Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

65-85+ Thread

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

65-85+ Thread

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-13, 03:14 PM
ls1geezer

Bikes: Gary Fisher Wahoo Disc Giant Trance X 2

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Rhinelander
I love an optimist... (lol) good stuff... 61 myself. reckon that's close enough...
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Well if you let Rhinelander in you have to let me in 'cause I'm 63
Fair's fair !!!
Old 02-08-13, 06:05 AM
maddmaxx 
Boomer

Bikes: Diamondback Clarity II frame homebuilt.

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 16098 Post(s)
Liked 1,457 Times in 1,064 Posts
Originally Posted by icyclist
I know the rules say you have to be 65 to post here. Well, I'm going to cheat, and post right here, right now, a day before my 65th birthday. I'm doing so ust because I can, and because I'm worried that after midnight, whatever is left of my rebellious spirit might fade entirely away.
Usually on the morning of the 65th birthday one wakes up and has a sudden fright because you've gone blind. After a few moments of confusion you realize that it's dark at 3;30am and you woke up to go to the bathroom.
Old 02-09-13, 07:22 PM
Lighthouse

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I previously posted about the Lighthouse Sequoia I was having built. I do have the bike now and I did all the set up work myself including building the wheels. The frame builder Tim Neenan did an amazing job on the bike making probably the most beautiful lugged frame I have ever seen. The ride, handling and performance of the bike is everything I could imagine. If you are thinking of breaking away from the off the rack type bikes then take a look at Lighthousecycles.com. I am so pleased that I did just that.
Old 02-10-13, 08:14 AM
RonH
Life is good

Bikes: 2018 Lynskey Helix Pro

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 522 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
Congrats on the new bike.
Where are the pics?

I am a cyclist. I am not the fastest or the fittest. But I will get to where I'm going with a smile on my face.
Old 02-10-13, 06:24 PM
Lighthouse

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have not taken any pictures of it myself as it's so new but here are a couple that the builder took before delivery to me.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
lighthouse46.jpg (61.5 KB, 37 views)
silver46.jpg (98.3 KB, 39 views)
Old 02-11-13, 03:34 PM
stapfam
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Any of you following my posts will know I have recently been diagnosed with vitamin "D" deficiency. That is the sunshine vitamin and can be a problem for older persons and can have a lot of side effects. I have been reading up about it and muscle fatigue- bone pain- raised cholesterol- cardiac problems- possibility that it makes you prone to Diabetes--The list goes on and on and on. Some of the symptoms are currently causing me a problem and the diabetes check is in a couple of weeks.

But I am giving up reading about the problem. I am not a hypochondriac but every time I read about another symptom--I have it. Come on-- it is a simple malady that is cured by taking a pill daily--unless you are a severe case and there is no way that I am that bad.

The only thing the diagnosis has done has given me a reason why I am feeling tired and lethargic----SO extra spinning session booked in for tomorrow to stop me reading about the bad side of my problem. And the spinning may lose another few ozs off my overweight body that will help with the "Obese" 5lbs overweight that is the main cause of other problems associated with not getting out and digging the garden in the Sunshine and the rain and the wind and and the cold.

Spike Milligan
Old 02-15-13, 08:26 PM
rdtompki

Bikes: Volagi, daVinci Joint Venture

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
I passed right through 65 more than two years ago without concern, but gosh darn I've been reading that folks over 65 are susceptible to bunches of bad stuff. Why 65 and not 65-1/2 or 70?
Old 02-26-13, 06:23 AM
Burr
Off your Donkey, lets go

Location: The Gardens, Roses & Orchids. Bulacan The Philippines and Red Mountain, Ca. USA

Bikes: Schwinn Mountain, Diamondback Expert Road & REI Randonee Touring

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Stapfam, start taking your afternoon nap in the sun, be sure to roll over from time to time.
Old 02-28-13, 07:26 PM
thomasmedlicott

Bikes: two old bikes, one new one on order

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'll be 66 the end of May and the only "bad stuff" I have is not enough money to ride wherever and whenever I want.
Old 03-03-13, 08:59 AM
kehomer

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by stapfam
Any of you following my posts will know I have recently been diagnosed with vitamin "D" deficiency. That is the sunshine vitamin and can be a problem for older persons and can have a lot of side effects. I have been reading up about it and muscle fatigue- bone pain- raised cholesterol- cardiac problems- possibility that it makes you prone to Diabetes--The list goes on and on and on. Some of the symptoms are currently causing me a problem and the diabetes check is in a couple of weeks.
Could this be one of those crackpot ideas you mentioned in another topic? Maybe a gluten free diet will alleviate your symptoms.
Old 03-03-13, 04:44 PM
zonatandem

Bikes: Custom Zona c/f tandem + Scott Plasma single

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 11 Posts
Sending England/stapfam some of our excess sunshine here in Tucson, Arizona. That may take care of that vitamin D issue.
81 degrees today and sunny. Rode a nice leisurely 21 miles this morning on my single bike.
Am only 80 years old and can hardly wait 'til I get older!
Pedal on!
Rudy/zonatandem
Old 03-04-13, 07:52 AM
DougG
Road Runner

Bikes: 2017 Felt VR5, 2013 Specialized Crosstrail, 2020 Specialized Vado 4.0

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked 46 Times in 21 Posts
Originally Posted by zonatandem
Sending England/stapfam some of our excess sunshine here in Tucson, Arizona. That may take care of that vitamin D issue.
81 degrees today and sunny. Rode a nice leisurely 21 miles this morning on my single bike.
I didn't really need to read this. If it weren't for a family medical-related emergency that caused us to have to cancel our vacation plans, we'd be in Tucson today instead of sitting here in 20F Michigan weather. The real kicker is that the emergency situation has subsided and we certainly could have gone on the trip without any worries! Sigh...
Old 03-04-13, 08:16 AM
carpetman1

Bikes: trek 7000 and old Rampar

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DougG
I didn't really need to read this. If it weren't for a family medical-related emergency that caused us to have to cancel our vacation plans, we'd be in Tucson today instead of sitting here in 20F Michigan weather. The real kicker is that the emergency situation has subsided and we certainly could have gone on the trip without any worries! Sigh...
Here someone is having Vitamin D deficiency from not enough sun. I've had to have surgery to remove skin cancers blamed on the sun. Told to stay out of sun and wear long sleeves and hats (not ballcaps).
Old 03-04-13, 01:31 PM
kehomer

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Are You Affected by the Cold More Than When You Were Younger?

Just received an ebay item, a Shimano 600 rear hub manufactured in the 80's. Looks pretty good. No deep scratches, almost no deformation of the spoke holes but I need to take it apart and check the bearing races before I provide feedback to the Seller. I am a firm believer in good feedback, especially when I risk good money on used parts. If the seller has sold me a good item, one that closely matches his description of the piece, he deserves to have my positive feedback published expeditiously. But you know what, it's been pretty cold for the past few days. I find myself avoiding my cold workshop, turning the thermostat up, turning up my mattress heater, looking for my warmest sweater even though this winter has been fairly mild here in North Georgia.

I very seldom go for rides, even short ones, when the temp goes below 55 degrees. Have you noticed a greater sensitivity to the cold as you grow older? Man, I am really looking forward to Spring! Very interested in any feedback you might provide.

Guess what I'm going to do now, to salve my conscience, is to place some newspapers on my desk where it's warm, tear down the hub and then report the feedback promptly.
Old 03-04-13, 02:42 PM
Ancient Mariner

Bikes: Giant Defy Comp 2, Specialized Rockhopper Hard Tail 29er

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
GAH!! I am such a slacker. I've really been slacking since around Thanksgiving (late last November for the benefit of the non-Americans). I'm only getting out a couple times a week, if that. The problem is my disdain for mid-day riding. Too many people....too much traffic.....short days. I really enjoy my early morning rides, but it's just a bit too chilly at present. I'll be back at it i another month or so, and in the meantime, I'm enjoying a little wrenching. I currently have a couple projects going, and what time I have seems to be spent working on them. I just flipped a Specialized Hardrock MTB, I've rebuilt a Trek 613, and I'm partway through rebuilding a Vitus 979 and a Super Mondia. I am learning so much about bottom brackets and the various thread systems used on them, obscure derailleurs, and all other sorts of esoterica. I can't say I'm not having a lot of fun, but I do miss the regular rides.

It's my own fault, I know.
Old 03-05-13, 09:49 AM
DougG
Road Runner

Originally Posted by kehomer
I very seldom go for rides, even short ones, when the temp goes below 55 degrees. Have you noticed a greater sensitivity to the cold as you grow older? Man, I am really looking forward to Spring! Very interested in any feedback you might provide.
I was just commenting about this to my wife yesterday. I've lived in Michigan just about 50 years now and can't remember being affected as much by the cold as this winter. I used to go out running even at sub-zero temperatures, but now anything below 20F discourages me.

Could be a combo of factors: we had such a freakishly warm winter last year (hit 80 in mid-March!) that it might have been a shock getting back to more normal conditions. Then I weigh a good 10-15 lbs. less than I did when in my 30s-50s. And maybe it is just aging. Now I know why so many people I know that are my age spend some weeks in Florida or Arizona at this time of the year!
Old 03-06-13, 12:59 PM
3bluebikes

Bikes: 2013 Trek Superfly AL 29er hardtail, 2005 LeMond Tourmalet, 2004 Cannondale Road Tandem

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 1 Post
I'm the guy in the middle in the blue jacket, the only one old enough in the photo to post here. (I hit 70 in January.) This picture was taken Sunday, 3-3-13. Temperature about 25 degrees F. If the ride hadn't been posted on the club web site, I probably would not have ridden; but because it was, I enjoyed a great 38 mile ride with a stop at a quirky coffee shop half way. I'm so glad I joined Elmhurst Bicycle Club.
Attached Images
2013Mar3.jpg (98.6 KB, 102 views)
Old 03-06-13, 01:29 PM
RonH
Life is good

Bikes: 2018 Lynskey Helix Pro

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 522 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
Welcome to the old timers club. I'm just a kid. I'm only 68.
Kudos on doing the ride. Too cold for me. When I was still employed I rode to work "once" in 18F temperatures. After that I decided 30-35F was my limit.
Now I'm down here in the sunshine. My "cold" rides now are in the high 40s to high 50s. Most winter rides are 60F to low 80F.

The guy in the white jacket beside you looks like he's going to rob a bank after the ride.

I am a cyclist. I am not the fastest or the fittest. But I will get to where I'm going with a smile on my face.
Old 03-06-13, 01:35 PM
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1350 Post(s)
Liked 1,245 Times in 623 Posts
I see 5 bank robbers in there.

Old 03-07-13, 05:42 PM
zonatandem

Bikes: Custom Zona c/f tandem + Scott Plasma single

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 11 Posts
DougG:
Oh, go do a few laps at Stoney Creek!
Lived in that neck o' the woods back in the 70s. Rode when it was 20 degrees and dry; just enough of a little hillwork to keep warm!
If it was snowing, used to x-country ski there.
Used to ride with Neil King who owned the bike shop in Rochester; we lived in Shelby Twp/Utica area before leaving winters behind and moving to Arizona in 1978.
Old 03-08-13, 07:58 AM
DougG
Road Runner

Originally Posted by zonatandem
DougG:
Oh, go do a few laps at Stoney Creek!
Lived in that neck o' the woods back in the 70s. Rode when it was 20 degrees and dry; just enough of a little hillwork to keep warm!
If it was snowing, used to x-country ski there.
One of my regular year-round hangouts for running (paved path and trails), biking, hiking, walking, and X-C skiing. I run there year-round, but save biking for warmer weather. But there is a year-round biking group there at the same time as when a group of us run and, yes, T.J. Hill is still among them (I'm sure you know who he is -- a former world-class cyclist still riding every day of the year even though in his 80s).
Old 03-08-13, 03:49 PM
jlj

Bikes: Trek 7.9

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
HELLO, I've been looking for a 65+ forum. Gotta book mark it. Rode today, Oakdale MN, slush is finally manageable. Riding an old Raleigh V 4, no studs, except me, and been getting out most of the winter. Saw a YOU TUBE (stupid me) about 'fit', been staining it seems, so I up'd my seat 1/2 inch after watching this 'expert' advise. But suddenly knees are a little tender. Right in front, or on top how ever ya wanna put it. I know, if it ain't broke, don't fix it, well, I had to try to get a little more oomph, time and miles. Gonna keep it this way for the next several days.
Just holding on till it's road bike-able here on the roads. The paths here in Washington county are the worst, if it ain't piles of ice, it's tree trunks and pot holes.
Well, what all did you expect from a 198 lb 65 year old biker, common sense and a mantra?
Your Truly, Peddling Picker
Old 03-08-13, 03:52 PM
jlj

Bikes: Trek 7.9

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
are we gonna have our own group?
Old 03-09-13, 02:02 AM
Burr
Off your Donkey, lets go

Location: The Gardens, Roses & Orchids. Bulacan The Philippines and Red Mountain, Ca. USA

Bikes: Schwinn Mountain, Diamondback Expert Road & REI Randonee Touring

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
WelCome Stud, don't ware out your stud Dude
Old 03-09-13, 06:43 AM
Artmo 

Bikes: '06 Bianchi Pista; '57 Maclean; '10 Scott CR1 Pro; 2005 Trek 2000 Tandem; '09 Comotion Macchiato Tandem; 199? Novara Road; '17 Circe Helios e-tandem:1994 Trek 2300

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked 93 Times in 61 Posts
Can't wait to get my 1957 Maclean frame back from Assenmacher's in MI, where it is being refurbished/repainted. Should be back soon.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.