Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Worth buying expensive sunglasses?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Worth buying expensive sunglasses?

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-19, 12:53 AM
bpcyclist

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 451 Post(s)
Liked 364 Times in 227 Posts
I have to wear bifocals now and am also almost totally color blind. It's weird but there was a period in the 90s when I was running a lot of marathons and Nike was for some reason making orange lensed sunglasses. They were well-made and worked great for me, but I did not need glasses then.

Now, I am virtually blind from a reading point of view without my glasses, though I can see distance okay without them. If I wear my one pair of cheapie sunglasses on a ride, I would have to take my bifocals with, mostly in case there were an emergency and I needed to use the phone or google or text someone or look at the map closely on RWGPS. My glasses are good quality, but they both came with soft cases, so I had been putting them in the left front pocket of my Proziz vest (I ride at night), so as not to crush them in a tight rear pocket. Well, apparently, I am an idiot, because I got home last week and my favorite pair of the two had snapped an earpiece in two. 275 bucks. Idiot!

Huh, this post is not what I posted exactly. Hmm. Anyhow, editing here. The bottom line is that I am now riding without sunglasses and with my bifocals on. I don't like it, because they slip off my nose and I have to deal with the sun. It's very expensive to get prescription anything, so I guess I am stuck with this for now.

I had one good backup pair of bifocals, but if I break those, that's it. And to go back to the optometrist, have an exam (which they insist on doing in this town, even if you have a good prescription), get decent frames, get lenses,and pick them up, it can easily, easily be 500 bucks or more. 1000, if you go crazy with the frames. Don't want to offend any optometrists in the thread, but optometry here can be extremely lucrative.

In order to keep from breaking my only remaining pair, I just started riding without the glasses and hoping I wouldn't have to read anything. But then I got a call on a ride and needed to get vmail and I could not do it. 27 miles from home, middle of nowhere. So now, I am just riding wearing bifocals, which sucks when the sun is out and because they constantly slip off my nose. Not designed for cycling. No idea what to do.

Last edited by bpcyclist; 11-12-19 at 02:28 AM.
Likes For bpcyclist:
Old 11-12-19, 02:34 AM
downhillmaster

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 980 Post(s)
Liked 776 Times in 402 Posts
Originally Posted by Texboy
I'm not sure I would spend a little over $150 dollar for Oakley or Under Armor. Is it worth to spend that much money for the qualities of frame and glasses?
Nope.
It’s recently been proven that it is never worth buying anything expensive.
Likes For downhillmaster:
Old 11-12-19, 09:03 AM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
So, if you wearing polarized sunglasses and look to your digital watch, iphone, and your car’s LCD screen, turn you head sideway.
I keep seeing pattern in my car windows while wearing polarized. Is that normal or just a cheap brand?
Originally Posted by Koyote

That's polarization. It's not the best for cycling, ATMO.
This is speaking of prescription lenses, so results may vary: Went to my first pair of polarized lenses a little over a year ago. Never going back to non-polarized. The increased contrast is absolutely worth it. I now have two pairs with polarized lenses-- one can make screens go black by tilting my head (Wiley X,) the other absolutely does not (Nike.) So far as I can tell, it comes down to how the lenses are oriented when they're ground-- I have a dual-monitor setup on my desktop, and with the pair that blackens screens, tilting my head to the left darkens the right one, and tilting it to the right darkens the left one. It presents no issue while riding, but it is weird. Also makes the odd rainbow dots in car windows.

But the Wiley's have straight smoke lenses with red mirror coat, and the Nike's have some bizarre hi-def lenses that are like a medium blue-- so lens color itself might impact the effects of polarization.
Old 11-12-19, 10:34 AM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1743 Post(s)
Liked 1,281 Times in 740 Posts
It's all Luxottica:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Luxottica
Old 11-12-19, 12:46 PM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

It's not even remotely all Luxottica, but what they've done (been allowed to do, more accurately) to the industry is inexcusable. They've done to eyewear what DeBeers did to diamonds. The fact that $500+ "designer" sunglasses exist is 100% the doing of Luxottica.

There are ways around it. Plenty of brands do their lens work in-house (my Nike prescription sunglasses through my optometrist were just over $200 with polarized, scratch-resistant, high-index, multi-coated lenses,) and Costco has their own eyewear group within the company, which is why they can get you out the door with a pair of prescription sunglasses for under $100-- sometimes well under. I still have a pair of Kirkland prescription shades around here somewhere, they might have been $70.
Old 11-12-19, 12:56 PM
Texboy

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Really, just a pair of $30 glasses and jack up the price?

Old 11-12-19, 01:14 PM
'02 nrs

Bikes: 1938 claud butler,1983 Basso,teledyne titan,teocali super,nrs,1993 stumpjumper fsr,Paramountain,Paramount Buell(sold),4 banger,Zaskar LE,Colnago Master Ibex MTB,1987ish,.etc....

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 802 Post(s)
Liked 2,976 Times in 1,496 Posts
clearance$$$.

you can have both if your a savvy shopper.STP is a good place to start.if frame design is no biggy you can save more.as mentioned above-the more $$$ the better clarity.https://www.sierra.com/all/mens-sung...vingsHighToLow
Old 11-12-19, 02:24 PM
Texboy

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Just purchased an Under Armour polarized from a sporting goods store. It is very expensive, but for some reason, I feel good about it. The clerk asked me to purchase a 1-2 years warranty. Is it worth it to spend money on warranty?
Old 11-12-19, 02:58 PM
deephate

Bikes: COLNAGO! Litespeed, Motobecane, Peugeot, Gitane, Fuji, Nishiki, Centurion, Panasonic, Giant, Trek, Cannondale, Raleigh, Bianchi, Winsor

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 11 Posts
Three pages already? I wear the cheapest convenience store sunglasses I can find as I normally break and/or lose them. I was upset when they went up to fifteen bucks!
Old 11-12-19, 03:08 PM
bbbean 

Bikes: Giant Propel, Cannondale SuperX, Univega Alpina Ultima

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 672 Post(s)
Liked 417 Times in 249 Posts
Just purchased an Under Armour polarized from a sporting goods store. It is very expensive, but for some reason, I feel good about it. The clerk asked me to purchase a 1-2 years warranty. Is it worth it to spend money on warranty?
If you never break or scratch them, maybe not. If you do need a warranty repair, its worth every penny. As I noted above, I have two pair of Rudy Project glasses (lifetime warranty), and they've both been repaired or replaced after crashes. Well worth the price of admission.

Formerly fastest rider in the grupetto, currently slowest guy in the peloton

Old 11-12-19, 04:36 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,105 Times in 1,369 Posts
This is a fashion question, IMO. To keep the sun out of your eyes and focus your vision, you don't need to pay out the wazoo. Want this year's model, special coatings, hi index glass, a little sticker in the corner? It might matter to the person across from you, or you think it will. Pay up. Lots of things are this way.
Genesis 49:16-17
Old 11-12-19, 06:27 PM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

I sometimes forget that there is such a thing as cheap sunglasses, because mine have to be prescription, and are therefore not cheap. Lenses alone can end up over $200.

As to frame quality, I've had $30 frames serve perfectly well. But off the bike, I've been wearing the same pair of prescription Oakleys since 2003. So there is some quality to be had at that higher pricepoint.
Old 11-12-19, 06:56 PM
billnuke1 

Bikes: Only my riders left...

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 350 Post(s)
Liked 782 Times in 389 Posts
Weird...

Originally Posted by DrIsotope
This is speaking of prescription lenses, so results may vary: Went to my first pair of polarized lenses a little over a year ago. Never going back to non-polarized. The increased contrast is absolutely worth it. I now have two pairs with polarized lenses-- one can make screens go black by tilting my head (Wiley X,) the other absolutely does not (Nike.) So far as I can tell, it comes down to how the lenses are oriented when they're ground-- I have a dual-monitor setup on my desktop, and with the pair that blackens screens, tilting my head to the left darkens the right one, and tilting it to the right darkens the left one. It presents no issue while riding, but it is weird. Also makes the odd rainbow dots in car windows.

But the Wiley's have straight smoke lenses with red mirror coat, and the Nike's have some bizarre hi-def lenses that are like a medium blue-- so lens color itself might impact the effects of polarization.
IRD

If you take two polarized lenses, place one lens over the other lens, turn one against the other, the lens will turn black...
Old 11-13-19, 06:28 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4733 Post(s)
Liked 1,532 Times in 1,003 Posts
Originally Posted by Darth Lefty
This is a fashion question, IMO. To keep the sun out of your eyes and focus your vision, you don't need to pay out the wazoo. Want this year's model, special coatings, hi index glass, a little sticker in the corner? It might matter to the person across from you, or you think it will. Pay up. Lots of things are this way.
I do wonder or wish someone would do an objective scientific analysis.. comparing something like the below to some Scott, Oakley or whatnot:

Airway Rimless Mirror
Old 11-13-19, 06:59 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Quoted: 18409 Post(s)
Liked 15,530 Times in 7,326 Posts
Originally Posted by Sy Reene
A question for those with prescriptions.. how do you get the lenses made so you can both read a Garmin at the 1-2 ft distance, as well as progressive out for infinity/distance viewing? I tried a cheap pair of bifocal sports glasses (reading insert combined with non-prescription upper), and found it too long for eyes to adjust distances looking down/looking up/ repeat...
You get your progressive Rx cut into the lens or insert. I was going to get that done with my Rudy Project insert but had never used progressives and didn't want to start doing so on a bike in the big city so I got bifocals with the distance and reading portions of my Rx. Allows me to read cue sheets and my computer when I am touring.
Old 11-13-19, 08:17 AM
Moishe
Banned.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 78 Times in 44 Posts
The one big problem with Tifosi is that the lenses break easily when you swap them. So I now use two Tifosi frames, one with darker lenses, the other with lighter lenses, which I never swap out. And it's much easier to keep the lenses clean if you don't have to bother with forcing them in and out of the frame.
Old 11-13-19, 12:33 PM
Texboy

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
The sunglasses are on sale! Skeleton Optics
Ted Baker

Last edited by Texboy; 11-13-19 at 12:49 PM.
Likes For Texboy:
Old 11-13-19, 02:30 PM
kingston 
Jedi Master

Bikes: https://stinkston.blogspot.com/p/my-bikes.html

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1759 Post(s)
Liked 488 Times in 313 Posts
Originally Posted by Sy Reene
A question for those with prescriptions.. how do you get the lenses made so you can both read a Garmin at the 1-2 ft distance, as well as progressive out for infinity/distance viewing? I tried a cheap pair of bifocal sports glasses (reading insert combined with non-prescription upper), and found it too long for eyes to adjust distances looking down/looking up/ repeat...
I got progressive lenses this year and they work great, but for years I used cheap Nashbar sunglasses with an Rx insert on the left and a non-Rx insert on the right. Honestly that was almost as good for about a-fifth of the cost.
Old 11-13-19, 03:23 PM
Metieval

Bikes: Road bike, Hybrid, Gravel, Drop bar SS, hard tail MTB

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1218 Post(s)
Liked 298 Times in 214 Posts
I keep spending money on $20 to $30 on polarized sunglasses. Some brands I discover that two lenses are not aligned. One side has little visible glare, and the other side is not. I get headaches and eyestrain by looking through these.
I have many pairs of Tifosi

but my favorite pair of all are the Serfas Portals. (polarized) although Serfas no longer makes glasses. If anyone knows who manufactured lenses for Serfas... I'd like to know!!!!

the worse Pair I have is a pair of RUDY glasses which I won. Expensive and I hate them.

I won't buy Tifosi fototec now either. they really screw with depth of field and cause headaches.
Old 11-13-19, 07:27 PM
400E

Bikes: Surly Disc Trucker

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 14 Posts
Someone mentioned getting shatterproof lenses. I bought some 3M safety sunglasses at a big box store and they actually look like (from a distance, anyway!) dedicated bicycling sunglasses.
Likes For 400E:
Old 11-13-19, 07:46 PM
jackb

Bikes: Trek Domane SL5, Trek Checkpoint SL5, Cannndale Trail SE 4, Specialized Langster

Quoted: 162 Post(s)
Liked 134 Times in 72 Posts
What is it in sunglasses that costs so much? Most are just plastic. Of course prescription sunglasses are different, but what about all the rest?
Old 11-14-19, 10:25 AM
Texboy

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by jackb
What is it in sunglasses that costs so much? Most are just plastic. Of course prescription sunglasses are different, but what about all the rest?
It is all about the fashion, my friend. That is the reason I purchased a pair of Under Armour sunglasses. I can be as The Rock superstar!
The Rock’s Under Armour Brand #1
Old 11-14-19, 11:36 AM
Speedway2

Bikes: United Motocross BMX, Specialized Langster, Giant OCR, Marin Muirwoods, Globe Roll2, VROD:)

Quoted: 238 Post(s)
Liked 404 Times in 245 Posts
Originally Posted by 400E
Someone mentioned getting shatterproof lenses. I bought some 3M safety sunglasses at a big box store and they actually look like (from a distance, anyway!) dedicated bicycling sunglasses.
Been using tinted Safety glasses for years riding my motorcycle. Easy transition on a bike. Inexpensive to replace, impact resistant and some are optically clear!

I`ve also had good luck with the ones sold at the Harley store for |$20

They`re not as nice as my polarized RayBan`s (obviously) but then again I don`t have to be too careful with the cheapies.....
Old 11-14-19, 12:26 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Quoted: 18409 Post(s)
Liked 15,530 Times in 7,326 Posts
Originally Posted by jackb
They don't all cost so much. One has to consider quality of materials, quality of construction, quality of optics, and marketing/the cool factor.
Old 11-14-19, 03:53 PM
Chinghis

Bikes: Historical: Schwinn Speedster; Schwinn Collegiate; 1981 Ross Gran Tour; 1981 Dawes Atlantis; 1991 Specialized Rockhopper. Current: 1987 Ritchey Ultra; 1987 Centurion Ironman Dave Scott Master; 1992 Specialized Stumpjumper FS

Quoted: 209 Post(s)
Liked 178 Times in 111 Posts
As someone who needs a prescription, I used to just wear a pair of old-fogey black plastic convenience store frames over my regular glasses. Now I've taken to ordering a set of "Sport" glasses from Zenni. I am (a) hard on glasses, and (b) tend to lose them. No way am I going to drop Optician-store prices on something I will inevitably scratch, then lose.

These Zenni Sport Glasses are what I order - with some anti-glare and impact resistance, they're under $40. I've gone through two pairs already, losing them in incomprehensible places (like just inside the front door. WTH??) They do the job well.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.