Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Did you exercise today? (other than biking)

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Did you exercise today? (other than biking)

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-12, 07:18 PM
Burr
Off your Donkey, lets go

Location: The Gardens, Roses & Orchids. Bulacan The Philippines and Red Mountain, Ca. USA

Bikes: Schwinn Mountain, Diamondback Expert Road & REI Randonee Touring

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
A hard 5x5 three days a week.
Sugar , BP, hours sleep and Oatmeal with raisins and Equal!
Pipe twist
Yoga: 3 Balance, 4 Stretches, 6 Spine twist. Crunches 4x50=200 & Leg Raises 3x21=63
Flat Bench Press 5x5@ 115#
Incline Bench 5x5@ 115#
EZ Bar pull over’s 5x5@ 85#
Dead Lifts 5x5@ 135#
Bent Over Rows 5x5@ 135#
Preacher Curls EZ BAR 5x5@85#
Bent over DB kick backs 5x5@35#
Overhead Extensions 5x5@35#
Bent over Flies 5x5@20#
Bent over rev. Flies 5x5@20#
Toe Raises C-L-R 5x5@ Me
I worked slow and hard, felt the burn.
Cycling & Pilates Tues, Thu, & Sat.
Remember your grippers twice a day!!
Old 12-19-12, 08:31 PM
DnvrFox
Banned.

Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
Continuing as before, swim, shoveled entire large driveway and sidewalks of 4" of snow, spin bike at the gym.
Old 12-19-12, 08:54 PM
Burr
Off your Donkey, lets go

Location: The Gardens, Roses & Orchids. Bulacan The Philippines and Red Mountain, Ca. USA

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Boy it's cool here today, staying about 87f. I am going riding but I'll wear a long sleve shirt.

Buuuuur
Old 12-19-12, 09:58 PM
Cog_wild

Bikes: 5 and counting

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
yes, I grabbed one of those wheels with the handles on both sides. I bent over and let it roll out and by the time my arms got extended over my head it felt like I had just done about 599 sit ups, so I tried it again. yep, same thing. I think starting on the knees would probably have been the way to go.
Old 12-20-12, 05:58 AM
TexLex100

Bikes: Kona Wheelhouse

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
an easy swim for 20 minutes. Then set in the hot tub for 5 minutes (that counts as an exercise, no?)
Old 12-20-12, 08:47 PM
momsonherbike

Bikes: All mine are electric bikes now

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked 59 Times in 37 Posts
No other exercise today outside 21 lovely miles of biking...unless you want to count hefting an armload of heavy winter blankets out to the field and double blanketing three of the four ponies for the incoming nasty weather ( fourth was already dressed for foul weather), then tossing eleven 60 lb bales of hay down from the barn loft, and carrying one bale out to the fields for the ponies' dinners tonight...all while I was still in my biking gear.

Darling hubby had a delicious homemade stew piping hot and waiting for me once I was back inside. Mmmmmmm.

Last edited by momsonherbike; 12-20-12 at 08:57 PM.
Old 12-20-12, 08:55 PM
DnvrFox
Banned.

Originally Posted by momsonherbike
No other exercise today outside 21 lovely miles of biking...unless you want to count double blanketing three of the four ponies for the incoming nasty weather ( fourth was already dressed for foul weather), then tossing eleven 60 lb bales of hay down from the barn loft, and carrying one bale out to the fields for the ponies' dinners tonight...all while I was still in my biking gear.

Darling hubby had a delicious homemade stew piping hot and ready waiting for me once I was back inside. Mmmmmmm.
Sounds like exercise to me. I exercised my vocal chords - Thursday is our singing groups practice morning.
Old 12-20-12, 09:22 PM
momsonherbike

Originally Posted by DnvrFox
Sounds like exercise to me. I exercised my vocal chords - Thursday is our singing groups practice morning.
Ooooo - does that mean I can claim exercising my vocal cords as well, calling the ponies in from their fields for their dinner? Sometimes I have to exercise those cords pretty strenuously when those bratty ponies "pretend" not to hear me from 6 acres away...

One thinks they would be grateful that I'm currently putting the miles on my bike...and not them!

Last edited by momsonherbike; 12-20-12 at 09:26 PM.
Old 12-20-12, 09:30 PM
DnvrFox
Banned.

Ooooo - does that mean I can claim exercising my vocal cords as well, calling the ponies in from their fields for their dinner? Sometimes I have to exercise those cords pretty strenuously when those bratty ponies "pretend" not to hear me from 6 acres away...

One thinks they would be grateful that I'm currently putting the miles on my bike...and not them!
It's right up there with snapping your fingers!
Old 12-20-12, 09:30 PM
Rowan

Mentioned: 125 Post(s)
Quoted: 1454 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 40 Posts
Has anyone welcomed you to the 50+ Forum, yet, momsonherbike?

If not, welcome! And maybe tell us a bit about yourself, apart from running horses and saving bikes from thrift shops...
Old 12-20-12, 10:55 PM
momsonherbike

Well, a quick resume - I'm a long time carriage driver (aka "whip") driving a pair (since the mid '70's) - first horses, but now Welsh ponies (they're such an adorable breed), long time foxhunter (also since the late '70's) but "retired" from that extreme sport this past year when my hunt horse hit his late 20's (geezerhood for an equine). He and I "whipped-in" as hunt staff in prior years - he was quite the talented fellow - fast, accurate, loved the thrill of the chase, adored the hounds, and knew all the hunting horn calls - even better than me. If he'd been human, he'd have certainly been a BMX biker, bombing down slopes for the sheer joy of it.

Also an endurance rider for 14 years, logging thousands of miles undersaddle in sanctioned Endurance rides (50 miles a day, and up). In 2010 my Welsh/Arab pony and I obtained the AERC Decade Team status for 10 consecutive years of endurance riding as a team. He retired last year at age 23 with several Top Ten placings and a number of accolades to his name - still running around with his tail over his back like a crazy 3 year old. If he'd been human, he'd have been on a road racing team, having a blast flying along at mach speeds. He also was one of my foxhunters, adored the hounds, and you could crack a hunting whip right over his ears at an errent hound and he wouldn't even blink an eye. He especially lived to gallop pedal-to-the-medal when the hounds were in full cry. A brilliant athlete, still, but now enjoying his pension snoozing in the afternoon sun and taking full advantage of his retirement.

So...how did I get from there (carriages, foxhunting, Endurance riding) to add biking to the agenda? I have a youngster I want to start in Endurance next year, but decided, as I began training him this spring, that I, too (on the doorstep of 60), was a bit out of shape for running down mountains and tailing up them... and needed to get myself a bit fitter - starting immediately. Rather than walking, I decided I would get fitter, faster, on a bike. One thing led to another....the Wal-Mart cheap-o MB (which beat me almost into the ground on our local rolling gravel roads) was supplanted two months later by a more "worthy of my time and effort" 2011 Specialized crosstrail, which has been joined by a 1996 Giant " Nutra " steel frame hybrid, and now a 2012 Giant Avail 1 which is happily -and quite handily - indulging in my unabaited lust for speed.

Best part of the whole story is... an endurance buddy of mine - a good friend I've ridden with for years (she's further along in her 60's) - also fell into biking at the same time I did, and now - instead of riding the trails on our horses - we've started doing the bike rallies and planning a whole Bucket List of rides and tours together. Hubby used to do the endurance bike racing (200 miles in 24 hour type rides) in his 20's, but no longer has any desire to climb on a bike. He's happy to be my SAG when needed, and my in-house bike mechanic as well, but his love and hobby now is collecting and restoring antique carriages. His old racing Raleigh is now hanging in son's garage.

My hopes for 2013 are to have my bikes whip me into shape so that I'm a more equal partner for my youngster in his endurance debute...although I'm pretty sure I've been bitten hard enough by the biking bug (I know my endurance friend is totally hooked) that the upcoming century rides are going to find my endurance friend and I in eager and happy attendance among the cycling crowd as well.

Which is why I'm here - to learn as much as possible from those who are already in the know. Thus far, this place has been pretty educational...and quite entertaining as well.

Last edited by momsonherbike; 12-20-12 at 11:16 PM.
Old 12-20-12, 11:23 PM
Rowan

GREAT backstory there.

I am a little familiar with endurance horse riding. I first learned of it covering an article on a rider preparing for the Quilty Ride, being held in Tasmania, Australia. It's the premier ride there, and rotates around the States. I am quite amazed at the riders and the horses for the teamwork and stamina that is needed to complete events.

It reads as though you like to write about your stories. May there be many more here on your cycling exploits.
Old 12-20-12, 11:33 PM
John C. Ratliff

Bikes: Rans Stratus, Trek 1420, Rivendell Rambouillet

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I spent 30 minutes on a Schwinn Airdyne.

John
Old 12-20-12, 11:44 PM
momsonherbike

Thanks. I am a published writer - lots of equine riding and driving magazine articles over the decades. Awards, too, for several (if you'll forgive the small brag)

It's nice how smoothly equestrian riding translates to biking...especially when one is so in tune with the "twitchy" breeds (Arabs and Thoroughbreds). A sleek twitchy road bike is no different, and the crossover of ability from fast athletic equine to expensive athletic road bike is instantly familiar ground. Plus (a big plus here) the colorful and comfortable endurance clothing is perfect for biking as well.

Funny story - the first time my endurance pal entered a rally, she told me the start was identical to an endurance ride start ...without all "the drama". I didn't know what she meant until I went to my first rally, and looked around in amazement at hundreds of beautiful well-mannered bikes, patiently and quietly waiting next to their nervous owners for their turn to head off. Not one spinning, rearing, bucking, leaping, or ready to explode. Every single bike was silent, calm, patient, yet ready. I know I was looking around like a rube with my mouth open in amazement.

You may laugh, but I cannot express how unusual ...almost surreal...it was looking out over that sea of calm after decades of (equine) ride starts that were anything BUT calm. It was sooooo nice, and totally unreal.

Last edited by momsonherbike; 12-20-12 at 11:50 PM.
Old 12-20-12, 11:54 PM
Rowan

Funny story - the first time my endurance pal entered a rally, she told me the start was identical to an endurance ride start ...without all "the drama". I didn't know what she meant until I went to my first rally, and looked around in amazement at hundreds of beautiful well-mannered bikes, patiently and quietly waiting next to their nervous owners for their turn to head off. Not one spinning, rearing, bucking, leaping, or ready to explode. Every single bike was silent, calm, patient, yet ready. I know I was looking around like a rube with my mouth open in amazement.

You may laugh, but I cannot express how unusual ...almost surreal...it was looking out over that sea of calm after decades of (equine) ride starts that were anything BUT calm. It was sooooo nice, and totally unreal.
And no stallions trying to mount mares! My sister got into big strife after a dressage show with one of her horses after an incident like that.
Old 12-21-12, 12:25 AM
Dave Ferris
Dave Ferris

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
After my two 10s yesterday--run & bike--I took today off.
Old 12-21-12, 12:07 PM
IBOHUNT

Bikes: Motobecane Fantom Cross; Cannondale Supersix replaced the Giant TCR which came to an untimely death by truck

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 10 Posts
Plodded through a 5K.
35 degrees with flurries and winds gusting to 27 mph. Good times.
Old 12-21-12, 01:16 PM
TexLex100

Bikes: Kona Wheelhouse

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
as yesterday, a 20 minute breaststroke swimming. Bike is at the LBS to install fenders and a rear-wheel mounted candence and speed computer.
Old 12-21-12, 02:14 PM
DnvrFox
Banned.

Only 135 pushups today because I did pullups and chinups first. Three planks, a lot of stretching, swim 45 minutes - probably the most vigorous swimming I have done to date, 1 mile walk

Last edited by DnvrFox; 12-21-12 at 03:17 PM.
Old 12-23-12, 11:12 AM
climberguy

Bikes: better than I deserve

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Reading this tread motivates me to get away from the computer and work out.

I worked a bit today with kettlebells and a decidedly low-tech piece of equipment--my jumprope.

I'm just starting to use kettlebells. Anybody use them and have tips or suggestions?

Last edited by climberguy; 12-23-12 at 11:19 AM.
Old 01-06-13, 10:58 PM
Burr
Off your Donkey, lets go

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Burr’s New Dumb-Bell Workout.
Day/Date= Monday 1/7/13 Time= 2Hr’s
Sugar=187 BP/HR = 125/57/50 Sleep=7Hr’s Weather=overcast/damp/hot
Ate a banana before taking my sugar, 15 minute and it shot up to 187
20 Minute Yoga/Pilates Workout & Crunches 3x75=225
Arms:
  1. Concentration Curls 3x14=30#
  2. One-Arm kickback 3x14=25#
  3. Hammer Curl 3x14=20#
  4. Standing Rev. Curl 3x14=15#
  5. Preacher Curls 3x14=60#
  6. Overhead Triceps Ext. 3x14=25#
Chest & Back:
  1. Bent-Over Rows 3x14=35#
  2. Dumb-Bell Over Head Press 3x14=25#
  3. Shrugs 3x21=35#
  4. Bench Press 3x14=35#
  5. Bent over Flies 3x14=15#
  6. Laying Pull Over’s 2x14=35#
Shoulder:
  1. Cable one arm cross over’s 2x14=50#
  2. Cable one arm pull across 2x14=50#
  3. Seated Shoulder Press 3x14=85#
  4. Front Raise 3x14=25#
  5. Standing Dumb-bell pull over 3x14=35#
Legs:
  1. Cable Dead Lifts (bad knees) 3x14=110#
  2. Seated Leg Ext 3x14=30#
  3. Standing Leg Curls 3x14=20#
  4. Standing Toe Raises 3x21=Me
Abs & Core;
  1. Dumb-Bell Side Bends 2x21=35#
Don’t Forget Your Grippers
Old 01-13-13, 10:39 AM
Jim J

Bikes: Trek FX 3 Disc & Trek 5200

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
8° outside so on the TM for a 14 miler. Insanity at its best! Looked up last year's 14 miler on this same weekend and tried to mirror it. :31 faster this year. After mile 6 started to speed it up a bit each mile. Mile 7 had to hit it harder to keep the TM from stopping as I had only set it for 60 mins and it was going to be close. Last mile was balls to the walls and just tried to survive. Hit 164 HR at the end. Avg HR data about the same as well. Never could do it outside but it is a workout nonetheless!

14@1:57:01...8:22 avg pace
131/164 avg/max HR
164-108-56 RHR
Splits:

Good workout and efort on a very cold day here in CBIA!
Old 01-13-13, 12:48 PM
FormerFF

Bikes: Trek 610, Cannondale Bad Boy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
70 degrees here. Did a 5K run at an easy pace,because I'm recovering from some sort of virus that had me flat on my back for four days.
Old 01-13-13, 07:20 PM
Burr
Off your Donkey, lets go

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Full Body Machine Workout
Date/Day _Monday_1/14/13 Time _0745_to_0900__
Sugar _158_ BP/HR _135/68/48_ Sleep _8_____ Weather _damp- 85f_____

Alright NE!!! I want to see SF & Ravans

Pipe Twist

15 minutes Yoga, Leg Raises 4x20=80, & Crunches’ 4x50=200

Super Set:
1. Bench Press 5x14 @110#
2. Front Pull Downs 5x14 @110#

Tri Set:
  1. Pick Flies 5x21 @55#
  2. Preacher Curls 5x10 @55#
  3. Rev Pull Downs 5x14 @55#

Super Set:
  1. Cable Push Downs 5x14 @ 65#
  2. One Arm Cable Rows 5x14 @ 65#

Super Set:
  1. Cable Cross Over’s 5x14 @ 65#
  2. Cable Pull Across 5x14@ 65#

Seated Cable Rows 5x10 @110#

Super Set:
  1. Standing Leg Curls 5x10 @ 30#
  2. Seated Leg Ext. 5x10 @ 40#

Tri Set:
  1. Standing Toe Raises M,L,R 3x10 @ Me

Wow Man, I got the pump Frank, I GOT THE PUMP

Remember Your Grippers 3x50 three times a day
Old 01-15-13, 04:46 PM
bjjoondo 

Bikes: 2011 ICE Sprint Special Edition

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 101 Times in 66 Posts
45 minutes on my cheapie exersize bike, (Stamina 1305 Indoor Cycle), only got 5.5 miles and with spining like crazy and resistance set to 6 out of 10, I could only get to 11.4 mph!! I swear that thing reads really low. I'd like to make a hour but on this machine I'd be dead!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.