Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Introductions
Reload this Page >

The Lone Boone County Commuter

Search
Notices
Introductions Welcome to the BikeForums community! Please introduce yourself to other forum members here.

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-10, 09:57 PM
sadsack

Bikes: mid 80's Schwinn Mirada

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Does anyone ever get cobed across the eyeball on their morning commute? Being the first on the bike path in the morning I always have a spiderweb hair net when I get to work. In this part of farm country it's all about how big and loud your truck is, so when drivers see me biking to work in the morning they pull over and ask if I lost my drivers license. I started riding/commuting the first time this century Mar. 19 on a Schwinn Mirada that was hanging in the garage and that I purchased in '84. I use an iphone app to keep track of my progress, with 220 miles so far. My weekly commute is 101 miles from Caledonia to Capron, IL on the Long Prairie Bike Path. My goal is to park the truck this summer and get in better shape while using commute time. I also have been riding many hours the past (3) weekends with my dog (20 lbs) harnessed in a topeak trolley tote, works great. I'm having fun so far! Why didn't I do this before? The great advise on this forum has helped me prep and equip the bike and myself, so thanks.
Old 04-04-10, 10:02 PM
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1350 Post(s)
Liked 1,246 Times in 624 Posts
Welcome to Bike Forums.
Post some pics of where you ride and your dog.
Nice intro.

Old 04-06-10, 11:12 AM
stiny778

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hey, it's good to hear that your putting up the truck for a more economical commuter. I'm also from Caledonia and parking my car in favor of more economical transport; currently a Raleigh Technium 400 and occasionally my Miyata MX- R. That's a good ride to get back into biking on, just long enough to be a good challenge but flat enough to not scare you out of doing it every day or wear you out too much before work. When I get back from school towards the end of May I might just run into you on the path, I like to ride early too. Do you get on in town, or do you just meet up with the trail elsewhere like I do?
Old 04-07-10, 05:39 AM
NCMTBIKER
Double Rainbow....

Bikes: 2012 Trek/Gary Fisher Wahoo 29r Hardtail

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Welcome to bike forums!!
Old 04-07-10, 03:57 PM
sadsack

Bikes: mid 80's Schwinn Mirada

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
stiny good luck with finals. I get on from the Candlewick Lake access on the golf course/clubhouse maintenance path. The ride in the morning is just the right distance. Yep, I'll prolly see ya out there this summer for sure, I usually stop at the clubhouse for a drink. How 'bout a Fresca!