Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

butt care regiments?

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

butt care regiments?

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-09, 01:29 PM
tgrssn

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
butt care regiments?

hey all.

i'm a newb. i just got back from doing my second long distance ride. i rode from tempe to tucson to bisbee, az. i did about 120 miles day one, and 50 miles days two and three. i felt strong the whole time. except for some pain behind my right kneecap, my sunburn, and the fact that my a** was literally on fire days two and three i felt like i could ride 100 miles if i got up early enough. i got the knee pain thing narrowed down. i've been through knee pain before and i know to rest up and tweek my riding position. but this a*ss chapping is something new to me. i'd like to get it figured out so that i don't have to suffer this sort of problem anymore.

what do you all do to take care of your butts when you ride. spare no details. keep in mind that i'm a newb and assume that i know absolutely nothing about correct clothing, butt products, etc.
Old 11-03-09, 01:46 PM
jabantik00

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
what do you think is the problem? could it be your saddle, your shorts, dirt/infection, or general sensitivity of your nether regions?

if you are looking for a chamois cream, i think you can do a search and find lots of threads on what people like to use. i like a&d ointment, but it leaves a funny odor. others have good success with noxema, bag balm, monkeybutt powder, chamois cream, chamois butt'r, etc.

if it's your shorts or saddle, perhaps try some new ones from a place with a liberal return policy, such as rei.

or perhaps you just need some more big mileage days to build up toughness down there? keep it clean, and apply ointment/chamois cream before it hurts. good luck
Old 11-03-09, 01:52 PM
tgrssn

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jabantik00
what do you think is the problem? could it be your saddle, your shorts, dirt/infection, or general sensitivity of your nether regions?

if you are looking for a chamois cream, i think you can do a search and find lots of threads on what people like to use. i like a&d ointment, but it leaves a funny odor. others have good success with noxema, bag balm, monkeybutt powder, chamois cream, chamois butt'r, etc.

if it's your shorts or saddle, perhaps try some new ones from a place with a liberal return policy, such as rei.

or perhaps you just need some more big mileage days to build up toughness down there? keep it clean, and apply ointment/chamois cream before it hurts. good luck
the problem was a burning/chafing. no real 'soreness' worth mentioning. i googled and learned about chamois cream. i'd never heard of that stuff so i wonder if it would have helped.
Old 11-03-09, 01:54 PM
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1350 Post(s)
Liked 1,245 Times in 623 Posts
Originally Posted by tgrssn
the problem was a burning/chafing. no real 'soreness' worth mentioning. i googled and learned about chamois cream. i'd never heard of that stuff so i wonder if it would have helped.
Yes....

Old 11-03-09, 01:55 PM
jabantik00

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
searching bikeforums for chamois cream will yield more relevant results. i think a lot of people like a&d ointment and noxema as low-cost alternatives to the pricier stuff like assos
Old 11-03-09, 03:07 PM
semperfi1970

Bikes: trek 4800, trek 4300, trek 1.5, nashbar touring frame build, 1985 takara medalion, 1982 motobicane mirage sport and a few pieced together rigs

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
In the words of the late and great Red Fox "you got to wash your ass"
Old 11-03-09, 03:07 PM
LeeG

Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 64 Posts
all that stuff will help, and so will butt time on the saddle. I bet if you asked tour de france riders if their butts are sore they'd say "so?" Basically you take the pain from acute to chronic and tolerable.
Old 11-03-09, 03:10 PM
clint262

Bikes: Giant OCR3, Burley Tamburello, Specialized Allez jr

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have heard of others using the Noxemas and such. I use the chaois butt'r (butt butt'r). Having the right saddle is huge, but having a good pair of shorts can mean everything. I wasnt a believer of $100.00 plus dollars shorts, until i rode in pair on my first multi day. They made such a difference, I took them into the shower and washed them out so i could wear them again on day 2.
Old 11-03-09, 03:16 PM
cbchess
Map maker

Bikes: Ventana El Ciclon, Walt Works 29er, Specialized Enduro (fixed up for my son).

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I like pearl izumi brand shorts (padded) for long rides.

and of course my Brooks Saddles.
Old 11-03-09, 03:29 PM
tgrssn

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by semperfi1970
In the words of the late and great Red Fox "you got to wash your ass"
dude, i wash it hella good. i carry a small squeeze bottle of harsh, chemical, dial antibacterial hand soap. my girlfriend calls it my ocd body wash. my ass is so clean you could eat off it.

honestly, i do sweat a lot though. maybe this is a weird thing to admit but none of you know me so i don't care. i put antiperspirant on my butt to keep it from sweating too much. i find that it helps some w/ the chafing. the sweatier i get the worse the burning is so i think there is a correlation.
Old 11-03-09, 03:34 PM
clint262

Bikes: Giant OCR3, Burley Tamburello, Specialized Allez jr

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I ride with others who are "heavy sweater types" like you describe. Sugoi RS shorts and the chamois butt'r is what i wear/use as well as several people i ride with. Long mileage days are not a "pain in the butt" for us.
Old 11-03-09, 03:36 PM
tgrssn

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by clint262
I have heard of others using the Noxemas and such. I use the chaois butt'r (butt butt'r). Having the right saddle is huge, but having a good pair of shorts can mean everything. I wasnt a believer of $100.00 plus dollars shorts, until i rode in pair on my first multi day. They made such a difference, I took them into the shower and washed them out so i could wear them again on day 2.
i got pearl izumi "attack" shorts for 80 bucks in tucson thinking they'd help. i swear they made it worse. i wore them sans undies and everything. the padding was nice for all of about 20 miles and then the pad inside starting chafing that fold between my gluts and the tops of my hamstrings.
Old 11-03-09, 04:28 PM
truman
It's true, man.

Bikes: Cannondale T1000, Inbred SS 29er, Supercaliber 29er, Crescent Mark XX, Burley Rumba Tandem

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i got pearl izumi "attack" shorts for 80 bucks in tucson thinking they'd help. i swear they made it worse. i wore them sans undies and everything. the padding was nice for all of about 20 miles and then the pad inside starting chafing that fold between my gluts and the tops of my hamstrings.
They do the same thing to me. The PI shorts with the microsensor pad, however, is awesome. I've done a double on a rainy day in them and the part of me that didn't hurt afterward was my butt
Old 11-03-09, 04:33 PM
Cyclebum

Bikes: Tour Easy, Linear USS, Lightening Thunderbolt, custom DF, Raleigh hybrid, Felt time trial

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The right saddle, good padded shorts, and the lube of your choice. Should solve the chafing. After that, it's stand and pedal for a minute or two to relieve the pressure that restricts blood flow and causes that aching pain. Time in the saddle may help some, may not.
Old 11-03-09, 04:40 PM
sstorkel

Bikes: Cervelo RS, Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Pro, Schwinn Typhoon, Nashbar touring, custom steel MTB

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I have a good pair of bib shorts that fit well and a saddle that fits my butt. For me, that's all I need to ride 70-80 miles day for a week, or maybe more.
Old 11-03-09, 04:59 PM
Thulsadoom

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac Expert, 2002 TREK 520, Schwinn Mesa WINTER BIKE, Huffy Rock Creek 29er, 1970s-era Ross ten speed. All my bikes are highly modified(except the Tarmac) yet functional, and generally look beat to ****. .

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked 88 Times in 51 Posts
Originally Posted by LeeG
all that stuff will help, and so will butt time on the saddle. I bet if you asked tour de france riders if their butts are sore they'd say "so?" Basically you take the pain from acute to chronic and tolerable.
100 percent agree. You can use all the ointments and padded shorts and saddles and whatever, but if you don't have a good thick couple of callouses under your sit bones, you're going to suffer. After a good bike fit and a good saddle, you've just got to toughen up the butt if you want to be comfortable on a tour, or any long ride. Even then, if it's an uncharacteristic long ride, you can still expect some discomfort.
Old 11-03-09, 05:17 PM
tgrssn

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Thulsadoom
100 percent agree. You can use all the ointments and padded shorts and saddles and whatever, but if you don't have a good thick couple of callouses under your sit bones, you're going to suffer. After a good bike fit and a good saddle, you've just got to toughen up the butt if you want to be comfortable on a tour, or any long ride. Even then, if it's an uncharacteristic long ride, you can still expect some discomfort.
haha. okay. maybe i'll just drag my bare ass around on some hot gravel.
Old 11-03-09, 05:18 PM
NoReg
Banned

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Brooks saddle; no underwear some kind of fiberpile lined pants, usually home made; peneten cream anywhere I think there might be chafe. Haven't had much discomfort. When I can shower I wash up and add clean away the cream and treat anything sore with polysporin.
Old 11-03-09, 05:44 PM
Thulsadoom

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac Expert, 2002 TREK 520, Schwinn Mesa WINTER BIKE, Huffy Rock Creek 29er, 1970s-era Ross ten speed. All my bikes are highly modified(except the Tarmac) yet functional, and generally look beat to ****. .

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked 88 Times in 51 Posts
haha. okay. maybe i'll just drag my bare ass around on some hot gravel.
Just don't say that I recommended that when you put it on Youtube.
Old 11-03-09, 06:10 PM
wolfpack 
Rawwrrrrrrrrr!

Bikes: 2009 Specialized Ruby Sworks SL w/SRAM Red; 2006 Fuji Team RC; 2008 Felt F1x; 1980's Lotus Excelle; Mangusta FG/SS; Rossin (yet to be built up)

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by clint262
I ride with others who are "heavy sweater types" like you describe. Sugoi RS shorts and the chamois butt'r is what i wear/use as well as several people i ride with. Long mileage days are not a "pain in the butt" for us.
+1 on the Sugoi shorts. i use (or used to) the RS Flex shorts....solved my butt pain problems. moved on to Giordana Lazer shorts/bibs. never use any butt butt'r. also, saddle can play a huge roll in butt comfort. i used to use the Terry Butterfly, but too much padding...now use the Bontrager Inform RL saddle, minimal padding and i have no problems riding 75+ miles. (well, i do if i haven't been riding for a while, which seems to be the case lately. )
Old 11-03-09, 06:18 PM
danarnold
Kaffee Nazi

Bikes: 2009 Kestrel RT800, 2007 Roubaix, 1976 Lambert-Viscount

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
"Butt Care Regiments?" The US Army will not admit they have a Butt Care regiment. Maybe the French Foreign Legion will. Iran and the Greeks definitely have Butt Care regiments, butt they won't admit it.

"Don't ask. Don't tell."
Old 11-03-09, 06:49 PM
Condorita
Grammar Cop

Bikes: in my sig line

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by danarnold
"Butt Care Regiments?" The US Army will not admit they have a Butt Care regiment. Maybe the French Foreign Legion will. Iran and the Greeks definitely have Butt Care regiments, butt they won't admit it.

"Don't ask. Don't tell."
Dang! Someone beat me to it.
Old 11-03-09, 06:53 PM
danarnold
Kaffee Nazi

Bikes: 2009 Kestrel RT800, 2007 Roubaix, 1976 Lambert-Viscount

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Condorita
English is not our national language.
Old 11-03-09, 07:53 PM
badger1

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1581 Post(s)
Liked 1,189 Times in 605 Posts
Originally Posted by Condorita
Moi aussi; I was (just now) looking forward to this one!
Old 11-03-09, 08:07 PM
tgrssn

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
gonna try the creme and the sugoi shorts this weekend. i'm also gonna shave. i imagine that might help. thanks all.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.