Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Rehabbing a 1984 Specialized Stumpjumper SC

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Rehabbing a 1984 Specialized Stumpjumper SC

Old 11-12-19, 11:47 AM
Santuri32

Bikes: Some 80s MTBs

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 24 Posts
Originally Posted by zouch
hi!

no, sorry, S/N records are long gone.

IIRC, the rims were the wider version; they were trying out wide rims with narrow tires then. (remember when i said they didn't know what they were doing then? ) that's why i changed them to a narrower rim (as soon as i proved them unsatisfactory).
i don't remember exactly and i may be mistaken, but i think both original and replacement rims had a sort of U-shaped cross-profile.
I believe they were both playing with the best available gear and trying new stuff as soon as it came out. This bike is a good example of that, is full of fresh, made to order Specialized branded parts, BB, Headset, Cranks, Stem, Bars, Hubs, and Skewers, and trying new stuff Shimano Biopace, Shimano Deore XT m700 SP rear derailleur. The Saturne HX28 were also fresh, replacing the heavier HX32. Wheel sets were large part of the weight on these bikes and they were starting to trim them after they had gone from a 29 lb bike in 1982 to a 31 lb bike in 1983-85 on the standard Stumpjumpers. Specialized was also trying to capture more market now with four Stumpjumper models up from two in 1983, in that MTB boom year this was a good strategy, IMO.
Old 11-12-19, 11:48 AM
zouch
just a guy,...

Bikes: Klein (Pinnacle), Kestrel (CSx), Ibis (Scorcher, Silk Ti and Cousin It), Rock Lobster (Monster Cross/Adventure), Serrota (Ti Road)

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
your pics are of later rims; after Spclzd had to give up the SaturNe name.
SCs had Saturne-labelled rims.

i can assure you that the original tires on the SC were 1.5", NOT 1.95.

Originally Posted by Santuri32

I appreciate your reply, the X32s are similar to the X22 above in profile, X28s had the U profile you may be referring to. I think X28 would have held 1.95" tires, but perhaps not 2.125" I think the SC came with 1.95" tires
Old 11-12-19, 06:08 PM
Santuri32

Yes, I took those from the web in a hurry, so you know for a fact Specialized owned Saturne, now Saturae?

Wow 1.5" did the bike had a narrower chain stay width than the regular Stumpjumper?, I know they share the serial format with the 1985-6 team bikes and the '85 had narrow tires and narrow chainstay width, is the SC the precursor of the team in a way?
Old 11-12-19, 06:10 PM
Santuri32

Did you owed that bike since new?
Old 11-12-19, 07:01 PM
zouch
just a guy,...

Bikes: Klein (Pinnacle), Kestrel (CSx), Ibis (Scorcher, Silk Ti and Cousin It), Rock Lobster (Monster Cross/Adventure), Serrota (Ti Road)

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
not clear who your question here is targeted at since you didn't quote anyone, but i don't believe SpecialEd "owned" Saturne; i think it was just a name they used for their rims, and then changed it because someone else using the name (or one close to it) objected in a legal way.
(maybe someone else here who can look at their Saturne rims and see if there is still an Araya logo stamped in somewhere, or some other rim mfr.)

personally, i don't think the SC frame was any different than the standard Stumpy of its days; it was just tarted up with some cute components and a different paint color. as i mentioned, i ended up running much wider tires on mine than what it came with originally.

i bought mine as part of a shop employee deal that Spclzd did to promote the Stumpys in those early years; we got them for less than the shop paid wholesale for the standard version. i suspect that's how most of them were sold, with the idea that when Joe Potential Customer came in looking at bikes and asked what i rode, i'd point to the Special Edition at the top of the line and say "one of those".

Yes, I took those from the web in a hurry, so you know for a fact Specialized owned Saturne, now Saturae?

Wow 1.5" did the bike had a narrower chain stay width than the regular Stumpjumper?, I know they share the serial format with the 1985-6 team bikes and the '85 had narrow tires and narrow chainstay width, is the SC the precursor of the team in a way?
Old 11-12-19, 07:44 PM
Santuri32

not clear who your question here is targeted at since you didn't quote anyone, but i don't believe SpecialEd "owned" Saturne; i think it was just a name they used for their rims, and then changed it because someone else using the name (or one close to it) objected in a legal way.
(maybe someone else here who can look at their Saturne rims and see if there is still an Araya logo stamped in somewhere, or some other rim mfr.)

personally, i don't think the SC frame was any different than the standard Stumpy of its days; it was just tarted up with some cute components and a different paint color. as i mentioned, i ended up running much wider tires on mine than what it came with originally.

i bought mine as part of a shop employee deal that Spclzd did to promote the Stumpys in those early years; we got them for less than the shop paid wholesale for the standard version. i suspect that's how most of them were sold, with the idea that when Joe Potential Customer came in looking at bikes and asked what i rode, i'd point to the Special Edition at the top of the line and say "one of those".
Sorry, and yes my question was for you,

Thanks for clearing all that, I'll bet you are the only original owner of a SJ SC's I'm going to meet in this forum and the story is very interesting, so do you have any idea of what "SC" stood for? My best guess is Stumpjumper "Shimano Component". But is confusing as their other '84 bike their SJ Sport XT was clearly name after that, so why not use the name SJ XT instead of SJ SC?
Old 11-13-19, 10:18 AM
zouch
just a guy,...

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
"SC" who knows what was lurking in the minds of SpecialEd Marketeers 35 years ago? ;-)
Super Cool?
Stupid Chainrings?

Sorry, and yes my question was for you,

Thanks for clearing all that, I'll bet you are the only original owner of a SJ SC's I'm going to meet in this forum and the story is very interesting, so do you have any idea of what "SC" stood for? My best guess is Stumpjumper "Shimano Component". But is confusing as their other '84 bike their SJ Sport XT was clearly name after that, so why not use the name SJ XT instead of SJ SC?
Likes For zouch:
Old 11-13-19, 08:45 PM
Santuri32

"SC" who knows what was lurking in the minds of SpecialEd Marketeers 35 years ago? ;-)
Super Cool?
Stupid Chainrings?
Stupid Chainrings craked me up.
Likes For Santuri32:
Old 11-13-19, 09:20 PM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 267 Post(s)
Quoted: 4494 Post(s)
Liked 6,300 Times in 3,633 Posts
Stupid Chainrings craked me up.
I'll try and reach out to Merz, he may know what SC stood for.

Go to his FB page for info you will get nowhere else.
Old 11-14-19, 09:15 PM
Santuri32

Originally Posted by merziac
I'll try and reach out to Merz, he may know what SC stood for.

Go to his FB page for info you will get nowhere else.
I don't use FB, I appreciate you asking. Most likely is Shimano Components , although shifty chain rings is a close second.
Old 11-14-19, 09:25 PM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 267 Post(s)
Quoted: 4494 Post(s)
Liked 6,300 Times in 3,633 Posts
I don't use FB, I appreciate you asking. Most likely is Shimano Components , although shifty chain rings is a close second.
I don't use efFB either, his is public, just google to find, well worth a look. I doubt it was Shimano Components, Sinyard was complete tyrant about his branding and didn't willingly give any nod to others.
Old 11-17-19, 08:26 PM
Santuri32

Originally Posted by merziac
I don't use efFB either, his is public, just google to find, well worth a look. I doubt it was Shimano Components, Sinyard was complete tyrant about his branding and didn't willingly give any nod to others.
That is a valid point. I suspect is for the Shimano Component since its sibling the XT Sport apparently was named after the XT components it featured, both Sport and regular Stumpjumpers were the bikes apparently featured in some of the XT introductory brochures, suggesting collaboration between the companies. The February date of the Sport XT matches the first bikes with the XT Group, and the SC came even after in March '84 with a group not shown on the scarce Shimano literature until May '85 for the super plate RD and 86 for the black shifters and cantilevers. Any Shimano references are appreciated.