Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Retiring in Florida + Enjoy Cycling? The Sunshine State is Deadly

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-15, 05:35 AM
oddjob2
Still learning

Bikes: Still a garage full

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 847 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 44 Posts

I can't pull up the article in the Palm Beach Post, but the base report from the Center for Disease Control is available at this link.

Must be all those drivers rushing for an early bird dinner that put cyclists in peril. Be careful!
Old 08-14-15, 06:00 AM
OldsCOOL

Bikes: '77 Colnago Super, '76 Fuji The Finest, '88 Cannondale Criterium, '86 Trek 760, '87 Miyata 712

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Liked 595 Times in 313 Posts
I think I'll stay up here, thanx.
Old 08-14-15, 06:04 AM
qcpmsame 
Semper Fi

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 1172 Post(s)
Liked 358 Times in 241 Posts
Originally Posted by OldsCOOL
I think I'll stay up here, thanx.
Good!, why do you think we have the papers print up these stories, it makes for less crowding on our roads by the Damnyankees, and other such vermin.(It is one word you know!)

Bill, the life long Floridian.

I Can Do All Things Through Him, Who Gives Me Strength. Philippians 4:13

Old 08-14-15, 06:08 AM
OldsCOOL

Bikes: '77 Colnago Super, '76 Fuji The Finest, '88 Cannondale Criterium, '86 Trek 760, '87 Miyata 712

Originally Posted by qcpmsame
Good!, why do you think we have the papers print up these stories, it makes for less crowding on our roads by the Damnyankees, and other such vermin.(It is one word you know!)

Bill, the life long Floridian.
What bothers me most about Fl are the many things that crawl down there. Then there are the snakes.
Old 08-14-15, 06:24 AM
RonH
Life is good

Bikes: 2018 Lynskey Helix Pro

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 522 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
Around my neck of the woods (west central Florida) the ones who are "rushing" are under 50. I don't think they're rushing to the "early bird dinners".

I am a cyclist. I am not the fastest or the fittest. But I will get to where I'm going with a smile on my face.
Old 08-14-15, 06:28 AM
qcpmsame 
Semper Fi

Snakes, another name for the Damnyankees. Venomous creatures that silently, or rattling their bones, as they come up on you, to bite you (or run over you, but usually they are slowly driving along on the left lane, whilst looking at their smartphones for an IMPORTANT text message, or a search for the nearest early bird dinner special.) I digress, its almost Labor Day, and the Snow birds all are loading up to take over the beaches, and fill up the rentals and condos, that block off access to the Gulf.

Bill, the frustrated Floridian

I live in Northwest Florida, or as they call it LA. A different world from your part of Florida, Ron, not even close to what you are putting up with.

Old 08-14-15, 06:34 AM
RonH
Life is good

Snakes, another name for the Damnyankees. Venomous creatures that silently, or rattling their bones, as they come up on you, to bite you (or run over you, but usually they are slowly driving along on the left lane, whilst looking at their smartphones for an IMPORTANT text message, or a search for the nearest early bird dinner special.) I digress, its almost Labor Day, and the Snow birds all are loading up to take over the beaches, and fill up the rentals and condos, that block off access to the Gulf.

I live in Northwest Florida, or as they call it LA. A different world from your part of Florida, Ron, not even close to what you are putting up with.
We were some of the "snakes" that came down your way (Panama City Beach) in 2009 when we were remodeling our house in Atlanta. Very nice up your way.

You're right about them heading down this way very soon. Not looking forward to it. They clog the roads and take up all the parking spaces at the Withlacoochee Trail.

I am a cyclist. I am not the fastest or the fittest. But I will get to where I'm going with a smile on my face.

Last edited by RonH; 08-14-15 at 08:04 AM.
Old 08-14-15, 08:02 AM
Miami Biker

Bikes: 2018 Cervelo R5 DA Zipp 404s 2014 Cervelo R5, 2012 Scott Metrix 10 Hybrid

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 10 Posts
Living in South Florida now coming on 7 years have to say depressing Florida's mortality rate is highest in country. Given our drivers down here not totally surprised. Many from other countries where traffic signs are mere suggestions and heads are buried in phones. Lane change stalks are like an appendix--there but not used!

Most deaths seem to be on Key Biscayne very early in the morning when riders start when still dark in morning and younger drivers coming home from long night out still high on their addiction of choice. Changes are being made to improve roads in Key Biscayne where there are 5,000 Strava users.

All good drivers are welcome here regardless of where you come from...
Old 08-14-15, 08:07 AM
RonH
Life is good

Bill, I forget to mention that my wife and I call them carpetbaggers. Seems they invaded the south once before.

Old 08-14-15, 08:24 AM
Biker395 
Seat Sniffer

Bikes: Serotta Legend Ti; 2006 Schwinn Fastback Pro and 1996 Colnago Decor Super C96; 2003 Univega Alpina 700; 2000 Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 945 Post(s)
Liked 1,990 Times in 569 Posts
I have some bike advocate friends in Florida, and they stories they tell me are consistent with the meme.

It's a damn shame. With flat terrain and warm weather, Florida should be one of the best places to ride a bike, not the worst.

Old 08-14-15, 10:06 AM
Miami Biker

Bikes: 2018 Cervelo R5 DA Zipp 404s 2014 Cervelo R5, 2012 Scott Metrix 10 Hybrid

Originally Posted by Biker395
I have some bike advocate friends in Florida, and they stories they tell me are consistent with the meme.

It's a damn shame. With flat terrain and warm weather, Florida should be one of the best places to ride a bike, not the worst.
Oh it is a great place to ride. We tend to bike south which puts us in Homestead near Air Force base which is surrounded by tree farms so little traffic. Sometimes we go to Everglades Park which goes through Redlands, an original farming area, although some drivers don't like bikers in Redlands.

Big reason for riding in a group. Our group has 40-60 riders on Saturdays going 21+ MPH averaging 18-19 with safety first goal. On Tuesdays and Thursday's ride only in farm land going up to high 20s for racers. The rest of us average 20+ with about 25 riders leaving at 7am these days.
Old 08-14-15, 10:09 AM
Biker395 
Seat Sniffer

Bikes: Serotta Legend Ti; 2006 Schwinn Fastback Pro and 1996 Colnago Decor Super C96; 2003 Univega Alpina 700; 2000 Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 945 Post(s)
Liked 1,990 Times in 569 Posts
Originally Posted by Miami Biker
Oh it is a great place to ride. We tend to bike south which puts us in Homestead near Air Force base which is surrounded by tree farms so little traffic. Sometimes we go to Everglades Park which goes through Redlands, an original farming area, although some drivers don't like bikers in Redlands.

Big reason for riding in a group. Our group has 40-60 riders on Saturdays going 21+ MPH averaging 18-19 with safety first goal. On Tuesdays and Thursday's ride only in farm land going up to high 20s for racers. The rest of us average 20+ with about 25 riders leaving at 7am these days.
^ That's great to hear!

Frankly, I'm always a little suspect when a claim is made that people in one area are substantially different than they are anywhere else. My ethos is that deep down, people are all the same until proven otherwise ... it's their circumstances that account for the differences.

Old 08-14-15, 01:30 PM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2604 Post(s)
Liked 1,933 Times in 1,213 Posts
There's a spot near the mall in my town (not in FL) I desperately try to avoid between 10:30-2:00. All the retirees get out to go to the cafeteria, see their doctors, chat with friends, etc., and then pull out into the left lane or cross the road in fast idle.

The times I've been in Florida, that also describes a third of the drivers there. Another third was cars full of kids looking for the local tourist traps, swerving to pull into a McDonalds, etc. The last third were in a hurry to get somewhere before the next text came or their cell phone battery ran down.

The rest of the drivers were pretty good, though.
Old 08-14-15, 03:25 PM
Fldaves

Bikes: Lynskey R230

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Fortunately I live close to the Suncoast bike trail north of Tampa. It's safe, well maintained and for Florida it offers some chances to use some "hill gears".
Old 08-14-15, 04:00 PM
TheManShow
Banned

Bikes: Old rusty bucket of bolts

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Florida is a very big state and like California can not be judged by say Los Angeles. There are rural parts of the state where you can ride, and not be in fear of your life. Lived in Miami BC aka know as before Cuba immigrant invasion that happened after Bay of Pig and Castro Bros taking over from Batista. Believe that was 62, 63ish and I left in 58.

Negatives are Big A**ed Eastern Diamondback Rattlers, Coral Snakes, Bicycle Eating Pythons Water Moccains. Too many bugs, too humid, huricanes, too much rain.

Positives are near Ocean, Great Sea Food, Great Barbque, Great Ethnic Foods, Good Public Transportation, Great Cigars, I belive no State Income Tax, Rush Limbaught lives there, Great Greek Food Tarpon Springs, Jacksonville has Mayo Clinic, lots of VA Hospitals & Clinics all over Florida, Key Lime Pie.
Attached Images
Old 08-14-15, 04:20 PM
OldsCOOL

This is the time of year the hoardes of Florida travel here for the summer.
Old 08-14-15, 06:50 PM
BigAura

Bikes: all steel stable: surly world troller, paris sport fixed, fuji ss

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 623 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 33 Posts
People are killed everywhere while cycling Always ride defensively, with positive awareness, and you're less likely to be a statistic.
Old 08-14-15, 06:53 PM
oddjob2
Still learning

Bikes: Still a garage full

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 847 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 44 Posts
This is the time of year the hoardes of Florida travel here for the summer.
Aren't they really Michigan folk, except for permanent resident/income tax purposes?
Old 08-14-15, 06:56 PM
trackhub

Bikes: Bridgestone RB-1. Nicely restored

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
I have been hearing for years that the Sunshine State is one of the most deadly for cyclists, and that the attitude toward cyclists
is one of the worst. Besides blue hairs in enormous old Buicks, what is the primary cause?
Old 08-14-15, 06:57 PM
OldsCOOL

Originally Posted by oddjob2
Aren't they really Michigan folk, except for permanent resident/income tax purposes?
They all drive Cadillacs, pull out in front of you and drive 27mph. And eat copious amounts of Murdick's Fudge.
Old 08-14-15, 07:10 PM
Miami Biker

Love how some folks have it all figured out based on, on, on not sure what. Entertaining anyways.

We DO send all crazies to Michigan so watch out OldsCOOL.

Hey, on our first date my future wife and I agreed we'd never want to move to Florida and now we love it. Guess we're just like all of you from up North!
Old 08-14-15, 07:41 PM
B. Carfree

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 509 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by BigAura
People are killed everywhere while cycling Always ride defensively, with positive awareness, and you're less likely to be a statistic.
And even more of them are killed while driving. At least we're doing something fun and healthy.
Old 08-15-15, 12:01 PM
SlowSpinner
Yes it is a paradox

Bikes: Trek, Orbea,Specilized

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
LA Lower Alabama?

Old 08-15-15, 12:25 PM
TheManShow
Banned

Bikes: Old rusty bucket of bolts

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
They all drive Cadillacs, pull out in front of you and drive 27mph. And eat copious amounts of Murdick's Fudge.

Phoenix & Tuscon have more than a fair amount of retirees, and snowbird retirees who flock here in winter when home like Colordao, Utah, Montana, Minnesota, Nebraska, Minnesota, Wisconsin, etc. Gets too cold, and the wealthy retirees come to AZ to get out of the snow.

They drive fo doo doo bring all their bad driving habits with them. Some teorrize use who live here year round with their Golf Car never stoping for a stop sign, and flipping off anyone who onk at them.

The the armadas of baseball fans show up for spring training and more troble for us full timers. Road are over crowded, resturants have lines, doctor are busy. Bumper Stickers like: Too many snowbirds, need more freezer space say it all.

Florida use to have armadas of wealthy NEW YORKERS coming to Miami Beach in winter when I was a kid. Same BS just different. They were loud, obnoxious, and were fixated with orange juice.

Florida & Arizona have been over run with old people, some good some bad. Same problem in both places, just different faces.

Daily Show did a very funny bit years ago about the elderly in Florida. It was call Dirty Birds.

https://thedailyshow.cc.com/videos/ff...y-bird-special
Old 08-15-15, 08:21 PM
qcpmsame 
Semper Fi

Yes the LA reference was a poor attempt at some humor, my DI asked us how many were from LA, I stupidly put my hand up, but I've remembered that silly line the rest of my life. (The DI said I was right, but I had best not ever volunteer things ever again. I learned to keep my eyes and ears wide open, and my mouth shut, unless I was directly asked a question.)

I have lived here my entire life and actually its not what many make it out to be up here in the panhandle, especially over at the western border with Alabama. I am about 1-2 miles from the Styx River, the western border, a rural area with lots of farming. Even along the Gulf and the many bays it isn't bad, if you are alert, a careful, non-idiot rider that learned to ride correctly no one messes with you. Kids with "smartphones" texting are probably the most dangerous, followed by the drunks.

Yes we have some deaths of our friends and fellow cyclist, but I haven't had the bad experiences so many have posted about. I have read the statistics about the ratio of deaths per cyclist/per mile, and its mostly in the Southeast that has the worst problems. I haven't been to that area so I am not going to act like an expert about it, I simply do not know. Northwest Florida (or LA) is a great place to live and ride, if you can put up with the politics, not going to go any further there, I do not participate, or discuss politics in any way form or fashion.) I feel for the families of those killed, or injured while cycling, driver awareness, and cyclist being wise to the ways of road riding, need ot be first order things to be put forward.

The club I am a member of, West Florida Wheelmen, is active in Bicycle Safety and awareness, has some lobbying activities, I appreciate being a member of this club. We all need to become activist for everyone to make things work for cyclist, drivers and pedestrians.

Feel free to flame me for anything, this thread will most likely get moved to A&S, where it will die a painful death.

Bill

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.