Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Regional Discussions > Southeast
Reload this Page >

Rider injured in Hit & Run - Clayton, NC area

Search
Notices
Southeast Alabama | Arkansas | Florida | Georgia | Kentucky | Louisiana | Mississippi | North Carolina | South Carolina | Tennessee | Virginia

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-10, 08:34 AM
wolfpack 
Rawwrrrrrrrrr!

Bikes: 2009 Specialized Ruby Sworks SL w/SRAM Red; 2006 Fuji Team RC; 2008 Felt F1x; 1980's Lotus Excelle; Mangusta FG/SS; Rossin (yet to be built up)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

One of the guys I ride with on Tu/Thur, Randall, was in a hit 'n run last night out in the area of Smithfield/Pritchard/Major Slade roads (I know most won't have any idea where I'm talking about, but anyways....) at 6:30pm. The car intentionally buzzed him (he was riding the white line) and after going through a stop sign, the guy revved the motor and intentionally ran into the back of Randall's bike......knocking him forward and in front of the car. The driver then proceeded to try and run over Randall, but only got the back end of the bike.

The car was a Ford Fusion with a magnetic dealer's tag, color light green or greyish-green. The driver is mid 30's, dark hair, clean cut, possibly a salesman at a local dealership. There should be damage to the right front bumper/quarter panel. A witness called the highway patrol and they then called Randall later last night. So, there is a police report. Randall was injured in this incident.

We feel that this person lives somewhere between Pritchard/Major Slade roads to Riverwood/Archer's Lodge area. Or possibly even in Clayton.

Just posting to let people know and maybe someone that reads these forums might live in the area and know the person or have an idea who this could have been. If you know anything or have any information, send me a PM/email.

Y'all be careful out there riding.

wolfie.

Last edited by wolfpack; 08-06-10 at 01:58 PM.
Old 08-06-10, 01:40 PM
Velo Vol 
VFL For Life

Bikes: Velo Volmobile

Mentioned: 780 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28621 Post(s)
Liked 1,858 Times in 1,320 Posts
wolfpack! I haven't seen you here in a while.

Yikes, that's scary. I hope the law punishes the driver.
Old 08-06-10, 03:44 PM
kjc9640
Slo Spoke Jim

Bikes: 1982 Raleigh road bike & love it

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
People like that need to have splinters driven under there finger nails and a few other torturs that I will not print. I hope they catch this guy. Wolfpack keep us up to date on this.

I haven't seen you on here in a while either. I really enjoyed your ride reports. Share some time with us.....
Old 08-06-10, 07:53 PM
wolfpack 
Rawwrrrrrrrrr!

Bikes: 2009 Specialized Ruby Sworks SL w/SRAM Red; 2006 Fuji Team RC; 2008 Felt F1x; 1980's Lotus Excelle; Mangusta FG/SS; Rossin (yet to be built up)

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Thanks Velo Vol & kjc...just decided I needed a break from the online stuff. I still look around, but not all that interested in posting.

Here's a portion of an email I received from my friend Dallas tonight about the incident...

".....the short of it - I staked out Riverwood while Ricky staked out the intersection. Low and behold about the same time/place, a car with a magnetized dealer tag came buy and Ricky followed him right into Riverwood. We have the tag and are trying now to gather info from that. I told Randall all you did and he said to tell you thanks a lot."

Gawd. I hope they farkin nail this guy to the wall.
Old 08-08-10, 04:26 PM
wolfpack 
Rawwrrrrrrrrr!

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
The car has been located at a dealership in N Raleigh. Awaiting Randall's return from the beach to see what happens next. Will keep y'all informed.....
Old 08-10-10, 06:11 AM
Kostritzer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This person should be charged with attempted murder. I cannot even begin to understand the mentality of someone who does this sort of thing. We had an almost identical incident here in Gaston county a few weeks ago. A rider was out doing her thing, and a car buzzed her at high speed then waited up ahead only to come up behind her again and bump the bike with the car. The car was identified and the plate was recorded. The police were notified and after all was said and done, nothing happened to the guy.
Old 08-10-10, 06:25 AM
Scummer
Genetics have failed me

Bikes: Norwid Aaland, Radon Slide 140, Elom 505 Titan, Dahon mju, Pedalforce CX1, Battaglin Power+, Old MTB and lots of spare parts

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Kostritzer
This person should be charged with attempted murder. I cannot even begin to understand the mentality of someone who does this sort of thing. We had an almost identical incident here in Gaston county a few weeks ago. A rider was out doing her thing, and a car buzzed her at high speed then waited up ahead only to come up behind her again and bump the bike with the car. The car was identified and the plate was recorded. The police were notified and after all was said and done, nothing happened to the guy.
Wow... in that case I think I would go hunting on my own and take his/her car apart piece by piece.
Old 08-10-10, 07:02 AM
wolfpack 
Rawwrrrrrrrrr!

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
2 charges: misdomeanor hit 'n run and assault. WTF???? So, it's ok for someone to hit a cyclist from behind, knocking them into the road in front of assault car and then try to run over the cyclist??? I'm so pissed about this.

There was 1 witness, who's story matches Randall's and the driver's story matches NOTHING. This guy doesn't realize that he's got a lot of upset cyclists.......
Old 08-10-10, 07:49 AM
Scummer
Genetics have failed me

Bikes: Norwid Aaland, Radon Slide 140, Elom 505 Titan, Dahon mju, Pedalforce CX1, Battaglin Power+, Old MTB and lots of spare parts

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 6 Posts
As expected..
Old 08-10-10, 08:45 AM
zzOtherlandzz

Bikes: 2011 Rocky Mountain Vertex 29'r, 2007 Trek 1500 -- 2003 Gary Fisher Tassajara -- 2006 Gary Fisher Tassajara Disc (converted to touring bike)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If the driver ruined an expensive bike wouldn't that be enough to at least bump it up to a felony hit and run? I have no clue, was just wondering if that is what determines weather it is a misdemeanor or a felony.
Old 08-10-10, 06:56 PM
NealH

Bikes: S-Works Tarmac

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 182 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Wow, I'm sorry to hear this, and am surprised it happened around Clayton, an area I often considered very much bike friendly. Anyway, its very good news that the rider (Randall) was not injured seriously and the driver has been charged. I'm not sure just what constitutes felony hit and run, but one would think this case is not far off from it. Anyway lets hope he gets the book if found guilty.
Old 08-11-10, 12:06 AM
Velo Vol 
VFL For Life

Bikes: Velo Volmobile

Mentioned: 780 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28621 Post(s)
Liked 1,858 Times in 1,320 Posts
Originally Posted by wolfpack
2 charges: misdomeanor hit 'n run and assault
That's just great.
Old 08-29-10, 10:48 AM
jhud51

Bikes: Specialized Allez, Fisher Wahoo, Trek Multi-track 720 (hers)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Please get your bike community to attend the hearings and to raise a stink with the local press. Try to get the trial on tv if you can. Too many people side with the car when something like this happens and try to portray the cyclist as the "bad guy." Cyclers need to show the community your friend was the victim. If it was a car off a dealer's lot maybe a little heat could be put on the owner to help get a safety program started. We had an incident where a dealer car had a hit-and-run with 2 bikes, but got caught at the car lot later. Trust me, dealers don't need that kind of publicity. Keep us posted.

Last edited by jhud51; 08-29-10 at 10:53 AM. Reason: Wanted to.