Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Wahoo Buys Speedplay

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Wahoo Buys Speedplay

Old 09-24-19, 04:38 PM
Psimet2001 
I eat carbide.

Bikes: Lots. Van Dessel and Squid Dealer

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1325 Post(s)
Liked 1,306 Times in 560 Posts
Wahoo Buys Speedplay

Wahoo bought Speedplay. Another shot in the war between Wahoo and Garmin. Discuss pros and cons.

Old 09-24-19, 04:55 PM
Marcus_Ti
FLIR Kitten to 0.05C

Bikes: Roadie: Seven Axiom Race Ti w/Chorus 11s. CX/Adventure: Carver Gravel Grinder w/ Di2

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 2349 Post(s)
Liked 406 Times in 254 Posts
I'm wondering what Wahoo will do about Ye Olde Speedplay's MAP policy.
Old 09-24-19, 05:06 PM
Psimet2001 
I eat carbide.

I don't think that will be much of the big overlying issue

Old 09-24-19, 05:10 PM
Psimet2001 
I eat carbide.

For those that remember - back when Garmin was developing a power meter for pedals they were working with Speedplay. That fell through towards the end of development. If you know much about stories with Speedplay then you know they are the fiercest when it comes to control of image, market, pricing, etc. During the breakup Garmin grabbed Exustar as a pedal platform - Look Keo clone.

Garmin and Wahoo have been going head to head. GPS units, New radars that are all ant+ compliant. Smart trainers (Tacx acquisition).

SRAM bought Powertap mainly for the pedals with little to no warning and seemingly quickly. I know the product manager who was there. He said, "I had no idea it was coming. It was an instantaneous thing. Next day I am packing up product and equipment and moving it to SD".

Old 09-24-19, 05:59 PM
sumgy

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 359 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 58 Posts
Waiting for Wahoo to bring out virtual cycling specific pedals within Speedplay's next round of products.
Old 09-24-19, 06:17 PM
Nessism
Banned.

Bikes: Homebuilt steel

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 2193 Post(s)
Liked 425 Times in 337 Posts
I've been riding Speedplay going back to the solid aluminum puck version X-series jobbies. Love um. A little sad to see them gobbled up by a conglomerate but that's the way of the world these days I suppose. Hope the product quality stays high and they support the end users like days of old.
Likes For Nessism:
Old 09-24-19, 06:19 PM
sumgy

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 359 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 58 Posts
Originally Posted by Nessism
I've been riding Speedplay going back to the solid aluminum puck version X-series jobbies. Love um. A little sad to see them gobbled up by a conglomerate but that's the way of the world these days I suppose. Hope the product quality stays high and they support the end users like days of old.
Yep, I have them on both of my road bikes.
Won't ride anything else.
Likes For sumgy:
Old 09-24-19, 07:26 PM
jfranci3

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 38 Posts
Can Wahoo fix the Frog? Seriously, put a bigger bearing in it and make the body less prone to water ingress.

With all the Shimano clones out there, Speedplay is the only unique product out there. A PM won't fit in a current speedplay body though, so they'll need to lose some of their weight/packaging advantage. It looks like Speedplay key IP expires in 6 years and they're moving manufacturing overseas, so Wahoo pretty much just wants the built-in audience or to prevent someone else from grabbing them.
Old 09-25-19, 12:19 AM
Leinster

Bikes: MBK Super Mirage 1991, CAAD10, Yuba Mundo Lux, and a Cannondale Criterium Single Speed

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Liked 297 Times in 207 Posts
Originally Posted by jfranci3
Can Wahoo fix the Frog? Seriously, put a bigger bearing in it and make the body less prone to water ingress.

With all the Shimano clones out there, Speedplay is the only unique product out there. A PM won't fit in a current speedplay body though, so they'll need to lose some of their weight/packaging advantage. It looks like Speedplay key IP expires in 6 years and they're moving manufacturing overseas, so Wahoo pretty much just wants the built-in audience or to prevent someone else from grabbing them.
Maybe it'll go in the cleat? Plenty of room in there.
Old 09-25-19, 05:15 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4728 Post(s)
Liked 1,530 Times in 1,001 Posts
The salient bit from the article below. I have to wonder though -- wouldn't there have to be a lot of Speedplay patents coming up or already past expiration; ie. sooner or later the knockoffs would legally be on the market?

"Wahoo founder Chip Hawkins said he thought Speedplay had the best pedal technology and felt the brand could benefit from product line tweeks and improved distribution. He said when he went to buy Speedplay pedals for personal use a few years ago, they were hard to find and difficult to choose between models. He hopes to fix both problems.

"I think Wahoo has always evolved from pain points I had in my personal life," Hawkins said.

He only half-dodged the question from those who follow this market segment: Will the acquisition lead to a pedal-based Wahoo power meter?

“We never talk about upcoming products,” he told BRAIN. But he made clear that if Wahoo did offer a power meter, it would be pedal-based."
Old 09-25-19, 05:17 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 4728 Post(s)
Liked 1,530 Times in 1,001 Posts
Originally Posted by Leinster
Maybe it'll go in the cleat? Plenty of room in there.
true.. but I'd prefer it in the pedal; I don't want to buy a power meter for each pair of shoes I use.
Likes For Sy Reene:
Old 09-25-19, 08:22 AM
tagaproject6

Bikes: Wilier Izoard XP (Record);Cinelli Xperience (Force);Specialized Allez (Rival);Bianchi Via Nirone 7 (Centaur); Colnago AC-R Disc;Colnago V1r Limited Edition;De Rosa King 3 Limited(Force 22);DeRosa Merak(Red):Pinarello Dogma 65.1 Hydro(Di2)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 551 Post(s)
Liked 277 Times in 145 Posts
Competition is good. More research, more new toys. Hopefully, more competitive pricing.
Old 09-25-19, 09:06 AM
topflightpro

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1851 Post(s)
Liked 678 Times in 429 Posts
Putting a PM in Speedplay has been an ongoing challenge that no one has figured out yet.

Brimm Brothers was closest and tried doing the PM in the cleat. They had a working prototype. DC Rainmaker hyped it up. And they opened to pre-orders and started taking money. Then it never happened - lots of people lost a lot of money when Brimm closed shop suddenly.
Old 09-25-19, 09:51 AM
Psimet2001 
I eat carbide.

Originally Posted by topflightpro
Putting a PM in Speedplay has been an ongoing challenge that no one has figured out yet.

Brimm Brothers was closest and tried doing the PM in the cleat. They had a working prototype. DC Rainmaker hyped it up. And they opened to pre-orders and started taking money. Then it never happened - lots of people lost a lot of money when Brimm closed shop suddenly.
Yeah I used to follow Brimm early on in the power meter wars. A lot has changed technology wise. I wouldn't put it out of grasp at all.

Point here being though that Brimm didn't just go buy Speedplay. That's not done lightly and without a solid agenda and need.

Old 09-25-19, 01:22 PM
topflightpro

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1851 Post(s)
Liked 678 Times in 429 Posts
Originally Posted by Psimet2001
Yeah I used to follow Brimm early on in the power meter wars. A lot has changed technology wise. I wouldn't put it out of grasp at all.

Point here being though that Brimm didn't just go buy Speedplay. That's not done lightly and without a solid agenda and need.
Totally agree. I think that SRM was able to integrate a PM into an MTB pedal spindle proves that it can be done.
Old 09-26-19, 09:18 AM
Caliper

Bikes: Many

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 385 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 43 Posts
Tried Speedplay pedals, ended up taking them off. I was actually slower to clip in with the SP's. The engagement force was too high and after a few times where the cleat slipped off the side of the pedal while trying to engage, I went back to Look.

A power meter integrated into the cleat sounds great though and Speedplay has the configuration to do it across road and MTB. Wahoo probably has the R&D dollars to make it happen. Should be interesting.
Likes For Caliper:
Old 09-26-19, 09:27 AM
Marcus_Ti
FLIR Kitten to 0.05C

Bikes: Roadie: Seven Axiom Race Ti w/Chorus 11s. CX/Adventure: Carver Gravel Grinder w/ Di2

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 2349 Post(s)
Liked 406 Times in 254 Posts
Originally Posted by Caliper
Tried Speedplay pedals, ended up taking them off. I was actually slower to clip in with the SP's. The engagement force was too high and after a few times where the cleat slipped off the side of the pedal while trying to engage, I went back to Look.

A power meter integrated into the cleat sounds great though and Speedplay has the configuration to do it across road and MTB. Wahoo probably has the R&D dollars to make it happen. Should be interesting.
Was already a thing 5 years ago...granted I don't know what happened to BB since:

https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2014/09/...roduction.html
Old 09-26-19, 09:35 AM
Caliper

Originally Posted by Marcus_Ti
Was already a thing 5 years ago...granted I don't know what happened to BB since:

https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2014/09/...roduction.html
See post #13 above...
Old 09-26-19, 09:49 AM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
I didn't realize Wahoo was big enough to buy Speedplay.
Old 09-26-19, 09:49 AM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
Originally Posted by Sy Reene
true.. but I'd prefer it in the pedal; I don't want to buy a power meter for each pair of shoes I use.
Or wear them out a few times a year.
Likes For Seattle Forrest:
Old 09-26-19, 10:59 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 353 Post(s)
Quoted: 20791 Post(s)
Liked 9,436 Times in 4,663 Posts
Originally Posted by Caliper
9 times out of 10, when someone new to Speedplay has these kinds of problems, it's because they didn't RTFM and they overtightened the screws.
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 09-26-19, 11:48 AM
Voodoo76
Blast from the Past

Bikes: Felt FR1, Ridley Excal, CAAD10, Trek 5500, Cannondale Slice

Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 43 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi
9 times out of 10, when someone new to Speedplay has these kinds of problems, it's because they didn't RTFM and they overtightened the screws.
Yep, that and using the wrong adapter shims, cleat surface not flat. For me Zero's have been very reliable in and out.

Hope that Wahoo doesn't fiddle with them too much, don't want to start having pedal problems on my SRM crank.
Old 09-26-19, 11:54 AM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1743 Post(s)
Liked 1,279 Times in 739 Posts
Maybe it's just me but I just want Speedplay to stay the same. Power meters are irrelevant to me. I love what I've been riding for 20 yrs.
Likes For bruce19:
Old 09-26-19, 12:49 PM
redlude97

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 1975 Post(s)
Liked 232 Times in 173 Posts
The new walkable cleats are amazing compared to the old design. My GF uses them because she likes the dual sided clip in, I do all the setup and service every few months and they keep chugging along. The older design worked best with keep on covers to keep some dirt/grime out but they can last 10,000+ miles if taken care of
Likes For redlude97:
Old 09-26-19, 01:01 PM
Caliper

Originally Posted by WhyFi
I used a torque wrench, because I know how to use a search engine. The clip in the cleat was free to move and release was never an issue, I just never felt confident on engagement.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.