Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

Show your Trek Multitrack!

Search
Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

Show your Trek Multitrack!

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-19, 09:12 AM
MiRoLa

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Would Like to Show . . . and know . . .

I just picked up a Trek 720 of unknown vintage to replace my old 7000, which was replaced (but put back into action by my now-stolen 930 singletrack). I'm having trouble ID'g the year for this. I looked at the catalog site and the "color / year" listings, but cannot find the match of color, model, and components. The color list suggests that it's a 92 or 94, but the components from those years in the catalog don't seem to match up.

I'm brand new here so, cannot post photos or links yet, so I'll describe as best I can until after the 10th post.

I don't THINK that the main components have been modded that much. There is a guy in my town who also rides his bike to the train station who has nearly the identical rig (his adjustable stem is slightly different). I've not had a chance to ask him if he knows anything about his ride.

23" / 58cm
Black (or dark, dark, gray) with red and gold decals.
Weinmann 519 700c rims
3 x 8 drivetrain (did not count teeth but can if anyone thinks that's determinative)
Shimano SIS Rear Dearailleur
Shimano SIS Crank
SRAM twist shifters
Spring-loaded seatpost.
Adjustable stem.
V-brakes - unmarked except for an "MV33" (maybe Promax from Google searches?)
"Chromoly Main Frame"

I've searched pretty extensively for photos that appear similar but have come up a bust.
Old 11-09-19, 09:25 AM
rseeker

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 318 Post(s)
Liked 149 Times in 104 Posts
Originally Posted by MiRoLa
I just picked up a Trek 720 of unknown vintage to replace my old 7000, which was replaced (but put back into action by my now-stolen 930 singletrack). I'm having trouble ID'g the year for this. [..] I've searched pretty extensively for photos that appear similar but have come up a bust.
From the decals it could be a 1992 like mine. Sounds like yours is heavily modded. I can't wait to see your pics. Maybe you could put them on imgur and post something indicating the URL.

Welcome to the forum.

Old 11-09-19, 09:46 AM
MiRoLa

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Nearly identical appearance to that. "Exceptions" (and I say "exceptions" because there is a guy in my town who, like me, also rides his bicycle to our local commuter train station and has a nearly identical bike to my own) are:

1. The stem is adjustable. Your stem is much more similar to the one on my old Trek 7000. (my train station guy also has an ajdustable stem on his - albeit a very slightly different version).
2. Yours has the canti-brakes. This is maybe what is throwing me in terms of the vintage. If, as you suggest, the V-Brakes were added later, this would definitely trick me into thinking it was later than 1992 like yours. (the train station guy in my town, though, also has V-Brakes on his??).
3. Your handle bars are more of the "relaxed" mountain style, whereas mine are of the "grocery getter / leisure around town" style. (Again, as are the guy in town)

ASIDE: I'm in a northern suburb of Chicago. I have no idea where he (neighbor guy) bought his bike but I bought mine from suburban Milwaukee couple and it has stickers for a Milwaukee-area bike shop.

4. Comfort seat post - I swapped it out already, but mine had it when I bought it and -- again -- my fellow villager has it.
5. My front crank looks a bit different. Hard to tell from your photo, but mine has a "guard" next to the big ring.

That said, the frame is your frame. No doubt. Rims look quite similar too, but I cannot see any stickers on yours.

Re: pictures - I've tried, to no avial.
Old 11-09-19, 12:34 PM
hokiefyd 

Bikes: More bikes than riders

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1446 Post(s)
Liked 762 Times in 570 Posts
I'm brand new here so, cannot post photos or links yet, so I'll describe as best I can until after the 10th post.
Welcome!

I don't THINK that the main components have been modded that much. There is a guy in my town who also rides his bike to the train station who has nearly the identical rig (his adjustable stem is slightly different). I've not had a chance to ask him if he knows anything about his ride.

23" / 58cm
Black (or dark, dark, gray) with red and gold decals.
Weinmann 519 700c rims
3 x 8 drivetrain (did not count teeth but can if anyone thinks that's determinative)
Shimano SIS Rear Dearailleur
Shimano SIS Crank
SRAM twist shifters
Spring-loaded seatpost.
Adjustable stem.
V-brakes - unmarked except for an "MV33" (maybe Promax from Google searches?)
"Chromoly Main Frame"

I've searched pretty extensively for photos that appear similar but have come up a bust.
Based on your description of the components, your bike is (or at least the components are) almost certainly (from) a 1999 model 720, with the possible exception of color description. 1999 colors were "Explorer Green" with "Silver Decal" or "Graphite Pearl" with "Silver Decal". If it really does look like the frame is an earlier colorway, it's possible that someone took a 1999 bike that might have had frame damage and moved the components to an earlier frame.

1999 model 720 had the Weinmann 519 rims with 8-speed cassette (a Sunrace 11-30). This is notable because no steel-framed MultiTrack earlier than 1999 had an 8-speed cassette. Of course, someone could have installed an 8/9/10-speed freehub body on an older wheel, but the other components match a 1999 model 720 as well. If original, your front derailleur should be a Shimano Tourney TY32 (model number visible on inside of cage plate), and your rear derailleur should be a Shimano Alivio. No model is given in the Trek literature, but it would probably be something like an RD-MC16.

The adjustable stem and suspension seat post are consistent with a 1999 720. Trek's literature describe the handlebar as a "Northroad, 65mm rise", which is consistent with your description of a town bar.

The brakes are Lee Chi MV33. If original, the brake levers should be Lee Chi LG78.

I'm looking forward to pictures, when you can post them!
Old 11-09-19, 05:22 PM
katsup

Bikes: 1995 ParkPre Pro 825 2021 Soma Fog Cutter v2 and 2021 Cotic SolarisMax

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 607 Post(s)
Liked 560 Times in 318 Posts
Provide the serial number (under the bottom bracket) and calculate the year with this.

Table II - Model Years 1987 to 1999
Vintage Trek Bicycle Frame Serial Numbers, bike
Old 11-10-19, 09:40 AM
MiRoLa

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by katsup
Provide the serial number (under the bottom bracket) and calculate the year with this.
Thanks for this. I'm replying here and then to the above and then again to myself. Forum is limiting me to 5x / 24 hours now, so I will not get my 10th post until today and then the 11th, should allow me to post photos.

Again thanks. As for the SN, um, good thought. I'm a bit embarrassed I didn't think of it. Went out to the garage today and thought it'd be easy. Not so much. There are a whole mess of numbers and letters stamped on there in multiple directions. Tomorrow, I'll post a photo.

For now, this is what I think they say:

Going in the direction of the BB spindle, there is stamped the following: WTU 1322706R
Going in the direction perpendicular to above is stamped (in various places): "T BI" also "720 23 - 0" also "T BT - 0 07" -- that last one is a bit ambiguous due to the shallowness of the stamp and the multiple overlaying stamps.

Based on this and the link you gave, I'm still at a loss. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Old 11-10-19, 10:46 AM
MiRoLa

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Nearly identical appearance to that.

Well, maybe I jumped the gun a bit. "Nearly identical" might have been a bit ambitious and a bit hasty.

On a more careful look:

1. The color isn't the same. Yours is more black. Mine is def. more of a pearly-grey-black.
2. Your decals are all red. Mine are red outlined in places, but golden inside.
3. Your "720" decal is on the seat tube. Mine is on the top tube right after "Multitrack"

The forum should allow me to make an additional 5 posts today, pics tomorrow!
Old 11-10-19, 11:13 AM
katsup

Going in the direction of the BB spindle, there is stamped the following: WTU 1322706R
This sounds like your serial number which puts it between 94-95. Judging by the color description, I'd say 1994 = "also black with titanium decals".

Edit: Disregard, this number scheme is for US made frames, your 720 was not made in the US.

Going in the direction perpendicular to above is stamped (in various places): "T BI" also "720 23 - 0" also "T BT - 0 07" -- that last one is a bit ambiguous due to the shallowness of the stamp and the multiple overlaying stamps.
The model and size of your bike plus some other characters.

Last edited by katsup; 11-10-19 at 04:47 PM.
Old 11-10-19, 01:58 PM
hokiefyd 

3. Your "720" decal is on the seat tube. Mine is on the top tube right after "Multitrack"
This is another good clue. Trek moved the "7xx" decal from the seat tube to the top tube in 1998. So your frame is almost certainly a 1998+ model and, along with your component list, I'd say with a high degree of certainty that you have a 1999 model 720.
Old 11-10-19, 04:07 PM
MiRoLa

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Going backwards on your comments above (sorry, quoting got all janky - I'm trying hard to get my 10 posts in so I can get the photos up -- thanks to everyone who's helped in the ID):

1. Brakes are definitely marked "MV33" - I'll check the levers -- just checked, their is no mfg stamp, but they are marked "C 981" - where the "C" looks a bit like a PacMan.
2. Bars are def. "northroad" style. In my mind a "true" Northroad is a bit wider, but that might just be an impression pulled from my a@@. This is my first rig with those style bars.
3. I'm going to check the front and rear derailleurs and get back in a separate post (trying to quickly get up to 10 to allow photos).
4. Good point on the possible replacement of the rear cassette. That would have required (assuming a change from 7 to 8/9/10) installation / swap of the SRAM twist shifters, right? The rear derailleur is marked "A" - I'm guessing that's "Alivio" - and also stamped "RD MC-18"
5. The "black" I mentioned doesn't seem like "jet black" and I'm not sure what "graphite pearl" looks like - but if that's a dark color, then it could well be that. Decals, though, aren't silver but red, like the above poster. The decals are goldish color with red outline trim and/or just a red outline trim.

Pictures are all ready after 24 more hours and my first 10 posts!
Old 11-10-19, 04:11 PM
MiRoLa

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Put on a basket . . . then took it off.

I was thinking about making my 720 an over-the-top grocery getter and installed a Wald front basket. Hated it. Removed it.

Ninth post. One more tonight. Photos tomorrow.

Again, thanks to all responses.
Old 11-10-19, 04:54 PM
katsup

Originally Posted by hokiefyd
This is another good clue. Trek moved the "7xx" decal from the seat tube to the top tube in 1998. So your frame is almost certainly a 1998+ model and, along with your component list, I'd say with a high degree of certainty that you have a 1999 model 720.
I think you are right as the color description sounds like it matches the one on this write up:

ride on purpose: My "re-imagined" trek 720 multitrack
Old 11-10-19, 07:22 PM
hokiefyd 

The serial number and decal color not matching what "should be" 1999 is strange, but the decal location and components list together are dead-ringers for a 1999 model year. I suppose it's possible that Trek used different color decals that they had available -- I think 1999 was either the last, or at least one of the last model years for the steel MultiTracks, so Trek may have been using some parts at the end inconsistent with materials put together at the beginning of the model year.

@MiRoLa, yes, that "A" derailleur is an older Alivio line. This should be it (a PDF from Shimano's service information website). Regarding the color, I presume "graphite pearl" is some sort of very dark grey, probably a gloss metallic. I don't know for sure, but it sounds consistent with how you describe the color on yours (not "black", but very dark).
Likes For hokiefyd:
Old 11-11-19, 10:18 AM
MiRoLa

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
I was thinking about making my 720 an over-the-top grocery getter and installed a Wald front basket. Hated it. Removed it.

Ninth post. One more tonight. Photos tomorrow.

Again, thanks to all responses.
Snow today in Glencoe. I took the old 7000 singletrack to avoid the invetable salting and destruction of the "new" 720. Pics to follow (by my count this is post # 10).
Old 11-11-19, 12:06 PM
MiRoLa

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Finally the Pics. Thanks Everyone for All Your Help.

"Before" - How she looked when I bought her.

How she looks after minor mods.
Pics to follow (by my count this is post # 10).
Here she finally is:
Likes For MiRoLa:
Old 11-11-19, 04:52 PM
katsup

^ Looks just like the 1999 version from the write up I posted earlier. The vintage trek site calls it graphite pearl.
Old 11-11-19, 06:16 PM
hokiefyd 

You're a tall dude...with that much seat post showing on a 23" frame! That paint does look consistent with a "graphite pearl" to me. Enjoy it in good health!
Old 11-11-19, 09:05 PM
MiRoLa

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by hokiefyd
You're a tall dude...with that much seat post showing on a 23" frame! That paint does look consistent with a "graphite pearl" to me. Enjoy it in good health!
Thanks to you both. Yeah, I'm less tall than long-legged. Long femurs relative to torso make fittings interesting. "Reach" can be an issue.
Old 11-17-19, 12:24 PM
theMotoMan

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 7 Posts
One thing that I have noticed on mine is the bottom bracket is pretty high, causing me to have to raise the seatpost more than normal. On the other hand, the top tube is also very high for the frame size. It’s all good, just different from a typical road frame.
Old 11-17-19, 01:42 PM
hokiefyd 

Originally Posted by theMotoMan
One thing that I have noticed on mine is the bottom bracket is pretty high, causing me to have to raise the seatpost more than normal. On the other hand, the top tube is also very high for the frame size. It’s all good, just different from a typical road frame.
You're right -- there's not a ton of bottom bracket drop. For this reason, I like a butterfly bar on my 750. I have a somewhat tall stem on it, and the butterfly bar ensures my reach (at the brake/shift levers) is fairly short. But I can also stretch out on the "fronts" of the bar for more prolonged riding.
Old 11-17-19, 05:01 PM
theMotoMan

1992 Trek 750 Gravel Bike Build

Here is my newly built 1992 Trek 750 Gravel Bike build. Scored the bike off of Craigslist for $160 and then used a few parts that I had laying around, plus a bunch more from Craigslist and then bought a few things new that I got tired of waiting for on Craigslist. Total investment $525. I have not got to really ride it yet since I am having some health issues, but this is motivation for me to get well and get back in the saddle. I can post a few more photos if needed.

1x10 gearing
11-42 Sunrace 10-speed cassette
SRAM Apex 1 11-speed rear derailleur
42T chainring
KMC X10.93 10-speed chain
Specialized Rove riser drop bars
SRAM Apex 10-speed shifters, left shifter mechanism removed
Ksyrium wheels
Panaracer GravelKing SK 43mm tires
Stock crankset And bottom bracket
Stock headset
Avid mini-V brakes
Specialized Toupe saddle
Eggbeater pedals
Cheap-o aluminum zero setback seatpost

Last edited by theMotoMan; 11-17-19 at 09:04 PM. Reason: Add specs
Likes For theMotoMan:
Old 11-17-19, 05:10 PM
theMotoMan

1991 750 Rescue

I’ve done a couple of 750 builds, one was a 1991 for my daughter. I rescued that one from destruction on Craigslist for $5. The seatpost was practically welded into the frame and I had to cut it out using a hacksaw blade inserted vertically. I cut a slot all the way down it and then grabbed it with vice grips and curled it inward and then got it out. One thing I liked about the 1991 frame is it features a common 27.2mm seatpost. My 1992 has a 26.8mm post, which is a lot less common to find. If memory serves, the 91 is the only one with a 27.2mm seatpost...someone may be able to correct me on this one. I’m talking the older True Temper steel ones.

Here are the pictures of the 1991 build. Did this back in 2007 and my daughter still rides it, but has a flat bar setup on it now.

Last edited by theMotoMan; 11-17-19 at 05:23 PM. Reason: Adding title and pictures
Likes For theMotoMan:
Old 11-18-19, 07:05 AM
hokiefyd 

Originally Posted by theMotoMan
If memory serves, the 91 is the only one with a 27.2mm seatpost...someone may be able to correct me on this one. I’m talking the older True Temper steel ones.
This is correct for the "first generation" with lugged frames. The tubing changed in 1994, when they went to tig welded construction, and the 750 was back to a 27.2mm seat post. It stayed that way through 1997, which is the last year of the 750. The 750 continued to use True Temper branded double-butted cro-moly steel in 1994-1997, but I guess the wall thickness changed to allow for the larger seat post again.

The 730 became the highest trim steel MultiTrack in 1998, and it was upgraded to use a 27.2mm seatpost (up from 26.6mm in 1997)...at least according to Trek's technical manuals.
Likes For hokiefyd:
Old 11-24-19, 04:47 PM
rseeker

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 318 Post(s)
Liked 149 Times in 104 Posts
For the record, someone posted about a 750 in another thread (which I know some people have already seen and commented on):

https://www.bikeforums.net/hybrid-bi...ng-plunge.html
Old 01-01-20, 10:04 PM
Jmpierce

Bikes: 82 Trek 710, 90 Trek 750, 86 Vitus, Nishiki Cervino, 1989 Bianchi CdI, 2 Nashbars, an Italian Steel MTB, Sears Spaceliner, and a 74 Schwinn Speedster. I also manage a fleet of Volcanic Patrol bikes, 83 of them.

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked 234 Times in 120 Posts
My 90 750

Originally Posted by rseeker
For the record, someone posted about a 750 in another thread (which I know some people have already seen and commented on):

https://www.bikeforums.net/hybrid-bi...ng-plunge.html
Thats mine. Its finished for now. I took it out for a test ride today. I forget how great this bike is to ride. I gave it to a friend about 5 years ago and he gave it back in less than perfect condition and I was thinking about donating it to the local coop but instead I put in maybe $500 in wheels, shifters, cassette, brakes and fenders.

I bought it from the original owner in 91. he was a MTB person and bought it to ride a century. I paid $165 and felt like I got a deal. I rode it as my commuter 28 miles round trip in Chicago for 6 years. It was my second Trek, my first is a 82 710.

Likes For Jmpierce:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.