Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like :The Dirty Kanza". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Cervelo Aspero

Old 08-29-19, 08:00 PM
ridenow
Let's hammer

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
54cm
Old 11-13-19, 06:34 PM
gravelED

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Picked up a 54cm Aspero and swapped all my parts over from my Carbonda 505. I've got 3 rides on it so far, all incorporating tons of dirt that some might say are "MTB trails", and it's handled it all exceptionally well. Ride is incredible and geometry is nearly perfect for me. With my "road" setup (700x36 Challenge Strada Bianca TLR), it feels like a fast road bike.
Old 11-20-19, 07:39 PM
vinuneuro

Bikes: 2016 Diverge Expert

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 377 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
The green is such a stunner. I'm surprised it isn't a more popular choice.

Posted on WW:

Old 11-21-19, 11:19 AM
CarloM

Bikes: 2019 TCR Advanced SL1 Disc; 2018 Cervelo S3 SRAM eTap HRD; 2020 Giant Revolt Advanced

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 206 Post(s)
Liked 109 Times in 90 Posts
So full disclosure: I own a Cervelo S3 so I'm not a hater on the brand. Right after I purchased mine, I came across the Hambini video where he roasts them for their excessive acceptable tolerance for their BBright bottom brackets, and how if yours is out of what he considers acceptable tolerance, but still within Cervelo's acceptable tolerance, you can get bottom bracket creaking.

Of course I saw the video after my return window was closed, so I just hoped and prayed mine was within a good tolerance. So far, several months down the line, all quiet on the western front. Since I've never had BB creak, I wondered if I would know what it even sounded like.

Fast forward to Monday. I drove out to a shop about 15 miles away that had a bunch of gravel bikes I was interested in testing: Aspero, 3T Exploro, and I even got to ride a Pinarello Grevil in my size!

Rode the beautiful gold Aspero, it is stunning in person! It's gold but as you can tell, has a neat little color shift in certain light. Looks gorgeous in natural sunlight as well!

Was so looking forward to the ride! Took it out to the large parking lot, hopped on and...bottom bracket creak.

Wow. So that's what that sounds like. Now at least I know what to listen for in my S3 but again (knock on wood) all is good on that front. But was very disappointed that even though Damon Rinard (who according to Hambini was responsible for the tolerance change) had moved from Cervelo to Cannondale, apparently the relaxed acceptable tolerance he introduced is still impacting new bikes. I'm not sure when this frame was built or passed through QC (if it was during or after Rinard's departure from the company) but wow was that disappointing to discover.
Old 11-25-19, 04:52 AM
Hmmm

Bikes: TCX

Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 20 Posts
I love a slammed stem aggressive gravel bike!
Old 11-25-19, 09:49 AM
CarloM

Bikes: 2019 TCR Advanced SL1 Disc; 2018 Cervelo S3 SRAM eTap HRD; 2020 Giant Revolt Advanced

Originally Posted by vinuneuro View Post
The green is such a stunner. I'm surprised it isn't a more popular choice.

Posted on WW:

A lot of colors (not just Cervélo's) don't photograph well. Or, rather, the photo may look good...but doesn't do it justice when compared to how it looks in person. The gold Aspero is a prime example. I thought it looked fine in photos, but stunning in person. If it wasn't for the BB creak...I might be riding it right now instead of the Revolt.
Old 11-26-19, 12:27 PM
gus6464

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 272 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 25 Posts
Originally Posted by CarloM View Post
So full disclosure: I own a Cervelo S3 so I'm not a hater on the brand. Right after I purchased mine, I came across the Hambini video where he roasts them for their excessive acceptable tolerance for their BBright bottom brackets, and how if yours is out of what he considers acceptable tolerance, but still within Cervelo's acceptable tolerance, you can get bottom bracket creaking.

Of course I saw the video after my return window was closed, so I just hoped and prayed mine was within a good tolerance. So far, several months down the line, all quiet on the western front. Since I've never had BB creak, I wondered if I would know what it even sounded like.

Fast forward to Monday. I drove out to a shop about 15 miles away that had a bunch of gravel bikes I was interested in testing: Aspero, 3T Exploro, and I even got to ride a Pinarello Grevil in my size!

Rode the beautiful gold Aspero, it is stunning in person! It's gold but as you can tell, has a neat little color shift in certain light. Looks gorgeous in natural sunlight as well!

Was so looking forward to the ride! Took it out to the large parking lot, hopped on and...bottom bracket creak.

Wow. So that's what that sounds like. Now at least I know what to listen for in my S3 but again (knock on wood) all is good on that front. But was very disappointed that even though Damon Rinard (who according to Hambini was responsible for the tolerance change) had moved from Cervelo to Cannondale, apparently the relaxed acceptable tolerance he introduced is still impacting new bikes. I'm not sure when this frame was built or passed through QC (if it was during or after Rinard's departure from the company) but wow was that disappointing to discover.
I saw that video too and it is absolutely bonkers what Rinard deems acceptable in terms of tolerances. Cannondale BB30 frames were already absolute **** in regards to creaking and now with this guy at the helm it's going to get worse.
Old 11-26-19, 01:43 PM
CarloM

Originally Posted by gus6464 View Post
I saw that video too and it is absolutely bonkers what Rinard deems acceptable in terms of tolerances. Cannondale BB30 frames were already absolute **** in regards to creaking and now with this guy at the helm it's going to get worse.
As now a former owner of a SuperSix, I’m pretty much done with that brand. Most of the other manufacturers have a model or two that I’d love to own, but I think I’m done w Cannondale especially with Rinard heading it up.
Old 11-26-19, 10:20 PM
Chi_Z

Bikes: Niner RLT 9 RDO

Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 21 Posts
Originally Posted by CarloM View Post
As now a former owner of a SuperSix, I’m pretty much done with that brand. Most of the other manufacturers have a model or two that I’d love to own, but I think I’m done w Cannondale especially with Rinard heading it up.
just glue in an alloy BSA shell and call it a day