Search
Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Bianchi San Jose

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-08, 08:10 PM
DudeMan1981

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Freewheel issues

Has anyone else had problems/complications with the rear cog? My chaindrive on my new '08 is variably loose and tight during each revolution. I have disassembled the chaindrive and verified that the pedals, crank, and sprocket run smoothly. I have taken measurements and verified that the chainline is totally straight. That leaves me with the cheap rear cog. It seems to be wiggly... I am considering a White Industries freewheel cog (because of the sealed bearings) and also adding a fixed gear. Does anyone have an opinon or advise?
Old 07-10-08, 08:17 PM
xJAHx

Bikes: Redline Conquest; Salsa Las Cruces; Cannondale Track; Bianchi San Jose

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
There is always some degree of variably loose and tight in all drive trains. Typically, I run my San Jose fixed and associate the change in tension with an imperfect chainring (not 100% round).

As for the WB ENO freewheel, I am using three in the herd, and I have no complaints. Then again, I have no real complaints about the much cheaper shimano freewheels either. The ENO is quite load, which kind of kills the quiet buzz.

JAH
Old 07-20-08, 10:26 AM
1150A

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
How does the San Jose compare to something like the IRO Rob Roy, or Surly Cross Check? I will be running a flip flop hub, and would eventually like to race single speed.

I've read that Surly's are not known as "racing" frames, but how about the Bianchi and IRO?
Old 07-20-08, 03:32 PM
the pope

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You can race anything that abides by the rules of the race. None of the three are very high-end, but are you?

If you want something lighter, maybe help your finishing spot or more likely to score style points then there are a ton of SS singlespeed makers that will take your money. Or Eno an off the shelf higher-end bike.

Search around and see what you need to spend to get the bike you want.

Nothing wrong with starting with a San Jose, though.

Last edited by the pope; 07-20-08 at 10:42 PM.
Old 07-28-08, 12:02 PM
nowheels

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Originally Posted by 1150A
How does the San Jose compare to something like the IRO Rob Roy, or Surly Cross Check? I will be running a flip flop hub, and would eventually like to race single speed.

I've read that Surly's are not known as "racing" frames, but how about the Bianchi and IRO?
Having now had all three of the bikes (Now riding a Rob Roy) you are mentioning.... I would say that the Rob Roy would be the best racing frame. The ride of the San Jose compares well to the Rob Roy as far as the ride, but the Rob Roy is a bit more stable going over junk. The cross check ....... more of an all around bike for my money.

Last edited by nowheels; 07-30-08 at 05:56 AM.

Old 07-28-08, 05:32 PM
flargle

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by xJAHx
Typically, I run my San Jose fixed and associate the change in tension with an imperfect chainring (not 100% round).
Even if the chainring is perfectly round, it is difficult to mount it onto the crank spider so that it is perfectly centered. There is a method for centering the chainring, it requires a certain knack, but works:
https://sheldonbrown.com/fixed-conversion.html#tension

Even then it is impossible to get perfectly uniform chain tension. The best way IMO is to set chain tension so that it is ever so slack at the tightest point. Then you get a nice quiet drivetrain, and if your chainline is correct, you won't ever drop the chain. Of course, that's provided your bottom bracket, rear hub, sprocket, and crank all are in good repair and without any slop in the bearings.
Old 07-28-08, 05:33 PM
flargle

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by nowheels
Having now had all three of the bikes (Now riding a Rob Roy) you are mentioning.... I would say that the Rob Roy would be the best racing frame. The ride of the San Jose compares well to the Rob Roy as far as ride but the Rob Roy is a bit more stable going over junk. The cross check ....... more of an all around bike for my money.
None of the three frames are the lightest in the world. As far as raceability, however, all are comparable. It all depends on how you set them up and, especially, what sort of wheels and tires you use on them.
Old 07-29-08, 04:34 PM
nowheels

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Originally Posted by flargle
None of the three frames are the lightest in the world. As far as raceability, however, all are comparable. It all depends on how you set them up and, especially, what sort of wheels and tires you use on them.
Everything is subjective.......

Old 10-20-09, 02:45 PM
Crack Monkey

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hey gang,

Does anybody know how to service (replace?) the bearings in the stock wheels? Mine are getting pretty grindy and I don't see any obvious way to get the cartridge out of the hub shell.

(Yes, the wheels are cheap, and I'll likely upgrade eventually, but will still want these to be functional)
Old 10-20-09, 03:27 PM
Lithuania
Oh The Huge Manatee

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
mine didnt come with cartridge bearings
Old 10-20-09, 04:58 PM
nickelbus
Yes, I have the memo.

Bikes: SystemSix

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
There is one one CL at $475 I am thinking of pulling the trigger on...
Old 10-20-09, 06:25 PM
Crack Monkey

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Lithuania
mine didnt come with cartridge bearings
What year is yours? Maybe I'm calling them the wrong thing. The bearings are in an enclosed/sealed thing, unlike all my Shimano hubs, where the bearings are loose once axle is pulled out. On these hubs, I can't even pull the axle out.
Old 10-20-09, 09:32 PM
Lithuania
Oh The Huge Manatee

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
mine are loose bearings and i believe its the first year model with the ****ty 120mm hub spaced to 130. pain in the ass
Old 10-21-09, 12:32 PM
NormanF

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
I have 42mm slicks on mine. Swapped the CX tires for road slicks that were faster on the road. So far so good!
Old 06-08-20, 12:44 AM
somepetalhead

Bikes: CROSS CHECK SZ 52 / MEDICI GT

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 9 Posts
going zombie hunting with this post!

bring back the dead!

I have 2 questions for Actual San Jose owners...

1. what cranks work and which wont (is there something i have to look at specially) or will my paul track cranks and work with a appropriate BB? or do i need to just hunt down another crank.

2. what fork options do you have and why are you using it... also is there a better option for fork that people bypass for cost?

thanks