Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

Bought A Used Trek Verve 3 Today

Search
Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-24, 08:15 PM
Lockback

Bikes: Trek Verve 3

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 7 Posts

In a galaxy far, far away in a time long, long ago, I rode a Concord 10-speed. (Concord was a company in Columbus, Ohio, my home town, that imported Japanese bikes.) My best friend and I rode all over as teenagers and had a ball.
By college, I moved on to motorcycles and I owned 10 of them over a period of 50 years. Most were touring/sport touring motorcycles, excellent performers, slight leaned forward position but not a jockey crouch. I did a lot of miles over a lot of years and loved every minute.
But times and health change. Four years ago yesterday, I was coming home from a Caribbean cruise with my wife and suffered a panic attack on the plane flight from Tampa to Columbus. I couldn't catch my breath. As it turns out, and we'll never be totally sure, I had just contracted COVID, although there were no accurate test kits at the time. But my physician told me, "I think you have that new virus we keep hearing about." I got through it okay, after about a week of rest, but then contracted it again in early July and this time was sent to the hospital and ICU for the night and a week-long stay.
I have never fully recovered. My breathing is a struggle sometimes and I've gotten increasingly sedentary the last four years. I'm retired so I don't work and spend most of my time with various hobbies, but none of them at this time require much activity.
My sense of balance was compromised either by COVID or just my age (70) and I finally had to sell my Yamaha FJR1300 motorcycle. I no longer felt totally safe on it. My motorcycle days are over after a half century ...
But two wheels still appeal to me as well as getting into better shape. I'm no exercise maven. In fact, for the most part, I loathe working out. I did do the treadmill thing after COVID upon the insistence of my doctor but I found it almost painfully boring. And quit doing it eventually.
Which leads me here. I haven't owned a bicycle in probably 10 years but am trying to make a commitment to getting out of my recliner and out into the neighborhood and hopefully building up my legs and lungs, slowly but surely.
I did a lot of research once I made my mind up to get a bike and landed on several choices but my local bike shop had a Trek Verve 3 in stock for a price I could afford - my, bike prices have increased over the years!!! - and it seems to fit me reasonably as well as my budget and so I pulled the trigger today, threw it in the back of our SUV and brought it home, re-attached the front wheel and went for a short ride.
Keep in mind I'm used to huge 680-pound motorcycles with windscreens, fairings, etc. I feel naked and twitchy on a bicycle now! I felt like I was skating on ice, wobbly and unsure.
But I know it will come back. I've been there before and I can get it back. Certainly not where I was a long time ago but good enough to run some errands and explore my suburban neighborhood. That wobbliness will get better, my confidence will grow.
I'm looking forward to it and thanks for allowing me to share my rambling thoughts.
Likes For Lockback:
Old 03-02-24, 09:16 PM
cb400bill
Forum Moderator

Bikes: Fuji SL2.1 Carbon Di2 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 4 Trek Checkpoint ALR-5 Viscount Aerospace Pro Colnago Classic Rabobank Schwinn Waterford PMount Raleigh C50 Cromoly Hybrid Legnano Tipo Roma Pista

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 3091 Post(s)
Liked 6,601 Times in 3,785 Posts
Welcome to Bike Forums from a former motorcyclist. I still have one but it hasn't moved in years.

Keep riding. It gets better the more that you do!

Likes For cb400bill:
Old 03-03-24, 08:18 AM
freeranger

Bikes: 06 Lemond Reno, 98 GT Timberline mtn.bike

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 427 Post(s)
Liked 700 Times in 436 Posts
Also a former motorcycle rider, and have switched over to bicycles (different reason tho). Have fun on the new activity, and it'll all come back to ya, it's, well you know, like.............
Old 03-03-24, 02:56 PM
Trav1s
Deraill this!

Bikes: 18 Cdale Quick 1, 94 S-Works M2, 98 730 Multitrak, and a few others

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Liked 434 Times in 251 Posts
Welcome from Columbus (Westerville) and congrats on the new bicycle!

My wife has a Verve 3 really likes it. Definitely a solid and stable bike... a bit boring for me but it's not mine. I have made some upgrades along the way without telling her including pedal, saddle, and v brakes which have made it a better fit for her. She's not one for long rides but enjoys the 6-10 milers on in it pretty regularly. I have a tire upgrade on the radar but she has no idea...

Give yourself time to adapt to the feel of the bike and you will be fine.

Last edited by Trav1s; 03-03-24 at 03:47 PM.
Old 03-04-24, 09:51 AM
Lockback

Thanks!
Grove City here.
Yes, it will take me some time to get used to a bicycle again after half a century of motorcycles but I'm enjoying it so far. My legs were burning yesterday from a ride so it will take me some time to get into shape but that's part of the journey.
I'm not crazy about the pedals at all and will swap them out. Same probably with the saddle. But everything else works for me so far.
I see you have a Cannondale Quick. Nice bike, one that I looked at.
Likes For Lockback:
Old 03-04-24, 07:29 PM
Trav1s
Deraill this!

If you are curious, these are my go to flat pedal choice - https://www.raceface.com/products/ri...31913987276882

Another option are the Shimano PD-EF202 Pedals https://ride.shimano.com/products/pd-ef202

I replaced the EF202s on the Quick with the RF Rides this winter and moved the EF202 to an old Trek 730 project. Both are great pedals and I like them for different reasons.

I lucked into the Quick and really enjoy it, especially after my recent tire change.
Old 03-04-24, 07:45 PM
Lockback

Originally Posted by cb400bill
Welcome to Bike Forums from a former motorcyclist. I still have one but it hasn't moved in years.

Keep riding. It gets better the more that you do!
I will!
I've made the mental commitment. And when I do that, I don't give up easily.
I took another ride today, the third straight day. And every ride has gotten better.
Likes For Lockback:
Old 03-04-24, 07:49 PM
Lockback

Originally Posted by Trav1s
If you are curious, these are my go to flat pedal choice -

Another option are the Shimano PD-EF202 Pedals

I replaced the EF202s on the Quick with the RF Rides this winter and moved the EF202 to an old Trek 730 project. Both are great pedals and I like them for different reasons.

I lucked into the Quick and really enjoy it, especially after my recent tire change.
Thanks a lot! I appreciate the feedback. The Bontrager pedals that come stock on it just aren't floating my boat so far ...
I've heard good things about the Quick. So glad you like it.
Old 03-04-24, 07:52 PM
Lockback

Originally Posted by freeranger
Also a former motorcycle rider, and have switched over to bicycles (different reason tho). Have fun on the new activity, and it'll all come back to ya, it's, well you know, like.............
Ha! Yeah ... it's well ... like ...
And thanks. It's coming back to me already. It's amazing how much improvement I've seen in only two days.
Old 03-31-24, 12:17 PM
Lockback

I'm really enjoying the bike except for two things:
1) The weather has been very hit and miss. Although not unusual for this time of year it's still disappointing. One day it will be 65 degrees and partly sunny, the next it's 42 and rain. Ugh. Ugly.
2) COVID. It made a return visit to me this week, just as we had some nice weather. So I didn't get a chance to take take advantage of a few very nice days. And next week looks pretty lousy. By the time I get to ride again, I'll be essentially starting over again trying to get into shape ...
Old 04-01-24, 08:22 AM
Aubergine 
Bad example

Bikes: Peugeot: AO-8 1973, PA-10 1971, PR-10 1973, Sante 1988; Masi Gran Criterium 1975, Stevenson Tourer 1980, Stevenson Criterium 1981, Schwinn Paramount 1972, Rodriguez 2006, Gitane Federal ~1975, Holdsworth Pro, Follis 172 ~1973, Bianchi '62

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 826 Post(s)
Liked 213 Times in 97 Posts
Originally Posted by Lockback
I'm really enjoying the bike except for two things:
1) The weather has been very hit and miss. Although not unusual for this time of year it's still disappointing. One day it will be 65 degrees and partly sunny, the next it's 42 and rain. Ugh. Ugly.
2) COVID. It made a return visit to me this week, just as we had some nice weather. So I didn't get a chance to take take advantage of a few very nice days. And next week looks pretty lousy. By the time I get to ride again, I'll be essentially starting over again trying to get into shape ...
oh geeze, you are snakebit by that virus. Hope you recover quickly and get back on your bike.
Old 04-09-24, 07:16 PM
Lockback

Originally Posted by Aubergine
oh geeze, you are snakebit by that virus. Hope you recover quickly and get back on your bike.
Thanks! Luckily, it passed after about 5 days, aided by some Paxlovid and lots of rest.
Likes For Lockback:
Old 04-17-24, 10:21 AM
Axeman1959
Axe

Bikes: Trek

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
The TREK Verve 3 is a great Hybrid Bike and for whats its Made for,,,, I really like the way TREK has evolved over the years from my first TREK in 1996 930 single that i made into a commuter bike with Rino tires and bags for my gear.. I rode that first TREK 22 years along with my GIANT Road bike as a ALT.... I too now after shoulder and wrest surgeries have a TREK VERVE 3 and the upright position really keeps me riding today @ 65 yrs old in my local areas..
Likes For Axeman1959:
Old 04-18-24, 07:49 PM
Lockback

Originally Posted by Axeman1959
The TREK Verve 3 is a great Hybrid Bike and for whats its Made for,,,, I really like the way TREK has evolved over the years from my first TREK in 1996 930 single that i made into a commuter bike with Rino tires and bags for my gear.. I rode that first TREK 22 years along with my GIANT Road bike as a ALT.... I too now after shoulder and wrest surgeries have a TREK VERVE 3 and the upright position really keeps me riding today @ 65 yrs old in my local areas..
I'm really impressed with mine. Between some medical issues and bad weather I haven't gotten on it as much as I'd like but that will come. I like the riding position (although I confess the saddle doesn't float my boat). I'm still looking into changing out the pedals and, yeah, maybe the saddle but the rest of the bike is just about perfect for me.
Old 04-18-24, 07:58 PM
Lockback

If anybody has any suggestions for good pedals and a replacement saddle for the Verve 3, I'm all ears.
I don't want to spend a ton of money. But we all know how an uncomfortable saddle can ruin your day. Oh, and are there any rules of them about how high the seat should be relationship to body height or perhaps the bars?
Old 04-18-24, 08:04 PM
Lockback

Just a couple of pics ...

Likes For Lockback:
Old 04-18-24, 08:59 PM
Trav1s
Deraill this!

Pedals = Raceface Ride or Shimano EF102 composite or EF202 aluminum

Saddle = highly personal

Saddle height https://www.globalcyclingnetwork.com...-saddle-height

Last edited by Trav1s; 04-19-24 at 04:49 AM.
Likes For Trav1s:
Old 04-19-24, 04:47 AM
hokiefyd 

Bikes: More bikes than riders

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1446 Post(s)
Liked 762 Times in 570 Posts
Beautiful color on that Verve!!
Likes For hokiefyd:
Old 04-21-24, 05:50 PM
Lockback

Originally Posted by Trav1s
Pedals = Raceface Ride or Shimano EF102 composite or EF202 aluminum

Saddle = highly personal

Saddle height https://www.globalcyclingnetwork.com...-saddle-height
Thanks for the info! Much appreciated.
Likes For Lockback:
Old 04-21-24, 05:52 PM
Lockback

Originally Posted by hokiefyd
Beautiful color on that Verve!!
Thanks! I think they call it a shade of Teal. Whatever it is, I like it. Blue has always been my favorite color.