Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

65-85+ Thread

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

65-85+ Thread

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-16, 10:08 AM
elmore leonard

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Being 75 now and riding everyday I find that a wheel with a 1 3/8" wide tire is the most comfortable and softest. It makes for the most enjoyable ride and still allows for decent speed.
Tires of this size do not have as much rubber on the road as one might think. Whether they would work on you bike is another question?
Old 04-24-16, 01:17 PM
RonH
Life is good

Bikes: 2018 Lynskey Helix Pro

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 522 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
^^^
Not for me. Both my bikes have 700x25 tires.

I am a cyclist. I am not the fastest or the fittest. But I will get to where I'm going with a smile on my face.
Old 04-24-16, 07:50 PM
digibud

Bikes: Spec Roubaix, three Fisher Montare, two Pugs

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
New record April for me. 530mi so far this month. I've not done 500mi in April before so I've set a personal record already. Nice.
Old 04-26-16, 12:06 PM
RonH
Life is good

I ordered new wheels for the Cannondale yesterday. Bill (qcpmsame) suggested giving Rob (PSImet2001) at PSIMet.com (PSIMet LLC on FB) a try. I like the custom wheelset he suggested so pulled the trigger. I'll post pics when they arrive. The Vision Metron 55 wheels will be on the auction block soon if anyone is interested in aero carbon wheels (55 mm deep).

I am a cyclist. I am not the fastest or the fittest. But I will get to where I'm going with a smile on my face.
Old 04-26-16, 02:04 PM
OldTryGuy

Bikes: Day6 Semi Recumbent "FIREBALL", 1981 Custom Touring Paramount, 1983 Road Paramount, 2013 Giant Propel Advanced SL3, 2018 Specialized Red Roubaix Expert mech., 2002 Magna 7sp hybrid, 1976 Bassett Racing 45sp Cruiser

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1069 Post(s)
Liked 788 Times in 505 Posts
Originally Posted by digibud
New record April for me. 530mi so far this month. I've not done 500mi in April before so I've set a personal record already. Nice.
Congratulations!!!

Originally Posted by RonH
I ordered new wheels for the Cannondale yesterday. Bill (qcpmsame) suggested giving Rob (PSImet2001) at PSIMet.com (PSIMet LLC on FB) a try. I like the custom wheelset he suggested so pulled the trigger. I'll post pics when they arrive. The Vision Metron 55 wheels will be on the auction block soon if anyone is interested in aero carbon wheels (55 mm deep).
Wishing many happy miles on the new wheels for you. What tires are going on?
Old 04-26-16, 02:10 PM
RonH
Life is good

Originally Posted by OldTryGuy
Wishing many happy miles on the new wheels for you. What tires are going on?
I'm keeping the tires that are now on the bike — Michelin Pro4 Service Course.

Old 05-02-16, 12:38 AM
rawly old

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Can anyone suggest a nice flat touring route for creaky old geezers in the Northwest.
Old 05-06-16, 02:40 PM
McBTC

Bikes: 2015 22 Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1543 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 39 Posts
Originally Posted by rawly old
Can anyone suggest a nice flat touring route for creaky old geezers in the Northwest.
How about Astoria to Florence?

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Astoria Bridge to Florence.jpg (63.5 KB, 94 views)

Last edited by McBTC; 05-06-16 at 02:45 PM.
Old 05-06-16, 11:12 PM
rawly old

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by McBTC
How about Astoria to Florence?
This sounds reasonable as long as i can avoid the fumes & fury of 101. Most of
the area on your map is serviced by the Oregon inter-coastal transit system.
For $30 one can get a 7 day unlimited use pass for the entire area. This means you
can hang your bike on a bus & bypass the places you don't want to ride to get
to the places you do. No need to drive with a rack. Just sit back & ENJOY THE
SCENERY. Money saved can go for fun stuff.
You talked me into it McBTC.
P.S. this route isn't exactly flat, Ive done it several times.

Last edited by rawly old; 05-06-16 at 11:20 PM.
Old 05-09-16, 10:25 AM
McBTC

Bikes: 2015 22 Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1543 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 39 Posts
Originally Posted by rawly old
It is hillier than I remembered... I saw this on the web:

[TABLE]
[TR]
[TD][/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD][/TD]
[TD]
Sunday
[/TD]
[TD]
[/TD]
[TD]
Astoria to Cape Kiwanda
[/TD]
[TD]
3,764'
[/TD]
[TD]
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]
[/TD]
[TD]
Monday
[/TD]
[TD]
[/TD]
[TD]
Cape Kiwandato Newport
[/TD]
[TD]
3,500'
[/TD]
[TD]
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]
[/TD]
[TD]
Tuesday
[/TD]
[TD]
[/TD]
[TD]
Newport to Florence
[/TD]
[TD]
2,852'
[/TD]
[TD]
[/TD]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]

With memory still mostly unrefreshed as to the amount of climbing involved, I do remember Jedediah Smith Redwoods State Park outside of Crescent City as being a pistol, being a steep climb to windblown point overlooking the ocean with nothing but a lone water spigot in the middle of a grassy area as the lone improvement.

2016 Oregon Bicycle Tours - Oregon Coast Bike Route - Bike Oregon with Cycling Escapes
Old 05-09-16, 10:41 AM
rawly old

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by McBTC
It is hillier than I remembered... I saw this on the web:

[TABLE]
[TR]
[TD][/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD][/TD]
[TD]
Sunday
[/TD]
[TD]
[/TD]
[TD]
Astoria to Cape Kiwanda
[/TD]
[TD]
3,764'
[/TD]
[TD]
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]
[/TD]
[TD]
Monday
[/TD]
[TD]
[/TD]
[TD]
Cape Kiwandato Newport
[/TD]
[TD]
3,500'
[/TD]
[TD]
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]
[/TD]
[TD]
Tuesday
[/TD]
[TD]
[/TD]
[TD]
Newport to Florence
[/TD]
[TD]
2,852'
[/TD]
[TD]
[/TD]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]

With memory still mostly unrefreshed as to the amount of climbing involved, I do remember Jedediah Smith Redwoods State Park outside of Crescent City as being a pistol, being a steep climb to windblown point overlooking the ocean with nothing but a lone water spigot in the middle of a grassy area as the lone improvement.

2016 Oregon Bicycle Tours - Oregon Coast Bike Route - Bike Oregon with Cycling Escapes
Well to be fair, it is pretty flat from Astoria to Seaside.
Old 05-18-16, 01:05 AM
JohnTechwriter

Bikes: 1955 Cinelli B-Model, 2009 Specialized S-Works Tarmac SL2, 1999 Lemond Zurich

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
January of this year I turned 66. The following month I started riding again after five years off the bike. I didn't overdo it and my body responded well. Now in May I'm good for 50 miles in the hill country around Oakland, CA. My plan is to train through the summer and, after Labor Day, ride up Hwy 97 from CA into Oregon and then take Hwy 58 across the Cascades to end up in Seaside, where my brother and his wife live.

I've been retired since 2012 and my sedentary lifestyle was draining my physical and mental resources. Having been a cyclist most of my life I found this to be a terrifying experience. If it kept up I'd be elderly at 70 and geriatric at 75, if I lived that long.

So it seemed to me I had no choice but to get back on the bike, despite my "advanced" age. I'm happy to say the experience has been overwhelmingly positive. My weight and blood pressure are down, I practically spring out of a chair, I can hold my own with the medium-speed bunch in my club with no problem, and the low-grade depression that set in after retirement has taken a vacation.

Not a whole lot of years may lie before me but nevertheless I once again feel I have a future. Much of it will be devoted to eating healthy, spending quality time with my family, and riding as if my life depended on it. Because it does. I know that now.

Last edited by JohnTechwriter; 05-18-16 at 01:06 AM. Reason: Typo
Old 05-18-16, 09:40 AM
RonH
Life is good

Just got a call from Sherry at the bike shop. She's looking for folks to participate in the "Ride to Work" ride that the locals are doing this Friday. Told her I was on the "disabled" list so couldn't help. I remember when I lived in Atl and worked for the Atlanta Bicycle Coalition that I lead the ride each May from my part of town to downtown Atl. It was kind of fun riding with new folks thru a few unfamiliar neighborhoods.

Old 05-19-16, 08:01 AM
FirstSarnt

Bikes: Specialized Source Expert Disc commuter/hybrid/tourer, Jamis Dakar XCR Comp mountain bike, Burley Duet Tandem

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I hear ya, dude, though I didn't take the long hiatus from riding. I'll be 66 in a few months, and my knees have never been able to tolerate running. My short but frequent and strenuous rides have kept my legs strong, my BP Under control, and my resting pulse at 50, all without medications. I refuse to be like the sedentary, one-foot-in-the-grave geezers I see all around me. It's a state of mind, and it drives the physical response.
Old 05-23-16, 10:14 AM
RonH
Life is good

Ok, here's a question for the older cyclists on here. I sold the wheels from my Cannondale SuperSix EVO Hi-Mod Team bike and ordered new wheels from PSIMet.com (he's a Bike Forums member). It'll be changing from this...

to something like this (I dont have the wheels yet so don't have a real picture).

Can I still call it a "team" bike?

Last edited by RonH; 05-24-16 at 06:30 PM.
Old 05-24-16, 07:55 PM
Stopalot

Bikes: Trek Madone 4.5

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
T W L, Love it! That is my philosophy as well. Sorry to crash as I am ONLY 60 but just love your comment and live it each day.
Old 05-28-16, 09:34 AM
RonH
Life is good

Its been getting hotter here so rather than sweat like a pig (with this body wrap) I decided to go to the air conditioned neighborhood clubhouse and walk on the treadmill. I only walked one mile in 20 minutes but when I got home I was ready to just sit and rest.

Even though this hernia surgery was done laparoscopically, I have been more uncomfortable than after the prostate surgery. Maybe its because the surgeon made 3 "large" incisions whereas with the prostate surgery the urology surgeon made 5 small incisions.
I thought this hernia surgery would be a piece of cake.

Old 05-31-16, 10:50 AM
RonH
Life is good

Saw the surgeon today for my follow-up visit. He said 2 more weeks in the body wrap and them I can ditch it and get back to riding. He also said I can remove it at night. I'll be sleeping much better without this thing.

Still waiting for my new wheels from PSIMet.com. So over the next two weeks I'll be replacing all cables and rebuilding the drivetrain on the Litespeed (new chainrings, new cassette, new chain) and cleaning and lubing both bikes.

Old 06-06-16, 07:24 AM
Lizzy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rollin' again after an auto accident 2 years ago [while in my car], which has left me with increased arthritic pain. Slowly increasing cycling distance every 6 months. Have had to make some changes to my bikes. Riding all I can for as long as I can. I like double or triple-butted chromoly steel bikes, which absorb more road vibration, and 700 x 28c to 35c tires - depending on where i ride. I'm not fast but I'm having fun.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
orig8fb.jpg (105.2 KB, 90 views)
Old 06-06-16, 07:49 AM
Burr
Off your Donkey, lets go

Location: The Gardens, Roses & Orchids. Bulacan The Philippines and Red Mountain, Ca. USA

Bikes: Schwinn Mountain, Diamondback Expert Road & REI Randonee Touring

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Pigs don't sweat!!!
Old 06-06-16, 10:35 AM
Lizzy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
How is everyone dealing with the hot weather?

Last edited by Lizzy; 06-06-16 at 10:39 AM. Reason: Misunderstanding in thread.
Old 06-06-16, 01:54 PM
RonH
Life is good

Originally Posted by Lizzy
How is everyone dealing with the hot weather?
I'm in west central Florida. Most everyone around here rides early (before 7AM) to avoid the heat.

Old 06-08-16, 06:13 AM
RonH
Life is good

Yay!! My new wheels are on the way. Got an email from Robert with the tracking number. FedEx info says they'll be here on Friday. Can't wait to see them and install them on the Cannondale and then wait another week before I can ride.

I'll post pics of the wheels and the bike with the new wheels installed.

Old 06-08-16, 07:47 AM
Fldaves

Bikes: Lynskey R230

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
After consultation with my oncologist at the Moffitt Cancer Center last week she has left it up to me in deciding the date of my surgery(Whipple surgery) as the spot on my pancreas hasn't grown significantly between CT scans. So I delayed it until the week after the 6Gap ride which is a ride I couldn't have done the last few years because of being grossly overweight(380 lbs) and out of shape. Now I can do half centuries+ without hardly getting winded and have dropped over 130lbs!
Old 06-08-16, 08:11 AM
RonH
Life is good

Originally Posted by Fldaves
After consultation with my oncologist at the Moffitt Cancer Center last week she has left it up to me in deciding the date of my surgery(Whipple surgery) as the spot on my pancreas hasn't grown significantly between CT scans. So I delayed it until the week after the 6Gap ride which is a ride I couldn't have done the last few years because of being grossly overweight(380 lbs) and out of shape. Now I can do half centuries+ without hardly getting winded and have dropped over 130lbs!
So sorry to hear about this.
I don't know how advanced your cancer is but from my prostate cancer experience, the diagnosis made me think about my future. It took my wife and myself less than five minutes to decide to remove the prostate as opposed to the other options. I'm now cancer free.

I read about the Whipple procedure and it sounds like a big deal. Are you sure you want to put off the surgery?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.