Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational)
Reload this Page >

What's next? After gravel, what's the NEXT BIG THING?

Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like :The Dirty Kanza". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

What's next? After gravel, what's the NEXT BIG THING?

Old 10-23-19, 06:20 PM
  #151  
Kapusta
Cyclochondriac
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 2,598
Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1119 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 194 Times in 138 Posts
People are talking about gravel bikes like they are some niche thing. They are anything BUT niche. Pavement bikes (AKA "Road" bikes) are what is niche. Gravel bikes are WAY more versatile and IMO better suited for even a lot of (poorly) paved roads.

They real question should not be "Why get a gravel bike?" It should be "Why buy a paved road bike?"
Kapusta is offline  
Old 10-23-19, 07:04 PM
  #152  
Happy Feet
Senior Member
 
Happy Feet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 3,620
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1427 Post(s)
Liked 297 Times in 187 Posts
Originally Posted by Kapusta View Post
People are talking about gravel bikes like they are some niche thing. They are anything BUT niche. Pavement bikes (AKA "Road" bikes) are what is niche. Gravel bikes are WAY more versatile and IMO better suited for even a lot of (poorly) paved roads.

They real question should not be "Why get a gravel bike?" It should be "Why buy a paved road bike?"
Especially true if you don't try to pigeon hole what a gravel bike is. I would rather call it an "all roads" bike that spans the gambit from streets to non technical trails.
You would then have niche modes that change design or geometry when you want to either race pavement or ride technical off road. Otherwise any endurance capable frame that has larger tire clearance generally fits the bill.

Last edited by Happy Feet; 10-23-19 at 07:09 PM.
Happy Feet is offline  
Old 10-23-19, 07:55 PM
  #153  
Kapusta
Cyclochondriac
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 2,598
Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1119 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 194 Times in 138 Posts
Originally Posted by Happy Feet View Post
Especially true if you don't try to pigeon hole what a gravel bike is. I would rather call it an "all roads" bike that spans the gambit from streets to non technical trails.
You would then have niche modes that change design or geometry when you want to either race pavement or ride technical off road. Otherwise any endurance capable frame that has larger tire clearance generally fits the bill.
I do like the term “All Road” for a lot of what is often called “Gravel”.
Kapusta is offline  
Old 10-26-19, 04:08 AM
  #154  
Ghazmh
Senior Member
 
Ghazmh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Waltham Ma
Posts: 1,101

Bikes: 2019 Honey Allroads Ti, 2018 Seven Redsky XX, 2017 Trek Boon 7, 2016 Soma Smoothie, 2014 Trek 520, 2006 Gary Fisher Montare

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 327 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 33 Posts
Perhaps there will be an industry wide push for recumbrant fat bikes?
Ghazmh is offline  
Old 10-28-19, 08:27 AM
  #155  
zjrog
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 1,233

Bikes: 1986 KHS Fiero, 1989 Trek 950, 1990 Trek 7000, 1992 Trek 1400, 1998 Cannondale R200, 2010 Performance Access XCL9R

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 142 Post(s)
Liked 76 Times in 59 Posts
Growing up, with a Sears Free Sprit Ten Speed about 1977 or so, in riral Kansas, I didn't know any better. Rode that bike everywhere. Pavement, gravel roads, cow paths... then discovered cars...
zjrog is offline  
Old 11-05-19, 07:17 PM
  #156  
dwmckee
Senior Member
 
dwmckee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 1,664

Bikes: Co-Motion Cappuccino Tandem,'88 Bob Jackson Touring, Co-Motion Cascadia Touring, Open U.P., Ritchie Titanium Breakaway, Frances Cycles SmallHaul cargo bike

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 16 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by Kapusta View Post
I do like the term “All Road” for a lot of what is often called “Gravel”.
Allroad is actually the industry name for the category. Gravel is just the nickname.

It is a shame that they called tourong bikes "Touring Bikes." If they called them a cool name like an allroad or a gravel bike then the category would have been much more popular and the modern "gravel' bike might have evolved much sooner. Most gravel bikes have touring bike geometry with a bit more vertical compliance, wider tire clearance and lighter frame weights. Gravel bikes are routinely sold as "light touring bikes" these days. The touring bike geometry is really how most typical riders like to ride, relaxed stable handling, tuned for comfort on longer distances, efficient, but these folks never identified themselves as "tourers"....
dwmckee is online now  
Old 11-05-19, 07:30 PM
  #157  
dwmckee
Senior Member
 
dwmckee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 1,664

Bikes: Co-Motion Cappuccino Tandem,'88 Bob Jackson Touring, Co-Motion Cascadia Touring, Open U.P., Ritchie Titanium Breakaway, Frances Cycles SmallHaul cargo bike

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 16 Times in 12 Posts
How about:

Autonomous self-riding drone bikes that you can send out on a ride when you are too busy, but will livestream the ride and post it automatically to Strava and facebook along with made-up quotes from imaginary followers? And bring home a pizza afterwards?
dwmckee is online now  
Old 11-05-19, 07:44 PM
  #158  
HTupolev
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Seattle
Posts: 2,991
Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1327 Post(s)
Liked 132 Times in 87 Posts
Originally Posted by dwmckee View Post
Most gravel bikes have touring bike geometry
Sort of. The front-end geometries run in the same ballpark, but "touring bikes" in the modern sense usually have monstrously long chainstays to maintain decent weight distribution with a heavy rear pannier load. That can be annoying for unpaved riding: it makes it harder to plant the rear wheel on steep climbs, it makes it harder to unweight the front wheel on loose surfaces, and it creates more separation between the track drawn by the front wheel and that drawn by the rear wheel.
HTupolev is offline  
Old 11-06-19, 12:01 AM
  #159  
katsup
Senior Member
 
katsup's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Southern California
Posts: 845

Bikes: 1991 Fuji Sundance , 2017 Salsa Vaya

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 280 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 33 Posts
Originally Posted by HTupolev View Post
Sort of. The front-end geometries run in the same ballpark, but "touring bikes" in the modern sense usually have monstrously long chainstays to maintain decent weight distribution with a heavy rear pannier load. That can be annoying for unpaved riding: it makes it harder to plant the rear wheel on steep climbs, it makes it harder to unweight the front wheel on loose surfaces, and it creates more separation between the track drawn by the front wheel and that drawn by the rear wheel.
I'd say it varies more by brand / model more than category. Some examples:

Sold as Touring Bikes
2010 Trek 520 = 45cm
1990 Trek 520 = 42.5cm
Long Haul Trucker = 46cm

Sold as Allroad / Gravel
Salsa Vaya = 45cm
Salsa Journeyman = 44cm
Jamis Renegade = 43cm (58cm size)
Giant Anyroad = 43cm
Trek Checkpoint = 43mm

It does seem like the bikes sold as allroad / gravel have chainstay lengths in the middle of road and touring bikes. Basically where touring bikes were in the 90s. However, I wouldn't consider 1-2cm extra "monstrously long".

Last edited by katsup; 11-06-19 at 12:09 AM. Reason: typo
katsup is offline  
Old 11-06-19, 12:23 AM
  #160  
HTupolev
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Seattle
Posts: 2,991
Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1327 Post(s)
Liked 132 Times in 87 Posts
Originally Posted by katsup View Post
I'd say it varies more by brand / model more than category. Some examples:

Sold as Touring Bikes
2010 Trek 520 = 45cm
1990 Trek 520 = 42.5cm
Long Haul Trucker = 46cm

Sold as Allroad / Gravel
Salsa Vaya = 45cm
Salsa Journeyman = 44cm
Jamis Renegade = 43cm (58cm size)
Giant Anyroad = 43cm
Trek Checkpoint = 43mm

It does seem like the bikes sold as allroad / gravel seem to have chainstay lengths in the middle of road and touring bikes. Basically where touring bikes were in the 90s. However, I wouldn't consider 1-2cm extra "monstrously long".
The example of the 1990 520 is why I said "touring bikes in the modern sense." 1990 is trending toward modern, but it wasn't long after the age when many "touring bikes" were basically road racing bikes with clinchers and some lower gears. My '79 Fuji America is supposedly a touring bike, but I enjoy it as much on spirited rides as I do my Emonda, and it severely loses its composure with a big rear load.
I think the Vaya's marketing straddles both categories. Salsa calls it both "gravel" and "light touring."

I'd agree that the extra couple centimeters isn't that huge of a deal from a functional perspective, but chainstay lengths are usually close to as short as the manufacturer can get away with. And mountain bikes try harder in this regard than road bikes do; when your tire is 30mm taller and you've got suspension, having a chainstay that's only 20mm longer is tough.
Road bikes are typically around 400-420mm, gravel and mountain bikes typically around 420-440mm. In that sense, the extra few centimeters on heavy road tourers is off the charts.
HTupolev is offline  
Old 11-06-19, 12:42 AM
  #161  
katsup
Senior Member
 
katsup's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Southern California
Posts: 845

Bikes: 1991 Fuji Sundance , 2017 Salsa Vaya

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 280 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 33 Posts
Originally Posted by HTupolev View Post
I think the Vaya's marketing straddles both categories. Salsa calls it both "gravel" and "light touring."
The journeyman is also marketed as "light touring" while the renegade says "bike packing". Bike packing is cooler way of saying light touring. I think all bikes in this category are marketed like this.

The whole category has a lot of overlap with a variety in chainstay lengths. I think what dwmckee is saying is that if they called 90's touring bikes (for example) by a different name, like all road, the category would be mature.
katsup is offline  
Old 11-06-19, 09:30 AM
  #162  
mstateglfr 
Sunshine
 
mstateglfr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Des Moines, IA
Posts: 9,235

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '87 Schwinn Prelude, Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo, '18 Diamondback Syncr

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3462 Post(s)
Liked 448 Times in 309 Posts
Originally Posted by katsup View Post
I'd say it varies more by brand / model more than category. Some examples
A 430mm chainstay in 1990 for a dedicated touring bike isnt exactly common. The Miyata 1000LT, Fuji Saratoga, and Scwhinn Voyageur were all 450mm in that same time period, and a 1990 Cannondale ST frame had 457mm chainstays.
The Trek 520 had a wild swing in chainstay length thru the 80s and early 90s. The bike started with 430mm stays in '83, when to 455mm stays in '84, dropped all the way down to 425mm stays for the next couple years(and had sidepulls), then '87 thru '91 the stays were 455mm again. Then a couple yeas of 430mm before they went to 450mm in '94 and have been that way since(i think).

Basically, you picked an outlier model and year(and I didnt think the year you mention is correct, but that isnt critical to the discussion). Univega, Nishiki, Bridgestone, Panasonic, Lotus, Schwinn, Cannondale, Miyata and more all used longer chainstays for touring bikes.

Longer chainstays keep the bike tracking straight better than short chainstays, pretty much due to the wheelbase being longer and the rider effectively being more centered between wheels. Its also used on touring bikes to get panniers back behind your heel so there isnt clipping.
This isnt needed on gravel bikes, for the most part. And the further back a wheel is, the less over the wheel you are on climbing which leads to increased chance of spinning out- not ideal.

Also, modern gravel bikes seem to continue to trend towards a slack front end while touring frames for the most part have stayed at 72-73 degree HTA with moderate fork rake. A more stable front end(lower train than many gravel bikes seem to be trending to) when climbing and slower speeds is good for a touring bike since it then better handles weight from panniers.
These things, chainstay length and trail, make a difference in bike handling.

In the end though, gravel bikes are a wide spectrum that apply to remote bikepacking rigs and hammer fast race bikes. There is going to be obvious design differences to account for the varied characteristics within the spectrum.
mstateglfr is offline  
Old 11-06-19, 10:22 AM
  #163  
katsup
Senior Member
 
katsup's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Southern California
Posts: 845

Bikes: 1991 Fuji Sundance , 2017 Salsa Vaya

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 280 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 33 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr View Post
Basically, you picked an outlier model and year(and I didnt think the year you mention is correct, but that isnt critical to the discussion). Univega, Nishiki, Bridgestone, Panasonic, Lotus, Schwinn, Cannondale, Miyata and more all used longer chainstays for touring bikes.
I made this chart from the 1990 Trek catalog awhile ago when I was curious about the difference between the 520 and 750/790 of that year. E is the chainstay measurement. 1990 was also the first year they went to 700c (I have one).


The head tube angles are different between the two categories, at least the ones I have been comparing, so I agree with you there. My whole point is that there is a lot of overlap in the categories used by marketing, which I think you are saying, so we are also in agreement.
katsup is offline  
Old 11-11-19, 11:55 AM
  #164  
Caliper
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Michigan
Posts: 910

Bikes: Many

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 331 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 21 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr View Post
In the end though, gravel bikes are a wide spectrum that apply to remote bikepacking rigs and hammer fast race bikes. There is going to be obvious design differences to account for the varied characteristics within the spectrum.
Actually, this could be the next thing... Where mountain bikes went from just "mountain bikes" to downhill, trail, XC, etc, Gravel bikes may be ready to move into more discrete categories like allroad, performance, adventure, bikepacking, etc.
Caliper is offline  
Old 11-11-19, 12:40 PM
  #165  
gravelslider
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Posts: 49
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Caliper View Post
Actually, this could be the next thing... Where mountain bikes went from just "mountain bikes" to downhill, trail, XC, etc, Gravel bikes may be ready to move into more discrete categories like allroad, performance, adventure, bikepacking, etc.
There already is a basic split to short wheelbase (Open, 3T) for racing orientation and long wheelbase for more relaxed riding (Jamis, Bombtrack, Salsa).
gravelslider is offline  
Old 11-11-19, 10:07 PM
  #166  
Caliper
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Michigan
Posts: 910

Bikes: Many

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 331 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 21 Posts
Originally Posted by gravelslider View Post
There already is a basic split to short wheelbase (Open, 3T) for racing orientation and long wheelbase for more relaxed riding (Jamis, Bombtrack, Salsa).
I agree, the differences exist in the hardware. But they are all marketed as "gravel bikes" which lumps a very wide range of intended uses under one roof. "Adventure bike" seems a good name for the more offroad side of gravel riding that is starting to look like dropbar mountain bikes, as opposed to the gravel road side that more resembles road biking on dirt. Really what I think we're seeing is filling in the gradients between paved road bikes and mountain bikes (or to take it further, between road bikes and fat bikes).
Caliper is offline  
Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
pbass
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational)
51
06-02-19 12:14 PM
dgodave
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational)
18
03-17-17 12:25 PM
9five9
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational)
2
01-04-15 08:51 PM
slipknot0129
General Cycling Discussion
27
10-05-10 11:44 AM
wunderkind
Road Cycling
48
09-02-10 05:09 AM

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.