Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Training & Nutrition
Reload this Page >

Pulled Hamstring with a hilly ride coming up.

Search
Notices
Training & Nutrition Learn how to develop a training schedule that's good for you. What should you eat and drink on your ride? Learn everything you need to know about training and nutrition here.

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-10, 06:40 PM
indybiker01
I hate carnies

Bikes: Cannodale 2008 CAAD 9. Dura Ace components. Velocity Wheelsets. Selle Italia Carbino Saddle. Richey carbon components

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

While playing basketball tonight I came up limp with a pulled hamstring. I have had one once before and this seems more mild of a case. However, i remember trying to go out and play basketball a few days later and made the pull even worse.
Is there anything I can do besides heat and ice to get this thing ready for bloomington's hilly hundred? Would a massage be beneficial? I dont want to travel and pay the expense to not be able to participate.i will try to get on the bike tomorrow during lunch and see how I feel but I am afraid this will be even more sore tomorrow morning. I am all about the htfu, I played 8 years of rugby. With rugby though I could forget my pain by inflicting greater pain on others. That made it feel better. Any ideas or suggestions appreciated.
Old 10-07-10, 07:17 PM
Lamp-Shade
Bulimic Arsonist.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Research prolotherapy.
Old 10-07-10, 08:01 PM
indybiker01
I hate carnies

Bikes: Cannodale 2008 CAAD 9. Dura Ace components. Velocity Wheelsets. Selle Italia Carbino Saddle. Richey carbon components

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Interesting stuff lamp-shade. May be a little extreme for an amatuer rider. But for those that have chronic pain i can see where that can be a game changer
Old 10-07-10, 08:40 PM
downtube42

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Gen 3, Soma Fog Cutter, Focus Mares AL, Detroit Bikes Sparrow FG, Volae Team, Nimbus MUni

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 896 Post(s)
Liked 2,065 Times in 1,081 Posts
I thought I pulled a hamstring just a couple days before a 400k brevet this summer but it turned out fine. On the other hand I've had a pulled hamstring that had me on the sidelines for weeks. You're right, if it's really injured then it will easily get worse. I'd say if it still hurts Friday night this would be a year to skip the Hilly.
Old 10-09-10, 04:37 PM
cappuccino911
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
massage probably won't help and could make it worse. this post is a couple of days old, how is it feeling now? light pedaling of the bike would be good because that will stimulate blood flow to the area. also heat may provide some relieve as well
Old 10-09-10, 06:59 PM
Lamp-Shade
Bulimic Arsonist.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
So I've basically been unable to walk properly for the majority of the year due to tendon problems induced by quinolones. I did not start getting better until I started prolotherapy, and I get better with each treatment. It is really not a big deal, yet it is the only treatment for connective tissue that actually rebuilds and strengthens, instead of killing pain and weakening.
The reason I brought it up is because you mentioned this has happened before. It's really not a big deal, and it will prevent the injury from becoming chronic.
Big ups for it. Hell, everyone looking at this research prolotherapy. Rheumatology is a bust.
Old 10-10-10, 05:37 AM
indybiker01
I hate carnies

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Day 1 was great. My leg was stiff but after a few miles no issues. This morning my right leg is feeling great! Still not going to play basketball for a couple weeks.