Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Cycling and smoking

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Cycling and smoking

Old 11-05-18, 06:07 PM
pistach.io

Bikes: single speed mtb, touring

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
Cycling and smoking

Wow, I'm recently quit! A few years into my recreational cycling career, as a commuter and tourer, I was determined not to go into my 40s with a cigarette dangling from my lips...or ever again. I smoked on and off for 18 years (I'd say less than 10 pack years) but started feeling the effects in fitness and recovery, and got paranoid for my health. I love cycling and my partner, who is also my riding partner, more than smoking so I had to quit. It's been 3 months without a slip or relapse. When I commute and ride on the weekend I average about 150-200k a week, and I want to be able to keep doing that, and go on so many more tours! That's the only reason. A life free from disability, not mention an early death.

It was definitely a very hard quit for me this time, complete with depression and anxiety. I currently have a shoulder/neck injury as well which has made it difficult to get back riding the way I used to while I was smoking, which feels a little cruel now that i've finally quit! arrgh!

Any other smokers out there who quit or are trying to? I'd love to connect here and read your stories.
Likes For pistach.io:
Old 11-05-18, 06:33 PM
daoswald

Bikes: 2008 Cannondale Synapse -- 2014 Cannondale Quick CX

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 212 Post(s)
Liked 83 Times in 54 Posts
Never even tried one. But I applaud your successful effort. Quitting that addiction has to be hard.

As I've been going through my own transformation (six months from 212 pounds to 180 at 6'3") I've found one trick that always works: When I feel the urge to go assemble some boredom food, I go for a ride. Perhaps there can be some version of that approach for smoking as well. Even if I tell myself I'll do only a couple miles, first we all know it's never just a couple miles. It always turns into more. And also the prep time, and cleanup afterward take enough time that I'm no longer in the "boredom food" mode. I suspect that after the chemical addiction passes the primary reason people pick smoking back up again is similar to the boredom grazing. Just something to pacify oneself. So the next time that mood hits, go for a ride.
Old 11-05-18, 08:12 PM
Fahrenheit531 
52psi

Bikes: Schwinn Volare ('78); Raleigh Competition GS ('79)

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 790 Post(s)
Liked 801 Times in 390 Posts
I switched from Camels to e-cigs five or six years ago... that made a huge difference to my lungs. Still less than ideal, but better.
Last summer I started reducing the nicotine in my juice and by October I was at zero nicotine; at that point the whole vape thing was distinctly unsatisfying and I was able to toss the whole rig after about two days. Haven't looked back since.

There's the occasional moments where a smoke crosses my mind. But they're very specific situations and it's pretty easy to disregard the momentary cravings now.

I'm sure my cycling will forever suffer -- at least somewhat -- from my 25 years at a pack a day and my several years of vape juice. But I'm definitely better off than I used to be. And for the record, I'll wholeheartedly endorse vapes over cigs if you hit a point where you must have nicotine. Sure, they're not proven harmless and probably aren't; but cigs are proven lethal and I'll take a "maybe" over a "for sure" in that category any day.

Good luck and don't quit quitting.
A race bike in any era is a highly personal choice that at its "best" balances the requirements of fit, weight, handling, durability and cost tempered by the willingness to toss it and oneself down the pavement at considerable speed. ~Bandera
Old 11-05-18, 09:03 PM
mtbikerinpa
Shimano Certified

Bikes: 92 Giant Sedona ATX Custom

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Fahrenheit531
I'm sure my cycling will forever suffer -- at least somewhat -- from my 25 years at a pack a day and my several years of vape juice. But I'm definitely better off than I used to be. And for the record, I'll wholeheartedly endorse vapes over cigs if you hit a point where you must have nicotine. Sure, they're not proven harmless and probably aren't; but cigs are proven lethal and I'll take a "maybe" over a "for sure" in that category any day.

Good luck and don't quit quitting.
Definitely good on you and good luck for quitting. I spent years as the only person on a work crew that didn't smoke and then when they switched to vape it made the second hand worse. Ended up quitting that job because the second hand effects it had. Many thanks for the efforts.
Likes For mtbikerinpa:
Old 11-05-18, 09:17 PM
wipekitty
vespertine member

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 687 Post(s)
Liked 220 Times in 163 Posts
Nice work!

I smoked for ~15 years, quite heavily for about 11, unfiltered for about half of the journey. During most of those years, I was pretty physically active - first running, then hiking in the mountains, then cycling. I initially quit in April 2013 with the help of e-cigs, Nicorette Lozenges, and Swedish snus. I still like coffee and nicotine, and still use the snus.

My significant other, who smoked for 30 YEARS, just quit last month!

We both quit for the same reasons: when smoking was starting to have a noticeable impact on endurance in physically tiring activities, it was time to stop.
Old 11-06-18, 01:45 AM
subgrade

Bikes: Focus Crater Lake

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 391 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 204 Posts
I do smoke, have been doing it more or less regularly for 20 years. Never been a real hardcore smoker - during the years I smoked on a daily basis, I usually averaged 1/2 pack (10 cigs) for a day. For the last ~4 years I don't smoke on a daily basis anymore, just on social occasions when having a beer with friends. That happens quite a lot though, so it's safe to say I still smoke no less than a pack a week. I haven't yet noticed any significant impact on my health, although there was some improvement in endurance when I dropped the daily smoking, which also coincided with riding more (and it looked like it had more to do wit the latter than the former). I know I should quit for good, but haven't yet found the motivation to to do it.
Old 11-06-18, 05:01 AM
salad_goat

Bikes: 2012 CAAD 10, 2015 Caadx, 2011 Redline Conquest Pro SS

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by pistach.io
Wow, I'm recently quit! A few years into my recreational cycling career, as a commuter and tourer, I was determined not to go into my 40s with a cigarette dangling from my lips...or ever again. I smoked on and off for 18 years (I'd say less than 10 pack years) but started feeling the effects in fitness and recovery, and got paranoid for my health. I love cycling and my partner, who is also my riding partner, more than smoking so I had to quit. It's been 3 months without a slip or relapse. When I commute and ride on the weekend I average about 150-200k a week, and I want to be able to keep doing that, and go on so many more tours! That's the only reason. A life free from disability, not mention an early death.

It was definitely a very hard quit for me this time, complete with depression and anxiety. I currently have a shoulder/neck injury as well which has made it difficult to get back riding the way I used to while I was smoking, which feels a little cruel now that i've finally quit! arrgh!

Any other smokers out there who quit or are trying to? I'd love to connect here and read your stories.
I am 26. I smoked from the age of 18-21. I was about a pack a day smoker. I am very fortunate I had the will power to quit and ultimately stay away from the habit. I must say that the want to perform and focus on athletics was a much more stronger want than the need for smoking. If you feel the urge to smoke and it become overwhelming I'd rather you have a vape session than resort back to analogues. Best of luck! You got this!
Old 11-06-18, 06:13 AM
locomotion1

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
seem like they don't go together
Old 11-06-18, 06:31 AM
Phil_gretz
Zip tie Karen

Bikes: '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked 1,542 Times in 806 Posts
Smoking used to be cool. Like, cool, Baby. Check out these Rat Packers.

Today? Not so much...
Old 11-06-18, 07:41 AM
MikeyMK
Cycleway town

Bikes: 2.6kw GT LTS e-tandem, 250w Voodoo, 250w solar recumbent trike, 3-speed shopper, Merlin ol/skl mtb, 80cc Ellswick

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 169 Times in 117 Posts
For circa ten years (18-26) I smoked about a pack a day, as did most people I knew. Also smoked weed that time.

Giving up didn't come immediately because I turned into a cocky control freak developing the attitude for it - I'd just give up for one evening down the pub, to show my mates how easy it was to smoke or not smoke.

My vision was simple. I decide what I do. Not my body. I saw craving as an illusion. A mate said he couldn't give up. I said if he wasn't in control of his actions he needed locking up.. People talked of willpower, I said no amount of willpower will let you walk through a brick wall. But it's not really there.

There was a problem. When i was with people, I had to prove it. When on my own, there was no stopping me. So i had to make a decision. Was I gonna do this? At the time i was off the road. I don't know why, between cars or one was in bits (probably the latter). I was at a bus stop near a shop and had time to get a pack. I think I had a phone, but that's when they were just phones and I was very bored. I decided no, that was it. And apart from the occasional toke on a spliff, it was. That pack remains un-bought to this day.
Old 11-06-18, 08:46 AM
Guest User 1923242

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
When I was 41 a chest Xray told me I had a tumor in my lung. The tumor wasn`t the result of my heavy 2 packs + smoking a day but the surgery that followed was enough incentive to quit...Thirty-four years later and I have no desire to have a smoke.
Old 11-06-18, 09:29 AM
NameTaken

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've been smoke free for about 10 years now. I smoked in high school up to about 27 or so. I started having coughing fits regularly and had just had it with being a slave to it. I smoked a lot of pot and took my fair share of hallucinogenics and had zero issues quiting all of that when I went to college, drinking was never an issue either so the fact that I couldn't even shake the nicotine for a few hours just drove me crazy. So I went to my doctor and got some Chantix and used an electronic cigarette for when I couldn't power through the urges. The first 3 days were horrible. High stress, irritable, etc. I pretty much stayed glued to my TV with a guitar in hand and ate a lot of pretzels. After that it was actually pretty easy because you are allowed to cheat while you are on Chantix. By the end of the first two weeks I had pretty much quit. I'd have the occasional drag from the e-cig but I stopped refilling it and it was mostly an oral fixation at that point. By the end of the month I was good and haven't looked back.

My Chantix experience was great. I was pretty hostile toward people in the beginning but I never felt like I was going to get violent and I attribute the rage more to the fact that I was fighting a 20 year addiction than to the drug that was curbing the urges. I had vivid dreams that I can only describe a acid flashbacks - the good kind, nothing bad happened at all. When I tell other smokers about it they always tell me they can't take it because they'll become crazy. It's a BS excuse really. I have a history of depression and hallucinogenic abuse and it was fine. I'm happier and healthier now than I have ever been and have probably saved a good $20k on cigarettes alone, not to mention the health costs. If you actually want to quit, it's worth trying.
Old 11-06-18, 09:52 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
I imagine more than 1 guy in Amsterdam rides his bike to a "coffee" shop..
and smokes some 'spliffs' while there''...

(US Navy 66~69, on ship 'smoke breaks', were not enough
for me to take up a tobacco habit)
(both my parents, married in 44, smoked for a long time then, finally, quit )

Old 11-06-18, 11:09 AM
Phil_gretz
Zip tie Karen

Bikes: '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked 1,542 Times in 806 Posts
Originally Posted by NameTaken
I've been smoke free for about 10 years now. I smoked in high school up to about 27 or so. I started having coughing fits regularly and had just had it with being a slave to it. I smoked a lot of pot and took my fair share of hallucinogenics and had zero issues quiting all of that when I went to college, drinking was never an issue either so the fact that I couldn't even shake the nicotine for a few hours just drove me crazy. So I went to my doctor and got some Chantix and used an electronic cigarette for when I couldn't power through the urges. The first 3 days were horrible. High stress, irritable, etc. I pretty much stayed glued to my TV with a guitar in hand and ate a lot of pretzels. After that it was actually pretty easy because you are allowed to cheat while you are on Chantix. By the end of the first two weeks I had pretty much quit. I'd have the occasional drag from the e-cig but I stopped refilling it and it was mostly an oral fixation at that point. By the end of the month I was good and haven't looked back.

My Chantix experience was great. I was pretty hostile toward people in the beginning but I never felt like I was going to get violent and I attribute the rage more to the fact that I was fighting a 20 year addiction than to the drug that was curbing the urges. I had vivid dreams that I can only describe a acid flashbacks - the good kind, nothing bad happened at all. When I tell other smokers about it they always tell me they can't take it because they'll become crazy. It's a BS excuse really. I have a history of depression and hallucinogenic abuse and it was fine. I'm happier and healthier now than I have ever been and have probably saved a good $20k on cigarettes alone, not to mention the health costs. If you actually want to quit, it's worth trying.
Thanks for sharing this, @NameTaken, I appreciate your honesty. Well done.
Old 11-06-18, 02:20 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Had to post this ..

Old 11-06-18, 07:20 PM
JanMM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro A20, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 347 Times in 226 Posts
Bought a bike and quit smoking when I was 23. Have been riding since then.
I only had about a 3 pack-year history but still it took a couple of years before I had my last cigarette - in 1975.
Strangely enough, have had thoughts in the last year or two that smoking a cigarette would be pleasant. No, I won't be doing that but just shows the power of tobacco.
Old 11-06-18, 07:23 PM
bobwysiwyg

Bikes: Mongoose Selous, Trek DS

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 941 Post(s)
Liked 319 Times in 189 Posts
I smoked from 22 (in the service) until I was 70. . My PCP for 30 yrs, great doc by the way, tried getting me to quit regularly, but I resisted. I'd heard of Chantix, but was put off by some of the possible side affects, or at least that was my excuse. Finally I decided to give it a try. My doctor couldn't write that Rx fast enough. Took it, kept smoking for a week then nothing, no problem, nothing since. Occasionally when riding the warmer months and vehicle pulls up with a smoker with an open window at a light, I admit to brief remembrance of my past. Light changes, and end of the memory.
Likes For bobwysiwyg:
Old 11-07-18, 08:08 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5222 Post(s)
Liked 3,574 Times in 2,338 Posts
congrats, keep it up, one day at a time, right?

used to smoke occasionally, don't anymore. buddy of mine that I used to cycle with in high school would sometimes like to have a cig on our breaks & claimed the nicotine gave him more power. he also drank cola for the caffeine
Old 11-07-18, 08:25 AM
TakingMyTime

Bikes: Canyon Endurace

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1036 Post(s)
Liked 922 Times in 539 Posts
I smoked for over 15 years and was up to about 2 packs a day. Yes, very OCD and addicted. Like most other smokers I had tried to quit a million times. Then, about 20 years ago the switch in my brain flipped and it was time to quit. Never looked back. Although, I do enjoy a good cigar about once a month.
Old 11-07-18, 09:16 AM
Witterings

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 29 Posts
Used to smoke ... now cycle instead

Last edited by Witterings; 11-08-18 at 06:36 PM.
Old 11-07-18, 11:04 AM
Oldguyonoldbike

Bikes: Casati Laser, Colnago Tecnos, Ciöcc Exige, Black Mountain Cycles Road

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked 177 Times in 78 Posts
I quit smoking when I was 34 ( I'm 56 now). At the time I was living in a hilly-to-mountainous area and commuted about ten miles to work by bike a couple of times a week. Several things happened within the space of one week that led me to quit: I split up with my wife, I finished grad school, and my father was diagnosed with cancer (he lived another twenty years). Everything was so completely topsy turvy that the stress and emotional roller coaster of kicking the nicotine habit kind of got lost in all the rest. I did drink a lot for a while: alcohol and coffee intake both skyrocketed. The fact of the matter is, though, that after having tried to quit several times, that time it stuck.

I do remember that I was expecting to start feeling better immediately and it didn't happen. Especially while riding, and especially while climbing, I coughed up years' worth of crud. I suppose that without any new smoke and tar pushing it back down into my lungs, any exercise and heavy breathing helped my lungs expel what I'd been pumping into them for years. It took a month or two before I actually started feeling better, but it did happen and in the last 22 years I have hardly ever been tempted to start again.
Old 11-07-18, 12:28 PM
chicagogal

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
One of my closest loved ones died a couple of years ago due to complications caused by a lifetime of smoking. Over the span of 10 years, he had open heart surgery, surgery to repair blood vessels in the extremities, treatment for gangrene, and a leg amputated. He finally died post-op from kidney failure. He was 63. For those of you have quit smoking, congratulations. For those of you working on it, please keep trying, if not for yourself, for the people in this world who will miss you when you are gone.
Old 11-07-18, 01:02 PM
pistach.io

Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by chicagogal
One of my closest loved ones died a couple of years ago due to complications caused by a lifetime of smoking. Over the span of 10 years, he had open heart surgery, surgery to repair blood vessels in the extremities, treatment for gangrene, and a leg amputated. He finally died post-op from kidney failure. He was 63. For those of you have quit smoking, congratulations. For those of you working on it, please keep trying, if not for yourself, for the people in this world who will miss you when you are gone.
Thanks for sharing! I really appreciate all the replies so far and I'm still reading them. Sorry to hear about your loss! Smoking is the devil, I'm convinced of that now. While half of all smokers will live through middle age without major health complications, when they do happen they take away what are still some of best years well before old age. We die early with or without major disease but I didn't want to take that risk anymore. Playing russian roulette with my health wasn't for me anymore.
Old 11-07-18, 01:06 PM
pistach.io

Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by daoswald
Never even tried one. But I applaud your successful effort. Quitting that addiction has to be hard.

I suspect that after the chemical addiction passes the primary reason people pick smoking back up again is similar to the boredom grazing. Just something to pacify oneself. So the next time that mood hits, go for a ride.
Congrats on your own amazing life changes! You hit the nail on the head. It's boredom but also the need to pacify yourself is strong when you're suffering from anxiety (induced or made worse by smoking sometimes). What people don't realize for a lot of people smoking alters your brain chemistry and creates a new normal for your mood stabilizers. It affects some more than others and therefore it will be a hard addiction to quit for a lot of people. I know I have to learn to cope with anxiety (not life stresses, but an actual anxiety disorder) without smoking as a mood regulator.
Old 11-07-18, 02:42 PM
sebastianshaw1

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
smoking and biking? I can't imagine that. Just lead your healthy life man

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.