW wind that was supposed to be 5-10mph but was much closer to 15-20, especially in the country where there was nothing to break it. The north 27 mile leg out was pure horror but the return leg was a ball...several stretches I was able to hold 25-30mph for a mile or two (big tailwind). So that's what it's like to ride in the pro peloton
Old 03-28-10, 07:38 PM
bigbossman 
Dolce far niente

Today, I teamed up with NorCal BF member MarkoPolo to assist him with his birthday ride. We started at the foot of the Santa Cruz Mtns, climbed up and over, enjoyed a long beautiful descent into Capitola on the beach, had a bite to eat at a wonderful bakery, and climbed back up and over to get back to the car.

Along the way we enjoyed stunning weather, shady redwood-lined mountain roads, the beach, and cascading mountain streams. What a day to be out and about - about 5,000' of climbing all told, and 55 or so miles (we had a few to spare).

A few random pics for you to enjoy....

Yin and yang - if you descend, you gotta climb back out:

Redwoods:

Steed of the day:

Mid-morning snack - lemon/blueberry parfait..... Mmmmmmm:

An old trestle:

Capitola pier:

Monterey Penninsula, in the distance:

Cactus:

Hairpin:

One of many small waterfalls:

S. J. Perelman
Old 03-28-10, 07:50 PM
gomango

Mentioned: 74 Post(s)
Quoted: 821 Post(s)
Liked 255 Times in 142 Posts
No time for biking, we are still skiing! Today we skied at Giants Ridge in northern Minnesota. Believe it or not, the conditions were pretty good this morning.

Here's a pic or two of the ever athletic Mrs. Gomango and my eldest son.

Please pardon the quality, as they were taken with the iPhone.

After I skied today, I drove three hours south to our home in the Twin cities and got in a very short ride. 27 miles!

No pics today, but here are a few from a week ago!

Khatfull, you may recognize the locations!
Old 03-28-10, 08:18 PM
JunkYardBike
Dropped

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 17 Posts
About 45 miles yesterday and ~3000 feet of climbing. Temps were a brisk 45 F, a difficult adjustment after last weekend's 70 F temps. Was a gorgeous, sunny day, however, and nice riding along the Rockaway Creek and Lamington/Black River.
Old 03-30-10, 05:52 PM
bigbossman 
Dolce far niente

Originally Posted by gomango

The fork's bent.

S. J. Perelman
Old 03-30-10, 09:26 PM
gomango

It doesn't make any difference when you are riding 4 mph with a coffee cup in your hand.
Old 04-01-10, 08:12 PM
Mansram01

Bikes: '17 Trek Emonda, '16 Yeti ASR5, '14 Cdale F29 '08 Orbea Orca.

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Nice Colnago, Gomango!
Old 04-01-10, 08:30 PM
gomango

Originally Posted by mchacon01
Nice Colnago, Gomango!
Thank you! Fun to ride!!!

I'm pumped though, as I'm going shopping for a new "bike" camera to take along on our rides.

Have a couple of ideas looking back in old posts, but I do like state of the art solutions as well.

Don't have a lot of $$$, so if anyone has a suggestion, I'm all ears.
Old 04-01-10, 09:02 PM
EjustE
sultan of schwinn

Liked 15 Times in 9 Posts
Thank you! Fun to ride!!!

I'm pumped though, as I'm going shopping for a new "bike" camera to take along on our rides.

Have a couple of ideas looking back in old posts, but I do like state of the art solutions as well.

Don't have a lot of $$$, so if anyone has a suggestion, I'm all ears.
Here is the deal:

I am huge SLR believer and a huge Nikon believer and once upon the day I use to make a living snapping shots (and still get some cash for it on the day) but you don't want to carry those with you and have a set of panniers full of lenses, unless you have a particular project in mind. (just saying that to tell you where I am coming from)
Two years ago I kind sold my soul to the devil (forgive me PastorBob) and while preparing for a vacation I got myself a point and shoot (oh horrors) Canon (oh horrors) Elph SD870IS. I really like it and the quality is decent. Pluses: it fits on your pocket and satisfies my requirement to have a wide enough lens (28mm film equivalent) to work for me. I am sure than now they came with better models, but: look for something with a wide enough lens, small enough to carry and ignore the megapixel craze. I got perfect 8x10s printed (and sold) taken with a 3 megapixel camera... I also got one of those ebay thingys for $5 or so (Hong Kong special) that mount on your handlebars and have a tripod mount on the other end, just for this purpose. Haven't tried it yet, but the possibilities and cheapness were too good to ignore...
Old 04-02-10, 07:51 AM
leftthread

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked 213 Times in 105 Posts
First day for shorts! Amazing, since last weekend it was still Patagonia expedition weight undybuns time. On the Centurion Elite RS.

yes, I have to put the crimp another cable end cap on.
Old 04-02-10, 08:02 AM
gomango

Originally Posted by EjustE
Here is the deal:

I am huge SLR believer and a huge Nikon believer and once upon the day I use to make a living snapping shots (and still get some cash for it on the day) but you don't want to carry those with you and have a set of panniers full of lenses, unless you have a particular project in mind. (just saying that to tell you where I am coming from)
Two years ago I kind sold my soul to the devil (forgive me PastorBob) and while preparing for a vacation I got myself a point and shoot (oh horrors) Canon (oh horrors) Elph SD870IS. I really like it and the quality is decent. Pluses: it fits on your pocket and satisfies my requirement to have a wide enough lens (28mm film equivalent) to work for me. I am sure than now they came with better models, but: look for something with a wide enough lens, small enough to carry and ignore the megapixel craze. I got perfect 8x10s printed (and sold) taken with a 3 megapixel camera... I also got one of those ebay thingys for $5 or so (Hong Kong special) that mount on your handlebars and have a tripod mount on the other end, just for this purpose. Haven't tried it yet, but the possibilities and cheapness were too good to ignore...
Hi E,

Thanks for your advice. My wife and I are off to National Camera in an hour with cash in hand!

Precious bike funds. She'll probably use it as well for her birding hobby. Wait, maybe I don't need to use bike funds after all........ I'm always scheming.

Several models in our price range with the features we want.
Old 04-02-10, 01:36 PM
EjustE
sultan of schwinn

Hi E,

Thanks for your advice. My wife and I are off to National Camera in an hour with cash in hand!

Precious bike funds. She'll probably use it as well for her birding hobby. Wait, maybe I don't need to use bike funds after all........ I'm always scheming.

Several models in our price range with the features we want.

Good luck!

Hard to find a camera that can be use for this and birding. For birding, like sports, one needs a humongous telephoto (800mm-1000mm) and image stabilization is a good idea (lotsa $ and weights about as much as your favorite De Rosa )
Old 04-02-10, 05:26 PM
EjustE
sultan of schwinn

Spring break for the boys, off day for me, 80 degrees... everything begged us to go for a 2 hour ride on the Little Lehigh Parkway this afternoon.

Just a couple of C&V bikes: my 11 year old's '68 Rollfast Jet Light (soon to be passed to his 9 year old brother, who is riding a mid 90s Trek BMX) and my mule that is in serious need of a good bath and bar end plugs
Old 04-02-10, 06:19 PM
pastorbobnlnh 
Freewheel Medic

Bikes: Snazzy* Schwinns, Classy Cannondales & a Super Pro Aero Lotus (* Ed.)

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 1453 Post(s)
Liked 2,196 Times in 963 Posts
It was even 70F here in the NH mountains and almost every pile of snow is gone! 20 miles certainly felt good! I'm still enjoying the endorphins!

Thanks for visiting my website: www.freewheelspa.com

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.