Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

What road bike do you have?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

What road bike do you have?

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-11, 01:08 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Originally Posted by Soloist Assassin
correct. I've contemplated picking one up for a crit bike.
It also makes for a great working man's TT/Tri bike with clip on aero bars and a rear wheel cover.
Old 12-15-11, 01:37 PM
Midwest Ullrich
Midwest Ullrich

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Took my Soloist to a winter rainy ride this morning. This is one of my many bikes and I almost forgot how wonderful it handles. Going to give it a nice bath and lube the chain. Aero frame, bulletproof wheels, reliable Ultegra drivetrain....can't find any excuse to upgrade!
Old 12-15-11, 01:40 PM
X-LinkedRider
Flying Under the Radar

Bikes: 10' SuperiorLite SL Club | 06' Giant FCR3 | 2010 GT Avalanche 3.0 Disc

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Midwest Ullrich
[Going to give it a nice bath and lube the chain. Aero frame, bulletproof wheels, reliable Ultegra drivetrain....can't find any excuse to upgrade!
So why so many bikes then? Are they all individual utility bikes? Commuter/Touring/Racing/Mtb what have you.
Old 12-15-11, 02:12 PM
Midwest Ullrich
Midwest Ullrich

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by X-LinkedRider
So why so many bikes then? Are they all individual utility bikes? Commuter/Touring/Racing/Mtb what have you.
Couple years ago I got hooked onto local Craiglist. Bought a bunch of mid-range level bikes once every couple months. Reselling them after I got bored (not necessarily "flipping" as I didn't price the bikes to make profits). I am still keeping 2 or 3 that I cherish. A Trek 2000 with full Dura Ace 7400, a Cannondale R300 with Tri-color 600.....
My main ride though is a Colnago Extreme Power with Campy 10-speed.
Old 12-15-11, 02:19 PM
X-LinkedRider
Flying Under the Radar

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Midwest Ullrich
Couple years ago I got hooked onto local Craiglist. Bought a bunch of mid-range level bikes once every couple months. Reselling them after I got bored (not necessarily "flipping" as I didn't price the bikes to make profits). I am still keeping 2 or 3 that I cherish. A Trek 2000 with full Dura Ace 7400, a Cannondale R300 with Tri-color 600.....
My main ride though is a Colnago Extreme Power with Campy 10-speed.
Where is this bad boy at? And I totally understand in regards to craigslist. This year I have made it a point that anything I buy from craigslist is a gift for somebody. I limited myself to an 88' Cannondale Crit with Shimano 105, a 02' Fuji Newest with Tiagra for my girlfriend father, and a Giant Cypress for my girlfriend. This is the only way to maintain a level form of morale when buying stuff off of craigslist. Especially stuff YOU don't really need, but can't see passing up the opportunity for purchase.

Last edited by X-LinkedRider; 12-15-11 at 02:23 PM.
Old 12-15-11, 11:13 PM
adacas
noooooooooooooooooooob!

Bikes: Schwinn Fastback Sport

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Trek Fisher Cronus

First carbon bike and am so in love with it
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
20111122_153551 (2).jpg (101.8 KB, 264 views)
Old 12-16-11, 08:36 AM
Steve90068

Bikes: Road - Lynskey. Mountain - Trek Fuel EX

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
LOVE those Fishers. Too bad Trek hasnt realized that they look 1000 times better than their paint schemes
Old 12-16-11, 07:41 PM
yummygooey
i smell bacon

Bikes: Geekhouse Deerfield, GT Edge Ti, Spooky Skeletor, TET Track, Ritchey P-650b, Bridgestone MB-3

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
XACD Ti

Old 12-17-11, 11:12 AM
hailandkill

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
very nice! whats it weigh with those aksiums?
Old 12-17-11, 12:44 PM
yummygooey
i smell bacon

Bikes: Geekhouse Deerfield, GT Edge Ti, Spooky Skeletor, TET Track, Ritchey P-650b, Bridgestone MB-3

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanks! She weighs in at exactly 18.50 lbs as pictured. The Aksiums are heavy, as well as the carbon wrapped bars.
Old 12-19-11, 10:23 AM
kc0yef 

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 14 Posts
Just picked up a Fuji Royale II Ishiwata Quad Butted, MAVIC polished alloy red label with gold text and green sizing Modle E Rims on Specialized hubs(too bad the Gold Rims aren't on it) Suntour Barcons Nitto Stem and Nitto C new Chainrings new RD new chain Kevlar Continental Ultra Gator Skins in a 27 x 1 1/4" and a spare tire and tube a db4LW computer bike just tuned up BB headset cables etc...

Last edited by kc0yef; 12-19-11 at 10:24 AM. Reason: Tuning
Old 12-20-11, 12:44 PM
dayday82

Bikes: 2010 Fuji Roubaix 2.0. 2006 Iron Horse Azure Expert

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by adacas

Trek Fisher Cronus

First carbon bike and am so in love with it
nice, now lose the reflectors and flip it!
Old 12-21-11, 05:02 AM
mazdaspeed

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts

Nashbar frame!
Old 12-21-11, 09:57 AM
Bostic

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Posted this in the steel thread as well. My 1991 Fuso. I found it on craigslist back in early 2008. It had the original 7 speed 105 group on it with Scott Lemond drop in bars. I had it cold set to 130 spacing and it's gone through various builds over the past few years, Chorus compact, Record triple, and Shimano throughout. Currently a little bit of everything. Nashbar carbon fork ( I still have the original steel as well), Deda bars, Dura-Ace 10s downtube shifters, Sram 500 levers, Rival brakes, Campy comp triple front, Ultegra rear, FSA SL-K with custom 53/42/32 rings, Power tap SL+ with Sram Red 11-26.

Old 12-21-11, 10:03 AM
X-LinkedRider
Flying Under the Radar

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
One hell of a mashuip Bostic. Very nice though. I auto adjusted the coloring a bit for you.
Old 12-21-11, 11:22 AM
Midwest Ullrich
Midwest Ullrich

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by X-LinkedRider
Where is this bad boy at? And I totally understand in regards to craigslist. This year I have made it a point that anything I buy from craigslist is a gift for somebody. I limited myself to an 88' Cannondale Crit with Shimano 105, a 02' Fuji Newest with Tiagra for my girlfriend father, and a Giant Cypress for my girlfriend. This is the only way to maintain a level form of morale when buying stuff off of craigslist. Especially stuff YOU don't really need, but can't see passing up the opportunity for purchase.
You are a good man! Here is my Colnago.
*Couple years ago before the economy meltdown, there was a hilarous picture of a "touched up" Extreme Power. I found myself very fortunate at that time about having someone's "dream bike" in my own backyard. Nowadays, I do dream one day that I can comfortably afford a pair of deep section wheels and the new electronic shifting gadget.

Old 12-21-11, 05:35 PM
alexei.h
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

IMG_0010 by terrapin4, on Flickr

IMG_0025 by terrapin4, on Flickr
Van Dessel Rivet, far and away the best bike I've ever been on. Not pictured are my recent upgrades to the drivetrain (6700 shifters and RD, 7900 fd). One of these days I'll do it justice and pose it in front of my garage, but for now it's being shown in its natural habitat.

Last edited by alexei.h; 12-21-11 at 05:41 PM.
Old 12-22-11, 04:59 AM
miyata man

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 243 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You should be aware that the 7900 FD is only meant to be paired with the 7900 shifters. The RD is fine is with 6700.
Old 12-22-11, 09:04 AM
X-LinkedRider
Flying Under the Radar

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by miyata man
You should be aware that the 7900 FD is only meant to be paired with the 7900 shifters. The RD is fine is with 6700.
I was just about to say the same thing. Make sure you have comparability between your shifters and ders. Because you're not really supposed to.
Old 12-22-11, 12:33 PM
alexei.h
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
no. i know plenty of guys who run combos and mismatched groups. no one has encountered an exploding drivetrain or intolerable chain rub. no one has complained once about even a of modicum chain rub, or durability, or any one of a host of other issues that i'm sure plague the minds of the wary. i'm sure that some degree of precision and optimal function is sacrificed, but it's far and away the best front shifting i've ever experienced.

edit: i should note that yes, i'm aware of the specs of the 7900 fd regarding pull and the trim feature, but so far, performance has been perfect. if it degrades, then i eat the cost of a new fd. but another reason i went with that combo is because the 7900 clamp is slimmer than the 6700 clamp, which allows me to run 25c tires on 23 mm rims and keep significantly greater tire clearance.

Last edited by alexei.h; 12-22-11 at 01:15 PM.
Old 12-22-11, 01:18 PM
miyata man

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 243 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ok. In one corner we have a singular opinionated cyclist. In the other we have a groupset that has been intentionally designed to be incompatible with everything else on the market multiple times throughout its lineage. In any number of other scenarios you would be right but please take the time to make sure of the facts as it is relevant to your build. I stand to gain nothing by taking the time to illustrate this phenomenon but a warm fuzzy feeling inside for giving you pertinent information you didn't have.
Old 12-22-11, 02:15 PM
alexei.h
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ok. In one corner we have a singular opinionated cyclist. In the other we have a groupset that has been intentionally designed to be incompatible with everything else on the market multiple times throughout its lineage. In any number of other scenarios you would be right but please take the time to make sure of the facts as it is relevant to your build. I stand to gain nothing by taking the time to illustrate this phenomenon but a warm fuzzy feeling inside for giving you pertinent information you didn't have.
i had this information, and made an informed decision based on input from experienced riders and my lbs mechanics. this isn't to say that anecdotal evidence trumps the rigorous testing that i'm sure shimano put into developing the mech, but given the a) lack of catastrophic consequences for running the fd and shifters together and b) more than satisfactory performance of said combination, i'm quite happy with my decision. if you have any data regarding the durability of the combination, i'd be happy to hear it, and i'm not just being glib in saying that. it would be helpful to pass along to the lbs guys who endorsed the combination.
Old 12-23-11, 03:23 AM
AlexTaylor
Snail-paced new boy

Bikes: Colnago Extreme Power, Ribble Winter

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My Winter Bike

Cervelo R3 2011
Sram Red
Rotor 3D+ Cranks with Rotor Aero chainrings
Rotor BBRight Ceramic BB
3T Team finishing kit- stem/carbon bars/carbon post
Fizik Aliante carbon saddle
Mavic Ksyrium Elite Wheels
Vittoria Open Pave 320 Tyres
Look Keo Carbon HM/Ti pedals
Planet X carbon QR
KMC X10SL chain
Crud Roadracers

Steerer kept long for when I sell it to a fat dentist.

(It's also my best bike and TT bike btw)
Old 12-23-11, 07:18 AM
cyclebycle13
Super WW

Bikes: A really light one and a really heavy one.

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 43 Times in 15 Posts
Originally Posted by alexei.h
i had this information, and made an informed decision based on input from experienced riders and my lbs mechanics. this isn't to say that anecdotal evidence trumps the rigorous testing that i'm sure shimano put into developing the mech, but given the a) lack of catastrophic consequences for running the fd and shifters together and b) more than satisfactory performance of said combination, i'm quite happy with my decision. if you have any data regarding the durability of the combination, i'd be happy to hear it, and i'm not just being glib in saying that. it would be helpful to pass along to the lbs guys who endorsed the combination.

AMEN! If it works and you're happy with it, do it! There are also a few people I know who switched to sram from campy and are still running their campy hub/cassettes w/ sram rear derailleur/shifter combos and no j-tek shiftmate and they find the combination is perfect. It's not supposed to be, but it is.
Old 12-23-11, 07:33 AM
UCIMBZ
Banned

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by AlexTaylor
My Winter Bike

Cervelo R3 2011
Sram Red
Rotor 3D+ Cranks with Rotor Aero chainrings
Rotor BBRight Ceramic BB
3T Team finishing kit- stem/carbon bars/carbon post
Fizik Aliante carbon saddle
Mavic Ksyrium Elite Wheels
Vittoria Open Pave 320 Tyres
Look Keo Carbon HM/Ti pedals
Planet X carbon QR
KMC X10SL chain
Crud Roadracers

Steerer kept long for when I sell it to a fat dentist.

(It's also my best bike and TT bike btw)
My dentist can beat your dentist.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.