Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Power Lifting

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Power Lifting

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-19, 06:02 AM
Stormsedge

Bikes: 2017 Trek Domane SL6 Disc, 1990 Schwinn Crosscut Frankenroadbike, 2015 KHS Team 29 FS, 2000 Gary Fisher Tassajara--gone but not forgotten

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 155 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 30 Posts
Originally Posted by scott967
As retired Navy I can use base gyms, and I live next to Schofield Barracks in Hawaii (home of the 25th Infantry Division) so use their gym 3 days a week. Working out next to the troops is motivating. I used to do a lot of powerlifting, but in my 60s find that I have good strength but I easily get joint injury (especially shoulder) so I have cut back and do more nautilus. I find the machines isolate the muscle with less risk of joint pain. The Army seems to like to do olympic-style lifting. I've never seen so many people doing clean and jerk or snatch anywhere else. They also have their new PRT where they pull a weighted sled.

scott s.
Go Navy. Retired Navy here too, and I do miss going to the base gyms (nothing near here)...I do not miss the tightly packed shipboard gyms, however. Those with military service at my Y, and many of the police/fire personnel largely maintain a nod and greet policy. I use both machines and free weights, but do not seek max lift on the free weights anymore...if I had a regular workout partner I might, but getting a casual spot can be iffy.
Old 11-09-19, 08:51 AM
peterws

Bikes: Carrera Virtuoso and friend

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked 47 Times in 38 Posts
Originally Posted by Stormsedge
Those with military service at my Y, and many of the police/fire personnel largely maintain a nod and greet policy.
I guess that's the difference between men and women. I always envy the women that way they talk, and laugh, talk and . . .like an ever running stream. Never EVER run out of topics! They seem to have so much more fun . . . .
Old 11-09-19, 10:55 AM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3886 Post(s)
Liked 1,938 Times in 1,383 Posts
This came in my email today: 6 Reasons Cyclists Need Strength Training (Updated)
Old 11-10-19, 05:32 AM
Stormsedge

Bikes: 2017 Trek Domane SL6 Disc, 1990 Schwinn Crosscut Frankenroadbike, 2015 KHS Team 29 FS, 2000 Gary Fisher Tassajara--gone but not forgotten

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 155 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 30 Posts
Originally Posted by peterws
I guess that's the difference between men and women. I always envy the women that way they talk, and laugh, talk and . . .like an ever running stream. Never EVER run out of topics! They seem to have so much more fun . . . .
Lol...there are men at my gym that spend their entire visit leaning on equipment while talking...I don't happen to be one of them as I'm there to work. I do have a short conversation with some from time to time, but they know I'm there to work and keep it short. Just a difference in people,